WHo Will BE THE NATIONAL PRESEASON TOP 10!

I doubt MNW will have the talent that Lakeland brought to the Herbie last year (8 or so kids to Florida alone?). And let's face it, Lakeland played a team that graduated zero D1 recruits (though 3 or 4 juniors might make it) and the game could have gone either way. And X was just the 3rd best team (at most) in Ohio D1 last year.

So MNW:

- To play in Texas
- To play against an almost definitely better coached team
- To play against what I'd bet is a more disciplined team also
- Will probably play with less talent overall than Lakeland had
- Will face a team that probably has more talent than X had last year

Smart money is on SLC.

How can you down play MNW's talent. I would bet they are more talented than Lakeland of last year or at least equal. I believe they have like 8 guys commited to Miami.
I do think that Lakeland has better coaching than MNW however.
I would have a lot of respect in Florida ball if MNW came to TX and beat SLC. I think it is highly unlikely though.

We did have a TX first round flame out travel to FL and beat their team that went to the semi-finals so it would just be payback.

After watching Lakeland, I figured they had better coaching than maybe one team in the country.

I just didn't know who that one team was.

Ridge,

You may be correct. I have been aware that MNW has some very high-profile kids. But I was not aware that that they could stack up numbers of BCS-level recruits with Lakeland '06. I am not sure where Lakeland actually finished, but I believe they were supposed to have double-digits in terms of BCS/D1A-type recruits (I know of at least 9, but that's from awhile ago).

Most Ridiculous post of the Day.

SLC's offense will not be best in TX history. They do not have the receiving corp they had in 2005. It was basically the Blake Cantu show last year and the other leading receiver was a senior.

Second

Because SLC's defense is unproven does not mean it will be suspect. I would bet they will be pretty darn good.

Third, SLC is not 78-1 in 5A from having the most talent in TX the past 4 years...Playing teams with more D1 athletes is nothing new to them.

SLC will roll in this game.

RidgePride-You seem to have an issue with whatever I say. I am not certain I understand, but I'm game.

Do you mind if I take your arguement about the defense I bolded up top?

You state the receiving corps will not be as good as they were in '05.

Just because they return 75% of their recieving yards and nearly 80% of their recieving TD's doesn't mean they are suspect.

Just for those playing along at home, this offense which averaged over 500 ypg and scored more than SIX TD's a game on average and was held to less than 30 points once in 16 games, and less than 40 only five times last year is lonsing ONE OL and ONE WR and that's it.

I like to think I call them like I see them, and I see the QB, the RB, 3/4 WRs, and 4/5 OLs will be better than last year.

Do they have to rebiuld the OL? Nope
What about the Running game? In tact with two 1000+ yard rushers coming back?
What about the WR's? You seem to think they will be the weak point. I'd like to see a team that has returns over:
210+ receptions
3300+ yards
40+ TD's

That should be pretty easy apparenlty.

The defense. Find me a team that SLC has played that is the returning champion in their state's biggest classification, that has three National top 100 players, and in addition a top 10 QB in the Nation, and and OL that will rank in the top 15 in the Nation as well.

I cannot think of any.

I know SLC fans like to point to their improved defense. I think the '06 version was much improved, but also was somewhat of a paper tiger. The teams that helped them acheive some of those stats were not offensive juggernauts, especially on the ground.

Call me crazy, but I don't like the NW offense SLC defense matchup. They lose many starters, and by every account I have read, some of the biggest leaders on the team.

Combine that with having just announced a DC last week, and forgive me if I take NW in that matchup.

One final question, what is your problem with me? I don't quite get it.

We did have a TX first round flame out travel to FL and beat their team that went to the semi-finals so it would just be payback.

Jsut to clarify, that first round flame out was ranked #4 in the state at the end of the season going into the playoffs. Lamar was hardly the patsy you want people to believe they were. In fact they beat Duncanville in the last game of the season to win the District title, and Duncanville won the state championship that year. I know it does not help your arguement, but the truth is the truth.

You may also want to rechck your info regarding when Rutherford lost in the playoffs that year. (Hint it was not the semifinals)

To the other posters, RP knows both of these things, but again, it does not seem to help the arguement.

Most Ridiculous post of the Day.

SLC will roll in this game.

Proposal.

Since you are so confident that SLC will "roll".

You give me NW and 28 points. We could probably trust SLCDad if he is willing.

We both send him $100, that he holds. After the game if SLC wins by 28+, you get the $$$, if not he sends the $$$ to me.

Deal? Let me know.

Pied, I'm not reading Consumerman's posts any more. He is marked as "ignore" in my Yappi settings. Smart move on my part. (Hopefully, he is not reading my posts either, like he said, because I have no desire to post with a guy like that.)

Based on the responses I'm seeing from you and Bordertown it appears Consumerman is still up to his ongoing nasty-ness. He rarely added any original thoughts of his own, but just criticized other posters. I don't remember the last time he posted anything original on his own.

I know Tre Newton is a very fine young man. Even the radio comentators have commented on that. Tre is a descent student and he is very respectful of teachers and coaches. My daughter knows him a little bit and she says he is a nice guy. He is a credit to his parents. It was uncalled for when Consumerman called him a drug "addict like is father" (to quote Consumerman). That was especially nasty. I've been a Tre Newton fan since he was in 9th grade for both his on field and off field actions.

I also know that his dad, Nate, has been trying to get past the huge mistakes he made in the past. For many years Nate has been trying to be a good person and correct the mistakes he made. I'm not a Nate Newton fan (he WAS a terrific football player) but I have to give him credit for doing his best to turn his life around. It's unfortunate that some people who know very little about him still feel the need to criticize him. Maybe it makes them feel better about themselves.

I don't know Tre Newton's mom personally, but I have seen her at football games. She appears to be a very nice person. She is tall and thin and looks to be athletic. Tre seems to have very good athletic genes.

Nice post SLCDAD no one has the right to judge someone on there past mistakes , but God. If Mr. Newton has put his past behind then people need to bury his past mistakes. Thanks for sharing positive things with us about the Newton Family SLCDad.

RidgePride-You seem to have an issue with whatever I say. I am not certain I understand, but I'm game.

Do you mind if I take your arguement about the defense I bolded up top?

You state the receiving corps will not be as good as they were in '05.

Just because they return 75% of their recieving yards and nearly 80% of their recieving TD's doesn't mean they are suspect.

Just for those playing along at home, this offense which averaged over 500 ypg and scored more than SIX TD's a game on average and was held to less than 30 points once in 16 games, and less than 40 only five times last year is lonsing ONE OL and ONE WR and that's it.

I like to think I call them like I see them, and I see the QB, the RB, 3/4 WRs, and 4/5 OLs will be better than last year.

Do they have to rebiuld the OL? Nope
What about the Running game? In tact with two 1000+ yard rushers coming back?
What about the WR's? You seem to think they will be the weak point. I'd like to see a team that has returns over:
210+ receptions
3300+ yards
40+ TD's

That should be pretty easy apparenlty.

The defense. Find me a team that SLC has played that is the returning champion in their state's biggest classification, that has three National top 100 players, and in addition a top 10 QB in the Nation, and and OL that will rank in the top 15 in the Nation as well.

I cannot think of any.

I know SLC fans like to point to their improved defense. I think the '06 version was much improved, but also was somewhat of a paper tiger. The teams that helped them acheive some of those stats were not offensive juggernauts, especially on the ground.

Call me crazy, but I don't like the NW offense SLC defense matchup. They lose many starters, and by every account I have read, some of the biggest leaders on the team.

Combine that with having just announced a DC last week, and forgive me if I take NW in that matchup.

One final question, what is your problem with me? I don't quite get it.

Pied, a couple of points:

You said SLC's defense will be "suspect." I understand what you are saying but I think you chose the wrong word. We all have a question about SLC's 2007 defense but we really don't know that they will be "suspect." With the talent that MNW has, they could make good defenses look bad. SLC has a terrific feeder system. They have lots of defensive underclassmen that are experienced. The subs got lots of experience and some of the best "reserves" were on the JV. SLC rebuilt most of their defense in 2006 (and all of their offense except Tre) with very good results. I expect the same for the defense in 2007, but I, like you, think it's a question mark.

Regarding SLC's returning starters it's a little confusing. SLC had 12 guys that started during the season. (Chris Brainard began starting mid season or so). Out of those 12 guys, 9 are returning. SLC loses two offensive lineman (I think it's both guys on the right side) and a WR.

Proposal.

We both send him $100, that he holds. After the game if SLC wins by 28+, you get the $$$, if not he sends the $$$ to me.

Deal? Let me know.

What makes you think you can trust me? :D :D

If Ridge takes the bet, I'll hold the money.

Proposal.

Deal? Let me know.

That's a stupid proposal.

I would not wager my money on a high school game that has so many unpredictable elements.
If SLC were to lose, I would already be pissed so losing money would add injury to insult.

How about a ban from posting bet? 1 week for every point your team loses by.
If MNW wins I hope it makes you happy...
I can assure you that if SLC wins, I would not want to hear from a traitor for quite awhile.

Last edited:
Jsut to clarify, that first round flame out was ranked #4 in the state at the end of the season going into the playoffs. Lamar was hardly the patsy you want people to believe they were. In fact they beat Duncanville in the last game of the season to win the District title, and Duncanville won the state championship that year. I know it does not help your arguement, but the truth is the truth.

You may also want to rechck your info regarding when Rutherford lost in the playoffs that year. (Hint it was not the semifinals)

To the other posters, RP knows both of these things, but again, it does not seem to help the arguement.

Thanks for your clarification MR. PROTECTOR OF ALL THINGS TRUE

Did consumerchild get banned yet?

Last edited:
What makes you think you can trust me? :D :D

If Ridge takes the bet, I'll hold the money.

We probably do not live far from each other. I live 5 minutes from SLC High School right off of Southlake Carroll Blvd...In a fairly large house I may add.

Last edited:
That's a stupid proposal.

I would not wager my money on a high school game that has so many unpredictable elements.
If SLC were to lose, I would already be pissed so losing money would add injury to insult.

How about a ban from posting bet? 1 week for every point your team loses by.
If MNW wins I hope it makes you happy...
I can assure you that if SLC wins, I would not want to hear from a traitor for quite awhile.

OK, so I am clear, it is OK to spew all over the place that you are confident that SLC will "roll" MNW that's allright.

When asked to back those claims up with something tangible, it is stupid.

I wouldn't call it stupid, I'd call it weak, but whatever.

You give me 27.5 points and MNW. If SLC loses or wins by less than 28 you don't post here/TexasHSfootball/5ATexasfootball. If SLC wins by more than 28 I'll folllwo the same instrcustions.

I'd say give it a month. Does that work?

I would also like you to address the "traitor" remark.

If I were petty I could look at the top of the board with instructions about name calling. I am not, but I am confused.

Does it make me a traitor because I think some of the matchups favor MNW?

To be clear, I would love for SLC to win. Not certain if I will be in town that weekend or in Orlando. If I am, I will be there and yelling hard.

To my credit, I have supported TX HS teams in Ohio and Florida.

How about you?

OK, so I am clear, it is OK to spew all over the place that you are confident that SLC will "roll" MNW that's allright.

When asked to back those claims up with something tangible, it is stupid.

I wouldn't call it stupid, I'd call it weak, but whatever.

You give me 27.5 points and MNW. If SLC loses or wins by less than 28 you don't post here/TexasHSfootball/5ATexasfootball. If SLC wins by more than 28 I'll folllwo the same instrcustions.

I'd say give it a month. Does that work?

I would also like you to address the "traitor" remark.

If I were petty I could look at the top of the board with instructions about name calling. I am not, but I am confused.

Does it make me a traitor because I think some of the matchups favor MNW?

To be clear, I would love for SLC to win. Not certain if I will be in town that weekend or in Orlando. If I am, I will be there and yelling hard.

To my credit, I have supported TX HS teams in Ohio and Florida.

How about you?

If SLC were to lose, the worst thing is to hear another Texan saying "I told you so."

Take your MNW team and stick with them all year - good for you...Read your PM

ok ummmmmm. lakeland has one of the best coaching staffs in the state and country. you dont win two straight national titles, three straight state tites, racking up a state record 60 straight reg season wins, 6 titles in a florida big school class, and on and on and on. you dont get all that by just being average. and if you think so then your retarded . and chicago if you think our staff is so bad. how about you come on down here and coach then. what. hahahhahhahahahahahha like we would give up the 2005 national coach officer the year for you or anyone else.

Last edited:
wow. i mad(oops i forgot the e) i meant i made a big mistake. shame on me. dang. YOU'RE such a good teacher. nice come back tho( oh wait) i meant. nice comeback THOUGH

Last edited:
I'll coach them.

I'll make Pied the offensive coordinator, and Plaindriver the defensive coordinator.

Then we'll put Consumerman in sports information and put SLCDad in charge of cheerleading.

We'll still need someone to give the players free stuff, though.

Or maybe not. We might be good enough as a coaching staff that we don't have to.

if you coached. lakeland would have it's first losing season in over 30 years. it would make for a good news paper headline. NORTHERN COACH FROM CHICAGO LEADS LAKELAND TO A FIRST EVER 0-10 SEASON.