Week 2: Hilliard Darby @ Hilliard Davidson

Yes, they beat Teays Valley by 31-6. Marysville (Bradley's week 1 17-10 win) lost again tonight (30-10 to Jonathan Alder). I'm beginning to think Marysville may have not been as good as advertised.

Bradley has Westland next week and that will be ugly for the Cougars. I'm curious to see how Bradley does vs. Westerville South and Westerville Central in weeks 4/5. Those should be some interesting games.

Those will be very interesting now won't they...

AS for Mville against JA...JA is a pretty darn good program...they got all those corn fed...hard as nails farm boys out there...The Thomas Worthington coach said of last years JA team...That they were prob the best team they played all year...And they play in the OCC Central :eek:

Funny thing though, BG, Bradley scrimmaged Alder and blew them up. Any given week in high school football.

Davidson seems to have trouble getting those blocking in the back calls. Welcome Stadium? State semi's? Ring any bells? Bad luck I guess.

Yeah...Huge Bells...like the Liberty Bell...or even bigger yet...Taco Bell!!!

I'm sure you are just pushing my buttons...but those at :welcome: were back breakers...no calls on big plays...right in front of the refs...anyway...that's over and done...but yeah now that you mention it...we do seem to have a bit of trouble getting that call Lol

Those will be very interesting now won't they...

AS for Mville against JA...JA is a pretty darn good program...they got all those corn fed...hard as nails farm boys out there...The Thomas Worthington coach said of last years JA team...That they were prob the best team they played all year...And they play in the OCC Central :eek:

2011 Davidson > 2011 JA

Yeah...Huge Bells...like the Liberty Bell...or even bigger yet...Taco Bell!!!

I'm sure you are just pushing my buttons...but those at :welcome: were back breakers...no calls on big plays...right in front of the refs...anyway...that's over and done...but yeah now that you mention it...we do seem to have a bit of trouble getting that call Lol

I was there. No not really pushing your buttons. Those non-calls still irk me. They had a HUGE impact on the game b/c both times the D would have held, but instead Wayne ended up scoring TD's on both drives. Let's be honest, I'm pretty sure the OHSAA wanted a Braxton Miller vs St. Edward state final that year instead of Davidson vs St. Edward. That 2010 Davidson team was one of my favorites. I enjoyed watching them that year.

2011 Davidson > 2011 JA

Well yeah...I would think also...tho JA did make the playoffs and won a couple also...I watched one of those on replay...I think they lost the one I watched...even in a losing effort they looked really good...I like their style and attitude...they had a really good running back...I believe he was a senior tho...

I was just reporting what TWs coach had said of JA...as for the HB JA scrimmage...I don't put much stock in scrimmage results...esp if both are decent programs...

I was there. No not really pushing your buttons. Those non-calls still irk me. They had a HUGE impact on the game b/c both times the D would have held, but instead Wayne ended up scoring TD's on both drives. Let's be honest, I'm pretty sure the OHSAA wanted a Braxton Miller vs St. Edward state final that year instead of Davidson vs St. Edward. That 2010 Davidson team was one of my favorites. I enjoyed watching them that year.

Yeah I wasn't gonna rehash it...but they were monumental I believe...they cost our D valuable field time to make adjustments...They make those calls...and our D stays out...that in turn gives us time to see what they are doing...instead the no calls turn to quick TDs and our D is off the field before we know it...that ran us into the 3rd Q before we could adjust and figure out how to stop them...by then it was too late...

The majority of the Davidson fan base seems to be family of all participants (cheerleaders, players, band members, etc) and alum casually coming to visit friends. Most of which don't care much about the game its self. Thus leaving fans like me and OlH standing and cheering while seemingly everyone else sits there lethargically likely finding our noise obtrusive. One would think that after 2 state titles and consistent competent football we would have more supporters there for football. :wallbang:

Failing to put it in the endzone when given first and 5 after the bad punt snap kinda set the tempo for the game. Granted we were outmatched, but I do question White's decision making. Electing to pass on 4th and 5 yards out instead of kick to make it a one score game (at the end of the "passing drive") was beyond me, as a successful kick would have made it 14-6. Also, coming out running the ball straight up the gut in the 4th quarter every down is beyond me, especially following such a successful drive through the air. Hell the only pass that drive I believe was thrown by EJ Jennings! (Which I also don't get why he wasn't given the ball more over Waters, same with Motely)

All in all, Darby is the better team, though immature and excessive with their celebration in a game I think most thought they were favored in. However, with more Davidson like execution we have seen in years past, I think this game still should have been closer, even with the talent drop obviously impacting the team this year.

Will be interesting to see if the idea that Davidson gets better as the year goes on and would perform well in these big games in October turns out to be true, as it is painfully obvious that this team is struggling right now. Looks like a repeat of 2007 folks, can't be a top tier contender every year as one of 3 schools in a public Columbus area district.

Last edited:
Actually Olh, I was at the Bradley/Alder scrimmage and I saw Alder play Shawnee in the playoffs last year. This year's team is a shadow of last year's. Maybe they improve, I can't say. Davidson last year smokes them, no doubt. Much too physical for them to handle. UA also outmuscles them big time. Coffman just flys past them. TW coach is prone to hyperbole.

How does the Bradley/Marysville game differ from JA/Marysville? Bradley refused to open up against Marysville, they played the game very, very close to the vest and were up by two scores early. Marysville pounded that game back into round as Bradley sat on their lead. If Bradley opens up and plays they beat Marysville by more than 7. I hate Bradley's running game (no Scipios in the lineup). They can throw though. And, if they use that short passing game they are very effective. Come week ten we will learn who the 2nd best team in Hilliard is. They can beat Darby, of this I have no doubt.

Let me get a box of tissues for Olwildcat!
What a joke you are!
Darby controlled all 3 phases of the game. Only their mistakes kept Davidson that close. Block in the back...Puhlease! You are cracking us red headed step children up! I wouldnt think you would need any calls to go your way.

50 is Stephen Hernon who has been blocking downfield like that since 7th grade.
Its not blocking in the back when defender is engaged and he turtles up turning his back so he doesnt get pancaked.

35 is Trevor Parker who was knifing in the backfield all night.(and he is a wrestler!)

Let me get a box of tissues for Olwildcat!
What a joke you are!
Darby controlled all 3 phases of the game. Only their mistakes kept Davidson that close. Block in the back...Puhlease! You are cracking us red headed step children up! I wouldnt think you would need any calls to go your way.

First of all...Ms lites...Don't believe I was crying...but thanks for your concerne...

Secondly...ummm let me see...I don't believe I ever said that we needed those calls to win...I believe I said even with the block in the back, called...Darby prob scores anyway...

And lastly...yes Darby and Bradley are still the Redheaded stepchildren...

Davidson still rules Hilliard sports recognition around the state...The other two have decades of time to make up...not to mention a couple trips to Canton wouldn't hurt...

I gave Darby their props...and said my Cats were bad...and prob have a tough row to hoe to make the playoffs...

So not sure what post you read...but maybe you wanna reread it...

Tim...I never said that Davidson wouldn't have beat JA last year...Just repeating a thought a coach had...and reporting what I saw in one of their playoff games...the they had a nice team...I liked their style...and their look...never said HD wouldn't have beat them...they are a lower division school I would hope that a perennial power, from the Cap city area of the 6th toughest state to win a state championship in, playing in yet another playoff season...would have beatin JA...just was sayin they have a nice program over there...it should be no surprise they can beat the likes of Mville and others...

GO HD CATS!!!

Come week ten we will learn who the 2nd best team in Hilliard is. They can beat Darby, of this I have no doubt.

If healthy, I still like Darby's chances in that one, although Bradley certainly could win. Hard to tell exactly how good Bradley is right now. We'll find out more when the OCC Cardinal slate opens up. I think right now, you have to give the nod to Darby over Davidson. As far as a program is concerned, Davidson is obviously tops in Hilliard.

Next year, Bradley is primed to make some noise, and Davidson should return to familiar form. I will say this... Darby has good talent at both the sophomore and freshman levels. If those classes develop and mature, Darby might be off a bit next year, but the future after that could be bright.

JV
Darby 14
Davidson 13
Great game Davidson took the lead with about 5-6 min left then Darby took it down the field to score the winning TD with 1 min left in the game.

Frosh
Darby was up 6-0 at half.
Seemed to be moving the ball well and controlling the game but had two picks to slow themselves down.
Could be a weekend sweep!

JV
Darby 14
Davidson 13
Great game Davidson took the lead with about 5-6 min left then Darby took it down the field to score the winning TD with 1 min left in the game.

Frosh
Darby was up 6-0 at half.
Seemed to be moving the ball well and controlling the game but had two picks to slow themselves down.
Could be a weekend sweep!

Darby frosh win also... 6-0. Stopped Davidson cold on 4th down in their own territory and took over on downs, moved the ball for a couple of first downs and ran out the clock once they got to the 11.

Very interesting to see people's emotions after rivalry games . Reading Huddle { I don't post there but read it once in a while , one forum is more than enough and I don't want to cut and paste} and this forum it is very predictable EVEN BEFORE PEOPLE post what the thmees are going to be becuase they are universal and obvious .

I admit to partaking in it on occassion as well in the past, I try not too and for the most part avoid it .

What I mean , is the indignation that " SOME " Davidson fans feel about the way Darby carried on after the game . It is as old as the tides , a championship level program that gets soundly beaten starting in on the wqay the team that kicked thier azzz celebrasted the big event. HAPPENS ALL THE TIME , Instead of just taking the infrequent loss with a modicum of class and resignination it is time to attack the lack of class of the other team in it's joy overt doing something rtare which is beat the championship level program, a team that shut them out three straight years.

Now some Davidson fans didn'[t do this of course , but to say YOUR SAINTED PROGRAM who is the beacon of all that is good and great in this nation wouold never behave that way is missinG THE POINT. you aren't in their shoes , you can't even put yourself in their position and imagine that you too would be excited may be a bit overly so if the roles were reversed?

No big deal but that sentiment coming from the all powerful program that loses only once in while isn't exactly well versed in dealing with it so they lash out and claim victory in BEING MORE CLASSY SOMEHOW , becuase they can't make a case for being better on the field on that night anyway .

Secondly , go to this week's news account of the game , isn't it usually Former Wildcat that posts them for us? { check out the last paragraph } , and you'll notice that just like back in 2007 when Brian White threw his Senior class under the bus calling them poor leaders and losers { IN PRINT AND IN NUMEROUS RADIO INTERVIEWS I HEARD WITH MY OWN EARS SO DON'T TRY TO SAY IT ISN'T TRUE I AND MANY OTHER HEARD IT 4 DIFFERENT TIMES AND READ IT IN PRINT IN THE FEW YEARS AFTER THAT NON PLAY-OFF SEASON} he is back at it , he senes the team will EMBARRASS HIM , and he is lashing out at them, claiming they have poor leadership skills and that they can't even prepare properly beucase theose damn Seniors are so leadership starved, YEAH BRI THAT'S THE PROBELM, IF THEY HAD BETTER LEADERSHIP SKILLS YOU WOJULDN'T HAVE TO BLAST THEM IN THE PRESS.

Senior players most playing their last season of football ever , have worked hard for the last few years in the program and after week two they have to read that their coach blames their lack of charachter and leadertship skills and THAT'S THE REASON THE TEAM APPEARS TO BE MEDICORE THIS YEAR . I have always known that White is a poor loser { save the show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser there are degrees and he shows little to no class when losing } not being on the the sidelines for week one is evidence of that { personal fouls on the sidelines when the little kid threw a tantrum when he knew he was going to lose} , but I ahve to say that even I am surprised that it took him only two weeks to do this to his Seniors , INCREDIBLE ARROGANCE that he feels he needs to blame somehow or a group for ONE LOSS even if to a rival.

YOU MAY MEASURE THE GUY AS A WINNER and point to all those wins as evidecne of it and two one point wins in title games going for two also point to brilliance and traits of a great man, but I like to measure guys how they react when things go poorly and this guy FAILS BIG TIME . Get used to it Senior class you wil be mentioned by this great man a few more times this season as to why you got your beat , it won't be becuase may the other team had better players and more talent or simply played better than your average team that night , IT WILL BE BEUCASE YOU LACK CHARACHTER ADN LEADERSHIP , He wil sacrifice your reputation in the press in order to keep his own ego in tact.

I see a lack of leadership skills from him right now and always do whenever they lose however infrequent, but suffice to say this Senior class is going to be blasted again at some point that much I can guarentee I know the loyal followers will claim that the Seniors are the probelm and that it's jsut a coincidence that in 2007 and this year amd may be a few times in the late 90's and early 200'2 that the Seniors were the problem in EVERY year that isn't an uber successful one , that's OK I expect nothing different, but to not even raise an eyebrow over the incredibly predictable reactions to losses by this guy and his showing up good kids in the press is your choice adn one I am sure you wil make as well . We all have had tough coaches at some point who have yelled , screamed adn told people they need to be stronger charachter wise , it's motivation but not many coaches do thsi in the PRESS OR ON RADIO , that sets him apart , claiming thet they were outcoached DOESN'T MAKE UP FOR HIS LAST BLAST which you wil notice was THE LAST WORD HE WANTED YOU TO HEAR . Advice to HD Senior players, hold your heads high IT ISN'T YOUR FAULT, Your coach throwing you under the bus is a tradition of his IT'S HIS PROBELM DONT; TAKE IT PERSONAL

Last edited:
Very interesting to see people's emotions after rivalry games . Reading Huddle { I don't post there but read it once in a while , one forum is more than enough and I don't want to cut and paste} and this forum it is very predictable EVEN BEFORE PEOPLE post what the thmees are going to be becuase they are universal and obvious .

I admit to partaking in it on occassion as well in the past, I try not too and for the most part avoid it .

What I mean , is the indignation that " SOME " Davidson fans feel about the way Darby carried on after the game . It is as old as the tides , a championship level program that gets soundly beaten starting in on the wqay the team that kicked thier azzz celebrasted the big event. HAPPENS ALL THE TIME , Instead of just taking the infrequent loss with a modicum of class and resignination it is time to attack the lack of class of the other team in it's joy overt doing something rtare which is beat the championship level program, a team that shut them out three straight years.

Now some Davidson fans didn'[t do this of course , but to say YOUR SAINTED PROGRAM who is the beacon of all that is good and great in this nation wouold never behave that way is missinG THE POINT. you aren't in their shoes , you can't even put yourself in their position and imagine that you too would be excited may be a bit overly so if the roles were reversed?

No big deal but that sentiment coming from the all powerful program that loses only once in while isn't exactly well versed in dealing with it so they lash out and claim victory in BEING MORE CLASSY SOMEHOW , becuase they can't make a case for being better on the field on that night anyway .

Secondly , go to this week's news account of the game , isn't it usually Former Wildcat that posts them for us? { check out the last paragraph } , and you'll notice that just like back in 2007 when Brian White threw his Senior class under the bus calling them poor leaders and losers { IN PRINT AND IN NUMEROUS RADIO INTERVIEWS I HEARD WITH MY OWN EARS SO DON'T TRY TO SAY IT ISN'T TRUE I AND MANY OTHER HEARD IT 4 DIFFERENT TIMES AND READ IT IN PRINT IN THE FEW YEARS AFTER THAT NON PLAY-OFF SEASON} he is back at it , he senes the team will EMBARRASS HIM , and he is lashing out at them, claiming they have poor leadership skills and that they can't even prepare properly beucase theose damn Seniors are so leadership starved, YEAH BRI THAT'S THE PROBELM, IF THEY HAD BETTER LEADERSHIP SKILLS YOU WOJULDN'T HAVE TO BLAST THEM IN THE PRESS.

Senior players most playing their last season of football ever , have worked hard for the last few years in the program and after week two they have to read that their coach blames their lack of charachter and leadertship skills and THAT'S THE REASON THE TEAM APPEARS TO BE MEDICORE THIS YEAR . I have always known that White is a poor loser { save the show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser there are degrees and he shows little to no class when losing } not being on the the sidelines for week one is evidence of that { personal fouls on the sidelines when the little kid threw a tantrum when he knew he was going to lose} , but I ahve to say that even I am surprised that it took him only two weeks to do this to his Seniors , INCREDIBLE ARROGANCE that he feels he needs to blame somehow or a group for ONE LOSS even if to a rival.

YOU MAY MEASURE THE GUY AS A WINNER and point to all those wins as evidecne of it and two one point wins in title games going for two also point to brilliance and traits of a great man, but I like to measure guys how they react when things go poorly and this guy FAILS BIG TIME . Get used to it Senior class you wil be mentioned by this great man a few more times this season as to why you got your beat , it won't be becuase may the other team had better players and more talent or simply played better than your average team that night , IT WILL BE BEUCASE YOU LACK CHARACHTER ADN LEADERSHIP , He wil sacrifice your reputation in the press in order to keep his own ego in tact.

I see a lack of leadership skills from him right now and always do whenever they lose however infrequent, but suffice to say this Senior class is going to be blasted again at some point that much I can guarentee I know the loyal followers will claim that the Seniors are the probelm and that it's jsut a coincidence that in 2007 and this year amd may be a few times in the late 90's and early 200'2 that the Seniors were the problem in EVERY year that isn't an uber successful one , that's OK I expect nothing different, but to not even raise an eyebrow over the incredibly predictable reactions to losses by this guy and his showing up good kids in the press is your choice adn one I am sure you wil make as well . We all have had tough coaches at some point who have yelled , screamed adn told people they need to be stronger charachter wise , it's motivation but not many coaches do thsi in the PRESS OR ON RADIO , that sets him apart , claiming thet they were outcoached DOESN'T MAKE UP FOR HIS LAST BLAST which you wil notice was THE LAST WORD HE WANTED YOU TO HEAR . Advice to HD Senior players, hold your heads high IT ISN'T YOUR FAULT, Your coach throwing you under the bus is a tradition of his IT'S HIS PROBELM DONT; TAKE IT PERSONAL

Classic...

Are you agreeing or disagreeing Money ? It's accurate , I always praise the guy for his building of great program they guy gets more than enough praise for all the winning , BUT when he does lose this crap happens LIKE CLOCKWORK IT'S AS SURE AS THE TIDES DEATH AND TAXES , IT'S TIRED IT'S CLASSLESS AND WRONG , period .

A little recap of the game thru my lense.
I do cut and paste from the other forum stiv lol.

The Darby qb exchange is very concerning.
I saw on the replay that chase pulled out early and didnt ride the center on one so I wouldnt put it all on center Still. Im a former snapper so he has my support altho I figured at game time it was his fault since Chase is a Sr and has had alot of time qbing. The injured Sr center, Martin is still rehabbing and progressing. Im hoping he gets back in time for those Westerville games. Still will give our line some much needed depth when/if Martin returns. He has done an admirable job so far and this will help Darby out next yr too with having 3 Jrs starting on the line this yr.

They kicking game was a huge advantage for Darby. As i pointed out in my mini break down of this game that Darby would have that said advantage, how many times in the past 8 yrs has Davidson been on the other side of a kicking advantage? Prolly never!
Kaplan and Green boom them!

Line play...I think darby controlled the line.
Zack Williams is a beast! He needs to get some more recognition IMO.
He was coming off injuries that limited him to just offense in game 1.
He anchors that line and fello Sr Hernon loves to get downfield and make blocks. Humbert was the other lineman coming back from injury(which was a major concern) and along with his fellow Jr Hajaar played well.
Dline with the Williams/Hernon going both ways, some of the subs for them played well to give them some blows. This will have to continue and even improve over the season. Someone mentioned wanting Kelso to get back for catching the ball, well i think we miss him more here at DE(Darby has PLENTY of receivers that can catch the ball, we just dont throw it! We didnt need to against Davidson as the game plan was to power run and hit the outside with Day and some of the other backs as Davidson D is still a bit green) Unsung hero goes to Van Kirk going to Dline late in camp to add some depth as he is a very good linebacker and undersized for dline.
Darbys Nose, Knuteson(sp) did a good job holding his position. He is a big hoss at 3bills and he eats up 2 blockers leaving the LBs the space to operate.
LBs are the strength of the team and Kohl didnt disappoint, but it was a coming out party for Trevor Parker(35).
I heard alot of talk about why Jennings didnt get the ball more. Well every time he did Mr Parker was in his face dropping him for big losses. Not sure what the blocking scheme was(maybe too worried about Kohl?) Parker stepped in for Jevon White last yr when he got hurt. It was a big blow to the Darby D last yr and Parker filled in well but it was big shoes to fill as a soph. Turns out it was a big gain this yr getting that experience(and he is a wreslter so props are due!).
DBs were solid for the most part. Day locks down half the field which is so nice. The soph Cox filled in admirably for the missing Sr at corner. He made a nice play breaking up the halfback pass after getting beat on the Davidson air white drive(big for him to step up in a pressure cooker). Booth is a hitter sticking the qb many times on that option and had a great break up on the 4th and 5 play(props to hernon who tipped the ball at the line). Longwell is really good on D and it showed. He was gassed at the end so hopefully Stacie or someone else can step up and take more of the load off his shoulders.

Davidson
Their line still fires off the ball well. But I didnt see the normal push and sustained blacks like the past. I think they will get better as yr goes on tho.
Abel is a great line coach
QB Iskie is good. I liked his reads and he always seemed to be able to dive forward when stopped. He threw some nice balls too in the new air white attack and had a really great scramble to get Dave out of the whole after the fumbled(but recovered) punt. He then hit a nice pass to motley on the pump fake streak on the next play. He hit another nice pass on a slant to Waters on that same drive to get the ball to the 10. I think davidson went to throw the ball 3 times in 4 plays...blasphemy!
Motley is super fast. He is a ball player too. I forsee them trying to get him the ball more. Darby shut the running game down but I think that had more to do with Darbys D than anything.
Waters looks like a really nice all around football player.
Davidsons D actually did better than I thought. Backenstow looks like he is going to be a stud(he is now but he is only going to get better) He has a great frame and has some lineage(pops played at OU). He will start to get some offers after this season IMO(and he is a really good kid too) Doty looked solid at ML and plays real hard.
They will be better as the yr goes on and as the tv Frey man said I dont think anyone would want to play them as a 6 7 or 8 seed!

Good luck to the Cats on out.
Beat the mean green and golden boys!

Are you agreeing or disagreeing Money ? It's accurate , I always praise the guy for his building of great program they guy gets more than enough praise for all the winning , BUT when he does lose this crap happens LIKE CLOCKWORK IT'S AS SURE AS THE TIDES DEATH AND TAXES , IT'S TIRED IT'S CLASSLESS AND WRONG , period .
Where was the quote I missed it.
How can you lean on a Sr class that low in #s?
Like you didnt see this coming?
Darby had 10 Srs last yr and one was a kicker. Our stud starting sr lb gets hurt and things just sprilaed down hill in that UA game.
As good as this yrs Darby sr class is(2 returning captains), its still hard to over come the lack of Sr #s.

Thsi week's news summary of the game , I have seen it coming and have opined about the overrated Junior class not to mentionthe Seniors low numbers .

It's there he didnt', say low numbers, or lack of sklil he said WE CAN'T PREPARE CORRECTLY BECASUE OF POOR LEADERSHIP FROM THE SENIOR CLASS , I know you like Davidson more than Coffman I get that you wil question me adn stick up for them for some reason but it's in the paper clear as day if you can't pull it on line for some reason it wil be ini the papaer deleiverd to your house this week , game two and he's already blaming the Senior class adn thier lack of leadership just as he did ini 2007 AT LEAST THEN HE WAITED UNTIL THE END OF THE YEAR, BUT HE KNOWS MUCH EALRIER THAT THIS TEAM ISN'T GOING ANYWHERE MOST LIKELY and he needs a scapegoat And of course it isn't him

He blames the players leadership for not preparing correctly during the week , well Brian your the coach , aren't you MOST RESPONSIBLE FOR PREPARING TO PLAY , AND IF YOUR KIDS AREN'T UP TO GETTING THEM UP TO PERFORMING TO THEIR BEST ?? I guess you are only responsible when the teram wins games for the preperation and it's the Seniors when you lose . Knew something was wrong when he used the school split excuse for a possible drop off in that Summer inrterview , planting the seed of doubt in his players minds giving himself an out and then of course when he realizes that they might not make the play-offs throws the Senior leadership thing out there IN THE PAPER . Not many coaches do this type of thing very rare display of poor leadership when things go wrong for a caoch and he's done it a few times now . I'm usr ethe Davidson fans are great with it as well he's thier god ,. good for him , now all he's got to do is teach his kids to throw the football the days of runing up each other's butt 47 times a game may be nearing an end when you don't have great o-lines anymore , we'll see cojld actually be a good thing overall in terms of teaching lineman how to pass block and a kid who has some talented throwing or catching the football won't have to leave the district

Thsi week's news summary of the game , I have seen it coming and have opined about the overrated Junior class not to mentionthe Seniors low numbers .

It's there he didnt', say low numbers, or lack of sklil he said WE CAN'T PREPARE CORRECTLY BECASUE OF POOR LEADERSHIP FROM THE SENIOR CLASS , I know you like Davidson more than Coffman I get that you wil question me adn stick up for them for some reason but it's in the paper clear as day if you can't pull it on line for some reason it wil be ini the papaer deleiverd to your house this week , game two and he's already blaming the Senior class adn thier lack of leadership just as he did ini 2007 AT LEAST THEN HE WAITED UNTIL THE END OF THE YEAR, BUT HE KNOWS MUCH EALRIER THAT THIS TEAM ISN'T GOING ANYWHERE MOST LIKELY and he needs a scapegoat And of course it isn't him

He blames the players leadership for not preparing correctly during the week , well Brian your the coach , aren't you MOST RESPONSIBLE FOR PREPARING TO PLAY , AND IF YOUR KIDS AREN'T UP TO GETTING THEM UP TO PERFORMING TO THEIR BEST ?? I guess you are only responsible when the teram wins games for the preperation and it's the Seniors when you lose . Knew something was wrong when he used the school split excuse for a possible drop off in that Summer inrterview , planting the seed of doubt in his players minds giving himself an out and then of course when he realizes that they might not make the play-offs throws the Senior leadership thing out there IN THE PAPER . Not many coaches do this type of thing very rare display of poor leadership when things go wrong for a caoch and he's done it a few times now . I'm usr ethe Davidson fans are great with it as well he's thier god ,. good for him , now all he's got to do is teach his kids to throw the football the days of runing up each other's butt 47 times a game may be nearing an end when you don't have great o-lines anymore , we'll see cojld actually be a good thing overall in terms of teaching lineman how to pass block and a kid who has some talented throwing or catching the football won't have to leave the district
Didnt doubt or disbelieve it, just asking where.
I like Davidson better than dublin just cause its a Hilliard/Dublin thing thats all(plus we never did beat you guys lol). I know alot of the kids and parents over there. I know alot from Bradley too so that will be a fun one in week 10. More close friends from Bradley since we were in the same biddy panther programs together before they split off.
The split thing is funny to me that BW would mention it now 4 yrs later.
I guess its tough to draw up the boundaries thinking ahead 4-6 yrs out.
No way their program would get gutted like what happen to Darby.
The old guard in the town wouldnt let it happen. Weird how Weston Trails neighborhood ended up at Davidson even though our athletic complex is is in that neighborhood right next to Darby, yet Davidson has a few hundred more kids in the exact same buildings????
If we didnt split I think Darby was poised for greatness in alot of sports.
But it is what is is. Of course the #s loss was staggering and I did talk about it. Just the facts(the wrestling program lost 27 out of 30 freshman in that class of 12 that yr to Bradley fyi).
We are moving forward at Darby. I credit the coaches and AD Schulte for never using the split as an excuse.
I like where our program is heading(wrestling and baseball too) and being the smallest of the Hilliard schools i think we make noise in the future of the new 7 division format at D2 in the coming yrs.
I guess Im commenting on the split stuff since it was mentioned a while back and I never really responded to it.

Cthelites... This year, Darby has temporarily pulled even in terms of enrollments numbers with Bradley. I don't think that will continue to be the case, though as Bradley has just experienced a one year pause in enrollment growth.

During the redistricting phase, the district leadership had the opportunity to 'mix things up', but (IMHO) took the easy way out, because they didn't want to upset the 'old guard'. So, that meant Darby was going to bear the brunt of the split. As you said -- it is what it is.

The Darby athletic department took a big hit, but in almost every other way (IMHO), I believe the split has definitely been a net positive. No excuses were made and quite frankly no excuses should have been made -- Darby had the 'raw materials' (solid, involved families, etc.) to make good things happen. The next step was capitalizing on that and getting the kids to come out and get our numbers back up. That has happened. Our overall participation numbers are healthy and on the rise - both in athletics and in the band. And I agree on the coaching staffs and especially AD Schulte. We're fortunate to have them.

I got into Columbus extremely late, because I had to work a full day on Friday in DC. So, I actually got into H-town shortly before the 12:30 AM replay. Therefore, I only got to watch parts of the replay as I fell in and out of sleep. LOL!

Anyway, the bottom line is that you have to give Darby's defensive front seven kudos for controlling the LOS against the Davidson offense. If the offense can't generate first downs consistently, the defense is going to be left out there too long. Under the circumstances, the defense held up pretty well to only give up a couple of touchdowns, IMO.

I do agree with the point that it really wasn't necessary to go for it in the third quarter. Getting it down to 14-6 in the third puts you within a TD and two point conversion, and there is still a ton of time left on the clock. You never know what kinds of different decisions an opponent will make if they're only up one score versus two.

Looking a Darby's schedule, one can really only see Westerville South and Westerville Central as their big stumbling blocks. Now, South has this this historical habit of being able to beat the Patriots one week, and then losing to an average high school team the next. Assuming Darby gets past South, you'd have to guess they'll end up the #1 seed.

Go Cats!

Just a hint DSA, look back to the early nineties, you will likely find quite a few teams that Hilliard lost to 4 or more times in a row. Grove City comes to mind.
Don't worry about him. He's just a bitter old man living through his kid. He must have been the dad the other dads only tolerated because they felt sorry for his son, who I'm sure is a great kid. I hope for his sake that he fell far from that tree.

I got into Columbus extremely late, because I had to work a full day on Friday in DC. So, I actually got into H-town shortly before the 12:30 AM replay. Therefore, I only got to watch parts of the replay as I fell in and out of sleep. LOL!

Anyway, the bottom line is that you have to give Darby's defensive front seven kudos for controlling the LOS against the Davidson offense. If the offense can't generate first downs consistently, the defense is going to be left out there too long. Under the circumstances, the defense held up pretty well to only give up a couple of touchdowns, IMO.

I do agree with the point that it really wasn't necessary to go for it in the third quarter. Getting it down to 14-6 in the third puts you within a TD and two point conversion, and there is still a ton of time left on the clock. You never know what kinds of different decisions an opponent will make if they're only up one score versus two.

Looking a Darby's schedule, one can really only see Westerville South and Westerville Central as their big stumbling blocks. Now, South has this this historical habit of being able to beat the Patriots one week, and then losing to an average high school team the next. Assuming Darby gets past South, you'd have to guess they'll end up the #1 seed.

Go Cats!

I knew the o-line wouldn't be able to push them back, however I didn't expect them to miss several blocking assignments that allowed Darby to get a clean hit on the backs before they could take two steps. As I've pointed out before, Motley and Waters need to get some sweeps earlier to open things up inside. When they did that late in the game with Motley it seem to keep the Darby defense at bay. I hope they learn from this and move on!

BTW....congrats to Darby!:mad:

I've been biting my tongue after reading some of the things that have been said after Darby's win... but I'll let that go.

Anyway, I agree with you Buck. Motley definitely needs to see the ball more on offense or at least be on the field. He's a threat that can add more to that offense especially when they are struggling to move the ball. I just don't understand the philosophy there. I'm a firm believer in getting your playmakers on the field.

Don't worry about him. He's just a bitter old man living through his kid. He must have been the dad the other dads only tolerated because they felt sorry for his son, who I'm sure is a great kid. I hope for his sake that he fell far from that tree.

Whether I'm "old" probably depends on how old you are. There was a time I thought 30 sounded old. But "bitter"? How do you find "bitterness" in consistently accurate realistic assessments of Davidson football teams? Right in 2010 ("10-0, 9-1 at worst"); right in 2011 (can't find a prediction from me of a record, though I did say stivic was "dead on" when he predicted "one more year of excellence, then a drop off [in 2012] and I said they had an "outside chance" of a regional title. Interestingly, you said a wager on 9-0 in 2011 would be "crazy"); correctly identified the areas of concern in 2012 and didn't whistle past the graveyard when those (relative) weaknesses were on display week 1 against a very mediocre GC team. Sure, maybe I Lou Holtzed an individual game here or there in past years for the benefit of the opponent's posters, but I prefer to lower expectations. Being realistic doesn't make me bitter. If anything I've been overly optimistic from time to time. I was certain the Cats would beat HHW in 2010. I've defended HD against "outsiders" consistently. The only people I appear to have a problem with are the rose colored glasses wearers that sit on the same side of the stadium as I do. This post in particular is either clueless, arrogant, or so poorly written that you couldn't possibly have meant what it appears to say:

Unfortunately, I do believe there will be a week this season where "the message" goes in one ear & out the other, and they will make a crucial mistake to lose a game that they shouldn't have. Will it be this week, Coffman week, or UA week? I have no idea.

At face value, you are saying Darby, Coffman and UA are all games they "shouldn't lose", but if they make a "crucial mistake" they may lose "a" game? That sounds like "should be 10-0, 9-1 but only if they screw up". Couldn't possibly face a superior opponent - I really can't believe stiv let this one slide. The arrogance or myopia or whatever it is is truly amazing. 10 new starters on defense and a young and untested offensive line and you've got them going 10-0, 9-1 if they "make a crucial mistake"? Maybe it's not what you meant - really it can't be - but it is what you said, right there in black and white.

For the record, I still give them an excellent shot at 8-2. A step down from last year (as predicted), which was a step down from the year before (as predicted), which was a step down from the year before (as predicted). I hardly think that makes me bitter. 8-2 is just realistic, if not even perhaps overly optimistic.

If you want to pick a fight with an HD fan, take up with OlWildcat - he's the one willing to junk the offense that has been successful for years after one regular season loss.