• Beechwood

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lake Catholic

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lutheran East

Votes: 33 29.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What a game. OG is amazing. All their players are from the school district. No open enroll players, no move ins. It's amazing how they compete at a high level year in and year out. Always end up playing and competing with big city, private or controlled enrollment publics. Plus they bring 3,000 plus fans to the games to keep the OHSAA finacially alive.

What a game. OG is amazing. All their players are from the school district. No open enroll players, no move ins. It's amazing how they compete at a high level year in and year out. Always end up playing and competing with big city, private or controlled enrollment publics. Plus they bring 3,000 plus fans to the games to keep the OHSAA finacially alive.
Hard to know if they have move ins.

Another of teams do it. I know this. There needs to be a shot clock. It ruins the game when just holding the ball at half court. No one is whining. But if you think I am and want me to stop. Come stop me.
Another of teams do it. I know this. There needs to be a shot clock. It ruins the game when just holding the ball at half court. No one is whining. But if you think I am and want me to stop. Come stop me
Another of teams do it. I know this. There needs to be a shot clock. It ruins the game when just holding the ball at half court. No one is whining. But if you think I am and want me to stop. Come stop me.
Ok.. proceed to whine. We will listen.

I remember when an overtime was three minutes and anything beyond that was sudden death with the first team to score being the winner. The 1958 big school state championship was decided that way. After a scoreless first overtime, Cleveland East Tech defeated Columbus North, 50-48, 34 seconds into the second overtime after a North turnover. The OHSAA got rid of the sudden death rule after that game.

😂 You are one of those guys
631E4255-6B61-417E-B797-B3CB83C2797E.jpeg

I remember when an overtime was three minutes and anything beyond that was sudden death with the first team to score being the winner. The 1958 big school state championship was decided that way. After a scoreless first overtime, Cleveland East Tech defeated Columbus North, 50-48, 34 seconds into the second overtime after a North turnover. The OHSAA got rid of the sudden death rule after that game.
I've seen Football and Basketball games where sudden death did not mean Overtime.:p

Ottawa-glandorf just showed why there should be a shot clock in high school basketball. Playing scared at the end by holding ball for almost a whole minute. Very pathetic and scared way to play.
Or OG just showed they were smart and used rules to their benefit,

I spent a few hours on the couch watching games (NCAA) yesterday and came away even more convinced there should not ever be a shot clock for high school basketball, especially D3 and D4 size schools.

When your offense primarily goes through two or three players, late in the shot clock the defense can guard those two or three players and really use the clock as another defender. Also, the best team will only win by wider margins if there are more possessions per game.

When you can recruit five positions that can score nearly equally a shot clock is one thing, but when scoring centers on a couple key players, that wreaks havoc on a teams offense.

I personally don’t care for “stall ball” but recognize it is a tool for teams with less talent or bench depth.

That being said, I don’t see it as meaning teams will run up the score. I see it as the opportunity for the bench kids to get playing time. If a team is superior and the outcome is no longer in doubt, bring in the other players.

Lastly, I’d like to see ohsaa try a shot clock in Division 1 only. See how it goes. Then maybe D2. Leave 3 & 4 as it is.

I personally don’t care for “stall ball” but recognize it is a tool for teams with less talent or bench depth.

That being said, I don’t see it as meaning teams will run up the score. I see it as the opportunity for the bench kids to get playing time. If a team is superior and the outcome is no longer in doubt, bring in the other players.

Lastly, I’d like to see ohsaa try a shot clock in Division 1 only. See how it goes. Then maybe D2. Leave 3 & 4 as it is.
I could see that as a viable option, though it would be a slippery slope.

Gee, and all this time I thought the main object of a basketball game was to win, not to give the bench kids more playing time.

Where in my post does it say it isn’t? I did say when the win is assured give the bench players a chance to play.
From a coaches perspective, it is hard to instill in kids you fight every possession to the end if you begin to wave the flag of surrender when you fall behind. The very act of substituting the bench in signals to the players the hope of winning is over. That sets a terrible president for never giving up and never quit attitude.

I spent five years as an assistant to a major D1 player who coached a significantly impactful AAU team. The lessons I learned with him about never signaling to the kids that "they were in over their heads" may be the most significant lesson I have learned in life to this point. It was amazing by year five how those kids bought into the idea of never giving up, we won several games I would have said were not possible and out of reach, which is part of why I never achieved my greatest potential as a player. The idea of subbing in once the game is out of hand is death to the competitive mindset that says never give up. It also signals to the starters you doubt they can beat this team.

Most team oriented players understand their role on a team and getting better to play is done in practice or summer league out of season.

He would play the best set of five players every possession regardless of the score, and the players bought into the system.

That would theoretically work if you only play in your division all year. What happens when a D2 plays a D1 in the regular season? Or a smaller D1 school is in a league with all D2's so they don't use a shot clock in the regular season, they supposed to change the way they play come tournament time?

Sorry, the competitive balance records kids that live outside the district but attend schools. IF someone moves into town to work at Whirlpool their kids can play if they are good enough.
Every kid on the OG roster has been in the district since kindergarten lol. The last "move ins" that OG had were the Pollitz twins. They "moved in" in 3rd grade when their dad, who was a minister, took over at a church in town.

Sorry, the competitive balance records kids that live outside the district but attend schools. IF someone moves into town to work at Whirlpool their kids can play if they are good enough.
Really? You’re reaching a lot for that conspiracy theory. That community is such a bubble, that even if a family would move in & a kid was some sort of above average athlete, the kid still probably not get much playing time cause their grandparents weren’t from that county. Lol

From a coaches perspective, it is hard to instill in kids you fight every possession to the end if you begin to wave the flag of surrender when you fall behind. The very act of substituting the bench in signals to the players the hope of winning is over. That sets a terrible president for never giving up and never quit attitude.

I spent five years as an assistant to a major D1 player who coached a significantly impactful AAU team. The lessons I learned with him about never signaling to the kids that "they were in over their heads" may be the most significant lesson I have learned in life to this point. It was amazing by year five how those kids bought into the idea of never giving up, we won several games I would have said were not possible and out of reach, which is part of why I never achieved my greatest potential as a player. The idea of subbing in once the game is out of hand is death to the competitive mindset that says never give up. It also signals to the starters you doubt they can beat this team.

Most team oriented players understand their role on a team and getting better to play is done in practice or summer league out of season.

He would play the best set of five players every possession regardless of the score, and the players bought into the system.

I never said the losing team should sub in the bench. I wouldn’t expect them to. So somewhere along the line you missed that. I always admired Coach Boarman as STVM football coach. When the game was in hand he’d always bring in new players because he didn’t believe in running up the score and was happy to five them game minutes.

I understand players knowing and playing their roles. In close games they realize they most likely will not see the court.

Good discussion.

That would theoretically work if you only play in your division all year. What happens when a D2 plays a D1 in the regular season? Or a smaller D1 school is in a league with all D2's so they don't use a shot clock in the regular season, they supposed to change the way they play come tournament time?

A “wrinkle” that would need worked out. Not knowing a solution at this point, it’s similar to MLB with the DH in cross league play. I know, a stretch.