• Tiffin Calvert

Votes: 8 8.0%
  • Antwerp

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • Marion Local

Votes: 3 3.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Congrats to RH and their AD/Coaches for putting together that AAU All-Star team together. TV definitely didn’t play their best game but at least they played hard Goodluck to Sarver wherever he goes on to play football or basketball.

Congrats to RH and their AD/Coaches for putting together that AAU All-Star team together. TV definitely didn’t play their best game but at least they played hard Goodluck to Sarver wherever he goes on to play football or basketball.
Tri-Village got beat at their own game , “recruiting”. They have almost every rural schools’ in the area best player plus a player or two from Richmond and no one but Botkins came within 30 points all year. They have so to speak their own version of an AAU team so they lost to a team that beat them at their own game, on and off the court and who cares if they are an “AAU” team. Congratulations Richmond Heights!

Sounds like sour grapes to me. My advice do better.

Sounds like sour grapes to me. My advice do better.
Always the answer for people who don’t understand why people have problems with schools that pop up after getting new kids transferred in. Always will hurt HS basketball and not sure why people don’t understand that. But hey, guess third times a charm even if it took some more transfers to finally beat a public school team in rural Ohio.

Tri-Village got beat at their own game , “recruiting”. They have almost every rural schools’ in the area best player plus a player or two from Richmond and no one but Botkins came within 30 points all year. They have so to speak their own version of an AAU team so they lost to a team that beat them at their own game, on and off the court and who cares if they are an “AAU” team. Congratulations Richmond Heights!
You may want to go back and do some more research on Tri-Village. They have three transfers on the roster. Wilson Suggs the SG who transferred in elementary. Dalton Delong(PG) who is the worst starter and only plays because the subs don’t have the height that he has. And a Sophomore on JV. Rest of the team was born and raised in New Madison, not a single player from Richmond. The three headed monster of Sarver, Finkbine, and Scantland all have been at TV since Preschool and one even lives next door to the school. They don’t “recruit” they’re just a top D4 program that breeds great teams.

Always the answer for people who don’t understand why people have problems with schools that pop up after getting new kids transferred in. Always will hurt HS basketball and not sure why people don’t understand that. But hey, guess third times a charm even if it took some more transfers to finally beat a public school team in rural Ohio.
Yawn............they're kids. It's high school basketball. Trust me they don't take it as serious as guys lol.

You may want to go back and do some more research on Tri-Village. They have three transfers on the roster. Wilson Suggs the SG who transferred in elementary. Dalton Delong(PG) who is the worst starter and only plays because the subs don’t have the height that he has. And a Sophomore on JV. Rest of the team was born and raised in New Madison, not a single player from Richmond. The three headed monster of Sarver, Finkbine, and Scantland all have been at TV since Preschool and one even lives next door to the school. They don’t “recruit” they’re just a top D4 program that breeds great teams.
They recruit. They are also a top program. Both things can be true at the same time. If you only look at this year's team and not the history you're kidding yourself.

They recruit. They are also a top program. Both things can be true at the same time. If you only look at this year's team and not the history you're kidding yourself.
Just because kids want to go to a good program, don't call it recruiting!!! Look at ALL schools around, it happens. It is called, doing what is best for your kid. I am so sick of everyone throwing around the word, Tage a step back and realize not everyone can be talked into leaving a school, maybe they did it because they wanted too!!

Just because kids want to go to a good program, don't call it recruiting!!! Look at ALL schools around, it happens. It is called, doing what is best for your kid. I am so sick of everyone throwing around the word, Tage a step back and realize not everyone can be talked into leaving a school, maybe they did it because they wanted too!!
You can talk to the community in Lewisburg (Tri County North ) and anyone in the know will readily tell you how their best talent ended up at Tri Village starting about 10 years ago (point guard ). That is the only situation I am intimately familiar with, and will say beyond a doubt it was a a situation where the kid was recruited away from Tri County North. Was it his choice to go to Tri Village? Absolutely. However, without him Tri Village would have been no better than Franklin Monroe or Bethel at the time. Just because a family decides it's the best thing for their kid does not mean it does not deplete and discourage the programs they leave behind, or that they were not encouraged by Tri Village parents, fellow athletes or coaches to transfer in the hope of winning a conference, district or state title.

Building a program will nearly always end in recruitment in todays athletics. Kids move around, they find teams they want to play for, and they make the switch after taking the bait. I'm not blaming families for doing it, as it is their right to decide how much to value a long tournament run and traveling a half hour to school each day vs a short tournament run and riding the bus to their local school.

Some coaches are more crafty about recruitment than others. There was one CCC coach back around 2012 who attended open gyms at his school and if he found an athlete at the open gym he was interested in would actually put the kid through a skills workout just to see how much promise there was in the kid. In the end his openly aggressive approach to recruiting cost him his job.

I personally am of the opinion all private schools and any public school that has open enrollment are by the very definition recuiting kids to come to their school for any of a myriad of reasons.

Well of course they wanted to go there....ol' Sags isn't kidnapping them and bringing them there. Lol. That doesn't mean it's still not recruiting though. Sure transfers happen at a lot of places these days. I find no fault with families that change schools for whatever the reason but let's call it what it is...

i've watched 15 years of IVC basketball, the team i saw at the field house last week would beat most IVC shools with the few exception years of great teams by 25 night in and night out. but one game isn't much of a gauge. And of course i haven't seen Hiland play so my opine is pretty much irrelevant. if you made me place a wager based on seeing 1 game and years of league play, RH pulls away quickly in the 3rd qtr.
nailed it.

What would happen if schools "recruited" for academic achievements instead of athletics... higher test scores, higher district report card scores, higher post secondary completion...

That would be a fun forum page to argue about. Topic that mattered and would make our country stronger as a whole.

What would happen if schools "recruited" for academic achievements instead of athletics... higher test scores, higher district report card scores, higher post secondary completion...

That would be a fun forum page to argue about. Topic that mattered and would make our country stronger as a whole.

That already is happening. Yellow Springs has sucked the brain power out of surrounding schools to the point one year they had either 6 or 7 national merit scholars. Another private school in the Dayton area pays pretty good in financial aid according to their website a few years back if your kid possessed exceptional talent in academics, art, music OR ATHLETICS.

With all the new money the state is getting ready to throw at families private schools are trying to figure out how to best lure the recipients of these funds to their school. One such small private school has internally set a goal of 40 new students per year to offset large cost increases in basic essentials such as energy, labor and texts.

But if it were intellectual giftedness people were intrested in seeing, the national spelling B would be required viewing in prime time and held each year at the Rose Bowl. We are in no danger of that becoming reality.

What's the history?
Some good players that live outside the school district. Of the top of my head I remember players from tri-county north, Eaton, twin valley, and an Indiana player. I am sure I am missing people.

Can't say I blame them...tri-village is a better spot than any of those other places for basketball. As they say, it is what it is.

"They have almost every rural schools’ in the area best player plus a player or two from Richmond and no one but Botkins came within 30 points all year"
What? Who is from Richmond? And also.. did you do any research into the players on this team? I'm genuinely confused.

Some good players that live outside the school district. Of the top of my head I remember players from tri-county north, Eaton, twin valley, and an Indiana player. I am sure I am missing people.

Can't say I blame them...tri-village is a better spot than any of those other places for basketball. As they say, it is what it is.
Next year alone, TV will have 6 players in the their high school boys/girls program that live in the Twin Valley South school district alone. That's a 30 min drive from West Alexandria to TV high school. That's pretty crazy if you ask me. Given I counted the Sagaster kids in that, and they've never went to TVS, but it's still where they live...