What is the goal/expectations for your school's football program?

Based on your impression, what is the goal/expectations of your football program from your BOE/Admin

• Just have a team, wins and losses don't matter

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • Some good years, some bad years based on how good the class of kids is

Votes: 17 14.8%
  • Expect to have winning records most seasons, an occasional down season is acceptable

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • Should be competing for league titles and making the playoffs annually

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • Should be winning playoff games and making playoff runs annually

Votes: 26 22.6%
  • Should be in contention for state championships most years

Votes: 28 24.3%

• Total voters
Akron Coventry historically speaking isn’t a football school. Haven’t had back to back winning seasons since the 90s, before I was alive. Three winning seasons since ‘04. 2-8/3-7 in 2024 will be considered a step in the right direction, but I always hope for better, and that one day Coventry can become a good program that the community can get behind, which I think community support lacked this year. Coventry did have one of their worst seasons in years though.
Didn’t the last coach win 400 games?

Every year, I watch Sebring in hopes of them winning a game.
How did the 8 man football go for them? Do you think it was a better decision than trying to play 11 man and will help their program going forward? I feel like a lot of small schools in the Mahoning Area are going to look at Sebring to decide how to move forward with some of their programs?

I find this topic both intriguing and amusing for several reason. Amusing because I always love to hear/read peoples expectation for something that they really have no idea about(this includes board members and majority of administration). I feel like we are at a crossroads in Ohio, we are a state made up of smaller school districts compared to a lot other states. Because of this student participation and involvement in extracurriculars intensifies, each coach/advisor is lobbying for their interest. Also these smaller schools now offer more opportunities/activities to keep everyone happy, so some schools now treat extra curriculars as what they were supposed to be (an activity that is fun); not a cultural lifestyle that consumes the souls of high school student 365 to ensure a coach has a statue or keeps his job. This is why we are seeing bigger blowouts and the competitive disparity between schools continues to widen, open enrollment has quickened this phenomenon.

How did the 8 man football go for them? Do you think it was a better decision than trying to play 11 man and will help their program going forward? I feel like a lot of small schools in the Mahoning Area are going to look at Sebring to decide how to move forward with some of their programs?
They went 2-6, 3-6 if you include a game they played against a JV Valley Christian squad. Over half their games were competitive and there didn't seem to be the issue of the team shrinking as the year went on. It seemed like it was good for team morale and hopefully inspires more in the younger grades to try the sport out. I'm hoping there are some teams in Eastern Ohio that go 8 man next year so there aren't as many multi-hour drives.

I'd say Defiance is the classic "depends on the class" school. We had a lot of lean years from the 60s-80s. Turned it around in the 90s including a state title, then our "down" years in the 2000s were around 5-5 to 6-4. Then 2010 hit and it was 1 winning season through 2021. Now we've been won playoff games each of the last 2 years.

For us it depends a lot on coaching and how many of the top athletes bother to even try to play football. Our fanbase would tell you we should at least have winning records if not playoff appearances every season, but that's just not been the reality for the program. We need to learn to take the good times as they come and hope to minimize the length of the lean times.

How on earth is walnut that bad?
In this day and age, not winning breeds more not winning.

We've had a bunch of coaching turnover over the past few years, which leads to a lot of transfers out, which leads to a lot of losing, which leads to more coaching turnover... you get the point. 27 straight losses and no sign of stopping.

Yes. He coached at Manchester for years.
The interesting thing is that Jim France was the Coventry coach for one season, 1970. The Manchester coach at that time, Swede Olsson, retired in 1970 after 25 years and a 128-61 record. He selected France as his successor and France coached at Manchester for 48 years with 401 lifetime wins.

The interesting thing is that Jim France was the Coventry coach for one season, 1970. The Manchester coach at that time, Swede Olsson, retired in 1970 after 25 years and a 128-61 record. He selected France as his successor and France coached at Manchester for 48 years with 401 lifetime wins.
Definitely some interesting history! The Comets and Panthers are set to play each other next year in football the the first time since 2004. Hope it’ll be a good game

Definitely some interesting history! The Comets and Panthers are set to play each other next year in football the the first time since 2004. Hope it’ll be a good game
Too add a little more interest to the story the coach at the school I attended and support broke Frances record as the all time winningest coach in Ohio History. He now has 424 wins and still going strong.

Too add a little more interest to the story the coach at the school I attended and support broke Frances record as the all time winningest coach in Ohio History. He now has 424 wins and still going strong.
I would love for Coventry to have that kind of success. They’ve struggled to keep a head coach, rosters numbers have been up and down. The community support that Coventry gets can’t even compare to Manchester. It exists, but I don’t think many people in portage lakes cares as much about the football program like the people do in Manchester.

The expectations are - and should be - highly variable based on what community you are talking about. Some it's keep them off the streets, in shape, and disciplined. Others it's win a state title in X years.

One that I would add for smaller, single HS communities is to support a culture of a program at all levels from Varsity down to pee wee. When I officiate games in such communities, you can tell which places have this culture and which don't. It is noticeable.

When my sons were in pee wee, they told the HS coach they knew more than he did when he was new (despite 5 years as an assistant and college playing experience, but hey I guess having been in the town and never left means you know more). He took it well and let them fail because after a couple of years they saw they did not in fact know what they were doing. HS went 5-5 at best.

The pee wee board got rid of them (for many other reasons), and asked the HS coach how they could work together moving forward, and within about 5 years the HS team was going 8-2 consistently and getting decently deep into the playoffs (we are a baseball and soccer school so anything winning is good for football, or at least it was). Eventually, many of those sub-Varsity coaches moved on and more arrogant dads came in, a new board took over, and we went back to no relationship to the point the HS coach left and went on to coach in college. Since then (and, really until this year), they were pathetic in football with a new coach every couple of years. A new AD who gets it and a new board of good parents now, and we are back to the good relationship days.

I coached HS for 12 years (as an assistant and we never had a losing season) and I once asked the pee wee dads if they needed help. They told me no I didnt know anything about football. Ok, guys, and you wonder why you cannot win a game...

The expectations are - and should be - highly variable based on what community you are talking about. Some it's keep them off the streets, in shape, and disciplined. Others it's win a state title in X years.

One that I would add for smaller, single HS communities is to support a culture of a program at all levels from Varsity down to pee wee. When I officiate games in such communities, you can tell which places have this culture and which don't. It is noticeable.

When my sons were in pee wee, they told the HS coach they knew more than he did when he was new (despite 5 years as an assistant and college playing experience, but hey I guess having been in the town and never left means you know more). He took it well and let them fail because after a couple of years they saw they did not in fact know what they were doing. HS went 5-5 at best.

The pee wee board got rid of them (for many other reasons), and asked the HS coach how they could work together moving forward, and within about 5 years the HS team was going 8-2 consistently and getting decently deep into the playoffs (we are a baseball and soccer school so anything winning is good for football, or at least it was). Eventually, many of those sub-Varsity coaches moved on and more arrogant dads came in, a new board took over, and we went back to no relationship to the point the HS coach left and went on to coach in college. Since then (and, really until this year), they were pathetic in football with a new coach every couple of years. A new AD who gets it and a new board of good parents now, and we are back to the good relationship days.

I coached HS for 12 years (as an assistant and we never had a losing season) and I once asked the pee wee dads if they needed help. They told me no I didnt know anything about football. Ok, guys, and you wonder why you cannot win a game...

Definitely a great point. Too many pee wee/little league coaches are all about making themselves look smart and winning games. Get those kids out there first having fun and maintaining interest in the sport, second learning fundamentals, and third learning the basics of what they'll be doing at the high school level. I'd never expect a 5th grader to know the entire high school playbook or entire blocking scheme or terminology, but every little bit they can learn then puts them ahead of the curve when they get to Jr. high and then into high school. I'd bet a 5-5 talent team who learned the game the right way and played together all those years has a much better shot of going 7-3 than one that aimed to win a bunch of games in 5th grade.

And then you get the MAC schools, who don't even start football until 7th grade and then end up dominating their divisions once the kids get to high school. The culture and teaching methods from the bottom up are so important.

I'd say Defiance is the classic "depends on the class" school. We had a lot of lean years from the 60s-80s. Turned it around in the 90s including a state title, then our "down" years in the 2000s were around 5-5 to 6-4. Then 2010 hit and it was 1 winning season through 2021. Now we've been won playoff games each of the last 2 years.

For us it depends a lot on coaching and how many of the top athletes bother to even try to play football. Our fanbase would tell you we should at least have winning records if not playoff appearances every season, but that's just not been the reality for the program. We need to learn to take the good times as they come and hope to minimize the length of the lean times.
Right now Defiance is a one class program. This years Junior class represents approx. half the players in the HS program. There are a few good players in the Sr. and Soph. classes, but 80% of the major contributors are Juniors. Could be rough after next year.

They went 2-6, 3-6 if you include a game they played against a JV Valley Christian squad. Over half their games were competitive and there didn't seem to be the issue of the team shrinking as the year went on. It seemed like it was good for team morale and hopefully inspires more in the younger grades to try the sport out. I'm hoping there are some teams in Eastern Ohio that go 8 man next year so there aren't as many multi-hour drives.
Glad to hear it went well for them and that hopefully it's just the first step into building a strong 8-man program. I think they're the template for smalls schools in Mahoning Valley that should go this route. I don't think there's any question that there are at least 5 or 6 more schools in the tri-county area that could go this route. A nice little competitive 7 or 8-man league could form between the 3 counties.

Right now Defiance is a one class program. This years Junior class represents approx. half the players in the HS program. There are a few good players in the Sr. and Soph. classes, but 80% of the major contributors are Juniors. Could be rough after next year.

Yeah, I'm hoping for better seeding luck and an extended playoff run next year. If there was ever a year to NOT choke 2 games and win a league title/play 3-4 playoff games it was this year with when they caught Wapak and how they played CC.

I have hope that maybe Cooper is a better fit for the program going forward than Kline and late career Buti were and maybe it doesn't dip back to the 0-10, 1-9 days. I could live with a consistent 4-6, 5-5, bottom end of playoff contention with the random 7-3 when things go well. But that 2010-2021 run especially coming off 2 good decades was rough.

Great topic. Unfortunately the expectations don't change for most even when the dynamics of the school and program have changed. I have witnessed this first hand at Newark Catholic. Most folks do not realize what it truly takes to be a top tier program........they simply want to piggy back and ride the coattails of what happened in the past. Success is cyclical so enjoy it while it lasts!

Apparently 0-10 is now the standard at Colerain. Should this first year coach be given a second year?

No real expectations. When we have a good year we'll win a few playoff games. When we have a bad year We'll win 4-5 games. When we have a great year every 15 years we'll win a state championship. The fanbase seems fine with each outcome. Coaches stay forever for that reason.

Honestly, if Greenville repeated the 90s, I'd be good with it. Every year I was in high school, we posted winning records and a playoff berth in 96. Just get that ship up and running.

My opinion, if Buchtel can win against some non- conference games and was a power -house late 80 winning 2 state- championship back to back and last year, was first in a while make it lost by 7 made to the third round and this year lost by a point, if can get back being really good win games in playoffs like have last 2' years and find a way get over the hump, will be a good team in there division region I will take it.

Last edited:
My opinion if Buchtel can win against some non conference games and was a power house late 80 winning 2 state championship back to back and last year was first in a while make it lost by 7 made to the third round and this year lost by a point if can get back being really good win games in playoffs like have last 2 years and find a way get over the hump will be a good team in there division region I will take it.
Punctuation is important, friends.