Will we return to a day of personal accountability?

14Red

I'd be curious to hear others feelings on this, young, not so young, etc.

We seem to live in an age where people's personal decisions don't matter anymore, and in many cases, assistance is everywhere. And don't get me wrong, this isn't a slam on the poor, and there are truly people out there who have had unfortunate things happen. My worry is we've softened the narrative so much that many people don't have the intestinal fortitude to make themselves a good life. Many of our elected leaders seem to only want to take care of people.
There has never been a time when people had it better than they do now in 2021 America. Many people pay little to no taxes. Our government gives people money to live on, health insurance, stipends for utilities, food, etc. The richest poor people in the world live right here.
My feelings are very simple, the breakdown of the family that really started happening in the 70's and 80's have put us in a place where young people simply don't know how to take care of themselves. And now those people are in their 40's and 50's and future generations feel this is the way it's always been. Meanwhile the mainstream media continues to tell people how bad everything is, and how they need to speak up. How about just taking care of yourself, building up a bank account and a life that you're proud of? There is nothing that stands in the way of a person who really wants to make something out of their lives. Thoughts?

I'd be curious to hear others feelings on this, young, not so young, etc.

We seem to live in an age where people's personal decisions don't matter anymore, and in many cases, assistance is everywhere. And don't get me wrong, this isn't a slam on the poor, and there are truly people out there who have had unfortunate things happen. My worry is we've softened the narrative so much that many people don't have the intestinal fortitude to make themselves a good life. Many of our elected leaders seem to only want to take care of people.
There has never been a time when people had it better than they do now in 2021 America. Many people pay little to no taxes. Our government gives people money to live on, health insurance, stipends for utilities, food, etc. The richest poor people in the world live right here.
My feelings are very simple, the breakdown of the family that really started happening in the 70's and 80's have put us in a place where young people simply don't know how to take care of themselves. And now those people are in their 40's and 50's and future generations feel this is the way it's always been. Meanwhile the mainstream media continues to tell people how bad everything is, and how they need to speak up. How about just taking care of yourself, building up a bank account and a life that you're proud of? There is nothing that stands in the way of a person who really wants to make something out of their lives. Thoughts?
Ok, you touched a nerve.

I grew up in what today would be considered a poor household. Five kids. We did not just share rooms we shared beds. We shared hand me down outfits. We had one TV that had three stations depending on cloud cover. Pipes froze in the winter forcing you to sleep with a stocking hat and with no AC everyone slept on the living room floor on those hot summer nights with one fan blowing in the front door and another out the back. Lol. If you opened the fridge we had about 4-5 items depending on the day. A chunk of bologna, some milk, a couple condiments, and a block of cheese. We had crappy old gigantic station wagons. And when we got out of line we got the belt. We had paper routes and cut peoples grass for some money. We played whatever sport was in season ALL DAY LONG. No adults, we made the rules, and it worked. The entire neighborhood kind of lived this way.

I knew we did not have a lot but I never considered ourselves poor. We never went without food or shelter. However, it made me want more.

Today, through my own kids and coaching I see kids that are on free and reduced lunch and whose parents do not work have EVERYTHING. New IPhones, tablets, name brand clothes, name brand $150 sneakers, as their parents drive new to newer large SUV's. You USED to be able to see poor but not anymore. To make matters worse, there is zero accountability for actions. Sorry is just a word. Many kids have no consequences for wrong-doing. Kids drive nicer cars than most adults. You no longer see kids cutting grass for a couple bucks. Pick up games are a thing of the past as EVERYTHING is structured for kids from birth to 18. The local sports station carried a youth swim meet the other day and I'd say 60% of the kids had guts. The fat kid when I was growing up would be darn near skinny today. Kids today eat like f$%^ing kings and are coddled soft through HS and even college.

Parents today think their kid is the most special and precious thing on the planet. They are not. Kick their arse in gear and make them work for things. Miserable jobs make you want something better. Accountability starts at home and now we have a generation of adults who were never held accountable having kids who are even less accountable.

How's that for a rant? ;)

Ok, you touched a nerve.

I grew up in what today would be considered a poor household. Five kids. We did not just share rooms we shared beds. We shared hand me down outfits. We had one TV that had three stations depending on cloud cover. Pipes froze in the winter forcing you to sleep with a stocking hat and with no AC everyone slept on the living room floor on those hot summer nights with one fan blowing in the front door and another out the back. Lol. If you opened the fridge we had about 4-5 items depending on the day. A chunk of bologna, some milk, a couple condiments, and a block of cheese. We had crappy old gigantic station wagons. And when we got out of line we got the belt. We had paper routes and cut peoples grass for some money. We played whatever sport was in season ALL DAY LONG. No adults, we made the rules, and it worked. The entire neighborhood kind of lived this way.

I knew we did not have a lot but I never considered ourselves poor. We never went without food or shelter.
However, it made me want more.

Today, through my own kids and coaching I see kids that are on free and reduced lunch and whose parents do not work have EVERYTHING. New IPhones, tablets, name brand clothes, name brand $150 sneakers, as their parents drive new to newer large SUV's. You USED to be able to see poor but not anymore. To make matters worse, there is zero accountability for actions. Sorry is just a word. Many kids have no consequences for wrong-doing. Kids drive nicer cars than most adults. You no longer see kids cutting grass for a couple bucks. Pick up games are a thing of the past as EVERYTHING is structured for kids from birth to 18. The local sports station carried a youth swim meet the other day and I'd say 60% of the kids had guts. The fat kid when I was growing up would be darn near skinny today. Kids today eat like f$%^ing kings and are coddled soft through HS and even college.

Parents today think their kid is the most special and precious thing on the planet. They are not. Kick their arse in gear and make them work for things. Miserable jobs make you want something better. Accountability starts at home and now we have a generation of adults who were never held accountable having kids who are even less accountable.

^ This.

Sometimes, good intentions produce bad results. Maybe in another generation things will get better.

In the meantime, I'm afraid we have become enablers and fear there is no turning back.

Ok, you touched a nerve.

I knew we did not have a lot but I never considered ourselves poor. We never went without food or shelter. However, it made me want more.

It's almost like we grew up at the same time. I was also the remote control for the TV and had to use pliers to change the channels.

I think there are kids around today that would love a newspaper route and to cut grass for a few bucks. It is the parents that prevent it from happening because their kid might get abducted or cutoff their hand. Kids today really do have it easy because the parents coddle them so much. Not sure it will help them in the future when they have to make their own choices.

EXAMPLE: How many defendants do you hear say "I plead guilty, as charged"?

In my opinion, personal accountability hasn't changed a whole lot in the past 50 years, but there are a whole lot more persons.

Ok, you touched a nerve.

You had TWO fans?!?! Break out the tiny violins. smh We WISHED we had windows in our windows. Pipes freezing kept the coachroaches from coming out the taps.

OK Grandpa, I CAN break out the yearbooks and see all the chubbos. Fat kids aren't new. No, you don't as much see kids mowing grass for a couple bucks. They got these things now called "power mowers" that even your old lady can push. You see kids running landscape business, working two service jobs, taking FOUR years of Math and English. Did you ever pass that Geometry class? Don't answer. There's a depth of academic talent in today's graduating classes that your entire 4-year cohort couldn't match. You were 6'2" 120lbs with a 13 second 100yd dash and you started. Kids today push more iron and cover a 100 yds faster than you cover from the john to the dinner table.

Your turn. :D

Here is a picture of Chunk doing the Truffle Shuffle in 1985.

1625746618241.png

Then I found your baseball picture from 1976 :ROFLMAO:

1625746772760.png

Then there is today...

1625747002592.png

In all seriousness, head to the local pool if it is even open. Look around at all of the 11 and 12 year olds with guts.

You had TWO fans?!?! Break out the tiny violins. smh We WISHED we had windows in our windows. Pipes freezing kept the coachroaches from coming out the taps.

OK Grandpa, I CAN break out the yearbooks and see all the chubbos. Fat kids aren't new. No, you don't as much see kids mowing grass for a couple bucks. They got these things now called "power mowers" that even your old lady can push. You see kids running landscape business, working two service jobs, taking FOUR years of Math and English. Did you ever pass that Geometry class? Don't answer. There's a depth of academic talent in today's graduating classes that your entire 4-year cohort couldn't match. You were 6'2" 120lbs with a 13 second 100yd dash and you started. Kids today push more iron and cover a 100 yds faster than you cover from the john to the dinner table.

Your turn. :D
I guess optimistic thought is good. But, reality is important. I ran a 4.7 40 yard dash. Ouch. I could dunk at 6'. My father's Basketball team jumped off chairs for lay-up pictures. He was a gigantic 6`. One thing remained constant. Competition I don't see the fire in most youngsters. Everyone gets a trophy.

OK not quite old-farts, time to be educated by Mr. Mediocrity here.
Then I found your baseball picture from 1976 :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 18610

Hadn't seen that photo in years, been looking for it. Thanks! Funny how time can flip roles. :)

I guess optimistic thought is good. But, reality is important. I ran a 4.7 40 yard dash. Ouch. I could dunk at 6'. My father's Basketball team jumped off chairs for lay-up pictures. He was a gigantic 6`. One thing remained constant. Competition I don't see the fire in most youngsters. Everyone gets a trophy.
I, I, I, always I with you. :D

While you two were excelling, doing your 50 one-knuckle push-ups with Mom on your back, the rest of the kids did not have fire in the eye. They were just waking up, going to school because they had to, going home and sneaking peeks at the Playboy channel. Most of the girls were still... actually I'm not sure what they did with their days. Had to be boring.

The population is much more spread out than it was even when you were kids. MANY more teenaged females are involved in sports, extra-curriculars and workplace. Your perception is being colored by what you made available to yourself then and what you present to yourself now. A lot of that fire in the eye is elsewhere. There's a whole world out there you are not seeing. I think you can find it on youtube, lol. You guys don't sound like you were the average kid. Got to compare apples to apples.

Ultimately, you all are posting on the same message board as Mr. Mediocrity.
giphy.gif

Who exactly is to blame for that? I know we all got trophies playing YMCA soccer back in 1986. I'm fairly certain none of us 5 year olds went out and purchased the trophies for ourselves. Sounds like maybe someone born between 1946-1963 may have done that. I can't quite remember what that generation's nickname is......Those of you in that generation I can't imagine what the Greatest Generation had to say about you guys.

Who exactly is to blame for that? I know we all got trophies playing YMCA soccer back in 1986. I'm fairly certain none of us 5 year olds went out and purchased the trophies for ourselves. Sounds like maybe someone born between 1946-1963 may have done that. I can't quite remember what that generation's nickname is......Those of you in that generation I can't imagine what the Greatest Generation had to say about you guys.
Things I post here are my personal perspective. Opinions I helped coach kids when I was younger. There were only a couple of things I ask.
RESPECT If you didn't respect, I would figure a way to make it happen.
MAXIMUM EFFORT Give me your best and you are a great teammate.
Those 2 simple qualities are lacking today in many. Not everyone, but it's a theme with many contributing factors.

How confident are you two that you are properly evaluating the difference between 14 year old contemporaries you remember from your 14 year old perceptions and experience and today's 14 years olds evaluated with a lifetime of experience?

Hell, I remember my perceptions of the best athletes when I was in school. Massive or well muscled kids. Until I go look at old newspaper clippings and see string beans.

IB I bet you have heard of Micky Archer, before your time. Ohio St recruit. legend is his kick-off went out of the stadium. 175lbs. Gary Jackson? 6'5" OhioU recruit. Disappeared if he turned sideways.
Things I post here are my personal perspective. Opinions I helped coach kids when I was younger. There were only a couple of things I ask.
Those 2 simple qualities are lacking today in many. Not everyone, but it's a theme with many contributing factors.

Those two simple qualities have always been lacking in many, not everyone. You said it yourself in the second line. It is fact, kids are faster, kids are stronger, kids are smarter with no more natural ability than your generation but they have built on the shoulders. Ok, there's cell phone but they didn't go invent and buy them themselves.

I would bet, with no way to prove of course that the % of kids working in service industry and other jobs is far and above the number that delived papers, mowed lawns, and shoveled snow.

Last edited:
How confident are you two that you are properly evaluating the difference between 14 year old contemporaries you remember from your 14 year old perceptions and experience and today's 14 years olds evaluated with a lifetime of experience?

Hell, I remember my perceptions of the best athletes when I was in school. Massive or well muscled kids. Until I go look at old newspaper clippings and see string beans.

IB I bet you have heard of Micky Archer, before your time. Ohio St recruit. legend is his kick-off went out of the stadium. 175lbs. Gary Jackson? 6'5" OhioU recruit. Disappeared if he turned sideways.

Those two simple qualities have always been lacking in many, not everyone. You said it yourself in the second line. It is fact, kids are faster, kids are stronger, kids are smarter with no more natural ability than your generation but they have built on the shoulders. Ok, there's cell phone but they didn't go invent and buy them themselves.

I would bet, with no way to prove of course that the % of kids working in service industry and other jobs is far and above the number that delived papers, mowed lawns, and shoveled snow.
Fairly confident.

While coaching I remember being amazed at the amount of kids on the team (a very large team at that) that did not work. They drove nice cars and had nice things but did not work. We would always have the kids (their family) pay for team pre-game dinners. $10 from every kid at the beginning of the year to help the moms with material. Half the kids could not pay but were wearing $150 cleats and $50 arm sleeves and had the newest cell phone money could buy. When we played, everyone had some BS job for $6 an hour. Gopher for a rough builder, cut grass, caddy, wash cars, etc... Home builders today cannot find framers. They struggle to find site guys. Many of today's kids have by and large become too good to work those BS jobs. There is no longer any incentive because they HAVE everything they want.

Mickey Archer, you are going back but I do remember and you make my point. Kids were leaner a couple generations ago no doubt. The food business exploded in the late 80's early 90's. People went from eating 3 relatively healthy meals a day to eating, well, all the time, and bad $chit at that. The explosion of sugary drinks has been very detrimental. Growing up, we had milk and water. We would get some Kool-Aid on those special occasions.

And as for the last statement I return to my first statement. Fairly confident you are wrong here but perhaps not? Of course I still see kids hustling and working. I stopped in Packo's the other day and saw what looked like the United Nations behind the counter, it was refreshing, all neighborhood kids I'd bet. Perhaps my perspective is skewed. I was also just talking to a couple buddies who coach baseball at local burbs. They both commented on how the kids on their teams drive nicer vehicles than they do and also how most of the kids do not work a job of some sort. Everyone has "things" without ever having to earn or hustle and that hurts our society when it comes to accountability IMO.

Last edited:
I don't know these kids that have everything they want. I know a FEW kids that have the sneakers and the cars. Tats are the thing now anyhows. Most of them worked for the cars. First tats are usually gifts and worked for after that. Sneakers were probably gifts. Yes they all have cells but that's a necessity to their parents as well as to them. Every kid I grew up with had shoe laces, mostly. Parents demanded we have shoelaces so we had show laces. We were spoilt.

Me wrong? :ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO: I thought I taught you better. A lot of those kids are working the warehouses too. There's a large population you're not seeing. Long term educational goals? A few but again, no different than when you was a kid or I was riding the dinasaur. Me? Never shoveled for money. Never mowed for money. Never delivered papers except maybe to cover for a day or two. I think I had a lemonade stand on E Broadway for a day but Ma stopped fronting me the powder because I kept drinking the product. Most kids, simply didn't do anything after school, not even sports. Those were anecdotes that did.

You had by choice or fate or parent's decision surrounded yourself with a narrow slice of the total, kids that had visible "fire." You probably just didn't notice the rest of the world. You would never have noticed me. You think I didn't have "fire?"

Most kids are not so perceptive that they do notice anything more than 10 feet from the feet.

Last edited:
Same here.

Nobody asked about your coaching philosophy. I asked who made the call to create a world of everyone gets a trophy? It sure wasn't the kids, they're not in charge, the adults are.

I'd be curious as to how many kids actually have the old fashioned paper route in 2021. Like seriously with the slowdown in traditional print journalism nationwide I can't remember the last time I saw a delivered paper. I'm still somewhat surprised when standing in line at the gas station to see printed a printed newspaper stand.

I'd be curious as to how many kids actually have the old fashioned paper route in 2021. Like seriously with the slowdown in traditional print journalism nationwide I can't remember the last time I saw a delivered paper. I'm still somewhat surprised when standing in line at the gas station to see printed a printed newspaper stand.
I don't think anyone was presuming kids today have paper routes. Do they? Today's jobs were being compared to jobs of yore. Babysitting only one I can think of that's the same.

Reading all the great responses on here, thanks. And don't get me wrong, there isn't a parent who doesn't want a better life for their kids. I just think we go overboard in a lot of places where we need to stand down and let the process play out. We are so inclined I think to help people but in many ways we are crippling them. We have so many programs that assist the poor that they are we (and we all started from somewhere) never feel the need to work for things. Our legislators don't help either. The way politics works, is you have to always be doing something "keep your job". What's the best way for a politician to make an impact and get good pub? Help the poor. It's truly maddening.

I would rather separate discussion on government funded programs to assist the poor from private programs to assist the poor.

One is designed around compassion and moral duty. The other is castration meant to keep them peaceful and in thrall. And neither is purely the province of those that declare Democrat or Republican.

The Church,neighbors and family used to provide.
I would rather separate discussion on government funded programs to assist the poor from private programs to assist the poor.

One is designed around compassion and moral duty. The other is castration meant to keep them peaceful and in thrall. And neither is purely the province of those that declare Democrat or Republican

The Church,neighbors and family used to provide.
Yep. Then the Church left for richer pastures and opened the door for the government to step in. Now they lobby and beg government money to keep their doors opened without accountability. Maybe it's not so much individuals but institutions that have lost their personal accountability? Crazy world.

Yep. Then the Church left for richer pastures and opened the door for the government to step in. Now they lobby and beg government money to keep their doors opened without accountability. Maybe it's not so much individuals but institutions that have lost their personal accountability? Crazy world.
I use the word family. Neighborhoods were families, Churches were families and of course the family. Spirituality used to have more of an influence. Maybe we are just in a cycle and we cycle back up. Imo

One is designed around compassion and moral duty. The other is castration meant to keep them peaceful and in thrall. And neither is purely the province of those that declare Democrat or Republican.
More to my point, I would like to go back to a time when people's own personal pride would not allow them to take handouts. There was a time when people only got assistance if it was a last resort. We don't have a jobs shortage in this country, we don't have an education shortage. Everyone is guaranteed a basic education. Many don't take advantage of it. Nearly anyone is eligible to work in this country. Now they may not be exactly what you want to do, but that's on you, not the country. We have generations of people who live off the system.

More to my point, I would like to go back to a time when people's own personal pride would not allow them to take handouts. There was a time when people only got assistance if it was a last resort. We don't have a jobs shortage in this country, we don't have an education shortage. Everyone is guaranteed a basic education. Many don't take advantage of it. Nearly anyone is eligible to work in this country. Now they may not be exactly what you want to do, but that's on you, not the country. We have generations of people who live off the system.
I would say the answer is simple. No work, No eat

The work ethic developed and choices young people are making right now will greatly determine the path of their life. Thanks Mr. Obvious.

In the past it seemed like responsibility to your family was a great motivator to get out of bed everyday. As the family has fallen apart that motivation has gone with it. "Most" kids will model after their parents example - hard working parents create hard working kids, because the kids see a good example everyday and their parents won't put up with anything less. In general the same holds true for those who have a bad or no example.

It blows my mind how many 30-50+ year old men I hear saying "I'm staying here for now", because it is the latest woman they are taking advantage of and living off of. Can't even take care of themselves let alone a family.

WTF - Have some pride.

The work ethic developed and choices young people are making right now will greatly determine the path of their life. Thanks Mr. Obvious.

In the past it seemed like responsibility to your family was a great motivator to get out of bed everyday. As the family has fallen apart that motivation has gone with it. "Most" kids will model after their parents example - hard working parents create hard working kids, because the kids see a good example everyday and their parents won't put up with anything less. In general the same holds true for those who have a bad or no example.

It blows my mind how many 30-50+ year old men I hear saying "I'm staying here for now", because it is the latest woman they are taking advantage of and living off of. Can't even take care of themselves let alone a family.

WTF - Have some pride.
One of the best posts here in awhile. The breakdown of the family, I feel, is at the root of alot of problems in today's America. We need to stop making excuses for poor behavior and choices. Because some people who are raised badly get themselves out. The two trendy excuses today is mental health/ anxiety and addiction. Some people are touched in the head, but not as many as we create. And I've never understood the addiction one. No one forced you to drink and do drugs, at some point you made that initial decision.