Why do you like/ dislike the NBA?

14Red

The NBA has kind of turned into a all in/ all out for fans. Why is that? Basketball continues to be one of the major sports in the country, in fact, you could say it's second behind the NFL.

Oh no...the first basemen/catchers...yeah, some of them are on the "big bone" side but many of the pitchers and positions players...............
There are many very fit women, playing softball in what is essentially Yoga pants......
The Pitchers are pretty big girls a lot of the time. Regardless, they still have more skin covered than volleyball girls. Which again, there’s absolutely no reason to have shorts like that other than to show off their a**. That’s cool but I don’t know who they think they’re fooling. It’s not like they need to be in full sprint like the track girls.

It’s funny how there’s now a public cry for Becky Hammon to get one of the HC jobs. There’s zero chance the players respect her. They might be woke on racial issues, but they’re not going to take orders from a female coach.
I'm not sure I'd call it a public cry. Many on the extreme left are calling for it, and anyone who says anything against it, which is the majority, is now muzzled by the media because no one wants that publicity. Most NBA players don't listen to men coaches, even ones who played in the NBA.

Watching the Sixers/Hawks game sums up my feeling when watching the NBA. Amazed at the shot making ability, but don't think it is improved over past years. They just take a lot more crazy As$ shots than before, so they make more. A lot of what the hell - oh wow he made it moments.

Couple things late I didn't like. Sixers up 2 or 3 with under 2:00 to go and the best shot they can attempt is an Embiid 3 with time left on the shot clock that he missed. Then Young comes down, defender challenges the 3 point shot straight up and down, Young jumps into the defender (moving forward about 5 feet from where he began his shot) and the defender gets called for a foul. No way does Young's normal shooting stroke include a 5 foot leap forward from 3.

The NBA wants more offense so they call the game to benefit the offense. Jumping into defenders on 3's, 3 steps and a jump stop, carrying the ball - palm up on hesitation dribble and crossover etc. These guys are ultra skilled and athletic - why let them get away with not enforcing the rules as written?

The spread/iso would not be as effective, defenders would have a better chance to defend 1 on 1 and help side could stay closer to shooters if they would actually call the game by the book.
I agree 100% percent, the NBA rules committee is going to have to look at a few things. The players "drawing" contact has got out of hand. Trae Young is the king of drawing fluky fouls, and I don't just say that because I'm a Sixers fan. The rule about closing out of shooters came about when a star was taken out of the playoffs due to coming down on a defender's foot. Now if a 3 point shooter is touched, a foul is called. It's gone way overboard.

My good buddy had a German Shepard. Great dog but every time they would leave for a day it would get into their newborn's diaper bin and destroy a diaper creating a mess when they got home. I would always tell him that you cannot fight 35,000 years of evolution (far longer actually). He never got the dog fixed so if he did get out of his fenced yard he was gone. You cannot fight instincts. Lol.

Having women around NBA and NFL teams is a frigging joke from a couple perspectives. One, they are not qualified (there are 1,000 more qualified coaches) and two they have zero street cred (I think you said that). The two I know of in the NFL are at least lesbians so the guys cannot poach even though a couple will probably still try. Lol. I did see the one for the Browns just got a DUI. Wonder if she keeps her job?

I'm all for fair anything as long as the person can do the job. I will call anyone whatever the F they want to be called. I will respect you and as long as you respect me. But there was a reason women did not serve on the front lines in the military. 99% of women cannot physically do what an average man can. We are different. We have physically different bodies and different hormones running around. We think differently. This notion that women can do anything is BS. They can do most anything but there is a line.

Same with transgender. You can identify as a f$%&ing horse for all I care. But physically you are still a man or a woman so do not expect me to acknowledge you as a horse when it matters. Weird times man. Really weird times.
Unfortunatley, and no pun intended, but the horse is out of the barn. The LGBTQ community is here and isn't going away. It's funny that they proclaim equality, yet they want much more than equality. I have no idea if any of these women who've been GIVEN NBA/ NFL jobs are qualified, but they got handed positions because they leagues are trying to be stylish. It's going to blow up in their faces. Most fanbases are conservative and will not support leadership like this. I would think Hammon and Whitherspoon would want to coach in the WNBA anyway?

The topic was why you do or don't like the NBA. Nothing to do with women sports but here we are. The conversation changed. His comments were on topic for the conversation.
This thread is dominating the Questions topic so let's proceed. I like the banter back and forth.

More people watch women's sports than we'll ever guess, they keep getting put on TV. And it's no secret as to why the uniforms are the way they are, just like there's no secret why the sideline women and women on TV sports look the way they do. The ladies on the MLB network look like their going clubbing when going over the nightly highlights, and they aren't behind a counter, they are in full view. Of course this isn't sexist in any way, until someone complains about someone making a pass at them. Just crazy times we live in.

The topic was why you do or don't like the NBA. Nothing to do with women sports but here we are. The conversation changed. His comments were on topic for the conversation.
No they weren't. The topic evolved to whether women could or should coach men's sports and vice versa.

I think they should just do away with the three point shot.

I'm tired of watching half of the game being a guy running the ball up court, and throwing up a three.

Do away with it, and you'll see more defense, and the game will be a lot more interesting.

Unfortunatley, and no pun intended, but the horse is out of the barn. The LGBTQ community is here and isn't going away. It's funny that they proclaim equality, yet they want much more than equality. I have no idea if any of these women who've been GIVEN NBA/ NFL jobs are qualified, but they got handed positions because they leagues are trying to be stylish. It's going to blow up in their faces. Most fanbases are conservative and will not support leadership like this. I would think Hammon and Whitherspoon would want to coach in the WNBA anyway?
I'm at a point where I'm interested in seeing a franchise try. I think the only avenue that has a prayer is by promoting from within so that she already has the backing of the organization, and the only option in the NBA is Becky Hammon with the Spurs. I would not predict a shot at the Magic job ends in success.

Even if it did fail, it wouldn't prove that a woman can't do the job.

No they weren't. The topic evolved to whether women could or should coach men's sports and vice versa.
And then we had people talking about dogs, transgender people, uniforms, etc.

It certainly fit with where the conversation was going and has gone. I know this is part of your schtick but it's boring. You're not the forum cop.

And then we had people talking about dogs, transgender people, uniforms, etc.

It certainly fit with where the conversation was going and has gone. I know this is part of your schtick but it's boring. You're not the forum cop.
At least the dog thing was an allegory to the coaching topic, but hey, womynz sports amirite?!! what a strange looking kitchen!

The Pitchers are pretty big girls a lot of the time. Regardless, they still have more skin covered than volleyball girls. Which again, there’s absolutely no reason to have shorts like that other than to show off their a**. That’s cool but I don’t know who they think they’re fooling. It’s not like they need to be in full sprint like the track girls.
I know a bit about volleyball, so I'll say that the point of the spandex is because of the quick movements and range of motion needed in a lot of plays. A lot of hitting the floor and bouncing right back up to keep playing. The explanation I've gotten is the spandex do a good job of not restricting that motion and are tight enough so that when you do hit the floor to dive, slide or roll, the shorts are staying in place so as to not expose anything. You're not gonna ever see men's volleyball players in those (thank God), but majority do wear sliding shorts underneath their uniform shorts for those same reasons.

If you want equal do you not want to get your position through hard work and merit? It is the ONLY way it works.

I know a bit about volleyball, so I'll say that the point of the spandex is because of the quick movements and range of motion needed in a lot of plays. A lot of hitting the floor and bouncing right back up to keep playing. The explanation I've gotten is the spandex do a good job of not restricting that motion and are tight enough so that when you do hit the floor to dive, slide or roll, the shorts are staying in place so as to not expose anything. You're not gonna ever see men's volleyball players in those (thank God), but majority do wear sliding shorts underneath their uniform shorts for those same reasons.
But then why aren’t girls also wearing the sliding shorts over the spandex? I’m not complaining, I just think it’s funny how sexualized the Unis are.

I'm at a point where I'm interested in seeing a franchise try. I think the only avenue that has a prayer is by promoting from within so that she already has the backing of the organization, and the only option in the NBA is Becky Hammon with the Spurs. I would not predict a shot at the Magic job ends in success.

Even if it did fail, it wouldn't prove that a woman can't do the job.
Are there really any successful NBA coaches? I mean that's a league where coaching matters the least. The players don't want coaching, the coaches tip toe around the players. NBA coaches are hired to be fired.

I think they should just do away with the three point shot.

I'm tired of watching half of the game being a guy running the ball up court, and throwing up a three.

Do away with it, and you'll see more defense, and the game will be a lot more interesting.
I'm not saying it's not overutilized, but the point of the 3 point shot was the game to too packed in the paint. Teams would put 5 guys in the lane to wall the offense from getting close.
I think an alternative is to start calling fouls when guys go to the rim or take mid range shots. The contact is so much near the basket, a clean look at a 3 has become a better shot.

But then why aren’t girls also wearing the sliding shorts over the spandex? I’m not complaining, I just think it’s funny how sexualized the Unis are.
Good question. I don’t know. When I’ve coached girls, it’s always made me a little uncomfortable, but it’s just the way it is I guess

I did not watch a single game this past season.

I am opposed to slavery in China.
And I'd guess most if not all NBA fans are opposed to slavery in China.

So anyway, on a related point, the TV ratings for the NBA playoffs are up. Many people say one thing and do another, but I also thing the NBA got wind of their actions last summer. Why NBA ratings are up...

- Very slowly over the course of the season, the social just cries, the complaints have pretty much dried up. My guess is the NBA administrators, in conjunction with the teams, coaches, players agents pretty much told the players to knock it off. Their actions last summer severely hampered their product to the masses.

-The LeBron factor. And the king of the whining is LeBron James. His move to LA has pretty much moved him into more of a cultural icon than a basketball player. His skills are waning, and he's setting up life after basketball. Frankly, MUCH of America was tired of his act. It's no coincidence that the rise in the ratings is related to LeBron not being in the playoffs.

-anything else on? I mean seriously...NFL is quiet for one of the few times during the year. I'm a diehard baseball fan but there is less and less of us everyday. Heck they've made it a selling point to crack down on sticky substances on baseballs just to promote some interest in the game. Soccer? Nah, never going to be a big deal here. And this is why the NBA pushed to keep their season where it was normally at. They don't want to compete with the NFL like they did last year in the bubble.

And I'd guess most if not all NBA fans are opposed to slavery in China.

So anyway, on a related point, the TV ratings for the NBA playoffs are up. Many people say one thing and do another, but I also thing the NBA got wind of their actions last summer. Why NBA ratings are up...

- Very slowly over the course of the season, the social just cries, the complaints have pretty much dried up. My guess is the NBA administrators, in conjunction with the teams, coaches, players agents pretty much told the players to knock it off. Their actions last summer severely hampered their product to the masses.

-The LeBron factor. And the king of the whining is LeBron James. His move to LA has pretty much moved him into more of a cultural icon than a basketball player. His skills are waning, and he's setting up life after basketball. Frankly, MUCH of America was tired of his act. It's no coincidence that the rise in the ratings is related to LeBron not being in the playoffs.

-anything else on? I mean seriously...NFL is quiet for one of the few times during the year. I'm a diehard baseball fan but there is less and less of us everyday. Heck they've made it a selling point to crack down on sticky substances on baseballs just to promote some interest in the game. Soccer? Nah, never going to be a big deal here. And this is why the NBA pushed to keep their season where it was normally at. They don't want to compete with the NFL like they did last year in the bubble.
Soccer is going to pass baseball quicker than you realize

Politics. The NBA was supposed to be the second biggest sport as NASCAR and MLB went on the decline. Now UFC will likely take the #2 sport as the NBA went full woke
3. The players think that I care about their political views
4. Constantly pushing # 3.
Do you say the same thing when the NFL/MLB/NASCAR shove military and government propaganda down your throat?

Soccer is a terrible sport to watch televised most of the time like. Not enough action, the same as baseball with it's absurdly slow pace and elongated at-bats.
Soccer’s the only sport that hasn’t been ruined by commercials. Even NASCAR fell victim to the ads.

90 minutes for soccer plus a 20 minute halftime is much, much better than baseball.

Soccer’s biggest problem is the MLS is garbage. There are a lot of EPL fans but the English style doesn’t jive with the American spirit. Liga MX is what American viewers would actually find interesting. Those guys will be bleeding and the refs won’t call fouls, it is beautiful