What Movies Did You Watch in January 2023?

White Noise (2022) 2.5/8 Adam Driver and Greta Gerwig are good in the lead roles, but I really have no idea what I watched or what the movie was really about. They seemed to break it up into 3 stories, but the stories are only loosely tied together. I don't know, maybe someone else can offer a better explanation but I didn't really like it.

The Invitation (2022) 4/8 After the death of her parents, a young woman with no family left take a genealogy test in an attempt to find any estranged family members. She discovers they are out there and gets more than she bargains for when they invite her to England for a wedding that turns out to be her own. Pretty slow until the last 30 minutes or so when the vampires show up, then it gets interesting.

Reservoir Dogs (1992) 8/8 A classic. Great cast, great story, great dialogue, and one of the better soundtracks of all time.

Smile (2022) 6/8 I liked this one. An entity haunts a woman after she witnesses the suicide of one of her patients. Plenty of jump scare moments and some of the mental horror that newer movies take on.

White Noise (2022) 2.5/8 Adam Driver and Greta Gerwig are good in the lead roles, but I really have no idea what I watched or what the movie was really about. They seemed to break it up into 3 stories, but the stories are only loosely tied together. I don't know, maybe someone else can offer a better explanation but I didn't really like it.
I turned this one off after about 20 minutes.

Movies today are brutal.

Glass Onion (Knives Out) 6/8 - Fun, cheesy story with some good characters. Always interesting to have a movie with pretty much zero likable characters.

Small Town Crime (2017) ... 5.0/8

I was drawn to this movie simply by the Nova. 68-72 Nova, well, actually a 73 but it was made to look like an older version.... well this Nova gets lots of screen time and gets involved in a shootout. Don't worry... just some cosmetic damage and the Nova keeps moving!!!!!!!

I turned this one off after about 20 minutes.

Movies today are brutal.

Same here, we gave it just about 20. Didn't get it at all.

GLASS ONION was OK, wife liked it a bit more than I did.

ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT was very graphic, yet well done. I thought it better than the 30's and 70's versions.

The Strings (Canada-2020)

Horror Drama: Don't read the premise as listed on IMDB or else you will be disappointed by it. Catherine is a young musician who has left for the isolation of Prince Edward Canada in the dead of winter. She has left her band and I assume boyfriend and is staying at her aunts house alone to work on new experimental music. Following a photography shoot with her friend Grace at a remote farmhouse Catherine becomes aware of a presence at the place she is staying. This is a very slow burn but one that drew me in. I can relate to the music and the pain/struggles she is going through. No known actors what so ever and mostly isolated..... 5.5/8

Glass Onion (2022) 5/8 Great ensemble cast and Daniel Craig once again is great as Benoit Blanc. Not as good and a bit more predictable than Knives Out but still entertaining and worth watching.

Busanhaeng 2: Bando (S. Korea-2020)

Horror: Stand alone sequel to Train to Busan. Actually is the 3rd installment. Here we have a sort of "Escape from New York" mixed with some "Mad Max" with a horde of zombies to get things moving. This one takes place 4 years after the zombie outbreak in South Korea. With the Country pretty much demolished and evacuated Jung decides to return there in order to retrieve 20 million in cash but finds that the living may be more dangerous than the dead. The major problem with this one is the CGI which is quite poor. While the original is one of the best Zombie flicks ever this one falls well short of that.... 4.5/8

sidenote..... an American remake of the original "Train to Busan" is in the works called "Train to New York" ... I am quite worried about how much they can screw up this near perfect film.

Stagecoach (1939) - A great movie from the greatest year in movie history. John Ford directed and featuring one of the best performances of John Wayne.

7/8

Inside Man (2006) 4.5/8 Never watched this on before. Clive Owen plays a bank robber looking to out the bank owner and get rich at the same time. Denzel Washington plays the detective trying to stop him and Jodie Foster plays some kind of powerful woman trying to protect the bank owners interest. Denzel played a solid role and Owen was good as the bad guy, but I didn't like the ending and I thought more could have been done with Foster's character.

Inside Man (2006) 4.5/8 Never watched this on before. Clive Owen plays a bank robber looking to out the bank owner and get rich at the same time. Denzel Washington plays the detective trying to stop him and Jodie Foster plays some kind of powerful woman trying to protect the bank owners interest. Denzel played a solid role and Owen was good as the bad guy, but I didn't like the ending and I thought more could have been done with Foster's character.

Great movie

I haven’t watched it but there’s a sequel on Netflix. Different cast tho.

Friday the 13th Part 3 (1982) ... 4.5/8

<rewatch> Seen this one multiple times and like it better than when it originally came out. Despite the weak story we do see Jason for the first time in the hockey mask......

Glass Onion (Knives Out) 6/8 - Fun, cheesy story with some good characters. Always interesting to have a movie with pretty much zero likable characters.

This is playing on TNT .... is it safe to watch in TNT (that is will it be uncut or is there stuff in the movie (nudity, cursing.... that will get cut or bleeped? ) ?

This is playing on TNT .... is it safe to watch in TNT (that is will it be uncut or is there stuff in the movie (nudity, cursing.... that will get cut or bleeped? ) ?
I’m honestly not sure, I’m sure it will naturally be edited for TV just in general. I would just watch it on Netflix if you can.

It’s a PG-13 movie in general, so I doubt they need to cut much other than fitting it into TV format.

I’m honestly not sure, I’m sure it will naturally be edited for TV just in general. I would just watch it on Netflix if you can.

It’s a PG-13 movie in general, so I doubt they need to cut much other than fitting it into TV format.

I won't have Netflix until a few months..... next up is a free month of Paramount+ .... waiting for 1923 to finish before getting it..... Hopefully I will remember to watch it then....

Apocalypse: WWII (2009) - 8/8

Six part documentary narrated by Martin Sheen. Each episode is roughly 45 minutes. I've seen a bunch of WWII docs but never this one. There is obviously a lot of history involved with WWII and this did a great job. It moves relatively fast, followed a chronological line, and named most of the key players. Very well done IMO.

Sick (2022)

Horror: A couple of girls get away to quarantine at a remote lake cottage during the covid outbreak. Someone though wants them dead. I won't rant which I really want to do but it will give away spoilers. Anyhow, this one went down hill especially when we learn the motive..... 3.0/8

Knives Out (2019) ... 5.5/8

OK, I was confused. Did not know there were two different movies and thought Glass Onion and Knives Out were the same movie. Oh well, found this one on TNT completely uncensored.

OK, I was confused. Did not know there were two different movies and thought Glass Onion and Knives Out were the same movie. Oh well, found this one on TNT completely uncensored.

ha, yes two different movies in the same budding franchise tied together by the same detective.

I was wondering when you mentioned TNT - I was going to guess that it was the original, not Glass Onion, which I think it Netflix only right now.

I liked the original a lot better than the second one.

I was wondering when you mentioned TNT - I was going to guess that it was the original, not Glass Onion, which I think it Netflix only right now.

I liked the original a lot better than the second one.

Correct, Netflix owns and produced the second one (and the forthcoming 3rd one).

Night Shift (1982)

Comedy. Henry Winkler, Michael Keaton, Shelly Long, and a couple of others.

Winkler and Keaton run a prostitution service out of the New York City morgue. Long is the #1 girl, and Winkler's love interest. Keaton (in his first starring role) played Winkler's partner......an "over the top" entrepreneur.

I hadn't seen this one in just about 40 years, it was better than I recalled. Winkler was excellent.

Angels in the Outfield (1994)

Typical cheesy 90s kids sports movies. Despite all the "names" in the cast (Leavitt, Glover, Danza, Brody, McConaughey, Lloyd, and Academy Award winner Brenda Fricker), very little in the way of memorable characters. Really distracting how in every game shot even after the Angels start playing well, there are huge sections of empty stadium seats in the back. Felt cheaper than I remembered. "Rookie of the Year" is much better.

3.9/8

The Jungle Book (1967)

The Disney 2D animation... come to find out there are LOTS of film adaptations to the story. Boy I really did enjoy this and so did my kids. The music is very ear-wormy, not just "Bare Necessities" and "I Wanna Be Like You", but the opening credit tune has a nice melody as well as the "fetch the water" tune at the end. Some solid slap stick comedy and mostly very memorable characters (couldn't get into the British vultures much). Disney+ has disclaimer at the beginning about "racist depictions" which I assume must mean the jazz-singing monkeys and orangutans which I don't think was all that necessary.

6.6/8

The Jungle Book (1967)

The Disney 2D animation... come to find out there are LOTS of film adaptations to the story. Boy I really did enjoy this and so did my kids. The music is very ear-wormy, not just "Bare Necessities" and "I Wanna Be Like You", but the opening credit tune has a nice melody as well as the "fetch the water" tune at the end. Some solid slap stick comedy and mostly very memorable characters (couldn't get into the British vultures much). Disney+ has disclaimer at the beginning about "racist depictions" which I assume must mean the jazz-singing monkeys and orangutans which I don't think was all that necessary.

6.6/8

If I'm not mistaken, it's Public Domain.

So like Cinderella, Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, and Pinocchio (had 2 versions come out this year), there are a lot of different versions out there throughout history as anyone, even you or I, could go and use the story to make a movie.

If I'm not mistaken, it's Public Domain.

So like Cinderella, Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, and Pinocchio (had 2 versions come out this year), there are a lot of different versions out there throughout history as anyone, even you or I, could go and use the story to make a movie.
There's like 20+ film adaptations to Pinocchio. It's insane.

A Wounded Fawn (2022)

Horror: A serial killer lures a woman to his remote cottage in the woods. A Wounded Fawn is played out in two acts. One pretty straight forward while the other turns into a surreal artsy affair. This one had its ups and downs but overall pretty solid art film.... 5.0/8