Who is best fit for the NE8 moving forward.

I agree BL makes the most sense. But I also think BL has been playing a very bad schedule as of late and the NE8 would be a huge step up in competition.

Not wrong. But their floor seems much higher than it was 10 years ago. Depending on what their OOC is like, I think Beaver would hover around 6-4 every year in the NE8. They’re in better shape now than Jefferson was when the NE8 started.
But IDK. BL’s recent success could largely be due to a generational talent at QB. Then they’ll just fade back into obscurity when he’s gone. Or they could have a lot more talent coming up.

Just trying to see the forest through the trees.
Of all the schools that have been brought up in the last few years as possible replacements for Jefferson, it looks like Beaver Local is the front runner.

Anyone is better than the week 1 opponent Struthers had these previous 2 seasons. :banana:
Someone must've been drinking heavily to schedule a mess like that.
What a waste of a game in all aspects. :mad::mad:
Not only were they gawd awful but exhibited the worst sportsmanship ever. We'd have been better scheduling Lo'ville.

Someone must've been drinking heavily to schedule a mess like that.
What a waste of a game in all aspects. :mad::mad:
Not only were they gawd awful but exhibited the worst sportsmanship ever. We'd have been better scheduling Lo'ville.
And they still have not fired that coach

BL has won 15 games in the last two seasons and I honestly can't find a decent team they beat. IMO, they would struggle big time in the NE7 in most years. Every once in awhile they might be good enough to get to 7 wins -- like Jefferson, I guess. But by and large, they'd be competing with Lakeview.

2023 might be a year where they could win 7. I don't know. But, by and large, they'd be in the bottom half every year and generally uncompetitive against the best teams.

BL has won 15 games in the last two seasons and I honestly can't find a decent team they beat. IMO, they would struggle big time in the NE7 in most years. Every once in awhile they might be good enough to get to 7 wins -- like Jefferson, I guess. But by and large, they'd be competing with Lakeview.

2023 might be a year where they could win 7. I don't know. But, by and large, they'd be in the bottom half every year and generally uncompetitive against the best teams.
Isn't the Big 10 still the big 10 but had more than 10 schools since Penn State join, why is it NE7 now?

I think its gonna be Beaver Local. Especially if they fare well against the NE8 this year. Right now, I think they’re clear favorites against Niles and Lakeview and I think Hubbard is a toss up. My gut says Struthers will be better, but it wouldn’t surprise me at all if BL wins. But if they get hammered in every game, they might reconsider.
BL will be good this year, QB is a stud. But I have no idea how good they’ll be next year and beyond. They have put together 3 straight winning seasons and will probably make it 4 this year. I doubt they drop off to where they were the last time they were in a conference with Mahoning Valley schools.

I don’t think it’ll be Salem or West Branch. Salem has shown little if no interest in leaving the EBC. Salem does play Poland week 1 this year, which is the first time those two have met since the old MAC days (2007). And aside from a home and home with Niles in 2011 and 2012, Salem hasn’t scheduled any other NE8 teams since they left the AAC in 2011. I do think WB would be more open. They’ve scheduled Girard and Struthers in recent years and play Girard again this year and Hubbard next year. But I think the two are a package deal. Currently only 1 opening in the NE8. And if one or both wanted to join the NE8, they probably wouldn’t have agreed to what I presume are home and homes in weeks 1 (Poland/Salem and Hubbard/WB in 2024) and week 3 (Girard/WB).
So I think they’re both gonna stay put until the EBC folds and then figure out what to do.

Howland would be ok, on the same level as Niles. I do think they’d fit in well in every other sport, though. Chaney would make the most sense. They’d definitely be my first choice, but I think they’re a package deal with Youngstown East. And they’ve shown no interest in leaving the SVC. Canfield is a big reason why the NE8 broke away from the AAC, so I cant see them getting an invite. And Mooney and Ursuline… lmao!

Beaver Local looks like the answer. My guess is BL plays out their remaining contracts this year and if everything works out they’ll officially join the NE8 in 2024.
On Arbiter, BL’s 2024 schedule is only showing St. Clairesville in week 3. The schedule would look something like this…
8/23 ?
8/30 ?
9/6 @ St. Clairesville
9/13 Poland
9/20 Girard
9/27 @ Niles
10/4 Hubbard
10/11 @ Struthers
10/18 South Range
10/25 @ Lakeview
Beaver wouldn’t join the EBC, why would they go to the NE8, that makes no sense

Beaver wouldn’t join the EBC, why would they go to the NE8, that makes no sense

Makes As much sense as any of the other schools that have been floated. More sense than most. Canfield, Salem and West Branch, the parochials, etc.
Why did Beaver back out of joining the EBC? Anyone know? How competitive are they in other sports? And what kind of talent do they have coming up?

I actually think BL would fare better than expected in the NE8 and not as well as you’d think in the EBC.
The NE8 is a lot more stable than the EBC. Would you rather be middle of the pack in a conference that might not exist in a few years? Or the same in a conference that isn’t going anywhere? Especially if travel for both is similar.

I would guess the overall drive time is better to be in the EBC and EL was invited to join with them, so it does make sense, that the EBC is a better fit for BL.

The question isn’t whether or not the EBC is a better fit. for whatever reason(s), BL said no to the EBC.
The question is whether or not it makes sense for them to join, and are they a fit for, the NE8.

Yeah, I'd definitely take the NE8 over EBC for BL. For a lot of reasons. And, as noted, it's moot anyway as they have declined.

I'm not particularly sure it makes much sense for BL unless they have actual aspirations of building programs. They can continue to play the teams they play, have a 6-7 win floor, and then lose in the playoffs.

From an NE8 perspective, I guess it's a question of weighing the cost of scheduling extra OoC games and where they're played versus dealing with a trip way down Route 7 every other year for football and every year for most other sports. SR, e.g., is playing Louisville in lieu of a conference game. That's an extra 20 minutes one way. But it is, on average, a better game.

I dunno. Jefferson was a bad option. I don't think BL is all that much better. The best options have been discussed over and over again and are unlikely to happen. So, it's a question of whether a not-so-great option is better than doing nothing.

Beaver local will play this year with one of their best teams in a very long time and very likely lose to half the ne8 teams they play, therefore they will not be joining the conference. Playing my wildcats week 1 with a ton returning and getting the QB and FS will be a huge test.

Bad soccer league

Is it? I always thought that Poland, Lakeview and Hubbard had pretty good soccer programs. Girard not terrible, either.
But I really don’t know.

Does Howland play in the AAC for soccer? Boardman, Fitch, Canfield, etc. That’s a stronger conference.
But I still don’t think the NE8 is a bad fit.

Is it? I always thought that Poland, Lakeview and Hubbard had pretty good soccer programs. Girard not terrible, either.
But I really don’t know.

Does Howland play in the AAC for soccer? Boardman, Fitch, Canfield, etc. That’s a stronger conference.
But I still don’t think the NE8 is a bad fit.
It’s a bad fit because they wouldn’t be near the top in football they would be middle
Off the road like Niles and to some people that won’t be good enough especially when you’re almost double some schools size.

since when do schools prioritize soccer in the state of ohio, small schools I get it but a school with over 300 boys that’s not an excuse, what about the big kids who can’t play soccer

I am not sure if Harding has a very good boys soccer team but Howland, Fitch, Canfield and Boardman all have very good teams usually, and even in down years would have no trouble with any team in the NE8. But that is to be expected with the disparity in size and the fact Howland is a soccer ⚽️ school and doesn't care about football anymore. I know Canfield plays several Federal League and other D-I and D-II schools in soccer, I think I recall Green and Hoover on the schedule among others.

It’s a bad fit because they wouldn’t be near the top in football they would be middle
Off the road like Niles and to some people that won’t be good enough especially when you’re almost double some schools size.

since when do schools prioritize soccer in the state of ohio, small schools I get it but a school with over 300 boys that’s not an excuse, what about the big kids who can’t play soccer
I get the bigger the school is, the more sport programs that they would offer their student body. If the AAC offers the selection of sport programs that Howland wants for their students then go all in and be involved in all sports. But that will still only be a 5 team league, six if Louisville joins. The NE8 doesn't offer all the sports across all schools like wrestling, soccer, lacrosse, etc. but does that really matter to pass up being in a local 8 team league with good rivals??

I think Howland augments their soccer schedule with some of the better teams in NEO, the 5 team league allows them a lot more flexibility in scheduling for soccer and other minor sports. I know for some minor sports some of the members of the AAC are in other leagues or effectively independent. Canfield is in a different league for boys ice hockey and I think lacrosse, not sure if there are any others. As an aside I don't think Harding has lacrosse but I could be wrong. And Canfield is the only school within 30-40 minutes of Youngstown with boys ice hockey. I think the next closest team is Roosevelt.

Beaver local will play this year with one of their best teams in a very long time and very likely lose to half the ne8 teams they play, therefore they will not be joining the conference. Playing my wildcats week 1 with a ton returning and getting the QB and FS will be a huge test.

What’s Hubbard gonna do at QB? #1? Still hav #5 and #18 at RB. And I think most guys back on the lines, lead by Bowser. Lose the big LT. Pass game will probably be subpar again… will it matter?
If their offense isn’t much improved this year, I think Beaver will be able to outscore them.

Week 1 will also be a test for Struthers.

It's a communist sport!

What’s Hubbard gonna do at QB? #1? Still hav #5 and #18 at RB. And I think most guys back on the lines, lead by Bowser. Lose the big LT. Pass game will probably be subpar again… will it matter?
If their offense isn’t much improved this year, I think Beaver will be able to outscore them.

Week 1 will also be a test for Struthers.
Hubbard should go the spread style that they did at the end of the year to be able to succeed against teams who can stop the run in the trenches. I agree the BL game is a huge test as well as Geneva week 2, not an easy opening of the schedule

I meant they’d be a good fit for soccer. I agree, for football they’d be mid. But so would every other team that has a realistic chance of getting in the NE8.

I get the bigger the school is, the more sport programs that they would offer their student body. If the AAC offers the selection of sport programs that Howland wants for their students then go all in and be involved in all sports. But that will still only be a 5 team league, six if Louisville joins. The NE8 doesn't offer all the sports across all schools like wrestling, soccer, lacrosse, etc. but does that really matter to pass up being in a local 8 team league with good rivals??
I think Struthers is one of the only schools that doesn’t have wrestling, SR would take Howland to the wood shed in wrestling so it’s not a drop in competition there.

I still have a sneaky suspicion Liberty could be in play here. Lakeview Hubbard Girard being in the league helps. Even tho Liberty wouldn’t be good in most sports.