• Cinc. Elder

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • Cinc. Princeton

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • Fairfield

Votes: 9 5.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hoban run is a great story. Known for football, Hoban basketball has quietly asserted itself as one of the better programs in the state. Head coach TK Griffith played in the 89' state championship team for Hoban and is now coaching his son in the final 4. What a thrill for TK and the entire Hoban family.

It’s a shame these two teams have to meet up in the semi round. IMO they are the strongest two in the four team field.
Which pretty much SCREAMs they'll lose to the other bracket. Come-on, read the scripts, lol.

SJJ finishing fifth in a fairly weak conference, from an area that's fairly weak recently in basketball can't really claim a "story," let alone a great story. And I'm not seeing any Hoban kids being tauted as greatest ever on the Mr. Basketball threads so I suspect they have a lot of system grown, tough gritty Akron kids. Neither team seems constructed to out-athlete the other. Akron has maybe had a year of tougher competition. We'll see who executes their plans the best and how that washes out in the state final.

Game at a time.

Last edited:
Which pretty much SCREAMs they'll lose to the other bracket. Come-on, read the scripts, lol.

SJJ finishing fifth in a fairly weak conference, from an area that's fairly weak recently in basketball can't really claim a "story," let alone a great story. And I'm not seeing any Hoban kids being taughted as greatest ever on the Mr. Basketball threads so I suspect they have a lot of system grown, tough gritty Akron kids. Neither team seems constructed to out-athlete the other. Akron has maybe had a year of tougher competition. We'll see who executes their plans the best and how that washes out in the state final.

Game at a time.
Hoban had a 2 good guards, 1 with D1 offers and another D2-D3 level. They have sone height which they haven't had in the past and that is the difference. 6-8 freshman center that looks like an NFL tight end and can shoot a 3, 6-7 forward (coaches son) and 2-3 good CYO shooters. TK also one of the better coaches in the state that doesn't get the recognition being 10 minutes away from Rival state Power St V. Best of luck

SJJ finishing fifth in a fairly weak conference, from an area that's fairly weak recently in basketball can't really claim a "story," let alone a great story. And I'm not seeing any Hoban kids being tauted as greatest ever on the Mr. Basketball threads so I suspect they have a lot of system grown, tough gritty Akron kids. Neither team seems constructed to out-athlete the other. Akron has maybe had a year of tougher competition. We'll see who executes their plans the best and how that washes out in the state final.

Game at a time.

Not following your train of thought. I‘m saying I think the Centerville and Pickerington teams are both better than SJJ and AH.

Last edited:
Not following your train of thought. I‘m saying I think the Centerville and Pickerington teams are both better than SJJ and AH.
Being a Akron St V supporter you couldn't pull for another Akron team to win right? Especially since it's Akron Hoban. That would be a nightmare scenario for the Irish. Better cancel next years game.

Being an Akron St V supporter you couldn't pull for another Akron team to win right? Especially since it's Akron Hoban. That would be a nightmare scenario for the Irish. Better cancel next years game.
Stop with the rhetoric around canceling games when Hoban did the same thing in basketball and football. Where were you then with the sarcasm and criticism? Right…no where to be found.

Good luck to the Knights.

Hoban had a 2 good guards, 1 with D1 offers and another D2-D3 level. They have sone height which they haven't had in the past and that is the difference. 6-8 freshman center that looks like an NFL tight end and can shoot a 3, 6-7 forward (coaches son) and 2-3 good CYO shooters. TK also one of the better coaches in the state that doesn't get the recognition being 10 minutes away from Rival state Power St V. Best of luck

SJJ should be able to match in the back court. I'm not sure they have any tight ends playing, lol. I don't know if their interior options can match what you describe.

It wasn't "train of thought." It was reading the script of the movie, where everyone thinks this team or that team is far superior but the game doesn't work out that way. I agree, on paper your thoughts are probably right. Hoban looked to me a solid team from the ONE game (ST Ed) I saw. I've seen those type teams win the championship over much more talented, even good and talented. SJJ is the mystery because they're not from a particularly good league, didn't do particularly well in that league but did show on any particular night, they could compete.

S
It wasn't "train of thought." It was reading the script of the movie, where everyone thinks this team or that team is far superior but the game doesn't work out that way.
St. John’s has seen this first hand several times, most notably vs. Hamilton in the state title game in 2004. This is SJJ’s 7th final 4 in school history, have to think they break through eventually…

So what? This happens all the time in all sports, should OHSAA rig the tourney games just because you want what you think are the best 2 teams in D1 to play each other in the finals?

Being a Akron St V supporter you couldn't pull for another Akron team to win right? Especially since it's Akron Hoban. That would be a nightmare scenario for the Irish. Better cancel next years game.
My God, you are touchy! Also, he never said he was or wasn't rooting for Hoban. He merely stated that in his opinion (an opinion pretty widely held, btw) is that the 2 best teams left standing are Centerville and Pick Central. In fact, they are very likely the 2 best teams in the State, period. If I had to list the remaining 4 teams, I'd list, in order, Centerville, Pick Central, Hoban and St. John's (largely because I don't know a heckuva a lot about St. John's) That doesn't mean the Centerville/Pick Central winner will waltz to the title. We've seen too many times where one semifinal is dubbed the "de facto state title game", only to see the winner of that game lose in the actual final! Still, if Hoban defeats St. John's, they will definitely be the underdog against whomever wins between Centerville. Pick Central. That doesn't mean that, as STVM fans, we can't root for other Akron teams to win. In fact, I'd LOVE to see Buchtel come home with the D2 title!!! ;) :banana:

Stop with the rhetoric around canceling games when Hoban did the same thing in basketball and football. Where were you then with the sarcasm and criticism? Right…no where to be found.

Good luck to the Knights.
I wasn't around when they cancelled basketball. Didn't know they cancelled football? And yes I was being sarcastic.

My God, you are touchy! Also, he never said he was or wasn't rooting for Hoban. He merely stated that in his opinion (an opinion pretty widely held, btw) is that the 2 best teams left standing are Centerville and Pick Central. In fact, they are very likely the 2 best teams in the State, period. If I had to list the remaining 4 teams, I'd list, in order, Centerville, Pick Central, Hoban and St. John's (largely because I don't know a heckuva a lot about St. John's) That doesn't mean the Centerville/Pick Central winner will waltz to the title. We've seen too many times where one semifinal is dubbed the "de facto state title game", only to see the winner of that game lose in the actual final! Still, if Hoban defeats St. John's, they will definitely be the underdog against whomever wins between Centerville. Pick Central. That doesn't mean that, as STVM fans, we can't root for other Akron teams to win. In fact, I'd LOVE to see Buchtel come home with the D2 title!!! ;) :banana:
It was sarcasm. Talk about touchy! I am sure the other two teams in Columbus are probably more talented and used to being in these big games while Hoban is not. I hope Buchtel wins as well as Richmond Heights. I will root for any NE Ohio team over others.

It wasn't "train of thought." It was reading the script of the movie, where everyone thinks this team or that team is far superior but the game doesn't work out that way. I agree, on paper your thoughts are probably right. Hoban looked to me a solid team from the ONE game (ST Ed) I saw. I've seen those type teams win the championship over much more talented, even good and talented. SJJ is the mystery because they're not from a particularly good league, didn't do particularly well in that league but did show on any particular night, they could compete.

I thought this was a discussion board. If I thought my opinion was going to ruffle your feathers I would have posted in the Debate forum. Take a chill pill and let your BP ease. No need to get so intense.

I thought this was a discussion board. If I thought my opinion was going to ruffle your feathers I would have posted in the Debate forum. Take a chill pill and let your BP ease. No need to get so intense.
I think you're misreading something. Got something in your head that's not being said. I wasn't disputing your interpretation of the skill sets at all. I even said I agreed with you. If that indicates to you someone's feathers are ruffled, you might have a different definition of that than most people.

S

St. John’s has seen this first hand several times, most notably vs. Hamilton in the state title game in 2004. This is SJJ’s 7th final 4 in school history, have to think they break through eventually…
Exactly the game I had in mind. SJJ came in with three high DI talents and no jokes at the other positions and lost to a bunch of baseball players. A team of solid athletes with something other than basketball in their futures. Other than that game? I don't recall them losing to anyone too far below their station. I'd have to go back and look, refresh my memory.

Exactly the game I had in mind. SJJ came in with three high DI talents and no jokes at the other positions and lost to a bunch of baseball players. A team of solid athletes with something other than basketball in their futures. Other than that game? I don't recall them losing to anyone too far below their station. I'd have to go back and look, refresh my memory.
How mad are you that SJJ mad the final 4?

It was sarcasm. Talk about touchy! I am sure the other two teams in Columbus are probably more talented and used to being in these big games while Hoban is not. I hope Buchtel wins as well as Richmond Heights. I will root for any NE Ohio team over others.
It’s nice to see Hoban in the final 4.

This will set the tone for all Hoban sports for 2023 💯