Votes: 19 19.0%
  • Marion Local

Votes: 3 3.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Final 4 set 3/19
Richmond Heights vs Berlin Hiland 10:45 AM
New Madison Tri-Village vs Antwerp 2:00 PM

Richmond Heights beat final 4 D1 St. Ed’s without their best player, good luck to Hiland. Richmond Hts is a ridiculous D4 team.

Last edited:
Tri-Village By10 Against Against Antwerp Berlin hiland By 5 Against Richmond hts Tri-Village State Champs

I like hiland to they don’t give up or get rattled. They are well prepared to play Richmond heights they can out rebound anyone just wish they could shoot foul shots better.
I watched Richmond heights last Friday, and to be fair i haven't seen Hiland play. but i'm not thinking they have a shot at outrebounding RH.

You might be surprised with hiland and there rebounding they have out rebounded everybody and it don’t matter how big they are. Hiland is physical we have a senior shelter that is a beast and a 6-6 sophomore that is good. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if we upset them we beat a very good Newark catholic team that went into two overtimes. We are very well prepared and we grind and don’t give up.

You might be surprised with hiland and there rebounding they have out rebounded everybody and it don’t matter how big they are. Hiland is physical we have a senior shelter that is a beast and a 6-6 sophomore that is good. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if we upset them we beat a very good Newark catholic team that went into two overtimes. We are very well prepared and we grind and don’t give up.
I’m rooting for you guys.

Do you know if Richmond heights have a bench or do they just play 5 players ? We take a lot of charges so hoping to get the big guy in foul trouble.

We did already beat Richmond heights twice both in the regionals at canton field house. Segar hit a game winning three and one other time we beat them so bad that there student section was threatening to be are student’s up.

Do you know if Richmond heights have a bench or do they just play 5 players ? We take a lot of charges so hoping to get the big guy in foul trouble.

They have a two man bench, and their sixth man is a good player.

The big guy sometimes hooks the defender when doing a spin move to the basket (and sometimes gets called for it). He does his spin move on the left side of the lane and spins right.

See 2:25 of this video, he was actually called for a foul on this play

He also shuffles his feet before he dunks, rarely gets called for travelling.

I saw that he might get frustrated with are defensive we have to big players that are wide body that could be football players and we do take a lot of charges to.

I might be. good luck! I watched St Thomas play all year, and they are comparable to a good IVC team, St Thomas played hard and got out played by brute force alone. I watched a 6'7" big man who dunks off the block very easily get man handled who has man handled the opposing big men all year. you better develop a plan to get their big in foul trouble, otherwise, he's going to have his way. there's 2 players off the bench that are very good. one is quick as a cat and will cause havoc on defense, the other came into the game after the legs got some miles on them and the offense seemed to run through his fresh legs as a game plan. they have a stud who is smooth as silk and doesn't try to do to much, he seems very unselfish but i got the sense that if the game got close, he'd show ya who he really is. just my 2 cents.

It should be interesting game I am sure are coach will have a game plan. I am pretty sure we played at Thomas Aquinas last year at hiland at the holiday showcase during the whu hung virus and we beat them pretty easy and we were not nearly as good last year as shelter was hurt and are other senior from last year was out to. I think if we would of had both of the players last year we would of had a shot to win last year. I am just glad we have a shot this year not a big shot but a shot

We did already beat Richmond heights twice both in the regionals at canton field house. Segar hit a game winning three and one other time we beat them so bad that there student section was threatening to be are student’s up.
Those wins were against Richmond Heights when they were still a community based D4 team. Things changed dramatically when they became a Nike team. Other than the freshmen, all of their rotation players started high school somewhere else. Mark Schlabach is a great coach who has led his teams to many impressive wins. I have seen both teams play multiple times this year. This would be the most impressive win of Schlabach's career if he pulled it off. I am saying Richmond Heights by 15+. Newark Catholic is no comparison to Richmond Heights this year.

Not sure what that has to do with Richmond Heights of present day.. they’re a totally different team..

I want to know if Richmond heights is so good how did they loose last year ? I also went back and saw hiland did beat st Thomas by 11 at the showcase last year and that team was not that good. How can a public school be a Nike team? That should be illegal and they should be disqualified if that is so.

I want to know if Richmond heights is so good how did they loose last year ? I also went back and saw hiland did beat st Thomas by 11 at the showcase last year and that team was not that good. How can a public school be a Nike team? That should be illegal and they should be disqualified if that is so.
Are you guys that scared to play them?

Nope we are not afraid at all that I know of I am just a fan I have no idea what the team thinks I am not afraid I am excited. It just seams everyone is saying we are going to get beat by 20 I don’t think that will happen it will be a competitive game.

Without having seen RH, are they at all similar to the 2018 version of Cornerstone Christian that beat the Hawks in a semi-final? That game was pretty competitive.

I was at that game we could of beat them if we hit are threes down the stretch we had a run at them. This years team for hiland is much better and have much better shooters.

Well i know one of there best players got hurt and he don't play a lot Berlin highland will beat them. RH can't play six players in a state game richmond heights gets beat by 5

Hiland plays scrappy hard defense and have been battle tested all tournament starting back in the sectional final and district semis with 2 OT wins in a row but I still say Richmond by 8-12

Those wins were against Richmond Heights when they were still a community based D4 team. Things changed dramatically when they became a Nike team. Other than the freshmen, all of their rotation players started high school somewhere else. Mark Schlabach is a great coach who has led his teams to many impressive wins. I have seen both teams play multiple times this year. This would be the most impressive win of Schlabach's career if he pulled it off. I am saying Richmond Heights by 15+. Newark Catholic is no comparison to Richmond Heights this y

Hiland plays scrappy hard defense and have been battle tested all tournament starting back in the sectional final and district semis with 2 OT wins in a row but I still say Richmond by 8-12
i've watched 15 years of IVC basketball, the team i saw at the field house last week would beat most IVC shools with the few exception years of great teams by 25 night in and night out. but one game isn't much of a gauge. And of course i haven't seen Hiland play so my opine is pretty much irrelevant. if you made me place a wager based on seeing 1 game and years of league play, RH pulls away quickly in the 3rd qtr.

Without having seen RH, are they at all similar to the 2018 version of Cornerstone Christian that beat the Hawks in a semi-final? That game was pretty competitive.

From video I think this Richmond Heights team is better than 2018 Cornerstone. Bothwell was special for Corrnerstone, but Richmond Heights looks like they have a couple guys close to or at his level.

To be fair the only two games I watched Cornerstone play in 2018 were losses to D3 Cardinals Stritch that did not get out of the district. Stritch outscored Cornerstone by 20+ in the second half. The other was the the Marion Local State Championship game.

Side note: Looks like Bothwell would be a great candidate for a grad transfer from Furman. Averaged 16 PPG including scoring 30 on Louisville.

As usual Richmond Heights is not your usual D 4 small school team. Unfortunately those days are long gone and won't be returning. Oh an occasional upset but really...

The OT games have got to give Hiland a boost. They have to feel like they are playing with house money at this point. They can play loose. RH is "supposed" to win, and that can play with their heads. They lost last year, and if it's a close game, then I can easily see those memories creeping back into young psyches. IMO, if RH wins, it'll be by a wide margin. If it's a close game, I think Hiland wins.

Berlin Hiland brought in the transfer from Strasburg.. without him they are not winning back to back titles 10 plus years ago ..

so its not just Richmond Heights... many a schools are doing it ...
And I don't want to hear the Hiland people justify it .. he came in just like a Richmond Hts transfer comes in .. to win games... no different
Yeah, Hiland had no size or talent from their local kids 10 years ago. The Sburg transfer made the entire difference. Everyone knows that.

Interesting tho, that Hiland coach has taken his local band of runts and misfits to the final four 3 of the last 4 years. They need to up the recruiting budget.

My son played for that Hiland coach many moons ago. I enjoyed watching how he prepared the players and put together a gameplan. The preparation is very detailed and high-end. There were a few games where the other team was too big and too talented - Dayton Dunbar comes to mind - but coach always has them supremely prepared, takes something away, and gives them a chance if they execute.

As far as being scared to play anyone, that doesn't happen, but there are certain realities that come into play. Lol.

Garaway played St Joe's at state a few years back. Similar type of match up as Hiland-Richmond Hts. Garaway had no chance but no one told the Pirate players. So, I prefer to watch the game and see what happens. Sometimes it's surprising.

Last edited: