Your favorite piece of writing from the internet

oxat622

What is your favorite bit of writing found online (article, blog post, Reddit discussion, etc)? Something you almost consider foundational that you return to every so often.

Here's mine.

I found this article around the time my oldest was in the latter part of his junior year in high school and it hit home on so many levels. My son was just beginning his college search and I was having many of the same feelings this writer (the writer has gone on to great acclaim since writing this) was, the similarities to my circumstances were stunning (not the future great acclaim). I have gone back to this article each time my next kid started their college search for solace and to remind me to be open minded.

I pay for a yearly subscription to The Athletic (currently $72 per year after discounted step-up rates my first two years). One of my favorite writers there is Richard Deitsch, who covers sports media and who previously wrote for Sports Illustrated for 20 years. He generally writes a weekly column about some aspect of sports media/journalism, both print and broadcast, with his topics almost always interesting and illuminating, giving one a behind-the-curtains look at how sporting events are produced, presented, and covered.

Richard is a prolific reader himself, and his best feature is including at the end of his weekly column links to about 10-15 sports-related stories he has found fascinating; and he'll add another 10-15 links to non-sports stories that he himself has read and enjoyed. They are from a wide variety of sources--newspapers, monthly magazines, internet-only publications--and run the gamut from short features to long-form in depth looks at a certain situation, some humorous but many serious...however almost without fail they are well-written, well-researched stories that I typically would not have found on my own.

Highly recommended if you can stomach the subscription fee (which gives you access to tons of other sports-related content).

I read this the other day and thought it was one of the best articles I've read in a while. It's something we all kinda know and I've often pondered. Of course everyone is different but a good reflection on what actually makes us happy and how much we need.
Reminds me of the story of elderly Henry Ford talking to a poor young Black boy who was in awe of his fortune said something like "I would gladly trade places with you if only for your youth"
I have said jokingly to my wife, If it were not for the women in my life, I would be quite content in a van down by the river with a nice campfire.
When a hundred dollar bill is laying on the sidewalk in front of you and it's just not worth picking up... do you think that would be awesome?

Anything by the late FairwoodKing or TigerLB (and his successors).
l was just thinking about goofy old FawK after I read g-rock's chicken-plucking Biden economy thread. Remember his "son", Oscar the rabbit ? I recalled me provoking him about how to field dress a rabbit for dinner. And Tweety Bird lol

What a hoot that old queer was

I read this the other day and thought it was one of the best articles I've read in a while. It's something we all kinda know and I've often pondered. Of course everyone is different but a good reflection on what actually makes us happy and how much we need.
Reminds me of the story of elderly Henry Ford talking to a poor young Black boy who was in awe of his fortune said something like "I would gladly trade places with you if only for your youth"
I have said jokingly to my wife, If it were not for the women in my life, I would be quite content in a van down by the river with a nice campfire.
When a hundred dollar bill is laying on the sidewalk in front of you and it's just not worth picking up... do you think that would be awesome?

Good article. I agree with that line of thinking. Not exactly the same, but similar: being President would be horrible

That's how I see life, too.

On a side note, John Cena is a little c u next Tuesday. No respect for that guy, now.