What are you watching?

Good read. I'll admit, Andor is my least favorite of the 3 (which I never would have expected to say 4 months ago), but I'll also admit part of that is on me and how I view the episodes. I need to re-watch the most recent. Watching the show Wednesday mornings while I'm getting ready for work isn't conducive to catching all of the stylized nuance the writers are putting into the writing of the show.

Good read. I'll admit, Andor is my least favorite of the 3 (which I never would have expected to say 4 months ago), but I'll also admit part of that is on me and how I view the episodes. I need to re-watch the most recent. Watching the show Wednesday mornings while I'm getting ready for work isn't conducive to catching all of the stylized nuance the writers are putting into the writing of the show.
I was in the same camp, especially after I watched the 1st three episodes not knowing that they would be in trilogy blocks with different Directors and homages to different styles. But a light bulb went off after the fantastic episode 6 that acted a a wrap up to the 2nd trilogy. Still wish they did this as a series of films but I get the marketing angle as Disney in the long run wants to make $s.

The Star Wars franchise could be one of the most overrated critically in the history of Hollywood. Looking back there are two great films: New Hope and Empire Strikes Back, two good film/show: The Last Jedi & Mandalorian, a bunch of mediocre films/shows, and some really bad films: Phantom Menace & The Clone Wars. Mandalorian gave the story a nice jolt but they were starting to settle back into mediocrity with Obi-Wan. Hopefully we get more good stuff and less bad.

I was in the same camp, especially after I watched the 1st three episodes not knowing that they would be in trilogy blocks with different Directors and homages to different styles. But a light bulb went off after the fantastic episode 6 that acted a a wrap up to the 2nd trilogy. Still wish they did this as a series of films but I get the marketing angle as Disney in the long run wants to make $s.

The Star Wars franchise could be one of the most overrated critically in the history of Hollywood. Looking back there are two great films: New Hope and Empire Strikes Back, two good film/show: The Last Jedi & Mandalorian, a bunch of mediocre films/shows, and some really bad films: Phantom Menace & The Clone Wars. Mandalorian gave the story a nice jolt but they were starting to settle back into mediocrity with Obi-Wan. Hopefully we get more good stuff and less bad.

I don't know that I'd use the word "overrated", but I do get what you mean. From an overall quality standpoint, Star Wars doesn't hold up against the Lord of the Rings/Hobbit films, Hary Potter Franchise, Mission Impossible franchise, and what Marvel has done. Granted, Marvel is on it's own level. Wakanda Forever next week will mark movie #30 in the connected universe, to go along with nearly a dozen TV shows.

Last edited:
I don't know that I'd use the word "overrated", but I do get what you mean. From an overall quality standpoint, Star Wars doesn't hold up against the Lord of the Rings/Hobbit films and what Marvel has done. Granted, Marvel is on it's own level. Wakanda Forever next week will mark movie #30 in the connected universe, to go along with nearly a dozen TV shows.
I would also put the Bond franchise above SW with regards to overall quality.

I would also put the Bond franchise above SW with regards to overall quality.

possibly, I leave Bond out because the movies aren't all connected. They just keep rebooting the franchise.

I did edit my original post to include Harry Potter and Mission Impossible.

Lord of the Rings really hasn't done as much they've had a chance to screw up. The first three movies so well done but I've not been impressed by the tv efforts.

Star Wars I think should include the animations in their evaluation and those move it WAY high.

Marvel has been pretty tight knit with wins in movies, tv and theatre.

Bond: I've watched them all in order. There is some continuity but I'd agree, only the Craig efforts belong in the discussion.

1) Harry Potter (not really a fan but thought they were tightly done)
2) Star Wars (which move way down without animation included)
3) Marvel
4) Star Trek
5) Craig Bond
6) Lord of the Rings, which if only trilogies were allowed, would move to the top.
7) MI
8) Indiana Jones

Were others being considered? Pirates of the Caribbean? DC?

Lord of the Rings really hasn't done as much they've had a chance to screw up. The first three movies so well done but I've not been impressed by the tv efforts.

Star Wars I think should include the animations in their evaluation and those move it WAY high.

Marvel has been pretty tight knit with wins in movies, tv and theatre.

Bond: I've watched them all in order. There is some continuity but I'd agree, only the Craig efforts belong in the discussion.

1) Harry Potter (not really a fan but thought they were tightly done)
2) Star Wars (which move way down without animation included)
3) Marvel
4) Star Trek
5) Craig Bond
6) Lord of the Rings, which if only trilogies were allowed, would move to the top.
7) MI
8) Indiana Jones

Were others being considered? Pirates of the Caribbean? DC?

Do you not include the Hobbit movies as part of Lord of the Rings, or have you just not seen them to judge?

As far as what to include, any franchise where it's all connected I'd say would count, though I'd think that they have to have at least 5 entries to be compared evenly. Not sure you can really compare a 3 movie franchise evenly to a 7 movie franchise.

Do you not include the Hobbit movies as part of Lord of the Rings, or have you just not seen them to judge?

As far as what to include, any franchise where it's all connected I'd say would count, though I'd think that they have to have at least 5 entries to be compared evenly. Not sure you can really compare a 3 movie franchise evenly to a 7 movie franchise.
Started one and lost interest. I'd put them in the "can't judge" category. From my POV, the franchise has only been pulled down by the recent tv contributions.

I was wondering how hard this guy was making it on himself. The squirrels might not be that difficult. They have no problem running around in the open. Rare to see rats in the day other than near the river. Even then they tend to stay in their burrows.

Weren't you the one posting photos of deer? If you have deer, I guarantee you, you have rats and all other kinds of vermin. Because you don't have predators. It means nothing until they're in the house. It doesn't mean the neighborhood is dirty.
Someone who lives in my neighborhood posted this to Reddit. I feel like he’s daring people to f**k with him.
D1CD55EC-498B-45B8-B105-15418BE4AE3C.jpeg

Just finished up Rings of Power and this is how I would rank the big 3 prequels that were out this fall:

Andor

House of Dragons
Rings of Power

I know I am going against the grain with regard to ratings but after that slow start Andor has me engaged in the story telling and the Acting/Directing really stands above the other two.

Started "Blockbuster" last night on Netflix. Good so far.

It's a comedy about the last Blockbuster video store that existed, based in 2019.

Over the last week

Knocked out season 4 part one of Manifest. kinda interesting that they kept in the transitions to commercial breaks.

3 episodes into The Peripheral. It's like Westworld, The Matrix, and Ozark had a baby. lol

Andor - That last scene in episode 10... damn. Give me more like that disney.

I just finished A Friend of the Family on Peacock. The 9 episode series is a true story about Broberg family, whose young daughter Jan was kidnapped twice in the 70s by a manipulative pedophile family friend. The series shows how the family was drawn in by the guy and how the girl was convinced that she and the pedophile were engaged in a mission for aliens from a different planet that could only be saved by her having the pedophile's child by her 16th birthday. It's an entertaining watch but it might well have been called "The Stupidest Family in America."

Tulsa King- Sheridan's new mob series starring Sylvester Stallone. It's not bad. I guess the show runner previously worked on The Sopranos and Boardwalk Empire and it comes nowhere near those two classics.