WNBA All-Star Brittney Griner arrested in Russia on drug charges

Sure, most have probably heard the name, very few have ever watched her play-including me, have no idea how many titles or MVPs she’s won. You’re correct, most of us only knew her name from her tremendous accomplishment of being 6’9” and dunking a basketball, HUUUUGE accomplishment.
No one said being famous/celebrity = HUUUUGE accomplishment.

No, just people trying to argue how “famous” she is. She is more famous for being a WNBA player detained in Russia than she ever was for being a WNBA/ Baylor basketball star.
I don't disagree with that. News outlets that would never have covered the WNBA are now reporting on this because it's crossed into the realm of US/Russia relations. I was simply letting Bob know that you don't have to follow or watch a particular sport to have peripheral awareness of someone's celebrity in it. I loathe NASCAR, but can generally name drivers - even though they may not be considered "famous".

Heard a blurb on ESPN stating that she has to go to Russia because she make so little in the wnba.

220K average salary on her deal.

dont she if she has any endorsements or anything but imagine she can pull in more $$ using her fame in some aspect.

Living on 220k a year...oh the humanity.

I don't disagree with that. News outlets that would never have covered the WNBA are now reporting on this because it's crossed into the realm of US/Russia relations. I was simply letting Bob know that you don't have to follow or watch a particular sport to have peripheral awareness of someone's celebrity in it. I loathe NASCAR, but can generally name drivers - even though they may not be considered "famous".
I can't name one WNBA player. Never heard of Griner until she got arrested. If they didn't keep bringing her up for her current situation I wouldn't give her another thought. Sadly I never think about the other American citizens being held in Russia until recent events made them newsworthy again. Seems wrong that Griner is made to be more important than the other detainees.

Heard a blurb on ESPN stating that she has to go to Russia because she make so little in the wnba.

220K average salary on her deal.

dont she if she has any endorsements or anything but imagine she can pull in more $$ using her fame in some aspect.

Living on 220k a year...oh the humanity.
Yea some idiot woman on ESPN said she need to “feed her family”
The times we live are truly absurd.

WNBA players fight inequality of pay all the time, no way she has enough money to hire an assistant.
I did an internet search. She can afford to hire somebody to pack her bags and carry them?‍♂️

Brittney Griner Net Worth​

in Richest AthletesNBA Players
Brittney Griner Net Worth:
$5 Million

Brittney Griner's Salary​

$227 Thousand

What is Brittney Griner's net worth and salary?

Brittney Griner is an American professional basketball player who has a net worth of $5 million. Brittney Griner's peak annual salary was $227,000 which is the WNBA league max. Like other top WNBA players, Britney has periodically played overseas for much larger paydays. For example, in 2014 she made $600,000 to play for a Chinese team for three months. In recent years she has earned around $1.5 million playing in Russia.

I did an internet search. She can afford to hire somebody to pack her bags and carry them?‍♂️

$5 Million

$227 Thousand

Brittney Griner is an American professional basketball player who has a net worth of $5 million. Brittney Griner's peak annual salary was $227,000 which is the WNBA league max. Like other top WNBA players, Britney has periodically played overseas for much larger paydays. For example, in 2014 she made $600,000 to play for a Chinese team for three months. In recent years she has earned around $1.5 million playing in Russia.
This is even worse then I thought..
She F—up a 1.5 million salary playing in Russia because she can not smoke “the weed”.
Stupid.

$5 Million

$227 Thousand

I was being facetious.

The only WNBA player I could name is Sue Bird. I believe she is very good but the reason for name recognition is the last name. Not sure if Larry Bird's daughter or not.

$5 Million

$227 Thousand

Just wanted to add that no one, and I mean no one, will change to being a woman for a few years if they realize they can travel the world and make millions (it’s been said this will never happen).

The only WNBA player I could name is Sue Bird. I believe she is very good but the reason for name recognition is the last name. Not sure if Larry Bird's daughter or not.
Candace Parker
Sue Bird
Diana Taurasi
Griner

Honestly that’s about all I know off top of my head, that was in large part because of their NCAA careers.

I can't name one WNBA player. Never heard of Griner until she got arrested. If they didn't keep bringing her up for her current situation I wouldn't give her another thought. Sadly I never think about the other American citizens being held in Russia until recent events made them newsworthy again. Seems wrong that Griner is made to be more important than the other detainees.
As I said a few pages back, any discussion around Griner's release should also include Paul Whelan. If nothing else, the attention given to her has also given renewed attention back to his potential release.

As I said a few pages back, any discussion around Griner's release should also include Paul Whelan. If nothing else, the attention given to her has also given renewed attention back to his potential release.
If not for Griner he wouldn't be given that attention. Maybe he is more deserving of that attention than she is.

1659751540682.png

Never heard of Griner until she got arrested. If they didn't keep bringing her up for her current situation I wouldn't give her another thought.
You seemed biased against LBGTQ. If she never did anything to you or yoursw, isn't your credo to support her rights?

You seemed biased against LBGTQ. If she never did anything to you or yoursw, isn't your credo to support her rights?
Funny. I grew up with my uncle who was a year older than me. He is gay and I love him like a brother. I support being responsible for our own actions. She broke the law of a foreign country and pleaded guilty to the charges. She is a grown person. What rights did she forfeit? She isn't the first person to be charged and sentenced for drug possession in Russia. My credo is also you can't help those who won't help themselves. Who fault is it that she ended up in this situation?