Who doesn't have lights?

Cleveland Central Catholic

Shaker Heights (?)
20221108_125900.jpg

I was just in Shaker Heights today overseeing the work on Chagrin Blvd/US-422. Never actually saw their stadium though despite being up here quite a few times to oversee the progress of this project.

Shaker's lights:

Shaker Heights just got lights full time this year. Tested out lights last season.

Buchtel and Akron Garfield do not have lights.
I was about to correct you and say Kenmore, but then I realized you are right it's Garfield because Kenmore doesn't exist anymore.

I was about to correct you and say Kenmore, but then I realized you are right it's Garfield because Kenmore doesn't exist anymore.
Did Central or Hower even have a stadium of their own at any point that wasn't shared?
What Akron City schools had their own stadiums?

Lol, I'm not old enough to remember Hower. Since I have been around only 3 Akron public schools have had their own stadium, Ellet, Buchtel, and Kenmore ( which now belongs to Garfield). East, North, and Firestone have never had their own. Heck Central-Hower had travel just to practice (Forge Field).

Lol, I'm not old enough to remember Hower. Since I have been around only 3 Akron public schools have had their own stadium, Ellet, Buchtel, and Kenmore ( which now belongs to Garfield). East, North, and Firestone have never had their own. Heck Central-Hower had travel just to practice (Forge Field).
Akron City Schools at 1 time used Old Forge field. You can see it under the Rt.8 freeway bridge. Now has baseball field and the football field is used for some j.v. games. My grandson's North Canton Hoover team played there this fall. Until Akron Ellet rejoined the City Series in 1972, that stadium was exclusively Akron Ellet's field and was not used by City Series. Only Buchtel and Kenmore ( both no lights) had fields and were used so Saturday afternoon games or doubleheader games at the old Akron Rubber Bowl! No other schools had actual stadiums just practice fields.

Shaker Heights just got lights full time this year. Tested out lights last season.
That's awesome for Shaker! I've never seen a game there, but have seen the stadium a few times.... it's really a cool & unique venue. I think I'm going to have make it up there for an actual game now, I have some family in Shaker Heights, so a Friday night visit should be pretty easy to do.

If you are in Akron, drive by the former Akron Central-Hower ( the old site of the original Akron Central Wildcats) and the practice field is in front of the newer building surrounded by the original black iron fence. Thus was the front lawn of the school and where the players held practice. Not even regulation size. It's right on the University of Akron campus and I believe the building is now a STEM high school for Akron.

In Cleveland, Collinwood Athletic Complex (where Glenville played its first two playoff games) and John Marshall have lights while Bump Taylor, JFK and Rhodes do not. I don't know if West Tech Field still exists.

If you are in Akron, drive by the former Akron Central-Hower ( the old site of the original Akron Central Wildcats) and the practice field is in front of the newer building surrounded by the original black iron fence. Thus was the front lawn of the school and where the players held practice. Not even regulation size. It's right on the University of Akron campus and I believe the building is now a STEM high school for Akron.
I am very familiar with Central-Hower, I was just at the Greek Church across the street last week for a funeral. And I have to go to into my office in Akron later today to do some paperwork.

In Cleveland, Collinwood Athletic Complex (where Glenville played its first two playoff games) and John Marshall have lights while Bump Taylor, JFK and Rhodes do not. I don't know if West Tech Field still exists.

A lot of the Cleveland schools just trade home games for cash. I do wonder what they do when they play each other.

A lot of the Cleveland schools just trade home games for cash. I do wonder what they do when they play each other.
They play at 4 in the afternoon if it's a weekday home game.

A sample of the Senate League schedule from week 5 courtesy of Joe Eitel:
2022-09-13 4pm Rhodes (Cleveland) 6 at John Hay (Cleveland) 7 (A week 4 makeup game)
2022-09-16 4pm East Technical (Cleveland) 0 at Lincoln West (Cleveland) 33
2022-09-16 4pm Glenville (Cleveland) 44 at Collinwood (Cleveland) 0
2022-09-16 4pm John Adams (Cleveland) 6 at John Hay (Cleveland) 48
2022-09-16 4pm John F Kennedy (Cleveland) 14 at Rhodes (Cleveland) 38
2022-09-17 12pm Firestone (Akron) 12 at John Marshall (Cleveland) 22

Last edited:
John Marshall does not, but Bump Taylor I think got temporarily lighting this year (although they didn't play any night games).

Rhodes, hays, and JFK don't have lights. Collingwood does. Forget about bump Taylor or John Marshall. The stadium off 55th does, I think. What's is name now? It was Duane Browder.

Rhodes, hays, and JFK don't have lights. Collingwood does. Forget about bump Taylor or John Marshall. The stadium off 55th does, I think. What's is name now? It was Duane Browder.
Dwayne Browder is the name.

Akron City Schools at 1 time used Old Forge field. You can see it under the Rt.8 freeway bridge. Now has baseball field and the football field is used for some j.v. games. My grandson's North Canton Hoover team played there this fall. Until Akron Ellet rejoined the City Series in 1972, that stadium was exclusively Akron Ellet's field and was not used by City Series. Only Buchtel and Kenmore ( both no lights) had fields and were used so Saturday afternoon games or doubleheader games at the old Akron Rubber Bowl! No other schools had actual stadiums just practice fields.
In the 80s, at least, Akron North played their JV home games at Old Forge field.