Westwood DORA Proposal

4GX

I know that your thread moderator, EHS2001, mentioned the Westwood DORA (designated outdoor refreshment area-- essentially a legal "open-container" area) proposal in the "True West Sider" thread, but since no one commented there, I thought I'd post a separate thread-- I'm curious what Elder folk think about the DORA proposal for Harrison Avenue in Westwood... Elder students and alums are justly FAMOUS for their proclivity for beer consumption, so one would think this might get rousing support here-- but one never knows...

I know there are others of these areas already extant in Greater Cincinnati (e.g.- down by the Banks, Wyoming, etc.), so this would not be a first-- but is it a positive or a negative for Westwood (and the local businesses that are backing it)?

also have in cheviot. a positive. quit trolling the westside.

jtk
()
Where is there an outdoor drinking zone in Cheviot? Aside from West Fest?

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …

AEW Champion: Greatness Personified

I know that your thread moderator, EHS2001, mentioned the Westwood DORA (designated outdoor refreshment area-- essentially a legal "open-container" area) proposal in the "True West Sider" thread, but since no one commented there, I thought I'd post a separate thread-- I'm curious what Elder folk think about the DORA proposal for Harrison Avenue in Westwood... Elder students and alums are justly FAMOUS for their proclivity for beer consumption, so one would think this might get rousing support here-- but one never knows...

I know there are others of these areas already extant in Greater Cincinnati (e.g.- down by the Banks, Wyoming, etc.), so this would not be a first-- but is it a positive or a negative for Westwood (and the local businesses that are backing it)?

X students and alumn are justly FAMOUS for their proclivity in being arrogant d*** heads.

also have in cheviot. a positive. quit trolling the westside.

jtk
()
I live on the West side (with close ties to Price Hill), so not really trolling anything--just wondered whether Elder alums support the DORA or not... as for the other profane comment, I won't bother to respond to that one-- he has major issues, as has been noted here regularly.

I've thought long and hard about the DORA. I love the idea in certain places, like the Banks. I don't think it makes sense in Westwood. The Banks is more conducive to foot traffic and doesn't have crazy traffic like Harrison and Montana.

I don't like that it is across the street from Westwood Elementary, both across Harrison and Montana. I know school won't be in session, but they will have PTO meetings, parent/teacher conferences, plays/concerts, and other activities in the evening throughout the year.

I also don't think it's a good idea to have DORA that close to residential area. Many of the homes in that area have been completely remodeled to their former glory, and having a bunch of drunk people walking through the yard of a house worth 300k isn't a good look either.

Lastly, how will this be enforced? I mean, District 3 has their hands full with all kinds of other issues, you think they are going to be concerned about enforcing DORA? Someone was shot in the head at Ferguson Walmart and somehow got away, when the precinct is literally in that parking lot. I don't think DORA enforcement is anywhere close to top of the list for CPD.

I like that City Clowncil seemed to finally do something for the Westside, I just don't know how this is going to benefit the neighborhood at all.

Last edited:
Dora would literally be just in front of ivory house and westside brewery. it wouldn't extend down the side streets into the residents.

in cheviot its in front to the bars and maybe 100 ft down the side streets.

jtk
()

Ivory House posted a map of the area to their FB page yesterday. It doesn't include any residencies, but does border them.

I doubt the DORA will get much use day-to-day, but will be helpful in attracting people to events like Second Saturdays.

Attachments

• IMG_3976.JPG
    IMG_3976.JPG
    159.1 KB · Views: 29
That doesn't look like what I'd typically think of as a DORA, not from an urban planning POV. There's maybe a block of synergy in that whole stretch (based on a google map drive only) and going even a little off the main path seems to invite conflct with neighbors.

Done deal? Maybe someone has a better vision and it will work. Maybe a small start will encourgae investment. Some pop-up business credits, a few other incentives. Entertainment is great but it works best when there is service industry in the area. Rezoning and business credits to the housing just off the main drag so those can be developed into pop-up businesses, restaurants, maker marts... Some neon signing in the windows to advertise it as a business, it will look cool. As long as there is population density and low crime, it has a chance.

I'm not sure what we're debating exactly, but the many of the businesses needed in the area to draw people exist today. Already inside the DORA in the service industry you have Wondercade (arcade that also has alcohol), Henke Winery, Nation, West Side Brewing, Muse Cafe (coffee shop in the mornings with wine and beer in the evening), and Ivory House. There will also be the two additional restaurants next to West Side Brewing from the two guys who own Ivory House.

There are several other existing boutique-type businesses in the same building as Muse Cafe, the recently renovated Westwood Town Hall, Madcap Education Center. Also plenty of space for new business to move in.

Of course there are obstacles to overcome, but it's great to see the community leaders in Westwood work with the city to make this happen.

Dora would literally be just in front of ivory house and westside brewery. it wouldn't extend down the side streets into the residents.

in cheviot its in front to the bars and maybe 100 ft down the side streets.

jtk
()
Never said it would. I said it was close to high end homes where I guarantee there will be issues with people trouncing through yards.

Ivory House posted a map of the area to their FB page yesterday. It doesn't include any residencies, but does border them.

I doubt the DORA will get much use day-to-day, but will be helpful in attracting people to events like Second Saturdays.
I've been to the DORA in Wyoming once or twice-- it's in a tiny postage-stamp park, next to a restaurant-- and less than 100 feet from some very nice, 120-year+ old large, well-maintained homes; the events were very low-key, with mostly middle-age couples (and even some families with children) listening to acoustic music performances from a gazebo. I don't know if the Westwood DORA would have that kind of vibe-- or more of a younger (and thus probably rowdier) tilt to it-- with perhaps higher levels of alcohol consumption-- and all that that entails...

EHS 2001 describes what seems like a fairly desirable milieu, while cincifbfan (fairly) brings up the other, more dreaded scenario... what do Elder alums (and other "True" Westsiders) see as the more likely outcome with the Westwood DORA?

I've been to the DORA in Wyoming once or twice-- it's in a tiny postage-stamp park, next to a restaurant-- and less than 100 feet from some very nice, 120-year+ old large, well-maintained homes; the events were very low-key, with mostly middle-age couples (and even some families with children) listening to acoustic music performances from a gazebo. I don't know if the Westwood DORA would have that kind of vibe-- or more of a younger (and thus probably rowdier) tilt to it-- with perhaps higher levels of alcohol consumption-- and all that that entails...
I think you bring up a good point. The events held at Westwood Town Hall and the small park surrounding it will have a big influence on the kind of crowd that's drawn to the Westwood DORA. Hopefully the organizations in Westwood that spearheaded the process of establishing the DORA can perform a similar role to what 3CDC does with programs and events at Washington Park.

I think you bring up a good point. The events held at Westwood Town Hall and the small park surrounding it will have a big influence on the kind of crowd that's drawn to the Westwood DORA. Hopefully the organizations in Westwood that spearheaded the process of establishing the DORA can perform a similar role to what 3CDC does with programs and events at Washington Park.
Yes-- I'd imagine Washington Park events would be the aspirational goal for the atmosphere at the Westwood DORA.

Yes-- I'd imagine Washington Park events would be the aspirational goal for the atmosphere at the Westwood DORA.
The whole benefit of the Dora is that the business are selling the drinks vs an outside vendor. It basically gives exclusivity to sell in an outdoor area and in my opinion I'd rather the business that are they day in and day out benefit vs a third party.

I’m organizing a Travis Scott concert at West Side Brewing as we speak.

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …

AEW Champion: America’s Last Hope