What do you do?

TroyTrojan05

I am in a dilemma. A new neighbor moved in next door to me recently. Super nice person. However, even though our property lines are clearly observable, she continues to mow her grass VERY short like a putting green about 10 feet into my lawn. Her yard is 90 percent weeds and the further she keeps coming over, the more weeds I get in my yard. I haven't had weeds in my yard for years, but now I keep having to buy weed spray from the store to keep them out.

I've dropped hints to her before while I've been out doing yard work. I've said something along the lines of " Yep, just out here spraying these weeds that I seem to keep getting. I've been getting a lot lately."

Not just the weeds either. She mows SO short that my yard looks like a tetris game of heights. Several inches difference along my side yard. It looks terrible.

I am naturally a nice person so I'm having a hard time trying to figure out how to talk to her about this. Any help would be great.

Don't "drop hints". Nicely explain that you prefer your lawn to be kept differently than she prefers hers, and you would appreciate it if she would limit her mowing to her side of the property line.

Her response determines the next step. Hopefully there won't be one.

I would put some rebar stakes in your yard where she cuts. Only leave like 2" sticking up, after she kills her blade on the stakes the point will be made.

Don't "drop hints". Nicely explain that you prefer your lawn to be kept differently than she prefers hers, and you would appreciate it if she would limit her mowing to her side of the property line.

Her response determines the next step. Hopefully there won't be one.

That's all.

I would put some rebar stakes in your yard where she cuts. Only leave like 2" sticking up, after she kills her blade on the stakes the point will be made.

Phase II, if needed! :laugh:

Better use like 1.5" pipe or conduit in 1 foot lengths, so no one gets impaled. The supply store will probably cut it for you.

A less pre-emptive measure might be to put down a line of orange landscaper's spray-paint to mark the boundary, and see if she can follow it. Maybe even put a big "YES" on her side, and "NO" on yours.

The problem is, she's super nice. If it was the neighbors before her, I would have no problem as they were old grumps. I've seen this lady pick up my trash from the yard one day when the wind blew my trash can over. I watched her pick it up from my window. I feel bad and don't want to be that "get off my lawn guy".

Maybe I will just try the simple approach of just simply walking over to discuss property lines.

Do you still mow this area? Even if it doesn't need it, as it's so short? Perhaps just continue to mow it so she knows it's yours.

Do you still mow this area? Even if it doesn't need it, as it's so short? Perhaps just continue to mow it so she knows it's yours.

Yes, it doesn't do much though. If she didn't mow for a month it would still not be as high as mine. She basically mows it to the dirt.

Tell her that her mower setting is way too low. Be a good neighbor and adjust it up (equal to yours) for her.

Wait until she's cutting the grass one day, then go out there and cut your yard and make sure she sees you cutting in No Man's Land so she knows it's yours.

Maybe I will just try the simple approach of just simply walking over to discuss property lines.

Well, that's an option ..... no, no - being reasonable and civilized and using common sense just won't do. You need to bring the hammer down! :D

8344477_G.jpg

Troy's is the high grass.

I am in a dilemma. A new neighbor moved in next door to me recently. Super nice person. However, even though our property lines are clearly observable, she continues to mow her grass VERY short like a putting green about 10 feet into my lawn. Her yard is 90 percent weeds and the further she keeps coming over, the more weeds I get in my yard. I haven't had weeds in my yard for years, but now I keep having to buy weed spray from the store to keep them out.

I've dropped hints to her before while I've been out doing yard work. I've said something along the lines of " Yep, just out here spraying these weeds that I seem to keep getting. I've been getting a lot lately."

Not just the weeds either. She mows SO short that my yard looks like a tetris game of heights. Several inches difference along my side yard. It looks terrible.

I am naturally a nice person so I'm having a hard time trying to figure out how to talk to her about this. Any help would be great.

Move to a nicer neighborhood.

If she is nice and you get along then this should be an easy conversation. Don't understand the problem.

Tell her that her mower setting is way too low. Be a good neighbor and adjust it up (equal to yours) for her.

True, however, considering the neighbor's yard sounds extremely weedy, she may be doing a favor by mowing low - that is, if she is not blowing the weed seed into TT's lawn.

The problem is, she's super nice. If it was the neighbors before her, I would have no problem as they were old grumps. I've seen this lady pick up my trash from the yard one day when the wind blew my trash can over. I watched her pick it up from my window. I feel bad and don't want to be that "get off my lawn guy".

So, are you in a typical suburban development and if so, is she just cutting up to your driveway ? Maybe she just thinks she's being nice. Is there a Mr. Neighbor ?

You know that there's a decent chance that she doesn't know how to raise her mower deck, right ?

So, are you in a typical suburban development and if so, is she just cutting up to your driveway ? Maybe she just thinks she's being nice. Is there a Mr. Neighbor ?

You know that there's a decent chance that she doesn't know how to raise her mower deck, right ?

Steroytypical suburban neighborhood. There is no Mr. Neighbor. She is a single person living there which is kind of odd since I'm assuming it's a 3 or 4 bedroom house. She's a travel nurse so I'm sure she works odd and long hours.
Probably mows extremely short to mow less frequently and save time. And I believe she can raise a mower deck. I've seen her out doing several different types of yard work and home repair.

I think I'm going to just nicely have a discussion with her. I just thought I'd see what other suggestions I could get. I just felt like dropping hints might be the more gentlemanly thing to do. I don't want her to think I'm a crazy neighbor. Maybe I will Have my wife bake some cookies to bring over. May lessen the blow.

Steroytypical suburban neighborhood. There is no Mr. Neighbor. She is a single person living there which is kind of odd since I'm assuming it's a 3 or 4 bedroom house. She's a travel nurse so I'm sure she works odd and long hours.
Probably mows extremely short to mow less frequently and save time. And I believe she can raise a mower deck. I've seen her out doing several different types of yard work and home repair.

I think I'm going to just nicely have a discussion with her. I just thought I'd see what other suggestions I could get. I just felt like dropping hints might be the more gentlemanly thing to do. I don't want her to think I'm a crazy neighbor. Maybe I will Have my wife bake some cookies to bring over. May lessen the blow.

The obvious question is....what does she look like? Pictures?