Yappi 2012 Fall Sports Shoutout

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
Yappi 2012 Fall Sports Shoutout

1. Introducing the Yappi 2012 Fall Sports Shoutout Page.
  2. Shoutouts are for families and friends to show their support for their players, cheerleaders, teams and/or band members.
  3. Shoutouts are also a great way for businesses to show their support for their local team with a link to their webpage.
  4. This page will be archived for everyone to look back at the 2012 fall season.
  5. The cost is only $10 and helps Yappi.com to build a better website and create lasting memories.
Take a look at the page here:
http://www.yappi.com/2012/Fall2012ShoutOut.html

Shoutouts will be placed on the webpage in the order they come in. Recognize your student-athlete! Great opportunity for businesses to advertise on Yappi.com for the low price of only $10

I'm a bit confused....who and why would anyone specifically go to that page? Where will it be located within the Yappi framework?

-CF

It will be linked from the top of the front page and a small icon on the top right of all the fall sports forums (football, golf, soccer, cross country, etc).

A popular HS sports news site in the Summit County area recently went out of business and sent this email:
There is an old adage which says: All good things must come to an end. And so it is with SportsInk.com.

Many of you fueled us with your kind words, encouragement and willingness to help. But in a tough economy, and competing in an even tougher industry, we can’t continue.

The support we received from our 46 high schools was gratifying; however, the same cannot be said for the business community. Not nearly enough decision makers were able to look at our terrific traffic numbers and see the translation to successful advertising.

We have sent thousands of e-mails and postcards, made thousands of unreturned phone calls to potential advertisers and had hundreds of meetings in our three-county footprint.

It’s been frustrating and, quite frankly, it is an industrywide issue. It is hard to believe that a hyperlocal site, with a strong following, that is yet to plateau, and has demonstrated steady growth is shutting down.

Over the last 12 months, the numbers say plenty: 466,000 visits, more than 240,000 unique visitors and nearly 1.5 million pageviews.

Yet the great majority of business leaders, even business leaders with children in high school sports, have made their intentions clear. They are not interested in including our site in their marketing budgets.

Oh, they expect to keep reading it, but they just don’t want to help pay for it.

To those owners, managers and leaders who have supported us over the last three years… thank you! We could not have lasted this long without you!

SportsInk.com originated in a spare bedroom office and was designed to fill a void in high school sports news. We launched in August of 2009 and almost immediately created a competitive environment that forced other media outlets to make high school sports a priority.

In that regard, we were a complete success.

To the administrators, coaches, parents, fans, and most of all the athletes, who “liked us,” “googled us,” became registered users and/or helped to drive our FAN-tastic traffic numbers, our sincerest thanks and best wishes

They were great at what they did. I've always wanted a site with similar content but it's just too expensive to run something like that without consistent support. This "Shoutout" page will help fund something new this fall if there is enough support. If not, this site will remain primarily a message board with limited room for growth.

Just one last thing to add, I personally hate begging for donations. I would rather sell a product that people want (or need). The banner ads on the site keep this place open but I want to move into bigger and better things for Yappi.com. The t-shirts and this Shoutout page are steps in that direction.

I heard about this site at a game 2 years ago. I joined and didn't really get involved just read a few posts here and there. I forgot my login info and created a new account last season and I have really enjoyed this site. I would buy a Yappi hat for sure. I think you could probably get more visits and support if you hung a Yappi banner at the games possibly paid for by the people that visit your site in support of their team. I know several people wouldn't like to see more MIDDIES on here but I would be willing to bet that a banner at Barnitz would add several more visitors to your site as well as others from the area teams and visitors to those stadiums. Only downside....the teenagers it would add.

Yappi,

You could probably raise a decent chunk of cash if you created a Bulletin Board Material page where people could pay $10 to write a hilarious trash-talking message to their school's rivals without fear of it ever being deleted. All in good fun, of course.