Western Buckeye League 2021

OG has improved significantly on both sides of the ball in the last few weeks. Several kids completely changed positions and it seems to have worked.

Probably would be a much tighter game if they played Wapak now, but that Goulet kid was a ridiculous athlete at QB. They had a very good RB as well.

Bath looks tough this year and it should be a great game. If they pull off the win, they'll essentially be playing VW next week for a shot at the WBL title.

VW goes down in a mild surprise.

Kenton is going to go 0-10. I think we can all celebrate that!

Impressed with fight out of Defiance this season. 3 of 5 weeks they've actually played decent to good. Past teams would have mailed it in after back to back 50 spots, but they regrouped and put together back to back impressive performances. They're still a 5 win team MAX and more likely 3, but I can admit I was wrong about Cooper. He's already got this program on the right track and the future looks bright. Or at least brighter than I thought a few months ago.

Last edited:
My goodness, history was possibly made tonight. I don't think Defiance has ever put a running clock on another team. It hasn't been 10 years since that rule has existed, has it? It also end a 15-game losing streak against Kenton.

My goodness, history was possibly made tonight. I don't think Defiance has ever put a running clock on another team. It hasn't been 10 years since that rule has existed, has it? It also end a 15-game losing streak against Kenton.

I don't remember how long it's been a thing, but I only found 4 games since 2012 that could have been close. 2012 St. Marys- 24 point win: doubtful, but maybe. 2013 Bath- 28 point win: better shot, but still probably not. 2015 Shawnee: 28 point win. Probably the best chance, but don't think so.

The closest I remember was the infamous 2018 Elida game where they were driving to take a 49-17 lead late in the 3rd, didn't capitalize, then gave up 29 unanswered to LOSE. One little TD and they ice the game, instead they had an epic meltdown.

As things stand now we have a 4-way tie for the top spot in the WBL: Van Wert, OG, Wapak and Shawnee all sit at 3-1. VW- OG is a big one next week, Shawnee still has to play Van Wert and OG. Wapak looks like they may run the table the rest of the way.

IMO it looks like 4 distinct tiers at the halfway point.

Tier 1
Van Wert
St. Marys
Wapak
OG

Not sure how to rank them since they've all kinda beaten each other, but they're the class of the league and the 4 with legit title hopes.

Tier 2
Shawnee
Bath
Elida
Defiance

Probably rank them just like that. Defiance jumps in this Tier because of the close Shawnee loss and tonight's win, but it would probably still take a perfect performance to beat either Bath or Elida. Have no problem if anyone knocks them Tier 3. Top 3 are playoff contenders, Defiance COULD sneak in with a win over Celina and an upset win.

Tier 3
Celina

Tier 4
Kenton

Celina looks like a team that on the right day could put a scare into or beat a Tier 2 team, and already beat Kenton.

Kenton will be 0-10, short of a miracle.

It's been fun the last 2 years to see more midpack teams fight the top teams and no one run away with it. Brings back memories of the late 90s/early 2000s when the only easy game was Elida.

St. Marys held a 32-14 minute time of possession advantage tonight

Week 5 Final Scores
St Marys 21, Van Wert 14
Wapak 21, Shawnee 7
O-G 35, Bath 0
Elida 42, Celina 21
Defiance 47, Kenton 14

Standings
1. Shawnee -- 4-1 (3-1)
1. Van Wert -- 4-1 (3-1)
1. O-G -- 3-2 (3-1)
1. Wapak -- 3-2 (3-1)
5. Bath -- 3-2 (2-2)
5. Elida -- 3-2 (2-2)
5. St Marys -- 3-2 (2-2)
8. Defiance -- 2-3 (1-3)
8. Celina -- 1-4 (1-3)
10. Kenton -- 0-5 (0-4)

Week 6 Games
O-G (3-2) @ Van Wert (4-1)
Shawnee (4-1) @ St Marys (3-2)
Defiance (2-3) @ Elida (3-2)
Kenton (0-5) @ Wapak (3-2)
Celina (1-4) @ Bath (3-2)

I'd say I'm most impressed by O-G and Defiance this week. O-G has been on an absolute tear since that Wapak game. Bath is a decent team this year too and the Titans just completely blanked them. It was also really nice to see Defiance get a blowout win. Haven't seen that in what feels like a long time. I also really can't believe how bad Kenton is. It sounded like the Wapak-Shawnee game could've been a bigger win for Wapak, but they had a lot of penalties. I think I heard there were two defensive PI calls that bailed out Shawnee's offense. Both Wapak and Van Wert's performances this week make me laugh a bit. Last week both Wapak and Van Wert scored the same amount in the first half as they did in their entire game this week. Talk about hot and cold, or inconsistent. I take it that the red hot VW offense was finally cooled off and had a bad night. I'm sure they'll rebound nicely. After all, the Cougars had a loss to O-G last year and then ended up winning the state title. Coincidentally, they get that rematch next week.

Ohio implemented the running clock rule beginning with the 2014 season.

I don't remember how long it's been a thing, but I only found 4 games since 2012 that could have been close. 2012 St. Marys- 24 point win: doubtful, but maybe. 2013 Bath- 28 point win: better shot, but still probably not. 2015 Shawnee: 28 point win. Probably the best chance, but don't think so.

The closest I remember was the infamous 2018 Elida game where they were driving to take a 49-17 lead late in the 3rd, didn't capitalize, then gave up 29 unanswered to LOSE. One little TD and they ice the game, instead they had an epic meltdown.
I think the C-N tweeted that tonight was the very first time, but that's not always 100% accurate. That damn Elida game might've been the last game I went to... It was a classic Defiance choke. I'd also keep Defiance in the last tier (3) with Celina and Kenton, but at the top of it. For now.
I'd say I'm most impressed by O-G and Defiance this week. O-G has been on an absolute tear since that Wapak game. Bath is a decent team this year too and the Titans just completely blanked them. It was also really nice to see Defiance get a blowout win. Haven't seen that in what feels like a long time. I also really can't believe how bad Kenton is. It sounded like the Wapak-Shawnee game could've been a bigger win for Wapak, but they had a lot of penalties. I think I heard there were two defensive PI calls that bailed out Shawnee's offense. Both Wapak and Van Wert's performances this week make me laugh a bit. Last week both Wapak and Van Wert scored the same amount in the first half as they did in their entire game this week. Talk about hot and cold, or inconsistent. I take it that the red hot VW offense was finally cooled off and had a bad night. I'm sure they'll rebound nicely. After all, the Cougars had a loss to O-G last year and then ended up winning the state title. Coincidentally, they get that rematch next week.
I was just thinking earlier how it seemed like throwback WBL football tonight...back to some low scoring games. At least among the games that didn't feature a bottom dweller. Defiance is still too one-dimensional though. No passing game, and the running game is overwhelmed by even decent defenses. The 300+ rushing yards they had tonight had to be the most in a few years at least, but that was probably more than the rest of the season combined - at least during meaningful minutes.

By the way...the 47 points Defiance scored tonight is the most since scoring 49 in 2013 in week 8, against Van Wert. The other two times Defiance scored over 40 points since then - it lost both. In another random note, I realized that with Van Wert being ranked #1 this past week, over half the WBL has achieved a #1 AP ranking at some point - Bath, Celina, Defiance, Kenton, St. Marys, and Van Wert.

Did St Mary’s get a lot of pressure on the QB or the coverage that good to keep him in check

Did St Mary’s get a lot of pressure on the QB or the coverage that good to keep him in check
Too many dropped balls. VW didn't execute offensively or defensively well at all in the first half. He(Pratt) threw his first turn over which got in his head. To add insult to injury we didn't get any calls and had two td's called back. The offensive pass interference call was pretty bad and killed any momentum we had right at the end of the first half plus taking a TD off the score. Second half was better, but we were still had drop balls. We could have tied it, but couldn't get it done at the end. Again some no calls with St Marys 12 men on the field didn't help at the end. The score honestly reflects how I think the game went and that is St. Marys was a step ahead of us all night.

Week 6 Final Scores
Wapakoneta 34, Kenton 0
St Marys 25, Shawnee 3
Bath 35, Celina 13
Van Wert 32, Ottawa-Glandorf 27
Elida 17, Defiance 7

Standings
1. Van Wert -- 5-1 (4-1)
1. Wapak -- 4-2 (4-1)
3. Bath -- 4-2 (3-2)
3. Elida -- 4-2 (3-2)
3. Shawnee -- 4-2 (3-2)
3. St Marys -- 4-2 (3-2)
3. O-G -- 3-3 (3-2)
8. Defiance -- 2-4 (1-4)
8. Celina -- 1-5 (1-4)
10. Kenton -- 0-6 (0-5)

Week 7 Games
Elida (4-2) @ Wapak (4-2)
Van Wert (5-1) @ Shawnee (4-2)
Bath (4-2) @ Defiance (2-4)
O-G (3-3) @ Celina (1-5)
St Marys (4-2) @ Kenton (0-6)

Wapak won big over winless Kenton (31-0 at half), St Marys trounced Shawnee as the Indians start falling in the standings with stiffer competition, Bath handled Celina, Elida over Defiance in what was either a great defensive game or an error prone offensive game, and then the game of the week Van Wert and O-G put together another competitive game.

Over halfway through the season and the league standings are really interesting. There looks to be a decent amount of depth in the WBL. 5 teams tied at 3-2? And then a BIG drop off to the 1-4/0-5 league bottom dwellers Defiance, Celina, and Kenton. Every team aside from those three is also either .500 or better overall. And I gotta say, O-G has to be one of the best 3-3 teams out there. Dang, they've played a tough schedule. They very likely will win out from here.

Looking ahead to next week and it's a bit of a snooze fest. Sure, there could be some upsets. But it looks like the road teams will be the clear favorites except for with Wapak.

Very impressed with Coach Moyer of Wapak last night against a Kenton team that was very bad. If he wanted to run the score up he could have like other coaches. At the half we were up 31 to 0 and in the second half it was almost entirely the second and third string kids getting to play. It was awesome to see some of them kids get some time under the bright lights of Friday night. Wapak has one hell of a kicker the Ambos girl is 18 for 18 on PAT's gives my daughters someone to look up to.

No surprises at all last night. OG-VW was a classic. Shawnee continues to not have near enough offense to contend and will barely go .500 after starting 4-0. Bath isn't great, but also not bad, certainly too much for Celina. Defiance continues to show it's good enough to compete with the middle tier, but not good enough to beat them. And of course Wapak puts the running clock on Kenton.

I expect much of the same next week, and with VW and Wapak alone with 1 loss and finished with the other contenders, it looks like the league title is for all intents and purposes decided in week 6.

1. VW
2. OG/Wapak/SM
3. Shawnee/Bath/Elida
4. Defiance
5. Celina/Kenton

This is how I look at the league. Bath has had their best roster these past two yrs and still can't break into the top half of the league. 2-6 last yr and likely 5-5 this yr for the Wildcats. Roster falls apart for them and it may be several yrs again until they can be in the middle of the league. Celina and Kenton will be improved. Will Elida and Shawnee continue to keep themselves near the top pack or fall off like Bath will? Those teams at the top are there because of talent and coaching. Elida and Shawnee need to utilize their athletes to separate themselves and put them into the top. I can potentially see them break into that group but those would be the only two schools break into that group over the next few years. I can't see Bath, Celina, Kenton, or Defiance break into that club any time soon.

1. VW
2. OG/Wapak/SM
3. Shawnee/Bath/Elida
4. Defiance
5. Celina/Kenton

This is how I look at the league. Bath has had their best roster these past two yrs and still can't break into the top half of the league. 2-6 last yr and likely 5-5 this yr for the Wildcats. Roster falls apart for them and it may be several yrs again until they can be in the middle of the league. Celina and Kenton will be improved. Will Elida and Shawnee continue to keep themselves near the top pack or fall off like Bath will? Those teams at the top are there because of talent and coaching. Elida and Shawnee need to utilize their athletes to separate themselves and put them into the top. I can potentially see them break into that group but those would be the only two schools break into that group over the next few years. I can't see Bath, Celina, Kenton, or Defiance break into that club any time soon.
Awesome thing is Wapak defense almost all the starters return next year lose a lot on offense but that defense will be scary

1. VW
2. OG/Wapak/SM
3. Shawnee/Bath/Elida
4. Defiance
5. Celina/Kenton

Kenton returns a lot from this years team. They are currently starting 3 freshmen, 11 sophomores and 4 juniors. Which a considerable amount of sophomores getting playing time on special teams. They only had a total of 5 seniors on the entire roster.

Kenton returns a lot from this years team. They are currently starting 3 freshmen, 11 sophomores and 4 juniors. Which a considerable amount of sophomores getting playing time on special teams. They only had a total of 5 seniors on the entire roster.
So they’ll be bad again next year ..