What Movies Did You Watch in February 2023?

The Day the Wind Blew (Japan-2021)

Romance/Drama w/ horror elements: Not really a horror movie but it is together in a horror collection.... A school girl meets an up and coming pop singer someone who she admires and they have a connection but something is amiss for both of them... 5.0/8

The Rats are Coming! The Werewolves are Here! (UK-1972)

Horror: Of course the title got me interested and the year made and it was a must watch. Ok, this one was weird. We are in the 19th Century and we meet the Mooney family. They are constantly bickering and something is definitely not right. When the younger daughter returns home with her new boyfriend he is told he needs to leave, especially before the full moon. No surprises here especially by how bad this one was..... 2.5/8

watched the 1st part of a 2 part series on Bill Russell last night on Netflix, pretty good, while it was just a little before my time, it has great old video of the Celtics and what he went thru.... by the way Bob Cousy was dang good....
I watched this 2 part series and thought it was excellent. At my house, with my Irish Dad, Sunday afternoons in the late 60’s in the winter were the Celtics vs Wilt or the Lakers (before and after Wilt). My Dad was a huge admirer of Russell…the player and the man…why my Dad felt that way about Russell (which I was losing over these many decades) comes out fully in this series.

He was a complicated and thoughtful guy…angry about the status of race relations and his own treatment in Boston (and you end up understanding/supporting his point of view)…

Looks like he lost his way a bit after he retired and then softened and opened up in his later years…accepted the love…much of it was always there.

Two observations…

1. The general eloquence of so many of these guys, even in their playing years…Sanders, Russell, Cousy, Sam Jones...West, Bradley, Walt Frazier in later years. Makes you wonder about “progress”.

2. For those who want to argue the simple case (stats) of Wilt’s greatness (that he should viewed as THE greatest of all time or VERY close to #1), this series does a good job of giving the younger crowd some context of the counter argument about Wilt…e.g., game 7, 1969...Wilt has a knee injury of questionable severity in a game that the Celtics are cruising in late. Wilt takes himself out. Mel Counts (his picture is next to ”journeyman” in the dictionary) comes in, does a good job…the Lakers storm back. Wilt (through an intermediary), informs Butch van Breda Koff that he wants to go back in. Butch…”F—- him”. Tells you a lot about how this coach…and others...felt about coaching Wilt.

Last edited:
Lost Battalion 7.5/8

WW1 movie based on real events; American battalion gets trapped behind German lines. Never ceases to amaze me the bravery and courage of some people in the face of almost certain death.

I watched this 2 part series and thought it was excellent. At my house, with my Irish Dad, Sunday afternoons in the late 60’s in the winter were the Celtics vs Wilt or the Lakers (before and after Wilt). My Dad was a huge admirer of Russell…the player and the man…why my Dad felt that way about Russell (which I was losing over these many decades) comes out fully in this series.

He was a complicated and thoughtful guy…angry about the status of race relations and his own treatment in Boston (and you end up understanding/supporting his point of view)…

Looks like he lost his way a bit after he retired and then softened and opened up in his later years…accepted the love…much of it was always there.

Two observations…

1. The general eloquence of so many of these guys, even in their playing years…Sanders, Russell, Cousy, Sam Jones...West, Bradley, Walt Frazier in later years. Makes you wonder about “progress”.

2. For those who want to argue the simple case (stats) of Wilt’s greatness (that he should viewed as THE greatest of all time or VERY close to #1), this series does a good job of giving the younger crowd some context of the counter argument about Wilt…e.g., game 7, 1969...Wilt has a knee injury of questionable severity in a game that the Celtics are cruising in late. Wilt takes himself out. Mel Counts (his picture is next to ”journeyman” in the dictionary) comes in, does a good job…the Lakers storm back. Wilt (through an intermediary), informs Butch van Breda Koff that he wants to go back in. Butch…”F—- him”. Tells you a lot about how this coach…and others...felt about coaching Wilt.
so i saw that he had two sons, do you know anything about them, during the show, they talked with his daughter a lot. Nothing was said about his first wife.... or the widow , that talked a lot during the show

Two observations…

very interesting about when Wilt went to the bench... and then tried to get himself back on the court...

so i saw that he had two sons, do you know anything about them, during the show, they talked with his daughter a lot. Nothing was said about his first wife.... or the widow , that talked a lot during the show
I don’t…and it goes unsaid in the series but it appears that he may have walked out on his family when he retired…

My wife was very much on top of that issue…

very interesting about when Wilt went to the bench... and then tried to get himself back on the court...
It’s more interesting, I think, that his coach responding to, perhaps the most dominant player of all time (when he put his mind to it), offering to go back into the last several minutes of a game 7 final, seemed to have had some prior experiences with Wilt, causing hIm to pass on his offer. As you know Russell spoke his mind (later regretted it)…called Wilt a loser…overall, not just for that incident.

Carnal Knowledge (1971) Although I had forgotten much over the last 50 years, I remembered Jack Nicholson's character being a jerk. 5.5/8.0

A Few Good Men (1992) At least the third time I have seen this one. JN as an understandable jerk (from his viewpoint). Demi Moore. 6.5/8.0

We're All Going to the World's Fair (2021)

Drama/Horror: Casey is a teen girl who looks to be deprived and lonely as she hangs out in her attic bedroom. She decides to do a ritual in order to join an online horror role play game. OK, this one is definitely not for everyone and only those who get immersed into what is going on will enjoy. Lucky for me being one of the depraved I truly get what is going on here. This one is ambiguous or straight forward depending on how one views it. Since I am a horror fan I choose one conclusion to enhance the feeling I got from this film. Casey pretty much is the whole movie with over 90% being just her and the young actress making her debut does a great job coming across as being real and not just an actress playing a part..... Most won't like this film, I found it intriguing .... 4.5/8

Labyrinth (1986)

I know this has a bit of a cult following, but I could not get into it at all. They made David Bowie boring for Christ sake. The main character is unlikable from the start, the plot leaves a lot of 'why' questions poorly explained, none of the characters have describable character traits, there's not one memorable line, sequence, or song. The sets and puppetry are pretty good, but beyond that, this thing is completely hollow. My six year old correctly predicted the ending.

The sins may be forgivable if there were better songs. Go full rock opera or at least some show stoppers. 2.5/8

Two observations…

don't forget about Earl The Pearl.... what back court with Frazier... also Oscar.....

also he had two sons one born in 57 and the other born in 62.... one passed away from cancer in 2016???? i wonder if they played hoops..

watching the clips of Cousy was pretty cool

don't forget about Earl The Pearl.... what back court with Frazier... also Oscar.....

also he had two sons one born in 57 and the other born in 62.... one passed away from cancer in 2016???? i wonder if they played hoops..

watching the clips of Cousy was pretty cool
Monroe didn’t start immediately. The 2 guard was D ic k Barnett, a lefty, good shooter, with Monroe coming off the bench in their first title year. Barnett was old (mid 30’s) and faded away pretty soon after that.

Oscar?

Monroe didn’t start immediately. The 2 guard was D ic k Barnett, a lefty, good shooter, with Monroe coming off the bench in their first title year. Barnett was old (mid 30’s) and faded away pretty soon after that.

Oscar?
the BIG O....

Red Dust (1932) - Clark Gable and Jean Harlow in a hot romance. A bit risqué in this pre-code film. Jean Harlow really turns up the heat,

5/8

All the President's Men (1976) - Second time and as I remembered it. (Understandably) "busy". Are there other movies about Watergate? Meh. 6/8