Yianni goes down to defeat!

bdhof

OK, all of our Buckeye fans have been grumbling (or at least I have 🤣) about Sammy Sasso taking a loss last week and Ethan Smith taking one this week. Well, WIS fans might have been similarly concerned when 149 Gomez lost to some guy no one has never heard of (9-4 to Johnson ISU). Well, Gomez redeemed himself by beating 3X NCAA champ Yianni 9-3. I guess stuff happens. The season is early and no one is in top form - not even Yianni. Per Flo "It's the first time in Division I history that a three-time NCAA champ has been knocked off." And it marks only the 2nd loss in Yianni's NCAA career (94-2).

Last edited:

OK, all of our Buckeye fans have been grumbling (or at least I have 🤣) about Sammy Sasso taking a loss last week and Ethan Smith taking one this week. Well, WIS fans might have been similarly concerned when 149 Gomez lost to some guy no one has never heard of (9-4 to Johnson ISU). Well, Gomez redeemed himself by beating 3X NCAA champ Yianni 9-3. I guess stuff happens. The season is early and no one is in top form - not even Yianni. Per Flo "It's the first time in Division I history that a three-time NCAA champ has been knocked off." And it marks only the 2nd loss in Yianni's career.
Actually, I never heard of the guy* but he is ranked #11 so some people have heard of him. 🤣 But he was unranked prior to his win over Gomez.

*Went 19-6 as a RS last year and is 3-0 this year.

Last edited:
I think Gomez was at ISU so Dresser( seriously underated coach and surprise team of this year) had a game plan and I doubt Johnson is a nobody to have skills enough to beat Gomez. Guy was 4 x PA placer and had good year last year. Coaching guys up goes a long way and Dresser and Brian Smith are best in college business at doing this.
Comparing results of another to justify poor performances of your own never works. Doing this might make you feel better but in the end as MPhillips states it's a pattern from last year both Sasso and Kharchla seem to have resumed where they left off in March 2022.
In the end both Sasso and Karchla will have up and down results due to struggles to make weight. They will now have to keep weight well below natural set point to make cut easier. Eventually it will deplete muscle, motivation and endurance over next 4 months. I don't see improved NCAA performances for either one. I definitely want them to do great but law of averages says the scale and gravity win more than they lose.

OK, all of our Buckeye fans have been grumbling (or at least I have 🤣) about Sammy Sasso taking a loss last week and Ethan Smith taking one this week. Well, WIS fans might have been similarly concerned when 149 Gomez lost to some guy no one has never heard of (9-4 to Johnson ISU). Well, Gomez redeemed himself by beating 3X NCAA champ Yianni 9-3. I guess stuff happens. The season is early and no one is in top form - not even Yianni. Per Flo "It's the first time in Division I history that a three-time NCAA champ has been knocked off." And it marks only the 2nd loss in Yianni's career (94-2).
Thinking back to recent in-season losses that were this surprising- Ed Ruth losing to Gabe Dean maybe, but that looks much better in hindsight as Dean became a 2x champ and went 3-1-1-2 at NCAAs. Piccinninni pinning Spencer Lee- Lee has taken some losses (Bresser, Tomasello, SeaBass), but getting pinned shocked me. Sure there are some others I am forgetting, and of course there are plenty at NCAAs (Moisey over GIlman for me was a shocker on this level).

The top four 149's have all lost.

#1 Yianni D just lost to #3 Austin Gomez 3-9
#2 Brock Mauller lost to #6 Kyle Parco 2-3
#3 Austin Gomez lost to #11 Paniro Johnson 4-9
#4 Sammy Sasso lost to #12 Caleb Henson 3-5

Sasso is headed to Austin for the NWCA All Star Classic on Nov 22. Sasso will wrestle Gomez so one of them will be heading back home with another loss.

Sasso is headed to Austin for the NWCA All Star Classic on Nov 22. Sasso will wrestle Gomez so one of them will be heading back home with another loss.
Yes he is.

I'll put in this thread, more fitting.

Didn't Gomez go down to a freshman last week??🤷‍♂️ Wow is right! I was reading in another group how Yanni should be the #1 P4P guy in NCAA, and the consensus seem to all point to Spencer Lee... Yanni backers seemed to have a pretty good argument looking at total body of work... well, until this. Wow.

Report •••

OK, all of our Buckeye fans have been grumbling (or at least I have 🤣) about Sammy Sasso taking a loss last week and Ethan Smith taking one this week. Well, WIS fans might have been similarly concerned when 149 Gomez lost to some guy no one has never heard of (9-4 to Johnson ISU). Well, Gomez redeemed himself by beating 3X NCAA champ Yianni 9-3. I guess stuff happens. The season is early and no one is in top form - not even Yianni. Per Flo "It's the first time in Division I history that a three-time NCAA champ has been knocked off." And it marks only the 2nd loss in Yianni's career (94-2).
College career?

Looking forward to the all-star match ups. This will be a tough one for Sasso. I have a feeling he has been looking forward to this and will have kept his weight in check so he doesn't have a big cut coming up to the bout. Being in front of a national audience on Flo will help with the motivation. If he loses badly - which is entirely possible - it may make this season tough for Sasso to get through.

I'm keeping Spencer at #1P4P (we'll see what happens), but I'm okay with Yianni as well. 💪
How long can Spencer sit on the sidelines and stay #1P4P or win the Hodge? Personally, I don't care about P4P or the Hodge as far as Spencer goes. But I really would like him to notch his 4th NCAA title. I hope his legs hold out. W/o his injuries he likely would have been a clinch 4X NCAA champ and a star on the SR level. Now, this is likely his swan song. Stay as healthy as you can be Spencer, and go out a champ.

Iirc, technically NWCA All-Star is an exhibition matchup and has no bearing on the overall record of either wrestler competing. I'm sure rankings will shift afterwards, but records will officially stay the same

Iirc, technically NWCA All-Star is an exhibition matchup and has no bearing on the overall record of either wrestler competing. I'm sure rankings will shift afterwards, but records will officially stay the same
Yeah, it's hard to "unsee" it. I remember (I think a PSU guy) griping a while back about an All-Star loss costing him the #1 seed in NCAAs. I thinbk he was the defending champ and that was his only loss. The other guy might have been a former (not defending) NCAA champ. And I have no idea who won at NCAAs but based on PSU history at NCAAs, probably their guy.

Yeah, it's hard to "unsee" it. I remember (I think a PSU guy) griping a while back about an All-Star loss costing him the #1 seed in NCAAs. I thinbk he was the defending champ and that was his only loss. The other guy might have been a former (not defending) NCAA champ. And I have no idea who won at NCAAs but based on PSU history at NCAAs, probably their guy.
After a little research...
Zahid Valencia lost to Mark Hall in the 2017 NCAAs (semis 4-3). Then Zahid beat Hall in the 2017 All Star meet that following November (3-2). Valencia got the #1 seed and beat Hall in NCAAs 8-2. Hall did have a loss on his record,* so I'm not sure where that came from as the All Star meet is exhibition.

*The loss was Hall's loss to Zahid in the NCAA finals. They were both undefeated going into NCAAs and Zahid's win at the AS meet got him the #1 seed at NCAAs. I think that prompted Cael to ban the AS meet (maybe I'm just making that up 🤣 ) and may have influenced it's cancelation for a while.

Last edited:
The top four 149's have all lost.

#1 Yianni D just lost to #3 Austin Gomez 3-9
#2 Brock Mauller lost to #6 Kyle Parco 2-3
#3 Austin Gomez lost to #11 Paniro Johnson 4-9
#4 Sammy Sasso lost to #12 Caleb Henson 3-5
After this weekend, Paniro Johnson is the only undefeated left in the top 15 at 149. I still think Yanni then Gomez, wide open beyond.

After this weekend, Paniro Johnson is the only undefeated left in the top 15 at 149. I still think Yanni then Gomez, wide open beyond.
I wouldn't disagree. I believe Sammy belongs in that tier. Hope you got to see the ISU / IOWA dual. It was fun. (y)

Last edited: