Whats it going to take for Plain Local to support Softball

IceDad34

It just amazes me how a school district as large as our gets NO support for softball. What can we do as parents to help out ? I know the school looks at Sports as extracurrical but it is going to help my daughter pay for college. I know pay to play really hurt us but we cant do anything to off set that???? I see how the football field and football program is getting all the attention so why not spread that to all the sports ? Pretty soon , nobody will play softball at GlenOak.:confused:
John Newsome

Last edited:

John what you have to remember is winning breeds support...There is a good core of girls out there and i wish nothing but success to them...

I understand what you are saying , but the football program hasnt been nothing to write home about lately. Dont get me wrong, I love seeing the new stadium and cant wait to see my boy play in it one day but I think the female athletics get way over looked. There has got to be a way to make it better. Everyone just says transfer, but I dont want my daughter to transfer.

bluepride hit the nail on the head. Everyone loves a winner. On the flip side, what type of support are you looking for? I am not sure how much support Girls Softball gets anywhere. If you look at the Baseball program and their facilities, that is a product of a great support group and coaches who rolled their sleeves up and got it done. It sounds like you are willing to do the same but it takes more than one person. I would assume you were involved in the building of the dugouts at the softball field. If so, that is a great first step. The installation of the scoreboard will be another step in the right direction. Fundraising and volunteers are key to getting things going. It is tough to get things turned around with no JV and no freshman teams. You have to wonder if the coach is doing everything he can to make it a program rather than just a team. You mention the football team and its support. It has gained much more support since the hiring of Scott Garcia. He has jumped in to not only turn around the football team, but he has been instumental in fundraising as well as the midget football program. Time, time, time. Good Luck and hopefully you can be a big part of getting things on the right track.

I hear ya , but its gonna take way more than me. I coach a travel ball team so I stay out so no one thinks I am stepping on anybodies toes.

John Newsome

John ...still someone has to start somewhere....there is nothing wrong with a pioneer...But Champion nailed it when he said ' It tough to get it turned around with no JV or Freshmen team"

Experience breeds winning, which breeds support!!!

I appreciate the responces but it looks like there is no answer as long as pay to play is at GlenOak. By then my daughter will be graduated. Hopefully someone can get it going.

It is deeper than pay to play. You can still win with pay to play. First you need a coach that cares, is respected and wants to roll up their sleeves to get things done. You need parents like yourself that get involved to fix what is broken rather than complain about it being broke. It has to be more than just a couple of parents but that is a start. If you have a couple of parents who stick around to help after their kid graduates and a couple who have kids playing in the lower levels that start to get involved, then you start to build your own support.

What are the numbers like in Holly Hills and Plain Local? I know they combined this year but where is the drop off? Are the girls dropping off at the 9th grade level or before?

As I said before, you are not going to get a bunch of "support" for softball when it is barely a varsity sport at this time. Hopefully, your daughter and yourself will be a part of getting things turned around. I believe at one time, GlenOak had a pretty good softball program. Heather Lyke who played in the 80's went on to play at Michigan. Have any of those past players been brought back to talk to the girls? That is where I would start if I was the coach.

whats it gonna take???
a state championship/actually GOOD team
same with baseball
theyve been below .500 for a while now