SL Predictions

grizzhoops

A few months away from another Basketball Season! Looks like the SL should be down again this year but it should be interesting after Wadsworth. Don't know much about Nordonia but it will certainly be an upgrade from Barberton. My predictions:

1. Wadsworth (14-0), 2. Cloverleaf, 3. Nordonia, 4. Green, 5. Tallmadge, 6. Highland, 7. Revere and 8. Copley

2 new coaches at Green and Highland (both are huge improvements) but I think it will take more than a year to get them going. 2nd through 6th could make the league interesting.

Looks like the O'Brien kid from Mansfield will be playing for Wadsworth this year - she is enrolled at Wadsworth HS.

That's news to me FHSInsider. I thought she was playing soccer for Mansfield St. Pete? Can she move during the fall season and play in the winter season? I know she played all summer with Wadsworth and is pretty good. Even if it is legit, doesn't look good for my program...

They just got a house up in Wadsworth is my understanding and not sure how the participation in one sport affects the other, but I'm sure she won't see the floor for Wadsworth without all paperwork done, approved, etc.

That's news to me FHSInsider. I thought she was playing soccer for Mansfield St. Pete? Can she move during the fall season and play in the winter season? I know she played all summer with Wadsworth and is pretty good. Even if it is legit, doesn't look good for my program...
And why is that?? Unless you mean "my program" to be your individual or family program. If it is all by the rules and legit, what is the problem? Do you think the AD would take a chance or risk the Wadsworth program for another guard of which there many already on the team. I'm certainly not up on all of the rules especially going from private to public and the distance involved. In the Wadsworth program, she will not be scoring 20+points a game and get the same amount of playing time she has gotten at St. Peters.

"My program" means the program that I support and the city in which I live. Could be legit and I am sure Wadsworth will make sure that it is, just odd that she played soccer for one school in the fall and basketball for another in the winter.

"My program" means the program that I support and the city in which I live. Could be legit and I am sure Wadsworth will make sure that it is, just odd that she played soccer for one school in the fall and basketball for another in the winter.
From my understanding, the real estate/house transaction could not be completed in time for the start of school. It finally got worked out. There was every intention of her being in Wadsworth the beginning of the school year. I'm curious as to how this move-in would affect your support for the team and the support of a player that lives is "your" city? Do you have a player in the soccer and/or basketball programs at Wadsworth??:shrug:

I don't have any players in either program and the transfer will not affect my support for the individual or the program. 20/20, seems like you know an awful lot about the situation...

I don't have any players in either program and the transfer will not affect my support for the individual or the program. 20/20, seems like you know an awful lot about the situation...
That info has been around for some time, odd but out there..:rolleyes: Care to enlighten us with the "truth"? I am not that well connected but try to follow the SL.

20/20 has the same understand as I have heard of the situation. It's not top secret clearance material or anything lol

As long as she transfers into Wadsworth with a bona fide change of address and doesn't participiate in any practices or scrimmages with her old team it is legit. There is nothing wrong with this - the parents moved. It will be good for the Grizzlies and for her. At least she is not faking residency to get in. These know how to win, want to win, and know she will help their team - she will be welcomed with open arms.

I would be very surprised to see her eligible this year. Everything I've heard is that OHSAA has already advised Wadsworth administration she will have to sit out the year. I guess everyone will find out soon enough.

I would be very surprised to see her eligible this year. Everything I've heard is that OHSAA has already advised Wadsworth administration she will have to sit out the year. I guess everyone will find out soon enough.

A kid is not in a position to stop the adults in her life from moving. If the family moves before the season starts the ohsaa would be on rather poor footing with the courts if they tried to deny her right to play a sport. The ohsaa has backed down when confronted by a judges ruling a number of times before and unless there is real evidence of more going on than a family moving they could look foolish here.

A kid is not in a position to stop the adults in her life from moving. If the family moves before the season starts the ohsaa would be on rather poor footing with the courts if they tried to deny her right to play a sport. The ohsaa has backed down when confronted by a judges ruling a number of times before and unless there is real evidence of more going on than a family moving they could look foolish here.
The problem in this case is that the family didn't move until after the school year started. She even played soccer for her former team this fall. :shrug:

Families moving don't have control when a house sale closes. She moved with her family before the season started. I bet there are many judges who would side with the family against the ohsaa. They have been backed down by court rulings before and will in the future. I personally know of a number of instances where kids changed legal residence after the school year started and ended up playing for the new school.

Word from Copley is that they only have 13 girls out for basketball this year. JV games will probably get cancelled.

Highland should win around 10 games this year...They have probably one of the easiest non-conference slates in the Suburban League, and have everyone returning...

So say they win 5 out of 6 non-conference games, sweep Copley, and split Tallmadge, Revere, and Cloverleaf, that's 10 games there. Could have up to 15 wins in my opinion. Just the way the Suburban League is this year, it's possible. Then, this year's 8th grade team for Highland SHOULD only get better and continue to get this program turned around; HOWEVER, if Murphy(or someone else on his staff) can not or does not find the time to teach the fundamentals to the youth of the school district, Highland will be back in the bottom half of the Suburban League in 5 years...

20 Girls varsity and jv. No 9th grade team.

That is good to see! I don't see 10-15 wins as Warrior does but do think they will be better. Difficult to go from 2 wins to 15 wins unless they have 2 or 3 new starters that did not play last year. Just doesn't happen. 7 or 8 would be a huge improvement.

Guaranteed wins:

Copley(at least once)
Akron North
Alliance
Buckeye
Berea

Should wins:

Revere(once)
Bay
Cloverleaf(once)
Copley(at Copley)

borderline games that could be wins:

Medina
Tallmadge (split or sweep)
Cloverleaf (at Cloverleaf game)
Nordonia (maybe once)
Revere(at Revere game)
Green(at best once)

Most likely losses:
Green(at Green)
Nordonia(at Nordonia)

Guaranteed losses:

Wadsworth (twice)

This is my opinion on the breakdown of Highland's schedule...problem last year was that it was basically a JV team playing against Varsity DI opponents...there are some more girls, so they won't lose the Copley or the Revere or the Tallmadge type games because the players last year just seemed to get worn down by injuries or lack of depth and the season just took a huge toll as it got later on in the season from what I heard...

Disagree on a few

Medina is definitely a "most likely loss"--Highland is nowhere near them. I also disagree with Cloverleaf. They're not great but they are solid and better than Highland. Maybe Highland gets a split, but I doubt it. Otherwise, the rest looks realistic to me, but I also don't know a ton about several of the teams in the borderline/should win categories.

Guaranteed wins:

Copley(at least once)
Akron North
Alliance
Buckeye
Berea

Should wins:

Revere(once)
Bay
Cloverleaf(once)
Copley(at Copley)

borderline games that could be wins:

Medina
Tallmadge (split or sweep)
Cloverleaf (at Cloverleaf game)
Nordonia (maybe once)
Revere(at Revere game)
Green(at best once)

Most likely losses:
Green(at Green)
Nordonia(at Nordonia)

Guaranteed losses:

Wadsworth (twice)

This is my opinion on the breakdown of Highland's schedule...problem last year was that it was basically a JV team playing against Varsity DI opponents...there are some more girls, so they won't lose the Copley or the Revere or the Tallmadge type games because the players last year just seemed to get worn down by injuries or lack of depth and the season just took a huge toll as it got later on in the season from what I heard...

Agree with the "guaranteed wins" but Highland lost many games by 20 or 30 plus points that you have in the win category. It was one of the worst coached teams I have ever seen. Were Steffas and Peteck hurt last year? When you lose 18 games it is more than youth. Tough to change that in a year. Would love to see another competitor in the Medina county but it may take more than a year. I guess you could look at Medina's success with a new coach and think it could happen at Highland. Maybe... I love Highland-fan optimism every year. Kind of like Browns-fan!

Coach Seth did a good job! A lot of talent left that team that should have been seniors. Those kids played hard! Need more than a few to play in a tough league. She did set up the new coach for a good record by taking off tougher teams like Brunswick and Normandy and putting on some of the worst team in Ohio.