Would you like a travel ball tournament with 7 inning games?

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
Would a tournament that plays complete games be of interest. Of course, run rules would still be in effect but a competitive game wouldn't be ended prematurely because of a time limit?

I personally would be interested in a tournament like this but it seems many tournaments are getting shorter and shorter games.

I dispise time limits and rules that change the integrity of the game.

The only things I approve of that is a change from the norm is the sliding run rule scale that some tournys use.

Would it do anything to help promote the tourny and get more teams? Doubt it.

Would it do anything to help promote the tourny and get more teams? Doubt it.
That is what I am curious about. It seems that time limits are baked in now for travel softball. I definitely enjoy HS softball more than travel because the game stays truer at that level. IMO, one of the worst things to watch in travel softball is someone using the clock to win a game.

Just this Summer, watched a girl pitch a very good game. Gave up no runs through 3 2/3 innings. She was leading 3-0 and facing the last hitter in the lineup. Because there was less than 2 minutes left, the coach needed to have a mound visit. It was just a pool play game but the coach really needed that win without risking another inning...

That is what I am curious about. It seems that time limits are baked in now for travel softball. I definitely enjoy HS softball more than travel because the game stays truer at that level. IMO, one of the worst things to watch in travel softball is someone using the clock to win a game.

Just this Summer, watched a girl pitch a very good game. Gave up no runs through 3 2/3 innings. She was leading 3-0 and facing the last hitter in the lineup. Because there was less than 2 minutes left, the coach needed to have a mound visit. It was just a pool play game but the coach really needed that win without risking another inning...
I doubt it would help bring teams in. Some may even stay away as the timelines could get really jacked.

Hate when coaches play to the clock. Last summer in louisville a T3 coach came out 3 times to do pitching changes with nobody on and 2 out. C'mon dude. The game was much closer than it should have and I have no doubt that was his strategy to run the clock out!

Hate when coaches play to the clock. Last summer in louisville a T3 coach came out 3 times to do pitching changes with nobody on and 2 out. C'mon dude. The game was much closer than it should have and I have no doubt that was his strategy to run the clock out!
I can understand minor changes to help the clock but blatant attempts like that are just bush league. Taking a first strike or an extra second to deliver a pitch are reasonable.

We had two games this year where we were winning go one more inning while the clock was below a minute. We knew where the time was but didn't change anything. Fortunately, we won both of those games.

I've said this before, but in travel softball, when there is a clock it is part of the game and I see nothing wrong with it being used as a coaching strategy. I've been on both ends of the spectrum and I've been angry at coaches for stalling and I've also encouraged our coach to stall. Ultimately the goal is to win, even in pool play. I agree it can be taken too far and at times can be kind of bush league, but I see nothing wrong with a mound visit or a pitching change to take time off the clock. To me, it's no different than a basketball coach slowing the game down at the end or a football coach using every second on the play clock to kill time in the fourth quarter. Bottom line, I've never seen a losing coach kill the clock. If you don't want the opposing coach to play games with the clock, be ahead as time winds down.

I've said this before, but in travel softball, when there is a clock it is part of the game and I see nothing wrong with it being used as a coaching strategy. I've been on both ends of the spectrum and I've been angry at coaches for stalling and I've also encouraged our coach to stall. Ultimately the goal is to win, even in pool play. I agree it can be taken too far and at times can be kind of bush league, but I see nothing wrong with a mound visit or a pitching change to take time off the clock. To me, it's no different than a basketball coach slowing the game down at the end or a football coach using every second on the play clock to kill time in the fourth quarter. Bottom line, I've never seen a losing coach kill the clock. If you don't want the opposing coach to play games with the clock, be ahead as time winds down.
Here is the thing....I DGAFF if the team wins on these fleecing leagues. I really dont. His school teams...hell yeah, but these weekend pool play/bracket play/consolation game I give zero Fs if they win. I just want a good fundamental game of baseball (which is rare) where the coach just doesnt throw out the bats and balls and have the kids play, and that the kid plays well, learns and gets better.

Wins and Losses for these teams......dont care one bit. Quite honestly, Im good with the losses so games dont linger into Sunday.

School team....100% in for the win.

Here is the thing....I DGAFF if the team wins on these fleecing leagues. I really dont. His school teams...hell yeah, but these weekend pool play/bracket play/consolation game I give zero Fs if they win. I just want a good fundamental game of baseball (which is rare) where the coach just doesnt throw out the bats and balls and have the kids play, and that the kid plays well, learns and gets better.

Wins and Losses for these teams......dont care one bit. Quite honestly, Im good with the losses so games dont linger into Sunday.

School team....100% in for the win.
I can't say I don't care about winning and losing in travel ball, but we're in agreement on the school teams. I care way more about wins and losses and personal success in school ball than I ever did about travel ball. My daughter is currently playing in college and I swear some of those close games are taking years off my life. And when she's pitching it's even worse. Luckily, they win a lot more than they lose so I might make it to 50 after all lol.

I don't agree with you unless the clock is visible and can be stopped like in other sports. IMO, I wish the umpire would keep the clock and add time when he saw stalling without letting either coach know. IMO, it is not part of the game, it is just a mechanism to keep the games mostly on time.

I remember watching a youth basketball game where the tie-breaker was points allowed. In the final game, one team held the ball both halves and won the game 4-0 over a clearly over-matched team. The other team got one shot off. It was within the rules of the game but not the spirit. The coach of the stalling team was rightly called out by fans at that game as well as fans from other teams. I happened to be there rooting for that team, understood why he did it, and apologized to the fans of the other team for the poor sportsmanship.

Rules shouldn't have to be made to prevent the 5% that abuse those rules. IMO, if you are going to stall in softball, don't be so obvious about it.

Rules shouldn't have to be made to prevent the 5% that abuse those rules. IMO, if you are going to stall in softball, don't be so obvious about it.
I agree with that, I guess that's the point where I think it can become bush league. But like I said, I don't see a mound visit or a pitching change as that big of a deal and I would never encourage playing the clock game with 8 or 10 minutes left. You get down to those last 2 or 3 minutes, I don't see anything wrong with taking your time.

Would a tournament that plays complete games be of interest. Of course, run rules would still be in effect but a competitive game wouldn't be ended prematurely because of a time limit?

I personally would be interested in a tournament like this but it seems many tournaments are getting shorter and shorter games.
I was part of running the Keith Carver memorial in Maysville Ky and Colerain from 2008-2013.

We had 2hr drop dead time limit and only a handful of games ever hit that.
The MEGA TOURNAMENTS that draw in as many teams as they can are the ones that look for ways to increase revenue with 60/90 minute time limits and teams have to be ready to play 15 minutes before their scheduled start time are all just money grabs.... We had fresh KHSAA and NCAA DIII umpires including 3 for championship play.
Free admission, coolers allowed, THE BEST CONSESSIONS AVALIABLE how many tournaments have pot roast and fried chicken dinners available, well stocked restroom with running water 5GG, vendors selling trinkets and the awards included T-shirt, Trophy's, and dog tags.
The event ran Friday -Sunday and we would pull teams from as far away as Michigan and Alabama for the HS and Open events.
10u/12u was more local but we had more collage coaches there than some events that advertised the event as a college showcase....
We even gave hotel and local restaurant discounts working with the local chamber of commerce all for just a $400 tournament fee.
Now Cost have went up but TD can offer quality events at decent prices when the girls are the main focus and not profit. Good news is there are still some events that run this way.

Last edited:
I get sick of watching teams having long huddles between innings, every player stepping out after each pitch and taking numerous practice swings, players walking on and off the field every inning, then the coach complains about a 75 minute time limit. In 75 minutes, you should be able to play more than 3 or 4 innings.

I get sick of watching teams having long huddles between innings, every player stepping out after each pitch and taking numerous practice swings, players walking on and off the field every inning, then the coach complains about a 75 minute time limit. In 75 minutes, you should be able to play more than 3 or 4 innings.
Agreed!! I get annoyed with our own team when we do some of those things. Personally, I don't like the huddles between innings. Have your glove ready to go and get on the field.

Time Limit is necessary most of the time because many travel or select teams just aren’t as good as they think they are. Do like few Baseball Tournaments, No New Inning after 1 hr 45 minutes-2 hrs. No Time Limit in Semis and Finals. The good teams can play a Full game within that time frame. Once a Fast Pitch or Baseball Game reaches 2+ hrs it is my experience that most players and coaches just want it to end,especially in pool play.

Agreed!! I get annoyed with our own team when we do some of those things. Personally, I don't like the huddles between innings. Have your glove ready to go and get on the field.
The only team that should be huddling (if at all) is the team leaving the field while the opposing team takes the field and throws a couple of warm-up pitches. I have found most of the teams that huddle are led by coaches who love to hear themselves talk. They are the same teams that spend an extra 20-30 minutes talking after the game.

I don't agree with you unless the clock is visible and can be stopped like in other sports. IMO, I wish the umpire would keep the clock and add time when he saw stalling without letting either coach know. IMO, it is not part of the game, it is just a mechanism to keep the games mostly on time.

I remember watching a youth basketball game where the tie-breaker was points allowed. In the final game, one team held the ball both halves and won the game 4-0 over a clearly over-matched team. The other team got one shot off. It was within the rules of the game but not the spirit. The coach of the stalling team was rightly called out by fans at that game as well as fans from other teams. I happened to be there rooting for that team, understood why he did it, and apologized to the fans of the other team for the poor sportsmanship.

A bout a clock.......

Have you been to a MiLB game where they have that pitch clock? I dont know...but to me it just doesnt seem right. Feels, different, like, well, you're on the clock.

WHat dives me nuts about the timed games is all the lollygagging between innings throughout the game, courtesy runners not ready, etc. It seems like they just care about the time in the last 10 mins or so.

A bout a clock.......

Have you been to a MiLB game where they have that pitch clock? I dont know...but to me it just doesnt seem right. Feels, different, like, well, you're on the clock.

WHat dives me nuts about the timed games is all the lollygagging between innings throughout the game, courtesy runners not ready, etc. It seems like they just care about the time in the last 10 mins or so.
This is all on the Coaches. Most don’t really teach how to play the game the right way! When we played, you walked to your position,you sat down for an Inning or 2. Again, wouldn’t need a clock if most teams could actually play the game properly.

This is all on the Coaches. Most don’t really teach how to play the game the right way! When we played, you walked to your position,you sat down for an Inning or 2. Again, wouldn’t need a clock if most teams could actually play the game properly.
Years ago, HS summer game, we had an away game. They had just one umpire. (ended up being their spring HS coach). We offered one of our players dads, who was an umpire. He didnt want to, but did because at HS...one umpire? Cmon!

ANyways...he was sort of a that game and between innings was having everyone hustle in and out to speed up the game beacuse we had al ong drive and the weather was moving it. He was aggressive with it, and that game...wow. It flowed so good that I wish every game was that way!

The only team that should be huddling (if at all) is the team leaving the field while the opposing team takes the field and throws a couple of warm-up pitches. I have found most of the teams that huddle are led by coaches who love to hear themselves talk. They are the same teams that spend an extra 20-30 minutes talking after the game.
Further, the huddles should be 30ish seconds at most. Also, if you are concerned with time then try to have a few people ready to help the catcher get their gear back on after they bat.

I personally don't mind players not sprinting to their positions. As long as they are going with at least a bit of pep in their step I am ok with it. With that being said, if everyone is engaged there isn't may reasons you can't do an inning change in under 2 minutes.