Winton Woods vs Piqua

mrsimp06

This game is rather rare in the Regional finals, seem like all the heavy hitters were in the bottom bracket and Piqua played lesser competition. Oh well... here we are can the Warriors slow down 1800 yard rusher Melody and contain the Piqua passing attack? Can Piqua match Winton Woods physical play in the trenches? Just a few questions prior to the game.

Piqua will face something they haven't all season long. They will be the underdog and will go into a game where nobody expects them to win. But the one thing I know they will show up at the stadium and get off the bus ready to go. They will not be intimidated and they are going to come out and play their game. Piqua's coaching staff has been at this for a long time and they will have the kids as prepared as possible. Now does any of that equate to being able to capture a win only time will tell. I found the WW vs Kings to watch but haven't watched much of it yet.

I have said this all year long I didn't think they could get out of the region because they have too many kids playing both sides of the ball and they often become their own worst enemy with stupid penalties. They have cut down on some of the stupid penalties, but still have way to many boys playing both sides of the ball IMHO.

I do believe WW is battle tested and having the stronger bracket.
We have beat Turpin, Kings, Lasalle all 3 good teams in their own right.

WW at this stage in the season will not look past anyone.

The last half of the season, in particular the playoffs, the Warriors are locked in and ready.

They are right now playing with so much confidence and the switch is on.

I will say this one last time, this definitely doesn’t look like the same team, so there will not be a letdown.

Go Warriors

Piqua will face something they haven't all season long. They will be the underdog and will go into a game where nobody expects them to win. But the one thing I know they will show up at the stadium and get off the bus ready to go. They will not be intimidated and they are going to come out and play their game. Piqua's coaching staff has been at this for a long time and they will have the kids as prepared as possible. Now does any of that equate to being able to capture a win only time will tell. I found the WW vs Kings to watch but haven't watched much of it yet.

I have said this all year long I didn't think they could get out of the region because they have too many kids playing both sides of the ball and they often become their own worst enemy with stupid penalties. They have cut down on some of the stupid penalties, but still have way to many boys playing both sides of the ball IMHO.
The one thing I can guarantee is the game is going to be physical, having players going both ways against Winton Woods is going to be tough.

Piqua will play hard and they are tough. But they won’t be able to beat WW I don’t think.
WW 35 Piqua 14

I remember Brandon Saine went to Piqua. Other than that, I know hardly anything. They made it to the Regional Finals so they have to be a good team. They are also undefeated. WW will be ready to play. This team has gotten more confident each week in the playoffs. If the Warriors can play at the same level of play as the prior few weeks, things should be fine.

Indians get scalped. Winston woods team speed will wear down the Indians on both sides of the ball and fourth quarter will turn ugly for Piqua, giving up 21 points . WW 35. Piqua 14. Piqua keeps it close for 36 minutes.

As long as WW plays every game like the last 3 & we'll be fine but we have a tendency to play to the level of our opponent when they find out they're the favorite ie WALNUT HILLS, LEBANON, LOVELAND. If we keep the underdog approach we should be just fine vs Piqua. They're big but our speed & depth should wear them out, watching film some kids play both sides which should fair well for us.

I don't know what happened to Winton Woods between Week 2 and Week 13 ... or between Week 10 and Week 13 for that matter, but the Warriors team I saw play Friday night isn't losing to anybody outside Hoban or maybe Massillon. I guess based on the whole season, it's a matter of who shows up and I can't imagine the Warriors letting down.

I anticipate this being much like the past several years when a WW or LS team faced someone like Sidney, Miamisburg or Lima.

This does look to be a classic trap game for WW. Piqua is big up front,and they try to pound you to death. Piqua throws the ball just to keep the defense honest. Stopping the run is what WW does best. But the pass defense from WW has been outstanding this season. If WW can keep Piqua in passing situations it will be a long night for Piqua.If the WW team from the last 4 weeks shows up WW wins 35-18.

I remember Brandon Saine went to Piqua. Other than that, I know hardly anything. They made it to the Regional Finals so they have to be a good team. They are also undefeated. WW will be ready to play. This team has gotten more confident each week in the playoffs. If the Warriors can play at the same level of play as the prior few weeks, things should be fine.
They are a sound football team. Coached by longtime coach Bill Nees. I believe Nees has been there for 30 or so years?? They play in a week conference and didn’t really get tested this year until the playoffs. They have a good mix of run and pass with a great rb. They won’t be out coached.
They are big. The only way to beat them is by simply having better talent which I believe WW does.

I don't know what happened to Winton Woods between Week 2 and Week 13 ... or between Week 10 and Week 13 for that matter, but the Warriors team I saw play Friday night isn't losing to anybody outside Hoban or maybe Massillon. I guess based on the whole season, it's a matter of who shows up and I can't imagine the Warriors letting down.

I anticipate this being much like the past several years when a WW or LS team faced someone like Sidney, Miamisburg or loop p
They are a sound football team. Coached by longtime coach Bill Nees. I believe Nees has been there for 30 or so years?? They play in a week conference and didn’t really get tested this year until the playoffs. They have a good mix of run and pass with a great rb. They won’t be out coached.
They are big. The only way to beat them is by simply having better talent which I believe WW does.
We will be more physical!

So anyway... Winton Woods fans need to give yourself plenty of time coming through downtown Dayton then getting on West 70 over Englewood can have it's challenges. Hopefully it's not too bad it's a Friday!

Taking the Route 4 option might not be bad, but I have not traveled that so I don't have a clear opinion of it.

So anyway... Winton Woods fans need to give yourself plenty of time coming through downtown Dayton then getting on West 70 over Englewood can have it's challenges. Hopefully it's not too bad it's a Friday!

Taking the Route 4 option might not be bad, but I have not traveled that so I don't have a clear opinion of it.
I’m taking route 4

I heard that Piqua got quite the home field advantage last night, with the hosting stadium pumping up the Piqua crowd on 3rd downs and other shenanigans. Maybe Northmont will be more "neutral". Hopefully this game will be as good as advertised, and may the best team win!

There was someone who got butt hurt because the press box kept playing the same stuff they do at Wayne games. I know a lot of Piqua fans was equally annoyed by it. If the whole press box would have just been silent it would have been fine. Nothing that comes out of the press box has any merit on the game or the players.

I watched a little more of the WW vs Kings game this morning, the WW defense is very opportunistic and Piqua will need to limit their mistakes. Hopefully they can use the aggressive defense against them. On defense the Indians are going to need to be sound and not miss tackles. Hopefully Piqua can get some of the holding calls that Kings didn't get, both the WW tackles looked they was doing a tutorial on how to hold.

I sat on the Piqua side and as a neutral fan the hells bells and enter sandman songs on 3rd down didn't get the crowd going at all. I also didn't even notice the defense on the scoreboard.

In my opinion what hurt Edgewood the most was the fullback getting hurt. Piqua did nothing in the 3rd quarter and Edgewood did nothing in the 4th. Piqua about half way through the 3rd quarter, started stopping the trap up the middle, that helped as well.