Western Buckeye League 2021

How do you guys in the WBL think the game between Wapak and ML pans out?
When ML scrimaged St. Mary's last year, I thought St. Mary's was the better team. I find this scrimage and 1st game for ML intriguing.

How do you guys in the WBL think the game between Wapak and ML pans out?
When ML scrimaged St. Mary's last year, I thought St. Mary's was the better team. I find this scrimage and 1st game for ML intriguing.
I believe ML will win this by 2 scores. They have a lot coming back and are going to be talented and already have loads of varsity experience. Wapak will have an athlete at QB but nothing ML hasn't seen the last couple years. Also bring back a solid LB in the Meckstroth kid.

I believe ML will win this by 2 scores. They have a lot coming back and are going to be talented and already have loads of varsity experience. Wapak will have an athlete at QB but nothing ML hasn't seen the last couple years. Also bring back a solid LB in the Meckstroth kid.
I think Wapak is a huge question mark in the WBL this year, after a down season do they rebound?

I think Wapak is a huge question mark in the WBL this year, after a down season do they rebound?
Maybe? I guess it depends on the QB being completely healthy. We know what ML has coming back and it is a lot. A blocked punt by NB kept them from a state championship probably.

I definitely think ML is the team to beat in D7 this year, but Wapak is a respectable D3 school.
How would state champ D3 school do against respectable D1 school?

Any word on who it might be?
Screenshot_20210512-085814.png

How do Defiance folks feel about this hire? Expected? Surprised? Optimism? Status quo? Curious to see how the Defiance football program will change philosophically with their style and cleaning up a lot of the small mistakes that, stacked upon one another, ruined a lot of their games.

I'm coming around to it. It was expected, he's a solid coach and provides continuity, plus knows the program from back in the Buti days. His issues at Wauseon were overblown, and he won. Turned things around at Bryan, taking them to their first playoff appearance and setting the program up for Kline to run with it. Took over Wauseon after the program grew stagnant in the late Emans years and got it rolling again. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Hopefully he's able to get the kids to cut out the self inflicted errors. Too many penalties and turnovers that killed any momentum we've managed to have, and that has to stop. He's young, energetic, and should get the kids fired up and buying in. If this hire doesn't work, I'm not sure what will.

Here are the WBL schedules for this upcoming season. Quick thoughts on them: If Elida keeps their momentum from last year, they could have a strong start to their season with their three-game home stand. If Kenton is going to be a threat this year, they're going to have to win some big games away from Robinson Field. It's no so far-fetched that Wapak could open the season 0-4, and then win 6 straight to head into playoffs at 6-4. Like Wapak, most WBL schedules seem a tad front loaded. I wouldn't be surprised if we see the top WBL teams with a loss or two pretty early in the season and then finish strong against the lower tier teams as they head into the playoffs.

Bath Wildcats
08/20 vs. Bowling Green
08/27 vs. Shawnee
09/03 @ Kenton
09/10 vs. Elida
09/17 @ Ottawa-Glandorf
09/24 vs. Celina
10/01 @ Defiance
10/08 vs. Wapak
10/15 @ St. Marys
10/22 @ Van Wert

Celina Bulldogs
08/20 @ Versailles
08/27 vs. Van Wert
09/03 @ Shawnee
09/10 vs. Kenton
09/17 vs. Elida
09/24 @ Bath
10/01 vs. Ottawa-Glandorf
10/08 vs. Defiance
10/15 @ Wapak
10/22 vs. St. Marys

Defiance Bulldogs
08/19 vs. Napoleon
08/27 @ St. Marys
09/03 vs. Van Wert
09/10 vs. Shawnee
09/17 @ Kenton
09/24 @ Elida
10/01 vs. Bath
10/08 @ Celina
10/15 @ Ottawa-Glandorf
10/22 vs. Wapak

Elida Bulldogs
08/20 vs. Spencerville
08/27 vs. Kenton
09/03 vs. Ottawa-Glandorf
09/10 @ Bath
09/17 @ Celina
09/24 vs. Defiance
10/01 @ Wapak
10/08 @ St. Marys
10/15 vs. Van Wert
10/22 @ Shawnee

Kenton Wildcats
08/20 @ Coldwater
08/27 @ Elida
09/03 vs. Bath
09/10 @ Celina
09/17 vs. Defiance
09/24 @ Wapak
10/01 vs. St. Marys
10/08 @ Van Wert
10/15 vs. Shawnee
10/22 vs. Ottawa-Glandorf

Ottawa-Glandorf Titans
08/20 @ Pemberville Eastwood
08/27 vs. Wapak
09/03 @ Elida
09/10 vs. St. Marys
09/17 vs. Bath
09/24 @ Van Wert
10/01 @ Celina
10/08 vs. Shawnee
10/15 vs. Defiance
10/22 @ Kenton

Shawnee Indians
08/19 vs. Lima Central Catholic
08/27 @ Bath
09/03 vs. Celina
09/10 @ Defiance
09/17 vs. Wapak
09/24 @ St. Marys
10/01 vs. Van Wert
10/08 @ Ottawa-Glandorf
10/15 @ Kenton
10/22 vs. Elida

St. Marys Memorial Roughriders
08/20 @ London
08/27 vs. Defiance
09/03 @ Wapak
09/10 @ Ottawa-Glandorf
09/17 vs. Van Wert
09/24 vs. Shawnee
10/01 @ Kenton
10/08 vs. Elida
10/15 vs. Bath
10/22 @ Celina

Van Wert Cougars
08/20 @ Bryan
08/27 vs. Celina
09/03 @ Defiance
09/10 vs. Wapak
09/17 @ St. Marys
09/24 vs. Ottawa-Glandorf
10/01 @ Shawnee
10/08 vs. Kenton
10/15 @ Elida
10/22 vs. Bath

Wapakoneta Redskins
08/20 vs. Marion Local
08/27 @ Ottawa-Glandorf
09/03 vs. St. Marys
09/10 @ Van Wert
09/17 @ Shawnee
09/24 vs. Kenton
10/01 vs. Elida
10/08 @ Bath
10/15 vs. Celina
10/22 @ Defiance

What games this year spark interest?
LCC @ Shawnee seeing these two schools play for the first in probably 30 years is awesome
OG @ Elida an early season test for Elida facing an experienced OG defense
St. Marys @ Wapak these two teams together is always a great matchup
Van Wert @ St. Marys would could be a large test for the defending state champs coming off a big game vs. Wapak the week before
OG @ Van Wert a revenge game for VW trying to avenge their only loss last year
OG @ Celina OG struggled the last time they played at Celina and it’s a hard place to win so could be a good matchup

it’s an interesting schedule because looking at it now it’s hard to see a late season matchup that decides the WBL. Maybe Van Wert at Elida?

Per Wapak coaches, this years team is giving them the feeling of the 2018 team. Wapak had a down year in 2017 going 6-4, then rebounded the next year as they won league and made the regional finals. Expectations were low for 2018 as Wapak lost a ton of starters and it seemed the teams have declined each year since Moyer became head coach.

The biggest question mark for Wapak is what weapons do they have around Goulet? He might be the best quarterback/athlete in the league, but there are big weapons on who he’s getting the ball too. The offense looked horrid at yesterday’s 7 on 7, the receivers couldn’t catch a cold. However, it seems in the past Wapak has replaced offensive weapons fairly easily.

The defense will be solid as long as they have Nick Truesdale manning the defense. Rostorfer, Meckstroth and Nick’s little brother, Joey Truesdale, are some names to watch for this year on that side of the ball.

Per Wapak coaches, this years team is giving them the feeling of the 2018 team. Wapak had a down year in 2017 going 6-4, then rebounded the next year as they won league and made the regional finals. Expectations were low for 2018 as Wapak lost a ton of starters and it seemed the teams have declined each year since Moyer became head coach.

The biggest question mark for Wapak is what weapons do they have around Goulet? He might be the best quarterback/athlete in the league, but there are big weapons on who he’s getting the ball too. The offense looked horrid at yesterday’s 7 on 7, the receivers couldn’t catch a cold. However, it seems in the past Wapak has replaced offensive weapons fairly easily.

The defense will be solid as long as they have Nick Truesdale manning the defense. Rostorfer, Meckstroth and Nick’s little brother, Joey Truesdale, are some names to watch for this year on that side of the ball.
Who did they 7 on 7? And how have other school’s 7 on 7’s been?

From what I've seen in 7 on 7 as a spectator...

Wapak looks solid
Elida could make some noise
Bath talented seniors underperformed
Celina will struggle

Any other observations or rankings before we start the season?

From what I've seen in 7 on 7 as a spectator...

Wapak looks solid
Elida could make some noise
Bath talented seniors underperformed
Celina will struggle

Any other observations or rankings before we start the season?
Who would you have as the favorite? I’m thinking the WBL is a 3 horse race with Van Wert, OG, and Wapak.

Who would you have as the favorite? I’m thinking the WBL is a 3 horse race with Van Wert, OG, and Wapak.
I don't think you can count St. Marys out of the running, they return 3/5th of their offensive line as well as their QB and will get a pair of RB's back from injury who were having good years before injuries.

On the defensive side the Riders return 5 starters and again get a couple of kids back from injury who were starting at one point too.

As far as the RB situation goes they had some kids come on late in the shortened season last year that are expected to come on strong from what I hear this season.

I don't think you can count St. Marys out of the running, they return 3/5th of their offensive line as well as their QB and will get a pair of RB's back from injury who were having good years before injuries.

On the defensive side the Riders return 5 starters and again get a couple of kids back from injury who were starting at one point too.

As far as the RB situation goes they had some kids come on late in the shortened season last year that are expected to come on strong from what I hear this season.
I know they’ll be a tough out it’s going to be interesting how much different they’ll be with Bo running things. I also heard Hinkle isn’t playing this year? I don’t know if that true but he’s a heck of a player.

The Brown kid in the middle of that Dline if he improves that is huge

Looks like Bath got turf?

So the dump got a spruce up, huh?
Wow, cool. It doesn't look like it's done yet, but here's some photos (below). They're not the best, but gives you a pretty good idea of what it'll look like. Bath may not really be a football powerhouse, but it's good to see this for their program. And their midfield logo is one of the sharpest in the league.

7 on 7 for Wapak and St. Marys is like putting lipstick on a pig its not what they do if there passing alot in a game there's trouble

7 on 7 for Wapak and St. Marys is like putting lipstick on a pig its not what they do if there passing alot in a game there's trouble
Those are usually the playoff games. You'd think the 7 on 7s would be a good opportunity for St Marys and Wapak to learn to pass the ball. I don't think either are going to simply overpower and run over the likes of Archbishop Alter, Trotwood-Madison, Badin, Bellbrook, or whoever else may be top tier in D3R12. Maybe in D4 or D5, but it hasn't worked out well for them in D3. St Marys and Wapak only average 2 to 3 completed passes per game. Even within the WBL, that's three to almost four times less than the next worst passing team. You can have an offensive philosophy that is strategically and unapologetically run-based and still have a competent passing attack.

Wow, cool. It doesn't look like it's done yet, but here's some photos (below). They're not the best, but gives you a pretty good idea of what it'll look like. Bath may not really be a football powerhouse, but it's good to see this for their program. And their midfield logo is one of the sharpest in the league.

I don't want to be that guy but that grayish silver endzone and logo looks awful. Their colors are blue and yellow. Shouldn't the endzone be blue?