Why Canton?

Predetermined as in 2022- NW vs SE & SW vs NE region champ; 2023- NW vs SW & NE vs SE region champ; 2024- NW vs NE & SW vs SE region champ;

So you’re going to predetermine sites when they may be nowhere near the teams participating? Isn’t the travel one of the complaints now?

And again, who is going to work these games on Thanksgiving weekend?

So you’re going to predetermine sites when they may be nowhere near the teams participating? Isn’t the travel one of the complaints now?

Plus, with how teams are spread out it may not work out for the best travel wise for the semi finals.
Sometimes it is much better for the SW region to play the SE region in the semi's, and NW and NE. Just depends on whom wins in the regional finals.

Keep the finals all in one place, Benson stadium is nice and fitting for a championship game. We all just wish it was more centrally located. I think it would lose some luster to play it at a random stadium around the state.

Some mentioned like Piqua/Sidney.

Well, that is all fine and dandy but then we would hear a lot of people biatch that teams played multiple games there already and some are the very first time.

How "fair" would it have been for Coldwater to play in Sidney/Piqua for the second/third time this playoff season, and it be closer for them, vs a Carey or NMS who woulda traveled much further?

I hate the idea of it being in random spots, and the 'neutrality'/fairness would have a totally different set of complaints each year like I just described.

Keep it at one place, like Benson/Massillon/Columbus if they ever want it again, and then we all know what we are dealing with on a yearly basis and dont have to make things up on the fly.

Once again the semi site is not determined but which regional champs play each other. You can then determine the 1 or 2 sites possible from those winners.

Once again the semi site is not determined but which regional champs play each other. You can then determine the 1 or 2 sites possible from those winners.
Thought I was done with the conversation, but now that site selections for State Finals has turned into a Price is Right game I might have to come back . . .

State sites-
Indiana- Lucas Oil Stadium
Michigan- Ford Field
Minnesota- U.S. Bank Stadium
Texas- AT&T Stadium
Nevada- Allegiant Stadium
Louisiana- Split site but 3 games at Superdome
The large majority of states with an NFL dome stadium, hold their playoffs there, even better weather states.

Hey- Historic Crew Stadium in Columbus is now a dome venue!!!! :p

Per today's Columbus Dispatch. I won't post a link since yesterday's news article is behind a paywall, but free free to do your own search.

It's b/c they're not even really Ohioans. That's why they don't want to travel in Ohio. They'd rather go to Indianapolis or Louisville.
I know you intended this to be a put down, but as a proud hillbilly from the 513 I kinda think you are spot on.....We're just thankful they don't have a turf field in Ashtabula, or the OHSAA would probably move the finals up there. Oh, and that's Lou-a-vul not Louie-ville.

I know you intended this to be a put down, but as a proud hillbilly from the 513 I kinda think you are spot on.....We're just thankful they don't have a turf field in Ashtabula, or the OHSAA would probably move the finals up there. Oh, and that's Lou-a-vul not Louie-ville.
The OHSAA once utilized a stadium in West Virginia for a playoff game, that would be a perfect place to host the state championship game (Wheeling Island). Actually the best solution that is fair to everyone involved and equidistant for everyone is the stadium in Anchorage or Aloha Stadium. I mean heck if no one can agree on a site in state, may as well have it out of state.

Hey- Historic Crew Stadium in Columbus is now a dome venue!!!! :p

Per today's Columbus Dispatch. I won't post a link since yesterday's news article is behind a paywall, but free free to do your own search.
I drove by it the other day. There is a dome over it but it looks like just the field is domed, not the stands. I could be wrong but thats what it looked like

So you want to wait until the Sunday before the State Finals to decide where the State Finals will be played?

Wanna take a stab at how many other states do this? :ROFLMAO:
No you have the 4 to 5 already determined, just which divisions are going to which site.

Say you have Cleveland, Canton, & Massillon hosting. Then have Columbus & Cincy hosting others. Those 5 determined preseason with knowing which divisions have which predetermined semi finals matchups.

Last edited:
The OHSAA once utilized a stadium in West Virginia for a playoff game, that would be a perfect place to host the state championship game (Wheeling Island). Actually the best solution that is fair to everyone involved and equidistant for everyone is the stadium in Anchorage or Aloha Stadium. I mean heck if no one can agree on a site in state, may as well have it out of state.
Well hell might as well have them at Ball State then!

Until you have one centrally located, nothing is going to be great. Ohio has too many football towns that can/should host. Not many others have that beside Texas, Florida, and California.
Agree on the first point.
Thing is, I think a State Championship game should deserve a better venue than just another HS, or small college with no significance. I understand, Massill'0'n and Benson are HS/host HS games but they are above and beyond even most of the colleges.

Was just talking to the boy last night about this. I have seen my Almat Mater play in around 25+ state title games and a big part of a state championship is the venue. True, if it was played any place it would be big, but those special venues like 5/3, Huntington, Benson, Mass, The Shoe, etc just elevate the spectacle of it all.

I enjoy getting to and departing the game and running into fans of teams who just, or are about to, watch their teams in the title game. It IS more than just another game and should be treated as such and the venue is part of it.

Sidney/Piqua: Nice, but not special enough. NFL stadiums such as PBS and THe Factory of Sadness in NEO would be special, but if folks have a bitchfest about the drive to Canton then it will be magnified at those venues.

In a perfect world, a Tom Benson-style facility would be more centrally located or even better yet, a domed stadium. When the games were at the Shoe it was nice because Columbus is a helluvalot more enjoyable than Canton and it was in an iconic stadium that the kids can talk about the rest of their lives, but I wont poop on the Tom Benson experience.

Fact of the matter is, absolutely no facility thrown out in any of these threads is better off than Tom Benson.

A lot of people in here have been seduced by the Good Idea Fairy and throw out ideas that just would never happen and/or look much better on paper than they would in reality.

No you have the 4 to 5 already determined, just which divisions are going to which site.

Say you have Cleveland, Canton, & Massillon hosting. Then have Columbus & Cincy hosting others. Those 5 determined preseason with knowing which divisions have which predetermined semi finals matchups.
And just which sites are these going to "host" these games in Cleveland, Massillon, Columbus, and Cincy?

And just which sites are these going to "host" these games in Cleveland, Massillon, Columbus, and Cincy?
and how excited would they be to go through all that work to just get 1-2 games? At least right now the sites/area get the benefit of having all the games and able to make $ from it.

I bet if Benson was to only get one game they would tell the OHSAA to pound sand.

It's obvious you aren't serious about this.
No different than the past few years. Why let NE/EC OH have home turf in all the state finals? 3 of the 5 have hosted. You read earlier I mentioned having 2 separate weekends as well. The other 2 are NFL stadiums which many other states use as their lone venue.