White Teachers will be the first to go:Minneapolis

It is a well known issue innercity schools face, I assumed you were at least up on that point.

Innercity schools send out recruiting teams to job fairs in hope of attracting good teachers. The suburbs meanwhile, are awash with applicants. Now the next part requires a bit of logical deduction, but if suburban districts get to pick from many applicants, while innercity districts are wide open (Google for plenty of articles on this topic) where do you think the less qualified candidates will land?

Furthermore, when a family member of mine did their innercity placement as required for their degree, the innercity teachers, parents and kids let them know they were not interested in high standards of education and reduced their role to that of babysitter. Parents complained if much was demanded of their kids, and soon they were wanting the little white devil to move on. The little white devil landed at a well known high academic functioning public school, but had to compete with over 1,000 applicants for the handful of jobs available. Parents loved the academic rigor such teachers required, and expected their children to comply and work as requested by the teacher. Logic says that school will have much more highly qualified teachers as they picked from the large pool of applicants, and had high expectations for their children.
In other words, you have zero evidence or data to back up your claim that teachers suck who teach at their alma mater. Shocker.

if they laid off black people because they were black you would actually be right for the first time ever.

However, because it was done by seniority and programs only completely ignoring race.
Again, you get to decide if they want to be pissed off?

Last edited by a moderator:
In other words, you have zero evidence or data to back up your claim that teachers suck who teach at their alma mater. Shocker.
Someone did not do their homework. There are way to many articles to even try to trim it down to prove a point. But, if you think all we need in the innercity is more black teachers let's try it.

I will list just two articles, one came from Stanford, you as a lefty may put more stock in it.

Titled "The Surprising Reason Urban Schools attract Less Qualified Teachers".

And another " The Challenges of Staffing Urban Schools with Effective Teachers".

Included in the articles are the fact that most teachers want to teach in a district they grew up in or one similar. It also points out the exact point I made,that urban districts will have inferior teachers compared to suburban due to inability to attract candidates.

I will not waste my time giving any further evidence, but over the years I have amassed quite a large amount in trying to understand why the urban areas flounder.

Last edited:
I can see how white teachers might not like this. Black teachers in Minneapolis have historically be laid off at a much higher rate than whites so they have been pissed off for long time. Now all races of teachers can be mad.
It's obvious you didn't grow up during the early days of affirmative action. Two wrongs do not make a right.

Again, you get to decide if they want to be pissed off?
Again, you’re saying it was racism when it clearly was not.

Everyone has the right to be pissed if they get laid off. In all these scenarios only the current agreement, against white teachers, would actually be solely due to race.

You have proved in t this thread you are either being a troll or you’re a moron, you choose.

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s fact. They make up 23% of the lay offs but only 18% of the teachers.
First I would call that difference ”a much higher rate” … second, you talk about demographics … Minnesota’s population is 7.2% black & they have 18% of the teachers are black … wouldn’t you call that being over represented … at a much higher rate?

Last edited:
I will list just two articles, one came from Stanford, you as a lefty may put more stock in it.

Titled "The Surprising Reason Urban Schools attract Less Qualified Teachers".

And another " The Challenges of Staffing Urban Schools with Effective Teachers".

Included in the articles are the fact that most teachers want to teach in a district they grew up in or one similar. It also points out the exact point I made,that urban districts will have inferior teachers compared to suburban due to inability to attract candidates.

I will not waste my time giving any further evidence, but over the years I have amassed quite a large amount in trying to understand why the urban areas flounder.
Link please.

First I would call that difference ”a much higher rate” … second, you talk about demographics … Minnesota’s population is 7.2% black & they have 18% of the teachers are black … wouldn’t you call that being over represented … at a much higher rate?
The school system does not cover the state bozo. It’s Minneapolis. My god.

Again, you’re the moron saying it was racism when it clearly was not.

Everyone has the right to be pissed if they get laid off. In all these scenarios only the current agreement, against white teachers, would actually be solely due to race.

You have proved in t this thread you are either being a troll or you’re a moron, you choose.
The thread ttile called it racism. I did not.

The thread ttile called it racism. I did not.
Lol, thread title didn’t mention racism. The article title is : Teachers Union agreement stipulating white teachers be laid off first criticized. Article Title implies White teachers will be the first to go which is what the thread title says. This is backward thinking. The decision to cut staff should have nothing to do with the race of the teacher. But of course that argument is your go to reply. You really try much to hard to be cute.

Someone did not do their homework. There are way to many articles to even try to trim it down to prove a point. But, if you think all we need in the innercity is more black teachers let's try it.
Last I heard, Cleveland City Schools were short about 150 teachers for the coming school year. Not enough people want to be teacher/COs these days, I guess. Better tax the commuters harder, and have the State tax dollars flow even more disproportionately to the hand-out zip codes.

Too bad these hoodrat parents train their kids to be..............hoodrats.

The school system does not cover the state bozo. It’s Minneapolis. My god.
OK … then Minneapolis is 18.87% black and the percent of teachers in Minneapolis is 18% (your numbers) … wouldn’t that mean there is practically no difference in diversity … thus no need to change the rules?

OK … then Minneapolis is 18.87% black and the percent of teachers in Minneapolis is 18% (your numbers) … wouldn’t that mean there is practically no difference diversity … thus no need to change the rules?
Just checking in to be sure that you are defending the teacher tenure status quo - how about it ?

Just checking in to be sure that you are defending the teacher tenure status quo - how about it ?
I don’t like tenure alone … but I also understand the need to have it used … without it … some school districts would simply RIF(layoff)
the older teachers based on the ability to save money alone … to me, in the perfect world, it would be based on a combination of seniority and evaluation (which is what I think it is in many Ohio school districts) … there really is no perfect way because there are so many variables in evaluations … for example a teacher teaching honor students and another teacher teaching mostly at risk students …. very difficult to truly evaluate which is the better teacher.

I don’t like tenure alone … but I also understand the need to have it used … without it … some school districts would simply RIF(layoff)
the older teachers based on the ability to save money alone … to me, in the perfect world, it would be based on a combination of seniority and evaluation (which is what I think it is in many Ohio school districts) … there really is no perfect way because there are so many variables in evaluations … for example a teacher teaching honor students and another teacher teaching mostly at risk students …. very difficult to truly evaluate which is the better teacher.
It is certainly difficult to evaluate them, but they do it in Ohio. Every teacher is rated every year.

I always thought it was completely insane to increase teacher pay every year. Some of the most effective educators can be the younger ones, and I could check off an extensive list of the highest paid teachers where I went that just seemed to be marking time. Given the added stresses in being a teacher today, I doubt that that’s changed for the better.

A music, art, or phys ed teacher making more than someone effectively teaching organic chemistry or trigonometry ? On top of tenure ?

then you have all these teachers union dues going to foundations and such that manipulate the way schools operate via donation with strings attached, or self-serving and one-sided perspectives that amount to brainwashing…. disguised of course as training and altruistic education

Last edited:
Last I heard, Cleveland City Schools were short about 150 teachers for the coming school year. Not enough people want to be teacher/COs these days, I guess. Better tax the commuters harder, and have the State tax dollars flow even more disproportionately to the hand-out zip codes.

Too bad these hoodrat parents train their kids to be..............hoodrats.
Dayton area similar problem. They are coming hard after teachers in private schools knowing if money is thrown around a few will leave for the opportunity in an urban district......at least for a little while.

It is certainly difficult to evaluate them, but they do it in Ohio. Every teacher is rated every year.
… and that’s why I question using it … anyone who has ever taught has seen really good teachers get low ratings and poor teachers get good rating … a lot of the criteria used is very subjective and much of it is based on who/where you are teaching and not necessary your ability.

I think we need more teachers period. I also think the faculty should looks somewhat like the students they teach. I also know your claim about teachers teaching at their alma mater is 100% horsesh*t.

OK … then Minneapolis is 18.87% black and the percent of teachers in Minneapolis is 18% (your numbers) … wouldn’t that mean there is practically no difference in diversity … thus no need to change the rules?
Black teachers are more affected by lay offs and cuts then their white counterparts. That should be corrected.

I think we need more teachers period. I also think the faculty should looks somewhat like the students they teach. I also know your claim about teachers teaching at their alma mater is 100% horsesh*t.
Any why would a teacher looking like their student matter?

I never cared if my teacher was white, black, male, female, Asian, etc. As long as they knew the subject and taught well.

Any why would a teacher looking like their student matter?

I never cared if my teacher was white, black, male, female, Asian, etc. As long as they knew the subject and taught well.
Just because you don't care about something does not make it less relevant. Generally speaking, leaders should look like the people they are leading. Elected politicians should represent the people they are representing. Teachers should look at least somewhat like the students they are teaching. I really don’t think having a representative faculty of the student body is a bad thing.