Why SLC lost and why they Did not

consumerman

It seems there have been a few theories (aka excuses)

What I have heard most is that MNW had better athletes and SLC was an underdog and SLC's defense was 85% new.

SLC won 79 of 80 games and dominated Texas 5A football

they had their QB and RB back who were superstars last year

they had the home field (and major home travel) advantage

they had the fan advantage

it seems to me they have won lots of playoff games scoring huge amounts of points, euless game excepeted

heck they were tied 29-29 in the 4th q of last year's final if I am not mistaken

I think using their "new" defense as an excuse is just that an excuse

allowing 29 points is not why they lost the game

their offense had 1 meaningful scoring drive

that is not SLC's standard MOA

their offense had 5 turnovers

their offense scored 14 points, even though 7 of those were a VERY short drive

their running game was non-existant

they lost the game because their offense had a very poor performance

no drives, a few points, tons of turnovers

and I still say take away some of those drive saving 15 yard penalties against MNW and completed passes that were clearly out of bounds and SLC did even worse than the stats and game shows

they lost the game because their offense did not show up

period

I even heard this from the SLC radio announcer

well a pass is considered complete if the heel touches the ground first even though the toe land out of bounds

that is

1) wrong

2) trying to make up for a homer call with a ridiculous explanation

Instead of posting 8 times in a row like you normally do I recommend using the 'edit' function.

And where are you seeing these excuses? Every post i've read has had classy posts from MNW fans, SLC fans, and neutral.

Instead of posting 8 times in a row like you normally do I recommend using the 'edit' function.

And where are you seeing these excuses? Every post i've read has had classy posts from MNW fans, SLC fans, and neutral.

and what are you adding to the thread besides attacking me??

moeller was good when the 60s?

It seems there have been a few theories (aka excuses)

What I have heard most is that MNW had better athletes and SLC was an underdog and SLC's defense was 85% new.

SLC won 79 of 80 games and dominated Texas 5A football

they had their QB and RB back who were superstars last year

they had the home field (and major home travel) advantage

they had the fan advantage

it seems to me they have won lots of playoff games scoring huge amounts of points, euless game excepeted

heck they were tied 29-29 in the 4th q of last year's final if I am not mistaken

I think using their "new" defense as an excuse is just that an excuse

allowing 29 points is not why they lost the game

their offense had 1 meaningful scoring drive

that is not SLC's standard MOA

their offense had 5 turnovers

their offense scored 14 points, even though 7 of those were a VERY short drive

their running game was non-existant

they lost the game because their offense had a very poor performance

no drives, a few points, tons of turnovers

and I still say take away some of those drive saving 15 yard penalties against MNW and completed passes that were clearly out of bounds and SLC did even worse than the stats and game shows

they lost the game because their offense did not show up

period

Yup, SLC's offense didn't show up... that's why they had nearly the same amount of yards as MNW. Oh, and if SLC had a better defense, last year, and Westlake scored 29 pts (the same that MNW scored) what does that say about MNW?? New defense is an excuse?? Haha... they were playing with 5 Sophmores and 80% was playing their 2nd live game. MNW played Belle Glades in May, then played Deerfield Beach, Carol City and another team. SLC played Lake Highlands, who is now 0-3.

And MNW had a few 6'5/6'4 WR's who were speedy and solid QB. SLC's very young secondary was doing the best they could, being undersized and inexperienced. They would've walked through just about any team, if they had the same secondary. What's your point???

I really wish the 2004 SLC, 2005 SLC and 2006 SLC teams were able to play this MNW team. Because if they lost there wouldn't be any reasoning. But given the inexperience on defense, SLC did a solid job.. against the best team in the Nation... bar none.

turnovers

the bane of every losing team

we woulda coulda shoulda if tre didnt fumble and if our second string qb had thrown the ball better etc etc

he did fumble and the other qb tried for a big play and got burned

reminds me of the cowboys excuse brigade after the niners whomped them for the second of three straight in the 94-95 years

this time for the nfc championship, back then also known as the real super bowl

cowboy fan excuses: "well if you didnt score 21 points off our three turnovers in the first 6 minutes we probably would have won"

I equated that to saying well if you didnt hit those 3 grand slams off us n the first 2 innings, we would have won the baseball game

turnovers created

turnovers forced

turnovers on desperate plays

slc turned the ballover 5 times and did not have the offensive firepower to overcome that

I agree

I have to bekieve that few teams will hold this MNW team to 29 points and if I am thinking right, 7 of those came on a pretty short field. The offense let em down. Plain and simple. MNW adjusted at the half and SHUT THEM OUT. SLC should count there lucky stars they did not get beat by 21 points. Dodge - Exposed (would have never made it at Texas)
Newton - Jury still out. I would like to see him behind some hogs on the line.

I really wish the 2004 SLC, 2005 SLC and 2006 SLC teams were able to play this MNW team. Because if they lost there wouldn't be any reasoning. But given the inexperience on defense, SLC did a solid job.. against the best team in the Nation... bar none.

oh god i knew we would be hearing this BS

MY WISH is that the Euless coach not choked and called a fake punt WHILE LEADING and holding the other team to 16 points through 3 5/6 quarters

then SLC would have not have even been ranked in the top ten

here we go

SLC lost because their offense DID NOT SHOW UP

you dont win games by piling up stats or moving between the 20s

you win games by scoring and not giving up turnovers

the 49ers gave up SIX turnovers to the Cowboys and the 1981-82 NFC championship and had two of the worst PI calls in history against them and they still won

yards and first downs and stats dont win games

scoring does

SLC had 1 meaningful scoring drive

I have to bekieve that few teams will hold this MNW team to 29 points and if I am thinking right, 7 of those came on a pretty short field. The offense let em down. Plain and simple. MNW adjusted at the half and SHUT THEM OUT. SLC should count there lucky stars they did not get beat by 21 points. Dodge - Exposed (would have never made it at Texas)
Newton - Jury still out. I would like to see him behind some hogs on the line.

I must admit you are the only non-apologist out there

good comments

turnovers

the bane of every losing team

we woulda coulda shoulda if tre didnt fumble and if our second string qb had thrown the ball better etc etc

he did fumble and the other qb tried for a big play and got burned

reminds me of the cowboys excuse brigade after the niners whomped them for the second of three straight in the 94-95 years

this time for the nfc championship, back then also known as the real super bowl

cowboy fan excuses: "well if you didnt score 21 points off our three turnovers in the first 6 minutes we probably would have won"

I equated that to saying well if you didnt hit those 3 grand slams off us n the first 2 innings, we would have won the baseball game

turnovers created

turnovers forced

turnovers on desperate plays

slc turned the ballover 5 times and did not have the offensive firepower to overcome that

Who would have enough firepower against MNW, if they turned the ball over 5 times?? SLC had some turnovers forced - like Tre Newton on MNW's 5 yard line - and then they casued some turnovers, like back-up QB-Pardon underthrowing an open WR, in the endzone.

MNW almost had a few INT's, as well. One of the SLC DB's is still kicking himself for dropping it. And didn't Derek Tomlin strip a ball, then return it for a td?? I was there.. yup, he sure did.

The stats don't lie. You Ohioans are doing everything you can to make this look so concrete.. you can't. It's on film. Anyone who says MNW was a 21 or 28 pts better is completely bias and probably ignorant to reality, as it is.

MNW won. Congrats to them. Let it go.

Best football STATES..

1) Texas
2) Florida
3) California
4) Georgia or Ohio

..goodnight.

I'm so glad you can't rank 1 game on the football depth and quality of that particular state.

I'm so glad you can't rank 1 game on the football depth and quality of that particular state.

you sure can when the team is CS to travel

explaining why I think SLC lost is not attacking them

it is WHY I THINK THEY LOST

personal attacks are what they are = consider the source

Give it a rest, Ohioan. You're state will always be 2nd place to Texas, Cal and Fla. Stop bashing SLC for doing what no other team can... playing a recruited JUCO toe-to-toe.

Give it a rest, Ohioan. You're state will always be 2nd place to Texas, Cal and Fla. Stop bashing SLC for doing what no other team can... playing a recruited JUCO toe-to-toe.

1. He's not from Ohio.

2. Technically we'd be in 4th place, not 2nd.

Thank God you guys have all that ----kickin' football to fall back on, since you obviously can't get it done in the classroom.

ummm IM not from Ohio

thanks for the compliment anyway

get over it

SLC has been exposed

The 2007 SLC team has been exposed??? They only played 1 game vs Lake Highlands. What, exactly, did MNW expose???

Oh are you talking about the 2004, 2005 and 2006 teams?? Well, you'd have to call those players when you can. The majority (like freakin 98% of them) are in college. Let'em know they've been exposed... whatever that means.

1. He's not from Ohio.

2. Technically we'd be in 4th place, not 2nd.

Thank God you guys have all that ----kickin' football to fall back on, since you obviously can't get it done in the classroom.

If I consider Texas, California and Florida on the same level, then yes.. you're 2nd Place to us.

The last thing I need is an oil-spiller, who thinks #2-ranked Colerain of 2005 beating (4-6) Tyler Lee of 2005, by 15 pts, means Ohio is an elite football power.

Homestead, FL played them just about as good as you did.

Right... and MNW committed 6 turnovers. They did everything they could to give the game away.. and still won by 10 pts. Even QB-Harris said they won't play SLC sloppy the way they did Homestead.

As it turns out, SLC played sloppy and had 5 turnovers... and lost by 8 pts. They plenty of opportunities to make plays happen and failed. MNW won. Period. If they play, a month from now, I still feel good about SLC's chances. JMO, of course. I'd even put Katy, Cedar Hill, Desoto, Smithson Valle, Plano, Cy Falls and Westfield against MNW. I'd like those match-ups.

Right... and MNW committed 6 turnovers. They did everything they could to give the game away.. and still won by 10 pts. Even QB-Harris said they won't play SLC sloppy the way they did Homestead.

As it turns out, SLC played sloppy and had 5 turnovers... and lost by 8 pts. They plenty of opportunities to make plays happen and failed. MNW won. Period. If they play, a month from now, I still feel good about SLC's chances. JMO, of course. I'd even put Katy, Cedar Hill, Desoto, Smithson Valle, Plano, Cy Falls and Westfield against MNW. I'd like those match-ups.

Lets not forget that SLC may not even be the best in TX this year. We will wait and see.

Only thought that comes to mind is the lost opportunity of DLS to expose SLC before 31,896 fans.

The 31,896 fans tell you all you need to know. I know of one individual from Texarkana that traveled 175 miles to see the game.

Congrats to both teams.

Right....they played half as sloppy and only committed three turnovers against SLC.

I could care less regradless as I dont have a dog in this fight. But I disagreed with your statement that only SLC could go toe-to-toe with MNW. There are a few Ohio teams I would love to see take on MNW as well.

Everyone is getting riled up over this game as if determies which state is better in football. Lets face it people, games such as SLC/MNW and the Herbie games only determine which ONE team is better than ONE other team. Texas, Cali, Florida, and Ohio all have outstanding football and arent afraid to try and prove it. The outcomes dont always come out how we want them to, but those are the breaks. Thats high school football. Any given weekend can have a different outcome. Take a look at Elder who knocked off Independence only to lose to league foe La Salle the next week.

The debate over football supremecy amongst the big four will go on forever, and single game matchups early in the season arent the best indicator of determining which state gets the nod.

Personally, the state I have been impressed with the most since the start of the Herbie has been California. I have long been suspect of the teams out on the west coast, but their teams have made the long trip to come into Ohio and they come ready to play. While the matchups can be argued, the final score cannot. Hats off.

Only thought that comes to mind is the lost opportunity of DLS to expose SLC before 31,896 fans.

The 31,896 fans tell you all you need to know. I know of one individual from Texarkana that traveled 175 miles to see the game.

Congrats to both teams.

DLS has nowhere near the athletes of MNW

SLC would probably beat DLS this year and definitely would have the last three years

DLS does seem to have more of a spark this year - someone said this is the fastest (read quickest) DLS team in 10 years

I have not had the opportunity to review the DLS - Serra game I taped as my wife was involved in a very serious car accident last week

PS Serra, who trailed DLS at one point 40-0, beat a 3-0 team 37-13 rather easily, albeit the team was from Reno

Sorry about your wife. While we are internet sparring partners, I wish no ill will on anyone.

Question were you impressed by the turnout?

Sorry about your wife. While we are internet sparring partners, I wish no ill will on anyone.

Question were you impressed by the turnout?

very impressed

and I will add in 2003 a game between #1 DLS and 1 loss SLC would probabaly have been a tossup

the great DLS teams were 93-02
with one year undefeated sw on each end