What was your fav radio station when you were growing up?

I grew up in a family that did not have radio for religious reasons. So I had a little RCA 9 volt battery transistor radio AM only. That little radio was my escape out into the world, but could only pick up 4 stations , 700 WLW Cincinnati, 1410 WING Dayton, 980 WONE Dayton, 1290 WHIO Dayton. My favorite station by far was WLW. Still is.

WTVN-AM in Columbus when I was growing up, because that's the only station my parents had on.

WCOL-AM my freshman year of HS - first exposure to the Top 40 pop/rock scene

The rest of high school was a dead heat among WCOL (AM and FM), WNCI, and WTVN.

WTUE in Dayton. Morning show was Shawn (Scott) and Dan (Pugh, now known as Dan Patrick). Dan's brother Bill was also with the station and was arguably their best on-air talent. The station's softball team, the Masterbatters, would often play the bands and their crews when they came into town.

I started out listening to WMOH in Hamilton, then later either WSAI in Cincinnati or WING in Dayton. Late nights we could get WLAC in Nashville and would listen to DJ John R play RnB music. I also loved to listen to Waite Hoyt announce Reds' games on WLW.

wmmsmushroomlogosf_122736_preview_1083_85_natural.png

Cleveland was a crazy place in the late '70s and WMMS was the soundtrack of the times. A personal favorite was the coffee break concerts, I was in school during most so I remember a friend's brother would tape them and we would listen the next day riding to school. Great times.

WTUE in Dayton. Morning show was Shawn (Scott) and Dan (Pugh, now known as Dan Patrick). Dan's brother Bill was also with the station and was arguably their best on-air talent. The station's softball team, the Masterbatters, would often play the bands and their crews when they came into town.
Same Bill Pugh who went to Q-FM 96 in Columbus?

WGCL 98.5 in Cleveland with Uncle Vic on Sunday nights. Sometimes the Bag Man would show up.

WNPQ 95.9, I think out of New Philadelphia(?), back in the 80s with the Dr. Sam metal show also on Sunday nights. My first exposure to Metallica.

Best - WMMS 100.7

Worst - WDMT 107.9

Both out of Cleveland.

In the late 80s WNCD 106.1 out of Niles came out and was great. Casey Malone sounded so hot with her raspy voice…then I met her and realized that wasn’t the case lol. WNCD is now at 93.3 and isn’t as good these days, IMO.

Best - WMMS 100.7

Worst - WDMT 107.9

Both out of Cleveland.

In the late 80s WNCD 106.1 out of Niles came out and was great. Casey Malone sounded so hot with her raspy voice…then I met her and realized that wasn’t the case lol. WNCD is now at 93.3 and isn’t as good these days, IMO.
What years are you talking about when referring to WDMT? They changed formats around 87. So depending on your music choices whether you liked it or not

Before I discovered FM in the early 70's the only option was WSAI in Cincinnati which had all of the top 40 rock hits. When at summer camp at Camp Hook in the Dayton area I listened to WING which was very similar. WSAI was very approachable and my friends and I would sometimes walk up to their studio at night and hang out with Casey Piotrowski who would come out between songs. In 1973 I discovered WEBN and that became my go to. I used to love their fake commercials from "Brute Force Cybernetics", their annual Fools Day Parade, the News Brothers and I fell in love with the sultry voice of Robyn Woods of the Dawn Patrol. Their annual Album Project introduced me to all of the best local bands. I followed them from Price's Mountain to Hyde's Meadow

From one of their Album Projects, A Bus Full of Nuns Holding Babies. Even the father of Cincinnati TV news, Al Schottelkotte got into the act:

As a young kid, if I was around a radio it was probably with my parents, so it would have been 700 WLW or 103.5 WGRR.

As a teen, Q102 and Kiss 107.

In college, 99.7 The Blitz in Columbus.

Youbpreferred

Did you prefer 93.1 over 88.1?. The Soul of Akron
88.1 only played soul music for about 4 hours a day, the rest of the day they were heavy rock, at least during my formative years. Before 93.1 I can remember 107.9 WDMT being our families choice (I say family because at that age I listened to whatever my parents turned it to).

When I was younger WIXY 1260.

Then WMMS, and WNCX for music.

For talk, WERE was where I first heard Pete Franklin and Gary Dee, "People Power".

Seems it may get a bit awkward watching the masterbatters play with each other.

Cleveland's WMMS in the '70's turned out to be historically epic.

I also liked WDVE in Pittsburgh. On Sunday nights they had a very good comedy hour with bits by Bill Cosby, Monty Python, George Carlin, and many others. They also carried Dr. Demento's comedy show.

Cleveland's WMMS in the '70's turned out to be historically epic.
Never got to listen to it back then, but would have liked to. I believe they regularly advertised in the OSU Lantern when I started going there in mid to late 70's. Never understood why they advertised in Columbus, but maybe some folks could pick up the signal here on a good night. I never tried.

The logo of that crazy buzzard riding a skateboard stood out.

WQKT - 104.5 FM

Still one of my favorites. Lots of local high school sports, Ohio State/Cleveland sports, and calls all the HS football and boys/girls basketball state championships.

Never got to listen to it back then, but would have liked to. I believe they regularly advertised in the OSU Lantern when I started going there in mid to late 70's. Never understood why they advertised in Columbus, but maybe some folks could pick up the signal here on a good night. I never tried.

The logo of that crazy buzzard riding a skateboard stood out.
I'll never forget the Bruce Springsteen concert to commemorate the station's 10th anniversary. It was broadcast live.