Western reserve discussion

Just spoke to a friend about the current situation at Western Reserve, and this was his response..

"I was told over a week ago that Rick Shepas was going to be the next coach, pending board approval honoring all of his years. Apparently two former football coaches who are on the current administration at the school have stated that they will be filling out Coach Shepas staff, to include Andy hake. The plan is for Shepas to put in 2 years and then turn the program back over to coach hake. This information is coming second hand, but the original source is someone who is on the search committee. [source] isn’t sure what the hold up is. This was considered a done deal for quite some time, so the lack of an announcement is strange and probably indicates they’re making a mess again.”
Shepas the HC and Hake leaving Valley to be an assistant? This seems not just a bit but completely out of the left field. I mean I guess anything is possible but this is a I’ll believe it when I see it scenario

Wow, that is the first I’ve heard of Rick Shepas in years!!! Where has he been? My oldest son played against him in the early 2000’s when he was coaching at Massillon. Didn’t he go to coach in college?
Shepas was the Youngstown City Schools head of athletics up until 2020 when his position was eliminated. He was a main influence for getting Chaney back to varsity athletics

Just spoke to a friend about the current situation at Western Reserve, and this was his response..

"I was told over a week ago that Rick Shepas was going to be the next coach, pending board approval honoring all of his years. Apparently two former football coaches who are on the current administration at the school have stated that they will be filling out Coach Shepas staff, to include Andy hake. The plan is for Shepas to put in 2 years and then turn the program back over to coach hake. This information is coming second hand, but the original source is someone who is on the search committee. [source] isn’t sure what the hold up is. This was considered a done deal for quite some time, so the lack of an announcement is strange and probably indicates they’re making a mess again.”
Why would Andy Hake leave his head coaching job to return to the place he use to be the head coach and not be the head coach? That makes literally ZERO sense. What is happening on this thread?

Wow, that is the first I’ve heard of Rick Shepas in years!!! Where has he been? My oldest son played against him in the early 2000’s when he was coaching at Massillon. Didn’t he go to coach in college?
Yeah he coached at Waynesburg college ,he tried recruiting my boy his junior year,I got to meet him ..He’s a passionate guy. Wow if this is true reserve sure is getting some top contenders

Last edited:
This is exactly the kind of plan I was expecting to hear when Lude was let go. Figured there has to be a master plan,they could not let Lude get any more traction.
The Hake as assistant would be surprising but the handoff in 2 more years would not be.

Let me repeat myself
Why would Andy agree to this?
This is a very bad rumor. My guess would be to make people think more people were interested in this job than being reported. Why? Because a freshman coach who graduated from there just told them he rather go back to coaching freshman football than take their head job. Don’t let anyone fool you, there is no plan. The plan is John Armeni or bust.

Old staff now lol I’ll never say who but this is the mentality and understand it’s the norm right,and it was an honest response to my question of what’s going on.

It was a good staff for the most part
They and us thought them a lot but we’re gone and new guys will run new stuff and I’m sorry you don’t wanna hear it and you don’t understand but there’s not much talent left there 5-5 tops
Is coaches are yearly contracts we all were out after this year for the most part, talent equals wins and playoffs
I’m not going somewhere where 5-5 is tops
I have no ties to Labrae or Steetsboro or Warren
There to win
No one wants to lose
If you're actually a coach it wouldn't be that hard to look at your writing and figure out who you are. There aren't too many adults that will write a full paragraph like you did with no punctuation and I imagine anyone that would have potentially worked with you could easily identify you from this post alone

I don’t comprehend a lot of what I just read, other than LaBrae has crazy parents too. I am not sure how you can in any way look at what Armeni did for LaBrae and not praise him for it. What the hell was LaBrae before he got there?
Labrae had some pretty good seasons right before he came in actually.

Andy Hake giving up his head job to go back to the place that fired him to be an assistant. I thought I dreamed that, nope, that’s a real rumor. Excuse me while I laugh myself back to sleep.

If you're actually a coach it wouldn't be that hard to look at your writing and figure out who you are. There aren't too many adults that will write a full paragraph like you did with no punctuation and I imagine anyone that would have potentially worked with you could easily identify you from this post alone
It does answer questions of what some of the former LaBrae coaching staff was thinking. At least you know they were talking. This coach mentioned others and plans. I highly doubt it was only his view on the players. The players were talking that they heard things like this from coach indirectly but that was just rumors. When I got this response from a top coach ,It confirmed it to me.

Armeni is fools gold. If WR can some how turn this into Shepas they hit a grand slam.
Shepas is not coming to WR. Armeni is the guy. I’m not sure why anyone is trying to inception these ideas. My guess is Shepas had former players with ties to WR apply and one of them suggested bringing him with them. Him taking the job and bringing Hake as an assistant is just a lie.

It does answer questions of what some of the former LaBrae coaching staff was thinking. At least you know they were talking. This coach mentioned others and plans. I highly doubt it was only his view on the players. The players were talking that they heard things like this from coach indirectly but that was just rumors. When I got this response from a top coach ,It confirmed it to me.
I’m guessing that as a result, none of the former coaches are staying? Do any of them coach other sports or are in the building? Could be animosity between the former coaches and Elliot if that is the case

Armeni is a proven winner and a great hire but that place cannot get the name Andy Hake out of their mouths. At this point nothing would shock me.
Exactly, like has anyone thought that maybe Andy Hake found himself into a better situation and had no interest in ever returning. Hake is gone, Rach is gone, Lude is gone, and none of them are ever coming back. The only reason they have a chance at Armeni is because he coached here with Kopachy, who you guessed it, the town hates. He has a relationship with the administration and would be doing a solid to them. The interview was Monday and he was the only one. What are we waiting for here?

Exactly, like has anyone thought that maybe Andy Hake found himself into a better situation and had no interest in ever returning. Hake is gone, Rach is gone, Lude is gone, and none of them are ever coming back. The only reason they have a chance at Armeni is because he coached here with Kopachy, who you guessed it, the town hates. He has a relationship with the administration and would be doing a solid to them. The interview was Monday and he was the only one. What are we waiting for here?
Shepas? Hake? The ghost of John madden?

The speculation with this job is wild. I assume they will make a decision soon..... I am very curious to see what happens
I don’t understand the speculation. They interviewed 8 people. They worked that down to two. One pulled out and one interviewed again. The guy who interviewed is probably the guy unless he doesn’t want it. Let’s make a decision already so the kids don’t fall behind more than they already are.

I wou

l would have guessed Chaney being that is where he was from. There are certain things we will never get answers to. The point is it looks like WR is going to get their guy. The question is, what if he says no?
Chaney actually sounds a lot more likely to be the place Armeni expected to land. That's why they call it the rumor mill. Shepas at WR now that is a funny rumor. Coach Hake as an assistant is ridiculous. The man more that likely will be barred from coaching after he meets with the state and they make their final decision.

Chaney actually sounds a lot more likely to be the place Armeni expected to land. That's why they call it the rumor mill. Shepas at WR now that is a funny rumor. Coach Hake as an assistant is ridiculous. The man more that likely will be barred from coaching after he meets with the state and they make their final decision.
I think he will be coaching, there is no way they hire him if they thought there was a chance he would not be

The longer this goes with no news cannot be a good thing right? How do we not have a decision yet?
You need to find out when the school's board of education meets, as I would guess that all these Youngstown-area schools currently without a head coach will have their school boards vote on approving new head coaches at their regularly-scheduled February meetings.

True but with the situation being what it is they should try to make this happen in a hurry. In high school sports times is of the essence. You cannot allow the water to be stagnant for too long or the players may end somewhere else. Especially when you are talking about 8th graders (their parents) looking at their last chance to make a movement with no punishment.