What Movies Did You Watch in August 2022?

vamp2syd

As a horror movie junkie, I come across a lot of off beat Horror movies as well as the run in the mill straight to video. I will share my thoughts of the ones that I see this month. So, if you seen a movie new or old and want to share your thoughts go ahead, and if its horror, even better!!!!

I will edit in my horror views here with my rating scale on how I liked it.....

8 = Donnie Darko
7 = Excellent !!!!!
6 = Great
5 = pretty Good
4 = OK/Good
3 = not good
2 = Bad
1 = Unwatchable

==========================================

#4500 The Lighthouse (US-2019) ... 3.5/8

#4501 Werewolves Within (US-2021) ... 5.0/8

#4502 John and the Hole (US-2021) ... 4.5/8

#4503 Nong Hak (Laos-2016) ... aka "Dearest Sister" ... 4.5/8

#4504 The Frozen Dead (UK-1966) ... 4.0/8

#4505 Al filo del hacha (Spain-1988) ... aka "Edge of the Axe" ... 4.0/8

#4506 A Banquet (UK-2021) ... 5.0/8

#4507 Bloodbeat (US-1982) ... 5.5/8

#4508 Escape Room 2: Tournament of Champions (US-2021) ... 4.0/8

#4509 The Reef 2: Stalked (Australia-2022) ... 4.0/8

#4510 Resident Evil 7: Welcome to Raccoon City (Canada-2021) ... 4.5/8

#4511 Dream No Evil (US-1970) ... 3.0/8

Last edited:

The Last Movie Stars (2022)- documentary on HBO Max about Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward. Ethan Hawke tracked down old audio tapes of interviews of people involved with them that were recorded years ago for a Paul Newman memoir that never come to fruition. He then has people like George Clooney, Laura Linney, Sally Field and Billy Crudup read the excerpts. Interesting watch. 5.5/8.

The Lighthouse (2019)

Drama/Psychological Horror: Two lighthouse keepers in the 1890's lose their sanity on an isolated island. This one has really high ratings but I just could not get into it..... 3.5/8

Werewolves Within (2021)

Comedy Horror: A small town with some strange characters are under attack but by what? This was a fun film to watch... 5.0/8

Pal Joey (1957) - Starring a hot Rita Hayworth and an even hotter Kim Novak. Lucky SInatra, he got both of them and a 55 T-Bird to boot. I have to say I don't get the whole fascination with Sinatra by the females of that generation. He had a great voice and was a decent actor, but, he looks like a skinny little runt in this and other films. It had to be his voice. Anyway, good movie with some well performed American standards (The Lady is a Tramp, My Funny Valentine...etc.).

5/8

"Nope" 4.5/8

Interesting idea for a movie. Thought they struggled with telling the story and some of the characters didn't develop too much. I like movies that make sense and this one took a few too many liberties. Not giving anything away but one scene that bugged me. The sister was dancing away to a song on the record player. The record player slowed down to half speed and the lights began flickering. The girl kept dancing. When the electricity finally went out, she had an "oh my gosh, what is happening!!" reaction and stopped dancing immediately. For us "normal" people, a record slowing down to half speed and lights flickering is all we would need to know that something was wrong. Way too many scenes like that in the movie. Didn't set the scene or mood. Just seemed like weak story-telling. I did like the main character. Could have focused more on him and less on the sister.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of Jordan Peele. He seems to tell alot of stories that are interesting to me but doesn't do a very good job, IMO. I love the Twilight Zone series but find the newest incarnation seems to have many of the same problems as this movie.

Last edited:
The Lighthouse (2019)

Drama/Psychological Horror: Two lighthouse keepers in the 1890's lose their sanity on an isolated island. This one has really high ratings but I just could not get into it..... 3.5/8
I rated this much better on the strength of Defoe's performance and the direction. The whole brokebacky part was a bit off putting, but still a very good, haunting film.

I rated this much better on the strength of Defoe's performance and the direction. The whole brokebacky part was a bit off putting, but still a very good, haunting film.

The movie is much better than what I rated it. For some reason I just could not get into it and it took 2 days for me to complete it. That is unusual for me as I enjoy slow burns.... One day I will revisit it.

John and the Hole (2021)

Drama/Horror: 13 year old John finds a large hole in the forest near his home. Hey, it's Dexter!!!!!! John's a little disturbed so use your imagination what could happen. Actually you do need to use your imagination if you want any answers to what is going on. This movie plays out and ends with no answers in site or any reason for why anything happens. It is all metaphoric? Doesn't matter as maybe the answers are either unknown or just don't matter..... 4.5/8

Prey: 7/8

A few minor quibbles aside, a near perfect Predator film that is right up there with the original. I can even u set stand why some say it’s the best Predator film so far.

Lightyear (2022) 2/8 The premise of the movie was pretty cool. This was suppose to be the movie that made the Buzz Lightyear action figures the hottest selling toys back in 1995. It was Andy's favorite movie. Beyond that, minus the robot cat, it was pretty bad.

Hong Nak (Laos-2016)

Drama/Horror: A poor village girl is asked to go to the capital to take care of her blinding cousin who has developed an interesting ability that she could take advantage of. I have never heard of Laos before so I did learn something here and the movie wasn't that bad either.... 4.5/8

"Titanic" (1953) - 5/8

Just happen to catch this on TV without knowing what it was, and I got sucked into the story. Great production, casting, and script - but cheesy SFX even for its time. Very sad melodrama. Clifton Webb was always good at playing a cold SOB.

The Frozen Dead (UK-1966)

Horror: A mad Nazi Scientist attempts to revive Nazi Elites that have been frozen for 25 years but a severed head's telepathic ability interferes. OK, so first off both the tagline and the poster art write up are not correct in describing what happens in this movie. The soldiers do not seek revenge nor are they decapitated. I doubt the ones responsible have never seen the movie. This was your average Sci-Fi 60's mad scientist film which could of been much better with the premise they had..... 4.0/8

Al filo del hacha (Spain-1988)

Horror: Giallo??? This one is known as a Giallo/Slasher so what is going on. Well, we have a small mountain town in Cali where some masked maniac is axing up victims. We follow the lives of two residents who fall for each other who just happens to get caught in the middle of this melee. aka Edge of the Axe has it moments and is known for it's opening kill scene!!! ... 4.0/8

Been on a 90s Indy kick:

Lawn Dogs- 5/8. Could’ve been really good if not for a few weird scenes that make the movie really dark.

Happiness- 6.25/8- really good, but really f’d up. The most disturbing and disgusting non horror movie, I’ve ever seen

Kids- 5.5/8- first movie role for Rosario Dawson. The lead characters are such hateable dbags, I can’t tell if it’s intentional or not. Still, interesting movie.

Prey (2022) 5.5/8 I'm not rating it as high as PantherProud, but it was pretty good. I would say it is my second favorite in the series.

Uncharted (2022) 3/8 Thought this was a bit disappointing with both Mark Wahlberg and Tom Holland in it. I've never played the video game it is based on, so maybe I would feel differently if I had.

8 Mile (2002) 8/8 Always enjoy this one. Great movie.