WOW, tough break for Cooper shore!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tennman

Great wrestler even better young man, hate to see him lose his chance to win a state title like that.

What's your opinion, good call or not?

Sucks for Cooper.
That will always be called a slam — but it wasn’t a trapped arm return and Garaway kid tucked his arm in to land on his shoulder. While it will always be called a slam, no way should it end in a default. Ever.
Many coaches could learn from Bobby Douglas’ handling of a similar situation at the NCAA. If ya don’t know, look it up.

Last edited:
1647145004689.jpeg

Cooper got screwed. Refs need to step back and take the Hippocratic oath. It was a shameful call. And the kid said his coaches told him to “stay down.” Shameful.

Cooper is such a good kid. Just shameful.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no ties to the programs and wasn't watching that match. The only reason I came here was to read what happened when I heard all the booing from the crowd. After reading the thread, I went to Flo to watch the match...I understand that any true wrestling fan hates to see matches end like this, but that was an illegal slam. He drove the kid into the mat - do I think he meant to? No, it was probably the excitement of the situation. But it was on him to control the return and he didn't. Furthermore, there was no trapped arm, and the kid was legitimately hurt. He can't even take off his ankle band with the injured arm at the end of the match nor get his hand raised.
Everyone needs to take the emotion out of the situation. It's an unfortunate situation, but the referee made the right call.

I have no ties to the programs and wasn't watching that match. The only reason I came here was to read what happened when I heard all the booing from the crowd. After reading the thread, I went to Flo to watch the match...I understand that any true wrestling fan hates to see matches end like this, but that was an illegal slam. He drove the kid into the mat - do I think he meant to? No, it was probably the excitement of the situation. But it was on him to control the return and he didn't. Furthermore, there was no trapped arm, and the kid was legitimately hurt. He can't even take off his ankle band with the injured arm at the end of the match nor get his hand raised.
Everyone needs to take the emotion out of the situation. It's an unfortunate situation, but the referee made the right call.
and thats fine, I agree with everything you said but if injured to the extend of a default win the focus should shift to healing and that would involve certainly no more wrestling

and thats fine, I agree with everything you said but if injured to the extend of a default win the focus should shift to healing and that would involve certainly no more wrestling
Absolutely. You default ...you're done. Obviously that will eliminate certain problems associated with the validity of the default. Also they should have a review team of 3 that looks at a challenge on a call that decides a match since this is more important to the wrestlers than a ref's potential arrogance.

Absolutely. You default ...you're done. Obviously that will eliminate certain problems associated with the validity of the default. Also they should have a review team of 3 that looks at a challenge on a call that decides a match since this is more important to the wrestlers than a ref's potential arrogance.
Absolutely, your WRONG!!! I'm glad that you have some type of divine power that can discern whether an athlete can recover from an injury and then an hour later be able to return to competition. We see it all the time at every level. An athlete comes of the field or the court and gets medical attention, goes through a variety of protocols, taped, medication, etc. and returns to the competition sometimes in less than 15 mins. I would hope that the assistant wasn't hesitant in sharing his opinion of the return to the mat (he's there for a reason). The ONLY arrogance on the officials part would be if he ignored a different take from his assistant. Ultimately though he makes the call. I do know this official personally and arrogance is certainly not one of his characteristics. He's on the big stage and wants to make the best decisions possible. I do sense some arrogance but not from the official.

agreed, and refs are human, they can get caught up in the moment or be swayed by crowd reaction

Absolutely, your WRONG!!! I'm glad that you have some type of divine power that can discern whether an athlete can recover from an injury and then an hour later be able to return to competition. We see it all the time at every level. An athlete comes of the field or the court and gets medical attention, goes through a variety of protocols, taped, medication, etc. and returns to the competition sometimes in less than 15 mins. I would hope that the assistant wasn't hesitant in sharing his opinion of the return to the mat (he's there for a reason). The ONLY arrogance on the officials part would be if he ignored a different take from his assistant. Ultimately though he makes the call. I do know this official personally and arrogance is certainly not one of his characteristics. He's on the big stage and wants to make the best decisions possible. I do sense some arrogance but not from the official.
spin it anyway you like, if you win by default you should not be permitted to return to competition, if the guy only needs a bandaid as you suggest then he wasn't hurt enough to default the match

Stop with the holier than thou....I've seen many officials do a screw job on an athlete where arrogance is involved. Saw Mattueci throw one out of the state tournament for an arrogant ridiculous call completing screwing a multi state champ his freshman year... MOST are good, but to claim none exhibit bias or arrogance is STUPID. MOST athletes who are on injury time, do NOT DEFAULT and take a win. If they are that injured where a medical person or coach claims they are not able to continue.......they are DONE.

Status
Not open for further replies.