What Movies Did You Watch in August 2022?

Operation Mincemeat - A decent telling of an incredible WWII story. I wish they has jettisoned the romance and told a straight war story as they were accustom to doing in the mid-forties until the late sixties. I'll have to track down The Man Who Never Was (1956) which was based on the book written by the head of the operation.

Seeing Ian Fleming as a bit player in the operation, while he takes snatches of time to work on his first spy novel was a nice touch.

5/8

Finch (2021)

While the movie is a little slow at times, it’s still a good watch. Tom Hanks shines in his performance of Finch Weinberg, a robotics engineer who survived a solar flare in a post-apocalypseI world. I won’t say much more because of the plot.

6/8

Citizen Kane (1941) Maybe it's because I missed the first 15 minutes or because I have seen movies with similar themes and styles, but this fell flat for me. Why am I imagining a line (math-speak) with a beginning and an end yet goes nowhere? Might just have been my mood. :unsure: 4/4 TMC. 4/8 EG ?

i watched the Thor movie this past weekend.... i admit i'm a big fan of the Cap American, Iron Man, and those type movies, but i give this thor movie a Solid 2 out 10, and that is because it had a good ending, but i just about got up and walked out, because the first 1 1/2 of the movie SUCKED!!!!

Paper Moon (1973) - Peter Bogdanovich so completely places us in 1936 Kansas that we almost get road grit in our teeth. The chemistry between the two O'Neals, Dad and Daughter, playing as a man and the girl that may be his daughter, is amazing. Little Tatum O'Neal certainly earned her Oscar.

Very good film.

6/8

i watched the Thor movie this past weekend.... i admit i'm a big fan of the Cap American, Iron Man, and those type movies, but i give this thor movie a Solid 2 out 10, and that is because it had a good ending, but i just about got up and walked out, because the first 1 1/2 of the movie SUCKED!!!!

the new one?

I can see that, while essentially 4 out of 5 are liking it based on Rotten Tomatoes, it definitely isn't for everyone. I don't think the first hour sucked, but it definitely had moments where it felt uneven and some jokes that don't stick the landing.

I can see that, while essentially 4 out of 5 are liking it based on Rotten Tomatoes, it definitely isn't for everyone. I don't think the first hour sucked, but it definitely had moments where it felt uneven and some jokes that don't stick the landing.
don't mind the jokes, but they forced jokes throughout the whole movie...LOTS of jokes

don't mind the jokes, but they forced jokes throughout the whole movie...LOTS of jokes

I get that. I do think the first hour in particular had too much humor. I would have liked to have seen Jane in particular be less comedic and be the "all business" one playing off the more laid back Thor, and while the Zeus we got has grown on me, I would have preferred a Zeus closer to the one we got in the mid-credits scene.

The only other two main things I would have changed would be a little more Gorr in the first hour, and then Thor being more serious with the kids.

Horrible Bosses (2011) 6/8 Not sure why I've never seen this, but I thought it was really good. Great cast, plenty of laughs especially in the last 30-40 minutes. And Jenifer Aniston...WOW total smoke show in this one!

Winter's Bone: 6.5/8

I can see how this breakout role helped Jennifer Lawrence land Hunger Games. Very similar character backstories. 17yr old girl living in Rural America (Ozarks in one, WV in the other), taking care of younger siblings and a a mother who's basically lost it, and dad is dead and out of the picture.

Winter's Bone: 6.5/8

I can see how this breakout role helped Jennifer Lawrence land Hunger Games. Very similar character backstories. 17yr old girl living in Rural America (Ozarks in one, WV in the other), taking care of younger siblings and a a mother who's basically lost it, and dad is dead and out of the picture.
I concur. Very good film. One can also see similarities with the Langmore family in the Ozark TV show.

For Me and My Gal (1942) - Decent song and dance film starring Gene Kelly and Judy Garland as two Vaudeville performers trying to make it big, while everyone puts their ambitions aside at the outbreak of WWI.

5/8

Paper Moon (1973) - Peter Bogdanovich so completely places us in 1936 Kansas that we almost get road grit in our teeth. The chemistry between the two O'Neals, Dad and Daughter, playing as a man and the girl that may be his daughter, is amazing. Little Tatum O'Neal certainly earned her Oscar.

Very good film.

6/8
Tatum's character was precious and funny as hell. I'd like to see it again.

Three Musketeers (1948) Star studded. Second viewing. Good story. Plenty of sword-fighting. Bit 'o humor. Old world politics. 5/8

A Banquet (UK-2021)

Horror: Teen Betsey goes to a party but returns with no desire to eat claiming she has seen what comes after the end. Slow burn that is sort of boring but yet keeps you in tune desiring to find out what happens. Prepare to be disappointed.... luckily I am not like most and enjoyed this one..... 5.0/8

The Damned United: 6/8 Watching Ted Lasso, I wanted to get a better idea of what soccer is in England. This movie tells it. It's kind of nationwide high money version of McKinley - Massillon without the niceties. This division promoting/demoting would be cool for Ohio high school sports. It really is the way to go. Several have suggested similar for local conferences.

The Northman: 6.75/8

Nothing too original as far as the story goes. The king is killed by his brother, the young heir flees until he can one day come back and avenge his father’s death and save his mother. This one does have a twist, though I actually think the twist made me like the movie less.

While watching, the movie actually reminded me of Russell Crowe’s Noah. Not just in some of the imagery and cinematography, but also in that you reach a point in the movie where you’re actually wondering if you should be rooting for or against the main character.

The Special Relationship: 5/8 Advertised to be about Blair - Clinton/Bush but unfortunately is only Blair-Clinton. Of course you know who and what tended to dominate. They did diverge enough to cover the war in Kosovo but didn't get further than the first press conference with Bush.

The Game of Their Lives 6/8 Hits all the typical based on a real life underdog notes including the maudlin Ken Burnish music and the allergy scene, which isn't actually at the end. Has a few before they were famous types.

Bullet Train: 7.5/8

Damn that was fun. Up there with Top Gun as my favorite movie of the year.

Great ensemble cast also with two unadvertised cameos. Everyone nails their roles perfectly, and Brad Pitt has mastered the art of playing a character in the wrong place at the wrong time.

It’s not a Guy Ritchie film, but has the feel of one to a large degree.

Great action sequences, in particular the fight scenes.