Withrow vs Hoban?

Big ups to Withrow for scheduling Hoban. If they want to compete with the best they have to beef up their pic games and they did just that. Now winning the game is a different story but great to start getting these kids to see the competition is high level at the top of D2. ??????

Withrow had 2 very good (QB, RB) at a Frosh game I saw last year. My guess is the QB might have already been playing some varsity looking at his helmet decals. The kid was nearly unstoppable. In any case this likely won’t end well for Withrow but kudos for scheduling.

Maybe Withrow saw how Winton Woods took care of Hoban and wanted their shot. I hope they know the water is pretty deep and they should swim at their own risk.
This was the same thing I was thinking. But they aren’t close to that level. They will learn really quickly that it’s a total different ball game.

This looks like it's more the case of Withrow's AD filling up the schedule...not caring about the final results.
I don't know. If that is the case, they could have picked anyone else that is closer. Honestly, schools should often challenge themselves especially if they are willing to come to your spot. Dang near everyone makes the playoffs now, so what's to lose?

I don't know. If that is the case, they could have picked anyone else that is closer. Honestly, schools should often challenge themselves especially if they are willing to come to your spot. Dang near everyone makes the playoffs now, so what's to lose?
Scheduling can be difficult...especially if a team 'backs out,' can be hard to get a certain week filled. The safety factor should also be a consideration. There's a ton of difference between a state champion and (not saying this because of these 2 teams) a perennial 2-8, 3-7 team.

I know schools like Withrow traditionally would have difficulty scheduling.

Even on down years, a 2 or 3 win team with athletes like Withrow typically has can have a breakout game and stun someone which could keep some teams out of the playoff under the previous format.

Under the new playoff format, I expect we will see many more unconventional matchups, which I think is positive. I'd love to see more games between powers of different divisions.

It’s more than a challenge. Kids could get hurt! I’m being serious.

• Haha
Reactions: y2h
I know schools like Withrow traditionally would have difficulty scheduling.

Even on down years, a 2 or 3 win team with athletes like Withrow typically has can have a breakout game and stun someone which could keep some teams out of the playoff under the previous format.

Under the new playoff format, I expect we will see many more unconventional matchups, which I think is positive. I'd love to see more games between powers of different divisions.
They can’t have a breakout win with nobody in the trenches. Hoban is trying to get the State Ship back. They will be very motivated

They can’t have a breakout win with nobody in the trenches. Hoban is trying to get the State Ship back. They will be very motivated
I agree with you on that. That's been a huge glaring weakness of Withrow for ever. Gotta improve the lines dramatically if you want to take that next step.

No, if anything they lost their best players and coach to West Clermont. This game would be over before kickoff. Hoban could bring their JV and still have a running clock.
Lost their best players?
The HC declined the WC job....they lost 4 8th graders to WC but still have 4 kids with current D1 offers and a lot of young talent....I think there is a little bit in the cupboard at Withrow.

I saw they had Tiffin Columbian scheduled and now its Hoban.

At least Hoban will get to play in one of the coolest stadiums in the state. Hopefully the game can pack the house for quarter or so

Maybe Withrow saw how Winton Woods took care of Hoban and wanted their shot. I hope they know the water is pretty deep and they should swim at their own risk.
Winton Woods did take care of Hoban. But what Hoban is bringing back this season Withrow will soon experience. ? Total domination from Hoban. Massillon and McKinley would not be able to run with them. Moeller St. Ignatus would and could.

On Withrow social media looks like they have their kids going to some good college skill camps for example The University of Alabama and Jackson State University. Looks like Withrow program is going in the right direction to me from the outside looking in.

On Withrow social media looks like they have their kids going to some good college skill camps for example The University of Alabama and Jackson State University. Looks like Withrow program is going in the right direction to me from the outside looking in.
I'm hearing a lot of good things about the Tigers, I would love for a city league team be good in football.

Good luck to Withrow. It'll be a tall order against Hoban. Hopefully they can compete. Maybe, just maybe, they can eek out a win

Hoban's probably glad to have an opponent in Ohio. Interesting that it'll be played in Cincinnati. Is this a one time deal? Hoban is experiencing scheduling problems similar to St. Ignatius and Cardinal Mooney teams of the past.

Far from a perfect comparison, but in last year's playoffs:

Piqua beat Withrow by 4 (17-13)
Winton Woods beat Piqua by 21 (38-17)
Winton Woods beat Hoban by 11 (21-10)