White Teachers will be the first to go:Minneapolis

Lrt me try to explain it in a way you might grasp it.

I will assume for many years whites were the predominant makeup of teachers, let's say 90%.

Then a hiring practices change 20 years ago begins to hire 50 % white teachers to 50% all other races.

Now when layoffs by seniority happen, more non white teachers as a percentage of the whole group will be laid off because of the last in first out policy. Over time this would have taken care of itself, but go ahead and speed it along with bad policy. What you will get is fewer white teachers intrested in going to the big cities to teach, so the more inferior and less motivated teachers who are protected by race will take over and test scores will plummet vs the suburbia and we will have further screwed the children. Oh the humanity!
Except that is not how it was working in Minneapolis per the article I posted. If the district blew out a school that was in a predominate black area with more black teachers, they were not eliminating a white teacher from a whiter area across town. The RIF came from the affected area. As such seniority was not applied district wide. Like it or not, this policy simply says that seniority is still the primary decision driver but they can also consider demographics.

Last edited:
That Union has always been by seniority,
Bingo.

This is really odd and I would like to see the specific language. There is a lot wrong here from a discrimination and violating federal laws perspective that any advising attorney would nix. If true, any white teacher in the district should have their fingers crossed that they are laid off first so they can get a hefty payday.

Not a fan of seniority either but measuring a teacher is obviously really difficult due to so many factors.

Urban teacher's unions are their own worst enemy.

Except that is not how it was working in Minneapolis per the article I posted. If the district blew out a school that was in a predominate black area with more black teachers, they were not eliminating a white teacher from a whiter area across town. The RIF came from the affected area. As such seniority was not applied district wide. Like it or not, this policy simply says that seniority is still the primary decision driver but they can consider also consider demographics.
No Union agreement I have ever seen discriminates in any way outside of those that have seniority protections. It would be an instant NLRB charge for failure to properly represent not to mention all agreements have savings clauses that state they will not violate any laws which this clearly does.

You start out so well here, then completely ruin a good point.

Agreed, seniority means little to performance. Good point.

But, is a teacher who has been impacted by a system that sucks, really better to teach kids who are currently in the same type of system? Not only no, but hell no. Having a person that cares about developing the kids character, intellect and knowledge as a sum total is way more important than finding the kid from the hood that has a degree in education but lacks in other areas.

If we really want to put innercity kids back in chains, keep giving them more teachers who are inferior because they know they are protected by race. Not all teachers fit that category, but many do. Human nature is often to find the easier path, and protection by race creates an easier path.

To be clear, they are taking away a non racial system of seniority in favor of a racially biased system of race being the determinant factor as to who gets laid off. That's a great way to get over racism in America.
As I have already said, performance is the best way to make RIF decisions so I am not sure who you think you are preaching to. I simply said that after that, factoring demographics is better than seniority.

That said, your post has an obvious racist tone. Performance is not factored in these RIFs so asserting that the black teachers are "inferior" with no other basis for your characterization strongly infers they are inferior because of their blackness.

Seniority is a dumb way to make these decisions. It means nothing in terms of effectiveness. I would say job performance is most important and then having teachers that represent the demographics of the students they teach would be 2nd. Walking in another man’s shoes goes a long way in the ability to lead them.
No one cares about what you think, but seniority and tenure are stupid. The union vote is what matters, and the Democrats will never discipline the teachers. They have to clean their own house.

Nothing but my job performance ever made a place for me. I had to be the best I could be every day or be replaced, and every bit of work I accomplished and left behind me was better because of it. Teachers should be judged the same way.

No one cares about what you think, but seniority and tenure are stupid. The union vote is what matters, and the Democrats will never discipline the teachers. They have to clean their own house.

Nothing but my job performance ever made a place for me. I had to be the best I could be every day or be replaced, and every bit of work I accomplished and left behind me was better because of it. Teachers should be judged the same way.
I think I already said all of that with the exception of the bragging about personal job performance. Thanks for the support.

I think I already said all of that with the exception of the bragging about personal job performance. Thanks for the support.
Well, the point is that you don’t even know the teachers have always been let go in reverse seniority…..

OR…….trying to come at it from a racial angle and ignoring every employment contract with a public school teacher in the country, given that you’re in the personnel business yourself

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, the point is that you don’t even know the teachers have always been let go in reverse seniority…..

OR…….trying to come at it from a racial angle and ignoring every employment contract with a public school teacher in the country, given that you’re in the personnel business yourself
I never made a single argument about seniority as a factor is teacher RIFs. You just made that up. What I did is correctly point out that Minneapolis black teachers were disproportionally affected by closures and budget cuts. They were.

How could you not come at this story from a racial angle? It is only about race. It is the entire point of the thread which is the contract brings race into the termination decision. Did you forget your meds this morning?

I never made a single argument about seniority as a factor is teacher RIFs. You just made that up. What I did is correctly point out that Minneapolis black teachers were disproportionally affected by closures and budget cuts. They were.

How could you not come at this story from a racial angle? It is only about race. It is the entire point of the thread which is the contract brings race into the termination decision. Did you forget your meds this morning?
You know damn well it’s stupid to hump race stats like you did

You are an utter waste of time. Your return here really adds nothing but post count

You know damn well it’s stupid to hump race stats like you did

You are an utter waste of time. Your return here really adds nothing but post count
Hump race stats? WTF are you talking about? I simply said that the stipulation was added because black teachers were disproportionally affected by budget cuts and closures. I WAS ASKED to source the statement so I did directly from the Minneapolis school district.

You are off the rails very early this morning.

Hump race stats? WTF are you talking about? I simply said that the stipulation was added because black teachers were disproportionally affected by budget cuts and closures. I WAS ASKED to source the statement so I did directly from the Minneapolis school district.

You are off the rails very early this morning.

There's no logical basis for the events/measures causing the OP of this thread. You posted in it's failed justification exercise.

There's no logical basis for the events/measures causing the OP of this thread. You posted in it's failed justification exercise. You, therefore, had your daily outing as a moron very early.
I simply provided underlying facts and then offered an opinion that performance is much better than seniority. On the other hand, you made a bunch of insane crap up and then when called out and corrected for your stupidity, tried to back track out with the nonsensical post above. Try upping your meds.

I simply provided underlying facts and then offered an opinion that performance is much better than seniority. On the other hand, you made a bunch of insane crap up and then when called out and corrected for your stupidity, tried to back track out with the nonsensical post above. Try upping your meds.
carry on

This is really odd and I would like to see the specific language. There is a lot wrong here from a discrimination and violating federal laws perspective that any advising attorney would nix.
My thought as well. The EEOC laws are clear that race and color cannot be used when considering employment actions, including retention. Looks like the union is trying to be cute by deliberately not referencing race or color specifically, only mentioning "under-represented" groups. To the EEOC, that's just a different way of saying the same thing.

But citing the federal judge's decision in Boston school desegregation case from the 1970's may give the Minneapolis union some precedent to go by. This could get interesting.

I was more familiar with the busing aspect of the Boston case, never heard of the part where it allowed the layoffs/firing of white teachers to maintain a certain racial balance in the staffing. Far as I know it's still in place at Beantown. Will be interesting to see how much weight a federal judge today might give it if the Minneapolis issue goes to court.

Reminds me of MAD magazine's parody of the TV show "Room 222". Every time teacher Pete Dixon would eject a black student for an infraction (by pushing him out the window), he'd arbitrarily remove a white student (literally booting him out the door) to keep class at 50-50 ratio. And I think they showed the principal doing the same thing with removing teachers.

So is terminating blacks at a disproportional rate to their white counterparts so per my original post, they all can be pissed off now.
Wrong.

Unless they were being terminated explicitly due to their race it's not the same.

Except that is not how it was working in Minneapolis per the article I posted. If the district blew out a school that was in a predominate black area with more black teachers, they were not eliminating a white teacher from a whiter area across town. The RIF came from the affected area. As such seniority was not applied district wide. Like it or not, this policy simply says that seniority is still the primary decision driver but they can also consider demographics.
Demographics are worthless. Give me the best and brightest regardless of skin color, gender, religion etc.

A less capable person in a position because they check a box is insane.

Demographics are worthless. Give me the best and brightest regardless of skin color, gender, religion etc.

ProV has to check boxes to retain his top 1% status?.

The teachers union eating their own BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Here's an article that goes more in depth on the topic:

New Minneapolis teacher contract language disrupts seniority to protect educators of color​

The provision goes into effect next spring.

By Mara Klecker Star Tribune

JUNE 4, 2022 — 3:32PM
merlin_67592153.jpg

JERRY HOLT, STAR TRIBUNE

Ed Barlow, left, the band teacher at Anwatin Middle School shows Alex Rennie how to position his fingers on the clarinet. Barlow was on the Minneapolis Federation of Teachers executive board during negotiations and throughout the teachers strike, which ended with an agreement that includes protections for educators of color.

Minneapolis Public Schools, one of the most diverse districts in the state, has long recognized its need for more teachers of color. But 50 of them are losing their current positions this fall, a result of cuts largely tied to enrollment losses.

By next spring, however, teachers of color in the district will have new safeguards. The agreement that ended the three-week teachers strike this spring includes contract language that upends the traditional last-in, first-out hiring policies as a way to retain "members of populations underrepresented among licensed teachers."

The new contract makes Minneapolis one of the only school districts in the country with such seniority-disrupting language, district and union leaders say. They hope it helps foster a teaching staff that better mirrors the demographics of the pupils they work with, more than 60% of them students of color. Currently, about 16% of the district's tenured teachers and 27% of its probationary teachers are people of color.

"It can be a national model, and schools in other states are looking to emulate what we did," said Edward Barlow, a band teacher at Anwatin Middle School and a member of the Minneapolis Federation of Teachers executive board. "Even though it doesn't do everything that we wanted it to do, it's still a huge move forward for the retention of teachers of color."

Having a teacher of color can boost academic performance, graduation rates and even attendance for students of color, according to a report by The Learning Policy Institute, a national education research nonprofit.

But last-in, first-out policies are designed to protect more senior teachers, a higher percentage of whom are white.

For Minneapolis, that has meant even when the district is successful in recruiting teachers of color, "they could be the first to go," said Candra Bennett, interim senior human resources officer for the district. "That's completely counter-productive."

Though both the union and the district had named such protections as a priority, Bennett said it was a "somewhat difficult" journey to get to agreed-upon language. "Let's be clear — in order to get to that place, someone has to give something up," she said. "The seniority-based system is the bedrock of union labor."

The strike, combined with the recent racial reckoning in Minneapolis and nationwide, made the issue more urgent, Bennett said.

"It wasn't lost on anyone that we need to start doing something differently," she said, adding that she hopes the language also works to boost recruitment in a highly competitive job market.

'A small piece'
The protections are a part of a larger portion of the union contract that includes other anti-racism and anti-bias provisions, including the establishment of a mentorship program for educators of color in the district. According to the contract, the protections are an effort "to remedy the continuing effects of past discrimination by the district" ... resulting "in a lack of diversity of teachers."

While district and union leaders agree that the contract provision is an important step, they say it isn't enough. The culture of Minneapolis schools must be welcoming and inclusive enough to attract — and keep — diverse educators.

Katie Pekel, principal in residence at the University of Minnesota's College of Education and Human Development, agrees. She leads a team working on bringing research and ideas to local school districts looking to diversify teaching staff.

Minnesota's teaching force is about 5.5% teachers of color and its student population is about 30% students of color.

"This is a small piece of a larger puzzle," she said of the new contract language in Minneapolis, which is similar to recommendations by her team and by Education Minnesota, the state's teachers union. "We would argue that the recruitment and retention of teachers of color is actually predicated on, 'Do you have a culturally responsive leader and an environment that is humanizing and affirming to those educators?'"

So far, such contract language hasn't been widely adopted across the state.

Some districts, however, including Robbinsdale Area Schools, have agreements that protect probationary teachers — defined as those with less than three years of experience — beyond the last-in, first-out order if they better reflect student demographics.

Over the past five years, that agreement has kept 12 Robbinsdale teachers from losing their position, said Peter Eckhoff, president of the Robbinsdale Federation of Educators. The provision is not race-specific — and neither is the one in Minneapolis — so, for example, it can be used to retain a male elementary teacher in a school with mostly female teachers.

"Yes, it's working and, yes, it's in the contract ... but we still have a long way to go," said Amy O'Hern, executive director of human resources for Robbinsdale schools. The district has about 65% students of color, and 90% of the teachers are white, she said. "It's continual conversation and brainstorming to fix that. Districts can't do that work in silos."

More work ahead
As Minneapolis implements the contract language for next school year, Bennett said that district officials will be working with the union as well as districts like Robbinsdale.

"I think this is a really easy conversation in theory," Bennett said. "But when you get into the guts of it, it can be a very difficult conversation."

Barlow, who is Black, has worked in Minneapolis schools since 1989. He's proud of the new provisions in the contract, but he said it's now up to the district to live out the values represented in those words.
"There's so much more than seniority at stake here," he said.

"This is a bigger conversation about working conditions, compensation, and microagressions and macroagressions in the workplace," he said. "Those are the pieces that this district also needs to reflect on and make some motions to improve."

New Minneapolis teacher contract language disrupts seniority to protect educators of color​

merlin_67592153.jpg

JERRY HOLT, STAR TRIBUNE

Ed Barlow, left, the band teacher at Anwatin Middle School shows Alex Rennie how to position his fingers on the clarinet. Barlow was on the Minneapolis Federation of Teachers executive board during negotiations and throughout the teachers strike, which ended with an agreement that includes protections for educators of color.

Minneapolis Public Schools, one of the most diverse districts in the state, has long recognized its need for more teachers of color. But 50 of them are losing their current positions this fall, a result of cuts largely tied to enrollment losses.

By next spring, however, teachers of color in the district will have new safeguards. The agreement that ended the three-week teachers strike this spring includes contract language that upends the traditional last-in, first-out hiring policies as a way to retain "members of populations underrepresented among licensed teachers."

The new contract makes Minneapolis one of the only school districts in the country with such seniority-disrupting language, district and union leaders say. They hope it helps foster a teaching staff that better mirrors the demographics of the pupils they work with, more than 60% of them students of color. Currently, about 16% of the district's tenured teachers and 27% of its probationary teachers are people of color.

"It can be a national model, and schools in other states are looking to emulate what we did," said Edward Barlow, a band teacher at Anwatin Middle School and a member of the Minneapolis Federation of Teachers executive board. "Even though it doesn't do everything that we wanted it to do, it's still a huge move forward for the retention of teachers of color."

Having a teacher of color can boost academic performance, graduation rates and even attendance for students of color, according to a report by The Learning Policy Institute, a national education research nonprofit.

But last-in, first-out policies are designed to protect more senior teachers, a higher percentage of whom are white.

For Minneapolis, that has meant even when the district is successful in recruiting teachers of color, "they could be the first to go," said Candra Bennett, interim senior human resources officer for the district. "That's completely counter-productive."

Though both the union and the district had named such protections as a priority, Bennett said it was a "somewhat difficult" journey to get to agreed-upon language. "Let's be clear — in order to get to that place, someone has to give something up," she said. "The seniority-based system is the bedrock of union labor."

The strike, combined with the recent racial reckoning in Minneapolis and nationwide, made the issue more urgent, Bennett said.

"It wasn't lost on anyone that we need to start doing something differently," she said, adding that she hopes the language also works to boost recruitment in a highly competitive job market.

'A small piece'
The protections are a part of a larger portion of the union contract that includes other anti-racism and anti-bias provisions, including the establishment of a mentorship program for educators of color in the district. According to the contract, the protections are an effort "to remedy the continuing effects of past discrimination by the district" ... resulting "in a lack of diversity of teachers."

While district and union leaders agree that the contract provision is an important step, they say it isn't enough. The culture of Minneapolis schools must be welcoming and inclusive enough to attract — and keep — diverse educators.

Katie Pekel, principal in residence at the University of Minnesota's College of Education and Human Development, agrees. She leads a team working on bringing research and ideas to local school districts looking to diversify teaching staff.

Minnesota's teaching force is about 5.5% teachers of color and its student population is about 30% students of color.

"This is a small piece of a larger puzzle," she said of the new contract language in Minneapolis, which is similar to recommendations by her team and by Education Minnesota, the state's teachers union. "We would argue that the recruitment and retention of teachers of color is actually predicated on, 'Do you have a culturally responsive leader and an environment that is humanizing and affirming to those educators?'"

Some districts, however, including Robbinsdale Area Schools, have agreements that protect probationary teachers — defined as those with less than three years of experience — beyond the last-in, first-out order if they better reflect student demographics.

Over the past five years, that agreement has kept 12 Robbinsdale teachers from losing their position, said Peter Eckhoff, president of the Robbinsdale Federation of Educators. The provision is not race-specific — and neither is the one in Minneapolis — so, for example, it can be used to retain a male elementary teacher in a school with mostly female teachers.

"Yes, it's working and, yes, it's in the contract ... but we still have a long way to go," said Amy O'Hern, executive director of human resources for Robbinsdale schools. The district has about 65% students of color, and 90% of the teachers are white, she said. "It's continual conversation and brainstorming to fix that. Districts can't do that work in silos."

More work ahead
As Minneapolis implements the contract language for next school year, Bennett said that district officials will be working with the union as well as districts like Robbinsdale.

"I think this is a really easy conversation in theory," Bennett said. "But when you get into the guts of it, it can be a very difficult conversation."

Barlow, who is Black, has worked in Minneapolis schools since 1989. He's proud of the new provisions in the contract, but he said it's now up to the district to live out the values represented in those words.

"This is a bigger conversation about working conditions, compensation, and microagressions and macroagressions in the workplace," he said. "Those are the pieces that this district also needs to reflect on and make some motions to improve."
I still want to see the language. Nothing in a labor agreement can go against EEOC. There has to be more here.

The HR Director's comment on seniority being a bedrock of union labor is not true. Only in the teacher union world and many archaic manufacturing union agreements.

The HR Director's comment on seniority being a bedrock of union labor is not true. Only in the teacher union world and many archaic manufacturing union agreements.

I know it's been the main component of determining layoffs at my place of work, union-wise. And those who's jobs are eliminated by cuts are able to "bump" into someone else's job based purely on seniority.

The problem I see with unions is that the leadership is generally comprised of those with many years of seniority and when time comes to negotiate the next contract, they're solely concerned with doing what's best for themselves, not the greater good of the membership.

ETA: Truth be told, I don't know how the union got this contract approved by their members - I'm surprised it even went up for a vote.

Haven't read the article yet. Just curious, are they saying that they are firing individuals with 20+ years of service at one school and keeping workers with 5 years of experience at another school in the district? That doesn't seem to be normal. I would think that schools that have cuts would move those with seniority over to another school in the district and bump someone with less experience.

Is that because they are inferior as educators?
because it was systemically harder for them to get positions in the system. Hence lower seniority. Hence higher lay-offs Even the try-to-hards can see that. That's not me implying the bandage chosen heals the wounds.

Wrong.

Unless they were being terminated explicitly due to their race it's not the same.
What do you mean wrong? They cant be pissed about it? Since when do you arbitrate what people can be pissed about?

First, nobody said anything about less capable. It has already been established that performance is not considered. Second, you would have to be a moron to not consider demographics when building an organization. Any entity operating in anything outside a sandbox knows that when competing in a diverse environment, there is tremendous value in building similar characteristics into an organization. You obviously have not built or led a thing.

merlin_67592153.jpg

JERRY HOLT, STAR TRIBUNE

'A small piece'

More work ahead

It is important to note that this provision is not just about race but could be applied to gender or any other "under represented group". That said, protecting diversity in this manner is not smart. It is much better to accomplish that goal in the hiring process, not during termination.

Haven't read the article yet. Just curious, are they saying that they are firing individuals with 20+ years of service at one school and keeping workers with 5 years of experience at another school in the district? That doesn't seem to be normal. I would think that schools that have cuts would move those with seniority over to another school in the district and bump someone with less experience.
Good point. You'd have to look at their contract language to see the area each seniority list covers.

For example, in the Postal Service the contract states seniority goes by which "installation" you're in. The Columbus OH installation covers two large processing buildings, plus all of the Cols 432 city stations - all the clerks there are part of one seniority roster no matter which building they're in. Could be Minneapolis has separate lists for each building, or they have separate seniority lists for job bidding vs. layoffs.

"Judge not a person by the color of their skin but by the content of their character"

Phrase thats been lost by all democrats.

Reactions: y2h