What was bad or worst Year of Christmas you ever had?

Just wondering, I’m not here to bash Christmas. I just wondering as far as your Holidays go, do you usually have a Nice and Merry Christmas!! Or is it more like a tough and hard and bad Christmas maybe? Just wondering if maybe there was a person in your life one time that may have messed up or made your Christmas not happy?

Last year on Christmas Day my mother-in-law passed away at the age of 93, and I was saddened, but my wife was devastated. She was quite active and still mowed portions of her 6 acres up until a few months before her death. She was a strong, proud, independent widow who was steeled by the Depression years and the loss of her mother at the age of 13.

Many years ago when I was 12 and my dad passed away Christmas morning. Instead of waking up with the childhood eagerness of wanting to see what was under the tree, I was awakened by the sound of the funeral director discussing plans with my mom.

Christmas came with a pall for many years after that.

I can't begin to imagine what that was like. My initial guess would be the biggest things to cast a pall over the Christmas season are the death of a close family member, or a divorce/breakup. Also losing a house to a fire caused by lights.

Two years ago our holidays were dampened because my father went into the hospital just before Thanksgiving and had to spend all of December and part of January living in a rehab facility. We brought in a small tree with lights and decorated his room with cards, but it still depressed him.

Last night he and I were talking about his time in the Air Force, of which he spent the last two years in Japan without any time off to come home for a short visit. "Two Christmases," he kept saying. "I lost two Christmases to the military." I had to admit, it was a sacrifice I've never felt.

Last edited:
Many years ago when I was 12 and my dad passed away Christmas morning. Instead of waking up with the childhood eagerness of wanting to see what was under the tree, I was awakened by the sound of the funeral director discussing plans with my mom.

Christmas came with a pall for many years after that.
:( that must have been absolutely horribe for you. Sorry.

A death on or around a holiday has to be the worst.

I would say my least favorite Christmas's were the ones between all of us kids being older and before nieces and nephews came upon the scene.

Christmas is always better when children are involved. Now there are 13 nieces and nephews around, and all of us kids are now adults it has been great talking about the olden days and watching the next generation all excited for the holidays. I think that is why Thanksgiving this year was the best in my memory!

Christmas is always better when children are involved.
Testify.

I had a seismic shift when I turned 19 and got a job at the old Gold Circle retail chain. That year the Christmas spirit I had been hanging onto since I was a child slipped through my fingers, and I couldn't get it back. Dealing with the crush of stressed out shoppers, the constant re-stocking of toys on shelves, and hearing the same five Christmas tunes on the Muzak every day may have had something to with it. When the holiday returns were over, it occurred to me that I had missed out on the seasonal joy I used to feel each previous year.

Had to grow up sometime, I guess. And I did learn to enjoy celebrating through a more mature and sophisticated lens. But yeah, when our sons were old enough to enjoy the anticipation, I did get to experience some of that childhood magic again, even if it was vicarious. And even that ended sooner than we wanted it too. Hopefully I'll become a grandfather one day while I still have some mental faculty left and get some of that holiday magic back again for short visit. :cool:

Years ago, my father passed away a month before Christmas at the age of 63, died two weeks after finding out he had a brain tumor. My girlfriend who I was going to marry (and she pressed for an engagement before she left) was away studying abroad for the quarter. She came back a week before Christmas...broke up with me a week after Christmas (terribly hurtful way and time)...got engaged 10 months later to some guy she met overseas.

Fast forward...25 years. She gets divorced and marry's my brother. Yea..I'm serious.

Years ago, my father passed away a month before Christmas at the age of 63, died two weeks after finding out he had a brain tumor. My girlfriend who I was going to marry (and she pressed for an engagement before she left) was away studying abroad for the quarter. She came back a week before Christmas...broke up with me a week after Christmas (terribly hurtful way and time)...got engaged 10 months later to some guy she met overseas.

Fast forward...25 years. She gets divorced and marry's my brother. Yea..I'm serious.

Double whammy, secondary impact, AND a plot twist? Wow.

For a second there I thought you were going to say that the GF got engaged to that broad she was studying. Okay, that was bad. At least she had the decency to wait almost a year before the engagement.

Double whammy, secondary impact, AND a plot twist? Wow.

For a second there I thought you were going to say that the GF got engaged to that broad she was studying. Okay, that was bad. At least she had the decency to wait almost a year before the engagement.
It literally killed me for years and changed who I was. Nothing could have been more painful than that...

So glad for that.
I am grateful. I can't convey how hurt I was though...I mean, my father dies...she conveys no sadness for me in phone or mail. The two weeks she spent with me before the breakup...no comfort and then she sneaks her new bro into town and I find out about it only by her brother who kindly fills me in on what's going on.

So..I deal with the loss of my father and then the loss of a girl that I dearly loved (all during my first quarter away at college besides). It broke me.

I am grateful. I can't convey how hurt I was though...I mean, my father dies...she conveys no sadness for me in phone or mail. The two weeks she spent with me before the breakup...no comfort and then she sneaks her new bro into town and I find out about it only by her brother who kindly fills me in on what's going on.

So..I deal with the loss of my father and then the loss of a girl that I dearly loved (all during my first quarter away at college besides). It broke me.
No, it made you!

I do....it took awhile for me to get over the "betrayal". Now that she's not the hottie she once was...makes it pretty easy to forget :) Unanswered prayers. I got very lucky to get the lovely wife I have. Great mom...great wife.
You from West Virginia?
Oh wait, you mean she is a grea wife, and a great mom to the kids. Thought maybe she was one in the same....

A death on or around a holiday has to be the worst.

I would say my least favorite Christmas's were the ones between all of us kids being older and before nieces and nephews came upon the scene.

Christmas is always better when children are involved. Now there are 13 nieces and nephews around, and all of us kids are now adults it has been great talking about the olden days and watching the next generation all excited for the holidays. I think that is why Thanksgiving this year was the best in my memory!

I have never had a bad Christmas.
I was going to make a reply and thavoice said my feelings very well. Someday they will be talking about us!

Xmas 2018. My dad had undiagnosed stage 4 esphogeal (sic) cancer that wasn't discovered until he a second stroke in November. He passed way literally 8 days after diagnoses, the night before Thanksgiving. My dad was my hero and the ultimate grandpa. He was the glue for our family and the extended family. He could make anyone feel like a million bucks and always had a funny story to share.

Some thing about this popped into my mind last night about this subject.

We have had Santa show up on Christmas Eve since the 80's. A few years ago when the neices and nephews would go tell him what they wanted one of my nephews said something that still makes me a bit emotional.

He suffers from childhood arthrititis for as long as we can remember. He lives a normal life for the most part but has days when he is just so sore. The one year when Santa asked what he wanted for Christmas and he answered 'To find a cure for arthritis so he doesnt have to hurt every day'.
The room was just silent and to this day it brings a tear to my eye!

Oregon. Thought that was obvious.?
It was. I was just being obnoxious. Afterwards I Googled it and found that there are Portlands in 17 states. Then I discovered that Portland cement was named for its resemblance to Portland stone quarried on England's Isle of Portland. I also found a list of 47 reasons not to move to Portland, Oregon.

It was. I was just being obnoxious. Afterwards I Googled it and found that there are Portlands in 17 states. Then I discovered that Portland cement was named for its resemblance to Portland stone quarried on England's Isle of Portland. I also found a list of 47 reasons not to move to Portland, Oregon.
I assumed you were being obnoxious but sometimes it hard to discern.? Portland was a pretty cool place when I lived there. Had a very liberal vibe but people were not overwrought about politics and social issues like today. Not sure I would survive long there now.