Youngstown Cardinal Mooney in 2022

Honestly don't know about any of these. I didn't see Mahoning Catholic in that list. The only thing I know is this kid is a darn good athlete, and he was originally a Warren kid, that played for Mahoning Catholic in 8th grade this past year

I seriously doubt that he'll go to Mooney.

I seriously doubt that he'll go to Mooney.
Yes, I agree. A few years ago possibly, but not with the situation of Mooney now. Would really like to see him at Harding, but I have my doubts. I know you might have some insight on his situation, but I understand if you don't say anything on the public forum here. I'm thinking a couple schools where he could end up. But we will see.

Yes, I agree. A few years ago possibly, but not with the situation of Mooney now. Would really like to see him at Harding, but I have my doubts. I know you might have some insight on his situation, but I understand if you don't say anything on the public forum here. I'm thinking a couple schools where he could end up. But we will see.

Definitely on all counts. Check your messages.

Is their head coach still the guy that beat the crap out of his wife with his 2 young children in the house?
Yes and also their AD.

Don't forget the unhinged rant he had after the Hubbard/Mooney game at Hubbard Memorial Stadium last season where the Hubbard police had to go to the locker room door.

Does CMHS have a death wish?
I really don't care if Mooney has a "death wish" or not, just as long as they "stay out of Hubbard" after last year's debacle in their visitors locker room at Hubbard Memorial Stadium where the Hubbard police were called after the game.

Most of the Hubbard faithful feel the same way, it's just not worth scheduling Mooney after what happened last year. Plus, Mooney barely filled half of the visitor's side stands for that game which has a seating capacity of 2000. I doubt if any other NE8 team would want that kind of hassle either.

I really don't care if Mooney has a "death wish" or not, just as long as they "stay out of Hubbard" after last year's debacle in their visitors locker room at Hubbard Memorial Stadium where the Hubbard police were called after the game.

Most of the Hubbard faithful feel the same way, it's just not worth scheduling Mooney after what happened last year. Plus, Mooney barely filled half of the visitor's side stands for that game which has a seating capacity of 2000. I doubt if any other NE8 team would want that kind of hassle either.
Wow! Founding Mooney principal Monsignor (later Bishop) William A. Hughes is turning in his episcopal grave! So sad (but understandable) to hear. Who would want their sons to play for the current Mooney program?

I can’t believe the coach is still there. I would have thought they would have moved on to another coach. So many years spent watching quality football, and now in this position. I’m so disappointed, as so many others.

Just shows there is more to scheduling Mooney then just “you won’t play cause you’ll lose” and recruiting. The school turned into a dump internally and externally

Just shows there is more to scheduling Mooney then just “you won’t play cause you’ll lose” and recruiting. The school turned into a dump internally and externally
Hubbard got an excellent young AD that scheduled that Mooney game for last year, I'm taking a good guess that he won't ever do that again. I'm thinking no other NE8 team would want that kind of hassle either, it's just not worth it. They weren't even a good gate game filling less than half of the visiting stands at Hubbard Memorial Stadium.

If Ursuline tops the Cards this upcoming season it will be the first time in the series dating back to 1958 that the Irish have won four-in-a-row over Mooney.

It would take a Hail Mary to save the school. The location is in a war zone. They have a coach who has character issues, the last school leadership was trash., and they are really bad at football. they play their games at Mineral ridge instead of YSU. Their enrollment numbers are dropping like a rock. Future sounds bright. They should have moved when they had the chance. Now its not if they will eventually shut down, but when they will have to either fold up shop or join Ursuline. I really dont see anything that can stop this race to extinction.

It would take a Hail Mary to save the school. The location is in a war zone. They have a coach who has character issues, the last school leadership was trash., and they are really bad at football. they play their games at Mineral ridge instead of YSU. Their enrollment numbers are dropping like a rock. Future sounds bright. They should have moved when they had the chance. Now its not if they will eventually shut down, but when they will have to either fold up shop or join Ursuline. I really dont see anything that can stop this race to extinction.
I hope and pray that Mooney will thrive again someday.

Thoughts and prayers to you but it does not look good right now. Parents dont want their kids sitting in Ukraine war torn south side at night on a Tuesday after practice waiting for rides to come while bullets whizz by.

Thoughts and prayers to you but it does not look good right now. Parents dont want their kids sitting in Ukraine war torn south side at night on a Tuesday after practice waiting for rides to come while bullets whizz by.
CM is currently under 300, Ursuline around 465. The new bishop has already closed or consolidated seven parishes. He's not shy about doing it and it is happening in all 144 Catholic Dioceses in the US. Bishop Bonner has been willing to take the hit from distraught parishoners. If the Erie Street site continues to bleed (it will) then look for a Cardinal Mooney-Ursuline High or Ursuline-Cardinal Mooney High at 700 Wick Avenue. I suspect they'll keep the historic names for the sake of alumni and historic considerations. YSU is in Ursuline's backyard and the school can be reached easily via the expressway two blocks away. School colors: cardinal red & Kelly green (or maybe not)? Youngstown's population cannot sustain two Catholic high schools. The numbers aren't there no matter the neighborhood (although that is killing Mooney).

CM is currently under 300, Ursuline around 465. The new bishop has already closed or consolidated seven parishes. He's not shy about doing it and it is happening in all 144 Catholic Dioceses in the US. Bishop Bonner has been willing to take the hit from distraught parishoners. If the Erie Street site continues to bleed (it will) then look for a Cardinal Mooney-Ursuline High or Ursuline-Cardinal Mooney High at 700 Wick Avenue. I suspect they'll keep the historic names for the sake of alumni and historic considerations. YSU is in Ursuline's backyard and the school can be reached easily via the expressway two blocks away. School colors: cardinal red & Kelly green (or maybe not)? Youngstown's population cannot sustain two Catholic high schools. The numbers aren't there no matter the neighborhood (although that is killing Mooney).
If CM folds, then it is not a true consolidation (which is when both schools close to become one). I see no reason why Ursuline would need to change its name, colors, or mascot. Ursuline existed long before Cardinal Mooney and so should retain its unique identity.

If CM folds, then it is not a true consolidation (which is when both schools close to become one). I see no reason why Ursuline would need to change its name, colors, or mascot. Ursuline existed long before Cardinal Mooney and so should retain its unique identity.
So did WGH, kept the name but took the Raider mascot from WWR. Just never know what decisions will be made

I'm with you. I'm Ursuline all the way, too. But it would be a consolation so technically both schools will close and form a new one. They are both Diocesan schools with the same mission. Yes, Cardinal Mooney happened in 1955 because Ursuline was bursting at the seams. It'll be like the closing of the two historic eastside parishes Sacred Heart & The Immaculate. The Immaculate site closed and the Sacred Heart site was chosen, naming it Immaculate Conception-Sacred Heart Parish. Later parishoners petitioned the bishop to change the name of the combined parish to "St. Angela Merici" as Ursuline nuns served at both schools and they had that in common. Edward Mooney, cardinal archbishop of Detroit, was a Youngstown native and the Ursulines arrived in the valley in 1874. My heart says it stays "Ursuline" but my head says these things don't work out that way.

So did WGH, kept the name but took the Raider mascot from WWR. Just never know what decisions will be made
I'm not sure. There may have been a vote or the school board decided. If Mooney & Ursuline combine it won't be by vote or by school board but ultimately by the bishop of Youngstown. That's the way it works with Diocesan institutions. The key will be in watching enrollment numbers on Erie Street the next couple of years and if they continue to drop.

I'm not sure. There may have been a vote or the school board decided. If Mooney & Ursuline combine it won't be by vote or by school board but ultimately by the bishop of Youngstown. That's the way it works with Diocesan institutions. The key will be in watching enrollment numbers on Erie Street the next couple of years and if they continue to drop.
I understand your logic, but it still feels weird that Ursuline would have "to close" simply because Mooney folds. East did not become the North-East Bulldogs when North closed. Wilson did not become the South-Wilson Warriors when South closed.

I understand your logic, but it still feels weird that Ursuline would have "to close" simply because Mooney folds. East did not become the North-East Bulldogs when North closed. Wilson did not become the South-Wilson Warriors when South closed.
[This is one of the more informed and measured threads I've every come across on Valley football and politics (long time lurker, irregular poster - left the Valley for college and never really came back). So thanks to everyone contributing - I still support my alma mater - UHS - because it made such a difference in my life and I hope they can continue to impact kids for decades to come).

It's probably going to come down to the politics of who has the enrollment and the endowment. Neither school really has a true big wallet to call on (I was at fund raiser about 10 years ago, and quite accidentally found myself in conversation with CMHS's largest potential supporter, and they scoffed at the the idea that a new building at a better site was possible, and intimated they weren't interested in writing the check that would require). I think it's fair to say that for most of the past three decades, all the consolidation conversations (and they have been happening that long) tilted towards Mooney. Now it's the reverse, it would be churlish for any UHS community member to gloat or lord it over Mooney folk.

I would expect that it if it happens, it gets announces as a neutral decision, with the expectation of assessments, meetings and such, and, after a decent interval, keeping UHS as the identity and folding Mooney in. It's going to be an expensive investment, and ultimately the brand of a good Catholic education will remain regardless of the name, but there is equity in the reputation of both schools, so throwing both out for a new, unfamiliar identity isn't a good move. Considering how much of the history of Catholic education in the Valley is basically erased, eliminating the last vestiges of that tradition is nonsensical.

Which really never pleased grads from either school. Always thought they could have brought the name Presidents back rather than appease both sides, but that's well in the past.
At the end of the day nothing is done to please past students but only to further the education of current students/ future students . Well that should be the only thought process.

[This is one of the more informed and measured threads I've every come across on Valley football and politics (long time lurker, irregular poster - left the Valley for college and never really came back). So thanks to everyone contributing - I still support my alma mater - UHS - because it made such a difference in my life and I hope they can continue to impact kids for decades to come).

It's probably going to come down to the politics of who has the enrollment and the endowment. Neither school really has a true big wallet to call on (I was at fund raiser about 10 years ago, and quite accidentally found myself in conversation with CMHS's largest potential supporter, and they scoffed at the the idea that a new building at a better site was possible, and intimated they weren't interested in writing the check that would require). I think it's fair to say that for most of the past three decades, all the consolidation conversations (and they have been happening that long) tilted towards Mooney. Now it's the reverse, it would be churlish for any UHS community member to gloat or lord it over Mooney folk.

I would expect that it if it happens, it gets announces as a neutral decision, with the expectation of assessments, meetings and such, and, after a decent interval, keeping UHS as the identity and folding Mooney in. It's going to be an expensive investment, and ultimately the brand of a good Catholic education will remain regardless of the name, but there is equity in the reputation of both schools, so throwing both out for a new, unfamiliar identity isn't a good move. Considering how much of the history of Catholic education in the Valley is basically erased, eliminating the last vestiges of that tradition is nonsensical.
You are right in that Mooney had the larger enrollment for a long time. The Ursuline site was considered more saleable thinking that YSU might be interested. That was before things developed as they have on the southside. Ursuline has had better leadership and commitment to excellence the past 15 years or so ---especially in keeping the building updated. That was unfortunate for Mooney which had supplied the Valley with excellence and whose grads made a tremendous difference to the Youngstown area over 65 years. The archrivalry of the schools made them both stronger and better institutions. But that archrivalry must not impact what is best for kids right now. U & CM share the same mission and the kids will come first. And what is best for the Church of Youngstown? An absolute top priority of the US Conference of Catholic Bishops is how to be a Church with a mission and not a Church that pours its resources in sustaining buildings that are no longer needed. This will be very hard and very emotional. It always is. Plus the Wick Avenue site could absorb the Mooney students tomorrow.