Western Buckeye League 21-22

Sounds like St. Marys led O-G for maybe over half the game but only scored 8 points in the second half.
St Mary’s sat in a zone and were able to keep it close due to OG not shooting great. In the 4th OG started running a full court press and trapping in the half court. St Mary’s went down and had to get out of the 2-3 zone. That’s when the game was lost.

Doesn't even take size to neutralize Parks if the shooters aren't hitting shots. Defiance did it with a 6'6" guy and 1 or 2 6'1" guys all night.

Parks is good, considering he's about 6'8" (definitely NOT 6'10") big in a league with few bigs. What I saw though is a kid who can get frustrated and out of his game if he's not getting help. Which is fair, it's a team game. But if he was in the Big Ten RIGHT NOW....he's not ready. They'd eat him alive. Luckily he's got more time to grow and work on expanding his game even further. He'll be fine.
Agree, most high school kids are not. Maybe the top rate 30 players in the nation can step into the BIG10 and compete right away. Parks is not rated at that level. Because SM does not have much help from the outside, most teams can just double him and not worry about the outside shots. I believe he will be a nice player at wherever he ends. The coaches at Indiana, OSU, Michigan State and whatever other schools he is getting recruited from know more than us on here.

Agree, most high school kids are not. Maybe the top rate 30 players in the nation can step into the BIG10 and compete right away. Parks is not rated at that level. Because SM does not have much help from the outside, most teams can just double him and not worry about the outside shots. I believe he will be a nice player at wherever he ends. The coaches at Indiana, OSU, Michigan State and whatever other schools he is getting recruited from know more than us on here.
Agree. College weightroom and having other supporting players will be very beneficial to Parks. Teams won’t collapse and focus the whole game. He’ll be a successful player. Let’s not forget he’s a junior in high school. Very rarely is a 17 year old able to compete at the highest level immediately. Emoni Bates was a consensus top 2 player in his class and is getting schooled at Memphis.

Agree. College weightroom and having other supporting players will be very beneficial to Parks. Teams won’t collapse and focus the whole game. He’ll be a successful player. Let’s not forget he’s a junior in high school. Very rarely is a 17 year old able to compete at the highest level immediately. Emoni Bates was a consensus top 2 player in his class and is getting schooled at Memphis.
IF by "getting schooled" you mean playing over 25 minutes a game and averaging double digit points shooting 40% from the three point line at 6'9", you are correct about him.

I do hope a local high school kid does well at the next level, specially if they help the buckeyes. Interesting worthless info, Zed Key had almost the same ratings when he was offered by OSU.

IF by "getting schooled" you mean playing over 25 minutes a game and averaging double digit points shooting 40% from the three point line at 6'9", you are correct about him.
By being schooled I mean being benched, taken off “lottery pick” status, and shooting < 40% from the field. Emoni was a “once in a generation” talent, not a 6th man. Back to Austin, he’s better than Rotroff was at Wauseon. For comparison Rotroff is at Duquesne.

Last edited:
By being schooled I mean being benched, taken off “lottery pick” status, and shooting < 40% from the field. Emoni was a “once in a generation” talent, not a 6th man. Back to Austin, he’s better than Rotroff was at Wauseon. For comparison Rotroff is at Duquesne.
Emoni Bates was injured. He is back and played today with 12 points on 50% shooting.

Remember when Kenton started 2-0 because they played the worst teams in the league and suddenly they were "league title contenders?"

We all saw through that but I'm pretty sure league title contenders don't put up a goose egg in the first quarter lol.

Jan. 14
O-G 69 Bath 44
Celina 44 Elida 41
Defiance 63 Kenton 38
Wapak 67 Shawnee 50
St. Marys and Van Wert were postponed.

Jan. 21
O-G 62 Van Wert 60
St. Marys 57 Shawnee 24
Defiance 29 Elida 24
Wapak 59 Kenton 41
Bath 40 Celina 33

Close loss for Van Wert at O-G, but had to have a miracle comeback in the 4th to get that close. What happened to Shawnee? Scored 86 against Defiance but just 24 this week, and 50 in a 17-point loss last week. After winning maybe 20-some WBL games in a row, Shawnee has now lost back to back. Defiance and Elida played an enormously ugly game. Defiance never led until early in the 4th quarter.

Elida had a great game plan, taking away the middle and having a hand and a body on every pass. Plenty of open shots for Defiance, just couldn't hit them. Extremely ugly game, but at this stage of the season I'll take an ugly win and move on.

I get the 6'11 but waste of a scholarship. Parks will never average more than 3 pts per game for OSU. Not even the best player on his HS team.
Two different positions and not relevant considering recruiting. There are players D1 coaches miss, maybe Mangas is one of them but it is rare. Parks might not play much at OSU, he might transfer after a year a or two and go to a smaller D1 school but the young man is definitely a D1 player. That is probably why Indiana, OSU and Michigan State all offered him. Let look at Luke Knapke at Marion Local as a prime example. He was not the best player on ML, received a scholarship to Toledo and had a great career at Toledo. My point is, you cannot coach size and once these kids get to the next level, the coaches and trainers help make these kids stronger and much better players.

Two different positions and not relevant considering recruiting. There are players D1 coaches miss, maybe Mangas is one of them but it is rare. Parks might not play much at OSU, he might transfer after a year a or two and go to a smaller D1 school but the young man is definitely a D1 player. That is probably why Indiana, OSU and Michigan State all offered him. Let look at Luke Knapke at Marion Local as a prime example. He was not the best player on ML, received a scholarship to Toledo and had a great career at Toledo. My point is, you cannot coach size and once these kids get to the next level, the coaches and trainers help make these kids stronger and much better players.

Agreed. Parks will definately play and contribute somewhere. Just don't think it will be in the B10. Mangas is one of those rare misses. Baller.

As a soph. (Mangas) is avg. 15 pts per game at Fairmont - Parks is 6' 11 that is why he is a D - 1 recruit.
Shooting .600. 3-pt is improving. Not the prodigy might have hoped but improving nicely. He'll be D1 eventually. Read something, he's really happy there in some aviation program? If so, BG would be a good fit down the line. Maybe I'm thinking of someone else.

Shooting .600. 3-pt is improving. Not the prodigy might have hoped but improving nicely. He'll be D1 eventually. Read something, he's really happy there in some aviation program? If so, BG would be a good fit down the line. Maybe I'm thinking of someone else.
Can a 6'11 guy fly a plane?

I realize this was last year's thread, but since there isn't one for 22-23.....

League title game next week in Ottawa!

Mangas? He's not 6'11" Maybe I was thinking of the wrong player? I knew a 6'7" guy, flew for the airlines. And another 7'2" guy, Roger Murdock.
Roger Murdock looked an awful like Kareem Abdul Jabbar. I agreed with Billy on that one.