• Centerville

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Springboro

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Troy

Votes: 1 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This is off-topic, but are there any new teams in SWO? How about any teams still playing at the club level and not quite ready for the SWOHSHL?

Not any new teams this year I believe, but there is a league for club teams that could have the potential to create a varsity program. Indian Hill, Elder, Lasalle, Badin....... and others? I believe there is a league. The Lakota's could put a pretty good team together as well if they desired (I believe they are just club too).

I dont know why you think it'd be a surprise if Moeller won, they are almost always the pre season favorites, maybe they will pull it off this year

Some how some way... no one ever talks about tally anymore and they always put up a halfway decent team.

thats my pick

Moeller High School.
U16 and U18 AAA is where the hockey is, but Moeller should come out on top in Cincinnati.

AAA is way overrated. While there is some good hockey in AAA, it is no better than watching good high school teams play each other. It is a HUGE misconception that they only way to be seen is in AAA. The large tournaments and state final four are full of college and minor league scouts. High school athletic departments are equipped to assist with college recruiting and promotion of their athletes, which no AAA teams can do. Too many kids give up all other activities in high school to play AAA hockey in the hopes of snagging a scholarship or moving up to Juniors. The reality is, it was sacrifices for nothing, because most kids won't go any further than U18 and have missed much in their high school experience.

AAA is way overrated. While there is some good hockey in AAA, it is no better than watching good high school teams play each other. It is a HUGE misconception that they only way to be seen is in AAA. The large tournaments and state final four are full of college and minor league scouts. High school athletic departments are equipped to assist with college recruiting and promotion of their athletes, which no AAA teams can do.

If we're talking SW Ohio high school hockey here, I have to disagree. While the Toledo area teams, and the Cleveland area teams probably get regular looks by the scouts, and maybe some help from their athletic director, I don't think you can say the same for Springboro, Troy, Talawanda or any of the public schools in SW or central OH. And I'm sorry, but St. X vs Moeller, is not going to be the same as watching competitive AAA hockey. I'm not saying SW Ohio high school hockey isn't entertaining to watch, because it is, but it isn't the path to D1. And while there aren't many kids in the area that will make it to a D1 school (even through AAA/juniors) the percentage is much lower for high school players. If your looking for scholorship money, you're more likely to get it for academics than ice hockey, so hit the books.

If we're talking SW Ohio high school hockey here, I have to disagree. While the Toledo area teams, and the Cleveland area teams probably get regular looks by the scouts, and maybe some help from their athletic director, I don't think you can say the same for Springboro, Troy, Talawanda or any of the public schools in SW or central OH. And I'm sorry, but St. X vs Moeller, is not going to be the same as watching competitive AAA hockey.

Well if the only games high school teams played were in SW Ohio, I would agree. But Moeller, for example, plays a 50 game schedule which includes travel to Michigan, Cleveland, Toledo, Columbus, Indianapolis, and Canada. 20-24 games are played in tournaments, which in the past, have included teams from New York, Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan. We're not talking about CAHA High School Club hockey here. While it is very nice that we have club programs, the better high school varsity programs play as competitive a schedule as AAA.

Troy should definately have a pretty decent team this year. however the new coaching should be interesting...:Ohno:

Troy has a very good team. Moeller scrimmaged them this summer. I believe they have a kid who is an incoming Freshman who is pretty good. He skated with Varsity this summer. What is the coaching change? Has that occurred since the summer?

the better high school varsity programs play as competitive a schedule as AAA.[/QUOTE]

uh, right, .....thats why there are Cincy area kids playing @ Shattuck, Victory Honda, Cleveland Barons, OJBJ, CYA, Lake Forest Academy and at least 3-4 Moeller kids playing Tier 1 in cincy ......

Troy has a very good team. Moeller scrimmaged them this summer. I believe they have a kid who is an incoming Freshman who is pretty good. He skated with Varsity this summer. What is the coaching change? Has that occurred since the summer?

yeah he is pretty good. they should be a pretty physical team this year.
coach szabo stepped down at the end of last season after 13 years as head coach. his assistant coach, jeff owen, took his spot.

I think Moeller has the deepest squad and should be a favorite to win it......Beavercreek has the best goaltending so they'll be competitive in every game if they find scorers.......St X, Troy will compete but they're probably not as strong as Moeller.......Talawanda lost alot from last years team, but return alot of 4 yr kids, so they may surprise some......

st.x only lost sam bell. that is it. they are returning everyone else. if teams take x for granted this year they will struggle. i think they will suprise alot of people this year.

St. X could be a force to be reckoned with. They have a ton of good players, many who have become much better players over the summer. They also have several possible frosh and JV players who could make a solid difference

Well if the only games high school teams played were in SW Ohio, I would agree. But Moeller, for example, plays a 50 game schedule which includes travel to Michigan, Cleveland, Toledo, Columbus, Indianapolis, and Canada. 20-24 games are played in tournaments, which in the past, have included teams from New York, Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan. We're not talking about CAHA High School Club hockey here. While it is very nice that we have club programs, the better high school varsity programs play as competitive a schedule as AAA.

wow!! moeller? 50 games? haha try 35. thank you hockeepoor. no scouts are gonna come check out a high school game in cincinnati. maybe even cleveland, but they're only looking for young players (freshman, sophmores) because the juniors and seniors that are good are playing top notch AAA in cleveland, toledo, detroit, columbus or theyre playing JR A or JR B.

AAA is way overrated. While there is some good hockey in AAA, it is no better than watching good high school teams play each other. It is a HUGE misconception that they only way to be seen is in AAA. The large tournaments and state final four are full of college and minor league scouts. High school athletic departments are equipped to assist with college recruiting and promotion of their athletes, which no AAA teams can do. Too many kids give up all other activities in high school to play AAA hockey in the hopes of snagging a scholarship or moving up to Juniors. The reality is, it was sacrifices for nothing, because most kids won't go any further than U18 and have missed much in their high school experience.

i think.. your funny. if your trying to say that highschool is the route to play college and or juniors. highschool hockey isnt even close to how competitive and serious jr's and aaa are. I believe that most kids drafted in the nahl and ushl played either aaa or jr.b. even though there is the rare exception of the highschool kids. I do agree that hs hockey is an experience. but the only scholarship youll be able to get is club hockey in college.

thank you creekside! you get drafted into ushl at age 16 most the time if youre top notch. only good highschool hockey is massachusetts prep schools and minnesota high school

well h3ll everyone whos playing highschool hockey should quit and go play for cincinnati u16 and u18 aaa. have fun getting the kicked out of you by every other aaa team.

so i guess we will see you in the ushl kid26?

yeah. when u mean top notch players getting drafted into the u at age 16. were talkin top notch in north america. I the average age for kids to play is senior in highschool to just graduating. But about cinci 16au is pretty bad too. Even columbus's aaa team isnt all that good but its def. a a few steps up from where cinci is. The thing is, most people who play highschool hockey dont want to play college seriously. they want to play club and the kids that do want to move on and play more competitive hockey do move away and play jr's and aaa. majors

i find it funny creek15 that you keep adding the fact that the good players play aaa, only because thats where youve ended up playing. aaa in most cases is nowhere compared to playing good jr hockey.

u16 in cincinnati decent in the country. u18 blows.
but hey thats why you go to columbus --> USHL team = scouts

ok, but thats not what you said earlier. earlier you said that u16 aaa and u18 aaa is where hockey is at. and i am glad you agree that u18 blows. they are a sorry excuse for a aaa team. but like creek15 said, u16 isnt special either, and there is no way they are "decent in the country". like you said yourself, thats why you go to columbus instead of playing for cincinnati.

we'll know in a week or so, ojbj u16 plays cinci u16...........cincy u16 has had injury woes @ defense and goalie, but remain ranked higher than columbus, but back on subject ...with St. X playing Moeller, Talawanda and Sycamore all in the first weekend, we'll know how good they are real early

Last edited:
u16 BlueJackets vs. u16 Cyclones

11/08 730 at Cincinnati Gardens.

and to goalie127 theres a major difference between jr and aaa. JR B is not that good of hockey. its a at a pace of u16 AAA with more hitting and with older kids. some that are young go to JR A eventually but not all. JR A if youre playing EJHL NAHL or USHL are the top leagues in the country. JR A is great hockey. its feeds well into college (division 1) if thats what you want to play. cincinnati
u18 is a joke with their last in the country ranking. u16 cincinnati is much better than last years team. but the game against obj should be good.

go watch!!
11/08 730 at Cincinnati Gardens.

i know that jr.a is the route. and most players who do play true jr.a hockey go and play mostly D1. aaa is probably a good two steps above highschool. and you say ended up like its a bad thing. ill be playing jr.a hockey next year all season and some this season.