X v. Elder

4GX

Don't know where Pope Frank has been lately-- but it's Elder week, at 600 West North Bend Road, and there probably should be a thread here, on the main board for that momentous occasion-- the Elder troops are plenty active on their own school forum, as are X fans on theirs-- but there ought to be a place to discuss the state of the rivalry here on the main forum.

It was only ~three years ago that Elder scored 51 on X over at The Pit (including scoring a late TD in the last minute of the game, while leading 44-26); Elder beat X at Ballaban Stadium the next season (and went on to give PC all they wanted in the State Final in 2019, before losing a close one)-- but things have changed quite a bit in the short while since then...

Elder fans seem concerned about the future, while X fans (for the moment) are contemplating a bright future... but nothing lasts forever (just ask Moeller football fans)...

Last edited:

I hate to say it (because Elder is my second favorite GCL team)-- and I never think it wise to sell Ramsay and the Price Hill Gang short-- but I'm starting to agree with the previous posters here-- I'm beginning to think this will NOT be one of X's two competitive regular season games this year... it's starting to look like there will only be one remaining game (Ig) without a running clock.

Elder lost a captain and 3 year starter on defense Friday night in Louisville. It's a huge loss for the defense.

St. Xavier 49
Elder 21

Beginning of season I thought this was going to be a great game and thought Elder had a chance. Watching St. Xavier a little bit and Elder each game, I'll say there is a talent difference that Elder coaches cannot overcome and even catching X on a bad performance, I think X still wins relatively easy.

You know Elder will come ready to play and play hard though.

Elder lost a captain and 3 year starter on defense Friday night in Louisville. It's a huge loss for the defense.
Their defense was porous with him. And will be porous without him. Ergo not a difference maker
St. Xavier 49
Elder 21
If you mean StX 49-0 at half, and then a 49-21 final I might agree with you.
The only question is can Elder's 1st team offense score on X's 2nd through 5th defense in a half with a running clock?
Possibly

Beginning of season I thought this was going to be a great game and thought Elder had a chance. Watching St. Xavier a little bit and Elder each game, I'll say there is a talent difference that Elder coaches cannot overcome and even catching X on a bad performance, I think X still wins relatively easy.
In addition to the talent difference there is also a significant coaching difference
You know Elder will come ready to play and play hard though
I don't know this but am willing to take your word

Don't know where Pope Frank has been lately-- but it's Elder week, at 600 West North Bend Road, and there probably should be a thread here, on the main board for that momentous occasion-- the Elder troops are plenty active on their own school forum, as are X fans on theirs-- but there ought to be a place to discuss the state of the rivalry here on the main forum.

It was only ~three years ago that Elder scored 51 on X over at The Pit (including scoring a late TD in the last minute of the game, while leading 44-26); Elder beat X at Ballaban Stadium the next season (and went on to give PC all they wanted in the State Final in 2019, before losing a close one)-- but things have changed quite a bit in the short while since then...

Elder fans seem concerned about the future, while X fans (for the moment) are contemplating a bright future... but nothing lasts forever (just ask Moeller football fans)...
Thanks for thinking of me….. just been busy lately. I was lucky enough to attend the X-Elder playoff game last fall, and X was scoring at will. Best guess is this game will be similar.
Of course, these 2 teams both faced Pick Central in the state title game the past 2 years…. gotta love the GCL South!

Don't know about a huge coaching difference unless you are referencing the current assistant staffs. Ramsey and Specht are two of the top coaches in the area (I include Bolden and I think the new Moeller coach has it going on too). It all runs in cycles. X has the talent this year but it is a year to year thing. Due to a work schedule change, I may go to this game and I am going to look PF up for a Hudy Delight!!!

Don't know about a huge coaching difference unless you are referencing the current assistant staffs. Ramsey and Specht are two of the top coaches in the area (I include Bolden and I think the new Moeller coach has it going on too). It all runs in cycles. X has the talent this year but it is a year to year thing. Due to a work schedule change, I may go to this game and I am going to look PF up for a Hudy Delight!!!
I’ll see you there!
Sandwiching the X-Elder game between UC@IU and UC@ND. Putting some miles on the Pope mobile! Many Hoosier fans were excited to see me praying over their team before kickoff… unknown to them, I was actually administering “the last rites”!

Now back to the X-Elder game…
Score prediction:
X - 31
Elder - 13

Last edited:
X definitely has more talented players and better assistant Coaches. The X Assistants and lower level Coaches and staff are leaps and bounds better than Elders. Look at X’s Players Development over the last 4 yrs and Elder’s,it’s really not even comparable.

X definitely has more talented players and better assistant Coaches. The X Assistants and lower level Coaches and staff are leaps and bounds better than Elders. Look at X’s Players Development over the last 4 yrs and Elder’s,it’s really not even comparable.
I will take your word for it. I just have a ton of respect for Ramsey but since my nephew graduated from X, I have not really kept a close eye on the programs other than checking the results after the games.

I expect a similar game as Moeller. X will dominate play by play but Elder will hit a couple big plays. Running clock in 4th quarter.
I feel the same way. Might even be a little more lopsided. I don't think Elder has the speed to exploit X the way Moeller did.

I will take your word for it. I just have a ton of respect for Ramsey but since my nephew graduated from X, I have not really kept a close eye on the programs other than checking the results after the games.
?. I think Ramsey and Specht do an outstanding job. Just think it’s obvious Specht has a much better Staff from Freshman-Varsity than Ramsey.

I also think that St. X should win with a running clock as Elder is down this year. They are 2-3 and got a running clock put on them by St. Edward at the Pit.

Their defense was porous with him. And will be porous without him. Ergo not a difference maker

The only question is can Elder's 1st team offense score on X's 2nd through 5th defense in a half with a running clock?
Possibly

In addition to the talent difference there is also a significant coaching difference

Regardless of how the defense has performed with him, it is still a huge loss. They will find a replacement and move on.

Possibly

49-0 at halftime is pretty grandiose I would say. For one, from watching the Moeller game St. X likes to run the ball behind the offensive line. I suspect they are taking what the defense gives them most of the time. As long as Elder is playing hard, they should still keep X from running untouched to endzone. Those drives take some time and eat some clock. Secondly, if Hambleton doesn't turn the ball over then 49-0 isn't happening in the first half and maybe not the whole game. He threw 3 interceptions against St. Ed's which helped the game get out of hand.

St. X is able to get these big scores pretty quickly, because the offense is consistently working with good field position thanks to their defense getting 3 and outs or getting turnovers. Key for Elder obviously is ball control and being able to move the ball a little bit. I'm not saying they have to score every possession, but they need to at least sustain some drives to not give X a short field.

Regardless of how the defense has performed with him, it is still a huge loss. They will find a replacement and move on.
It hard not to hate a person who is a jerk, even when he is supposed to be on your side. The kid is a deference maker and a great kid from just as great a family. Hoping and praying for a speedy recovery. I know he work work his off to get back in whatever he decides to do.

It hard not to hate a person who is a jerk, even when he is supposed to be on your side. The kid is a deference maker and a great kid from just as great a family. Hoping and praying for a speedy recovery. I know he work work his off to get back in whatever he decides to do.

Well said. I'm sure if he knew the family he would have a different tune.

X is even better than I thought they'd be. I was thoroughly impressed watching them last week, and I just can't see how Elder keeps it close.

X but in a much more competitive and closer game than people think. Maybe 38-24.
Always trying to stir the pot. So how's about you put something behind it.

How's about we play loser leaves town for the remainder of the season. If Elder loses by 6 points or less I will leave the Board for the remainder of the season. If X wins by more than 6 points then you leave the Board for the remainder of the season.

I am guessing you won't do it because you know your prediction is total BS and you have no spine to stand behind it.

X has allowed like 47 points all year and Lakota West and Moeller are the only two teams to score on X's #1 and #2s....

Elder 7

Always trying to stir the pot. So how's about you put something behind it.

How's about we play loser leaves town for the remainder of the season. If Elder loses by 6 points or less I will leave the Board for the remainder of the season. If X wins by more than 6 points then you leave the Board for the remainder of the season.

I am guessing you won't do it because you know your prediction is total BS and you have no spine to stand behind it.
Stirring the pot by saying Elder won't get blown out and will play more competitively than what others on here have said? Gee, report me to the Moderator. Somebody, do something! Get this straight , I will say and post anything I damn well please on here anytime I want. Deal with it.