Yet another option for the public/private 'issue'

serpico

If you're sick of the topic, please click back now. It seems that 98% of the stuff on this topic is just typical back and forth blather, and maybe this is, too. However, the proposal intrigued me and so I'm sharing it here. This isn't mine (I originally found it here: http://rocketcorner.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20845&st=20) and I'm sure there are holes in it, but it seems to have some merit...

As it stands, there are currently 3 groups of schools relative to this topic:

1.) Public schools who want a separate tournament due to private schools having what they perceive to be an unfair advantage.

2.) Public schools who want to continue to compete in the same tournaments as their private counterparts.

3.) Private schools.

Thus far, the proposals have been met with skepticism, and ultimately failed, because they have focused on the wishes of primarily the first group. Until that changes, not much else will in regards to this topic.

With that in mind, in an effort to please everyone as much as possible, I submit the following idea:

We create two tournaments (similar to a college intramural system in that, in essence, one will be a "competitive" league with the other being a "recreation" league, though we can't call them that for obvious reasons).

The three groupings of schools will be placed in the respective tournaments in this manner (keep in mind, this proposal could be applied to each individual sport separately, rather than having a blanket system that applies to every sport):

1.) Private schools will automatically be placed in the competitive tournament. While there will surely be a small percentage of private schools unhappy with the forced hand, the majority would have no qualms with this. Furthermore, the continued effort to separate privates as a whole as it currently stands, despite numerous failed attempts, shows that the current proposals couldn't care less about the stance of private schools to begin with.

2.) Public schools will have a few options that they will be able to choose individually, as a community/district, rather than have their hands forced by the OHSAA. Their decision will last for a total of 4 years, and at the end of each 4-year period, each school can re-evaluate their current situation and decide if making a change is in the best interest of their individual school and, on a more micro-level, their individual programs (since this can be applied to all sports, its possible to choose different tournaments for different programs).

A.) Public schools who still want to compete against their private counterparts can choose the competitive tournament. This would appease, in our area for example, schools like Coldwater, Marion Local, St. Henry, Kenton, and many others, as they certainly aren't interested in not competing against the best and have had no problems out-performing private schools on a yearly basis.

B.) Public schools who feel that they can't compete with private schools due to unfair advantages will have the opportunity to choose the recreation tournament and compete against like-minded schools (I don't mean to sound like this is a "lesser" tournament, rather just providing a substantial percentage of public schools the opportunity that they're currently asking for). However, since this entire debate is happening because of perceived advantages that result in disproportional results, if a program wins 2 recreation titles within a 4-year span, they will be placed in the competitive tournament at the next date schools can reapply for either tournament. This should appease the schools that feel disadvantaged, like the NWC for example.

This proposal does several things.

1.) First, it gives each faction of schools what they want (other than the privates who would like to compete in the recreation tournament, which would total less than 1% of the total schools in Ohio).

2.) It gives the decision making ability individually to each school and their community, rather than have their hands forced by the OHSAA. With the power in their hands to choose where they want to compete, it should eliminate almost all gripes about unfair advantages their school faces.

3.) It allows schools to re-evaluate their situation on a regular basis, allowing individual schools the opportunity to make changes as they see fit.

4.) It allows schools to place their various programs in different tournaments based on the competitiveness of each individual program.

This thread better be deleted if my thread about where the state game should be held was deleted.

1. Your plan forces all private schools into the same division, yet gives publics a choice of divisions.

2. You make the incorrect assumption that all private schools are championship contenders across the board in athletics, when they are not.

Back to the drawing board.

First off, it's not my plan.

Secondly, I don't believe the word 'division' was ever used in the original plan. I think the author had in mind two tournaments - one 'competitive' and one 'recreational', into which divisions could still be used to separate larger schools from smaller schools.

First off, it's not my plan.

Secondly, I don't believe the word 'division' was ever used in the original plan. I think the author had in mind two tournaments - one 'competitive' and one 'recreational', into which divisions could still be used to separate larger schools from smaller schools.

I apologize. The author's plan has the two fatal flaws I mentioned, and though I used the term divisions, my meaning was that the tournaments described in the article suffered from the two major flaws I mentioned.

My plan.

Every school forms their own athletic associations and division and plays only with themselves.

***Warning*** This may result in "sin" if your school is old school.

"spank the monkey," man that tune is just stuck in my head.

I'm not sure why threads like this always involve snarkiness. I guess I would rather see an 'opt-in' system like what is described here over an OHSAA-enforced public/private split or some other means to 'level the playing field'. Pick your field right from the get-go and then everyone loses the right to complain about it not being level.

I'm not sure why threads like this always involve snarkiness. I guess I would rather see an 'opt-in' system like what is described here over an OHSAA-enforced public/private split or some other means to 'level the playing field'. Pick your field right from the get-go and then everyone loses the right to complain about it not being level.

My smart comment above aside, I actually like the idea. If a group of school districts (i.e. the cowards of Wayne County) don't want to compete under status quo, instead of trying to impose their wants on the masses, the should leave the OHSAA and form their own organization.

So do privates play each other in just the tournament or all season long? If they only play privates then they'd be playing only a 12-game season (like Don Bosco, Good Counsel, DeMatha) which includes the playoffs.

Can the privates play publics during the season? Then have the tournament between the only privates near each other's size being GCLS, St. I and St. E? Wow, 6 teams in the playoffs, best 2 records get 1st round bye...and most likely already played each other once during the season.

EPIC FAIL!

Although I'd love to see Toledo St. Jospeh playing Cleveland St. Ignatius and Youngstown Cardinal Mooney taking on St. Xavier with Columbus St. Francis DeSales playing Moeller and so on. Yeah, that wouldn't make anything lopsided. :rolleyes:

BB94's posts crack me up. I don't know if he quickly skims through other posts or if he actually reads, but doesn't quite comprehend everything being said. Just a little funny and ironic coming from an X guy, when typically everyone wants to tout how much better X education is than other schools.

follow the money...

All public schools who have a single athlete whose families paid more than a single dollar to attend a sports camp, hire a personal trainer etc etc etc should be automatically put in the private school division.

After all, we're talking about a family's choice to spend more so their son/daughter can benefit from a better high school program.

Although I'd love to see Toledo St. Jospeh playing Cleveland St. Ignatius and Youngstown Cardinal Mooney taking on St. Xavier with Columbus St. Francis DeSales playing Moeller and so on. Yeah, that wouldn't make anything lopsided.
Who is Toledo St. Jospeh?

Quit letting them cheat the public schools ! Ban sports.. And then let those who choose the religious way for their children... Play for their local public

Simple

When this topic comes up I never see anyone, maybe I never noticed, bring up the one major point that trumps everything. MONEY. If the OHSAA were to ever seperate private/public (which will never happen) the privates will leave the OHSAA no doubt. Which would probably mean OHSAA loses over half the money they would normally bring in. Yea the OHSAA will get right on that.....

The only way you would see a seperate private/public if the public schools leave the OHSAA..Which I dont see happening either.

Quit letting them cheat the public schools ! Ban sports.. And then let those who choose the religious way for their children... Play for their local public

Simple

I'm paying for your schools. I will probably be paying for your healthcare too as of Jan 1, 2013.

How about if we give you a big trophy and straight As. Would that male you feel better.

Remember, you can only vote for Obama once!

It is about money. All you have to do is see how empty Nippert is when the Privates are not playing at the skyline event every year. the exception is Colerain.

I'm paying for your schools. I will probably be paying for your healthcare too as of Jan 1, 2013.

How about if we give you a big trophy and straight As. Would that male you feel better.

Remember, you can only vote for Obama once!

It is about money. All you have to do is see how empty Nippert is when the Privates are not playing at the skyline event every year. the exception is Colerain.

Why do some people insist on shoving politics into every conversation? Good grief!