What would you Change or Create for the Rules of the Game?

LCL

This can be simple or it can be crazy, whatever you think the game needs or would be an attention grabber.

Some ideas that I have about the game:

1) No booth reviews. All challenges are completely dependent on the coach. He gets 3 for the entire game. He loses a challenge if he loses, He keeps the challenge if he wins it.
2) Shorten the play clock to 30 seconds. This will speed up the game of play, forcing the offense and defense to hurry and get lined up before snapping the ball.
3) Give the kicker more of an incentive on the kickoffs. The team earns a point or two if he can knock it through the uprights.
4) If you want to make Kickoffs safer, then lets take out the running on the field. Kickoff Return team lines up in a formation in between the numbers. The Kickoff team has to line up directly on them. Go Man on Man, reinforces the importance of getting and staying on blocks just like when they play offense or defense.
5) The game is a continuous running clock. Only stops on scoring plays, challenges and timeouts. Restarts when the whistle is blown for the Kickoff.
6) Overtime rules like hockey. Each kicker starts at the 15 yard line. Back up 5 yards every time a kick is made until the opposing kicker misses. Both kickers miss on the same try, move up 1 yard until the opposing kicker misses.

They are really crazy ideas for rules, but I honestly like the kickoff "rule" myself. I could see Special Teams coordinators coming up with all kinds of different Kickoff Return Formations to score, and it would be interesting if the kicker was rewarded for kicking through the uprights on a kickoff. As far as a Hockey style OT, I would be very upset that I lost because my kicker screwed up.

No offense, but none of those sound good.
The continuous clock idea is really bad even without considering the lack of commercial revenue from broadcasts.

Next will be a debate on the HS basketball forum about a shot clock.?

Stop the clock to move the chains
Player who scores TD has to take XP from nearest hash to where the ball crossed the goalline. Kick off a tee from the 5 yard line
OT in regular season is 15 minutes, one guaranteed possession for each team
OT in post season is a full 15 minute quarter
Move kickoff back to the 30

Last edited:
I like the play clock 30 second rule but none of the other ones in OP.

just 1 rule for me - no more on field official reviews unless it’s a challenge by one of the coaches. The officials on the field can call for a review but it should be sent to New York. There’s enough cameras and technology is good/fast enough that a crew in New York should be able to determine what happened, if anything should be reversed, how much time and where the ball should be placed within 30 seconds. Now that I’ve typed it out: drop the coaches challenge part from my rule. All reviews should be done in New York and done in 30 seconds or less.

End the point of foul yardage for pass interference.

A team shouldn't be handed the ball at the one yard line because a guy MIGHT have caught a pass.

Can the two minute warning.

Official: "Everybody stop. I'm here to warn you that there are two minutes left."
Me: "Yeah, everybody here here can see the clock, we don't need warned, let's keep playing."

#1 without a doubt should be getting rid of the offensive player fumbling into and then out of the other teams end zone and the ball automatically goes to the defense. I think offense should retain the ball from the point of the fumble if the defense cannot recover in bounds, happens everywhere else on the field.

I am ok with the current NFL replay rules, it seems to move much quicker than NCAA and they tend to get most calls right quickly.

On OT I like it as a full 10-15 minutes, no sudden death. That way a good defense or running team can still bleed the clock and one quick TD doesn't end a lot of work.

I am willing to trade TV timeouts on change of possession for advertising on the field or banners on the broadcast. I want to see the game move along quicker and it gives incentive for players to be in shape and coaches to be able to adjust quickly during change of possessions. How cool would it be for a team to come up with a huge 4th down stop and less than a minute later they are running an offensive play.

Move kickoff back to the 30

Yea, something has to be done with the kickoff, it's almost pointless anymore. Touchback, penalty, injury. I'd even be OK with radical changes.........10 on the kickoff team, 11 on the return team........anything to spruce it up a bit.

Yea, something has to be done with the kickoff, it's almost pointless anymore. Touchback, penalty, injury. I'd even be OK with radical changes.........10 on the kickoff team, 11 on the return team........anything to spruce it up a bit.

I said this on the other thread …. The tweak I would like to see is a 25 second clock instead of the 40 second and shorter quarters … and have a hockey like substitution method … where players can be running off the field at the snap as long as the don’t interfere with the play … this would speed up the game, and to me, much more interesting to watch … could have same amount of plays in less time.
…. I would also stop the clock after first downs (like college) but only for the last two minutes of each half.
… I would use the system one of start up leagues used on the KO … where the kicker was on the 30 but the rest of the kick team was on 50 … and if they kicked into the end one the ball came out to the 40 … or something like that.

Isn't there already an incentive for kickoffs that kickers are not taking advantage of? The kickoff is done from the 35 and the touchback comes out to the 25. If the kicker makes the kickoff returnable instead of booting it through end zone, aren't the odds pretty good that the kicking team will make the tackle before the runner reaches the 25?

+1 for shortening the play clock.

Overtime … both teams get the ball, but the second team with the ball must go for the win if possible …
for example … Team A gets the ball first and scores a TD & decides to kick the PAT … that means Team B must go for two if they score
or … if Team A kicks a FG on the first position, Team B is not allowed to kick a FG on their possession
…. The only way the game goes beyond the first two possession if both teams don’t score or both team score a TD and 2 pt conversion
… after the first two possessions, it is sudden death.

Get rid of the illegal double-team block on kickoffs. Kick-off from the 30 again instead of the 35. Change Washington's name back to the Redskins.

Too many punts & FG's.........

Limit each team to 2 punts per half and 2 FG attempts per half! Makes for some interesting decision making!

And I agree with Auggie on the following........
"#1 without a doubt should be getting rid of the offensive player fumbling into and then out of the other teams end zone and the ball automatically goes to the defense. I think offense should retain the ball from the point of the fumble if the defense cannot recover in bounds, happens everywhere else on the field."

Get rid of the illegal double-team block on kickoffs. Kick-off from the 30 again instead of the 35. Change Washington's name back to the Redskins.
I say change the name back to the Washington Football Team!
I'm still disappointed the Cleveland Indians didn't go with "the Cleveland Baseball Team"

Last edited:
End the point of foul yardage for pass interference.

A team shouldn't be handed the ball at the one yard line because a guy MIGHT have caught a pass.
This and I would end all tackling restrictions other than face mask and horse collar. True spearing, as well. Anything else goes. To restrict defenses with these crazy tackling rules and to expect refs to enforce these split second interactions in real time is preposterous. Here’s the deal. Football is a brutal, physical combat sport. Nobody is forcing you to play for pay. You choose to sign a pro contract you know the injury risk and career duration issues going in. If those things worry you then move on in life to a less harsh career.

A very simple and easy rule change for football would be to penalize late contact. The game is all about keeping players safe. How many times in games do we see a player on the ground or goings to the ground get hit unnecessarily? At least a dozen times a game and it's only called if it's egregious. Also, have the side judges equipped with ear pieces and have a chip in the ball to detect forward progress so the ball can be spotted correctly. Too many times the official is busy determining the spot and it's a coin flip at best.

They've taken every bit of excitement out of the extra point in the name of player safety. At this point they might as well abolish it and let the teams start at the 25. I guess they could implement the Canadian football rouge point for an unreturned kick into the end zone or a ball kicked out of the back of the end zone!

Rule change, get rid of the Rooney rule. It's done nothing but muddy the waters. An entity should be able to interview and hire whomever they want! Sports are color blind. Jackie Robinson played major league baseball in 1947, not 1997. This happened 74 years ago!!! Pro sports teams want to WIN!!!! They will hire whomever helps them win!! The Browns just signed a guy to over $200 million guaranteed money who has 22 civil suits against him...and he's black!! Stop the madness!!!

I would add a 3 pt play. Move the ball back to the 4 yard line for the conversion. I say only move it back 2 more yards bc it’s probably easier for Offenses to convert of it gets pushed back to the 8-10 yd like, more space to throw the ball.

Do you also add automatic first down to PI? right now in highschool its just 15 yards not an automatic 1st down. I get why the NFL made it a spot foul, but it's ridiculous to have a TD handed to the offense bc week to week the covering official interprets the rule and what they see differently than the previous guy. Also the officials seem so concerned with how they're graded they don't have a gray area with the rules, it's either Black or White. A little common sense will take you a long way.

I also hate how they spot the ball on close plays in the middle of the field. How many times do you see a wing official run in with the spot only to step around a player to get to the ball? Run in until you feel pressure and have the Umpire throw the ball to said official.

To me the problem is defenders are getting called for PI when they are hand fighting with the WR … to me this should be called Defensive Holding instead … PI should only be called for egregious plays, like intentionally tackling the receiver to save a TD … I know this gives the officials more to judge, but so be it … to me it solves the ticky tack calls that end up in 50 yard gains … the main problem with PI