West Jefferson Roughriders 2022

With the top 16 getting in, you go after the "hogs"! If you lose, you know how they hit and play. You get better during the season and make a run in the playoffs.
i’m totally with you, man. however, home field advantage is big in the first 2 rounds. in west jeff, the expectation is to get a top 4 seed. scheduling the MAC may not be a smart move because most years and to most teams that’s an “L”. however, i would love to see them play some larger schools (Alder, London, Miami Trace, Chillicothe, Washington CH) that could challenge them and if they win, get some big harbins. but that means a big school would have to agree to scheduling WJ.

on a side note, i think it would highly benefit a lot of OHC teams to schedule MAC opponents in scrimmages. prepares you very well for the regular season, but can’t hurt you if you lose!

2022 WJ Schedule with 2021 record and division:
8-19 Urbana, 2-8, DIV
8-26 at Paint Valley, 5-5, DVI
9-2 Greenon, 6-4, DV
9-9 at Cedarville, 2-8, DVII
9-16 Springfield Central Catholic, 7-4, DVII
9-23 at Springfield Northeastern, 7-4, DVI
9-30 West Liberty-Salem, 2-7, DV
10-7 at Triad, 2-8, DVI
10-14 at Fairbanks, 6-6, DVI
10-21 Mechanicsburg, 12-1, DVI
Hard to take them seriously as a state contender when they play this kind of schedule. Then again you can’t make cool graphics bragging about all your wins when you play better competition.

AHM - That's your opinion and your entitled to it. WJ was serious state title contenders in 1998, 2013 & 2019 - the schedule had nothing to do with the end result of the season, WJ just got beat.

Let me give you some additional cool graphics/stats. Between 1958 to 1990 West Jeff was 21-8-1 vs your beloved Dublin outscoring the Shamrocks 643-281 (21.43-9.37). WJ won 6 of the last 7 games in the series with the last game in 1990 resulting in a 19-8 WJ victory. If I recall, Dublin dressed over 80 players, just couldn't find 11 to beat WJ that year. The Crager brothers were on that WJ team, I believe you know one of them. These numbers are not my opinion, just facts. As for former Dublin coach Bill Conley giving your Shamrocks a boost.....I didn't see it in the games vs Dublin but yes, the black uni's looked good. If Conley was the Dublin coach in 1991, then yes the Shamrocks played with a edge that no other Dublin Coffman team has ever played with - they were out to prove that they belonged in the OAC and I believe went 10-0.

Good luck to your 2022 Dublin Coffman Shamrocks.

AHM - That's your opinion and your entitled to it. WJ was serious state title contenders in 1998, 2013 & 2019 - the schedule had nothing to do with the end result of the season, WJ just got beat.

Let me give you some additional cool graphics/stats. Between 1958 to 1990 West Jeff was 21-8-1 vs your beloved Dublin outscoring the Shamrocks 643-281 (21.43-9.37). WJ won 6 of the last 7 games in the series with the last game in 1990 resulting in a 19-8 WJ victory. If I recall, Dublin dressed over 80 players, just couldn't find 11 to beat WJ that year. The Crager brothers were on that WJ team, I believe you know one of them. These numbers are not my opinion, just facts. As for former Dublin coach Bill Conley giving your Shamrocks a boost.....I didn't see it in the games vs Dublin but yes, the black uni's looked good. If Conley was the Dublin coach in 1991, then yes the Shamrocks played with a edge that no other Dublin Coffman team has ever played with - they were out to prove that they belonged in the OAC and I believe went 10-0.

I was at many of those games. And WJ could play with anyone back then. Now they are scheduling Urbana.

Conley was gone in 1991. That was Deals first year. Undefeated season.

Last edited:
Urbana is not a school I would prefer WJ to play, I’d love to see Ready back on the schedule. The WJ Coach has done an outstanding job and whomever he chooses to play - so be it. I trust his decision based on his 15+ years of success at WJ.

I do think Urbana showed improvement last year and will be a tough opening game for a inexperienced WJ team. Last year Paint Vally lost their best player in week 1 to a season ending injury, PV came into the WJ game reeling a bit because of it. Paint Valley has 2 guys who run sub 4.5 forty’s and had a kid transfer in who will play. West Jeff better be ready to start the season or they could be 0-2.

He’s had a lot of success at WJ. And he’s no dummy. He’s going to schedule for success. And Twitter posts. and hope nobody notices the consistent thrashings the Riders take year after year in the playoffs.

This is just my opinion of course. I remember the days when they would play anyone. And in those days when WJ lost they were tough hard fought games. It paid off.
Now it seems like they schedule easy wins and when it comes down to a good team in the playoffs they get killed and are uncompetitive more often than not.

He’s had a lot of success at WJ. And he’s no dummy. He’s going to schedule for success. And Twitter posts. and hope nobody notices the consistent thrashings the Riders take year after year in the playoffs.

This is just my opinion of course. I remember the days when they would play anyone. And in those days when WJ lost they were tough hard fought games. It paid off.
Now it seems like they schedule easy wins and when it comes down to a good team in the playoffs they get killed and are uncompetitive more often than not.
the only schools that “kill” them are MAC schools and Ironton once. i don’t see your point. the MAC is on a completely different level. West Jeff would’ve been to multiple state title games if they didn’t draw the MAC in the state semi finals.

you’re blaming there scheduling for them “only” being the second or third best team in the state some years

the only schools that “kill” them are MAC schools and Ironton once. i don’t see your point. the MAC is on a completely different level. West Jeff would’ve been to multiple state title games if they didn’t draw the MAC in the state semi finals.

you’re blaming there scheduling for them “only” being the second or third best team in the state some years
You’re entitled to your view. But In this century West Jeff’s average loss in the playoffs is by 20 points a game. That’s an average. There’s been very few close losses. Anyone can see why WJ schedules the way they do.

You’re entitled to your view. But In this century West Jeff’s average loss in the playoffs is by 20 points a game. That’s an average. There’s been very few close losses. Anyone can see why WJ schedules the way they do.
i’m sorry, but West Jeff isn’t as talented as most schools in the MAC. West Jeff is well coached and they have a great culture of buy in. you seem to have some extremely high expectations for them- why is that?

i mean this with no disrespect at all to West Jeff, but each time they’ve faced off against Coldwater, i didn’t really expect it to be close.

West Jeff has beaten some very good teams in the playoffs. Fort Frye this past season was a big win. the MAC is a different animal.

i’m sorry, but West Jeff isn’t as talented as most schools in the MAC. West Jeff is well coached and they have a great culture of buy in. you seem to have some extremely high expectations for them- why is that?

i mean this with no disrespect at all to West Jeff, but each time they’ve faced off against Coldwater, i didn’t really expect it to be close.

West Jeff has beaten some very good teams in the playoffs. Fort Frye this past season was a big win. the MAC is a different animal.
I can go way back to the keel Sines days. I remember those expectations.

It's a completely different day and time now. D6 WJ plays anyone, I'm sure. I would not want to have to face that program year in and year out. You being a Dublin fan, you really have a different viewpoint when your school is in the largest division. Why doesn't DC play Moeller, St Iggy, Mentor, etc? What was the Dublin school that played and lost to a MAC school?

It's a completely different day and time now. D6 WJ plays anyone, I'm sure. I would not want to have to face that program year in and year out. You being a Dublin fan, you really have a different viewpoint when your school is in the largest division. Why doesn't DC play Moeller, St Iggy, Mentor, etc? What was the Dublin school that played and lost to a MAC school?
Coldwater beat Jerome twice. 2004 and 2005

Last edited:
I just find it amusing that a program with so much tradition like WJ plays such a soft schedule year in and year out. A program that beats its chest with graphics on the Twitter about how much they’ve won, when if you take a deeper look it looks like smoke and mirrors. Madison county schools Alder and London would love to play the Riders like they did in the old days. They can’t get a call back. But Urbana can.

With stokes we will start scheduling the best in the state.

Worth noting that, when Jerome played Coldwater, the school had just opened that fall (2004) and it didn’t graduate a senior class until the Spring of ‘06.

AHM - Regarding WJ scheduling you are not wrong but you are not completely right either. Urbana may not be a great schedule (again, they will be way better this season) but WJ has scheduled home & home games with Marion Local, Bishop Ready and JA, a 4 game series with Jackson and a one game series with Lucas & Philo. That is 10 non-conferences games right there. WJ use to open the season with Mechanisburg for 15+ years before they became a OHC league opponent beginning the 2017 season. Conference games are what they are. Those teams mentioned above do not scream a soft non-league schedule.

AHM - Nice to see after 30+ years since the last WJ-Dublin game you still care & follow WJ. No offense but you have a better chance of Harry taking your Dublin Coffman concerns/opinions/observations seriously than a WJ person taking your concerns/opinions/observations seriously regarding WJ football.

AHM - Regarding WJ scheduling you are not wrong but you are not completely right either. Urbana may not be a great schedule (again, they will be way better this season) but WJ has scheduled home & home games with Marion Local, Bishop Ready and JA, a 4 game series with Jackson and a one game series with Lucas & Philo. That is 10 non-conferences games right there. WJ use to open the season with Mechanisburg for 15+ years before they became a OHC league opponent beginning the 2017 season. Conference games are what they are. Those teams mentioned above do not scream a soft non-league schedule.

AHM - Nice to see after 30+ years since the last WJ-Dublin game you still care & follow WJ. No offense but you have a better chance of Harry taking your Dublin Coffman concerns/opinions/observations seriously than a WJ person taking your concerns/opinions/observations seriously regarding WJ football.
I have a appreciation for the good old days of West Jeff football. I’ve shared an adult beverage with Johnny Sines a time or two.

I just find it amusing that a program with so much tradition like WJ plays such a soft schedule year in and year out. A program that beats its chest with graphics on the Twitter about how much they’ve won, when if you take a deeper look it looks like smoke and mirrors. Madison county schools Alder and London would love to play the Riders like they did in the old days. They can’t get a call back. But Urbana can.

With stokes we will start scheduling the best in the state.
1. i doubt London or Alder want anything to do with West Jeff. they win, and they get harbin points from a D6 school. you lose, well then you just lost to your much smaller little brother.

2. Urbana was not a great add, i agree. but you can only schedule teams that won’t to schedule you. what’s to say that teams like North Union, Bishop Ready, etc have said “no” to playing West Jeff recently?

3. Paint Valley is a great game for West Jeff. they will challenge the Riders but WJ should win 4/5 times. good harbin points for the winner as well.

4. you can’t count the OHC slate against West Jeff. the OHC is the best league for West Jeff across all sports. personally, i wish the league could drop the 3rd crossover and let teams schedule a game instead of scheduling blowout games. the OHC North is one of the best small school divisions in all of Ohio most years

Football-Icon-968282-150x150.png

Ahhhh the good ole days…. when we opened with Courthouse and played in the CBL. On a side note, I have it on a reliable source from the chain crew back then when it consisted of Mike Hockeberry, Ron Garver, Rick Campbell, Ray Boucher, and Sharon Garver that Bill Conley said ”why can’t our big guys hit like their little guys”. Ray Boucher didn’t skip a beat and said welcome to West Jeff football. ? miss Rick, Ray, And Hock… great guys!!!!

The 7on7 scrimmage this morning went good. WJ looked good against all the teams, it was shortened by the 50 mile per hour wind and a lot of rain, WJ just started with the last team. And had to stop,

The 7on7 scrimmage this morning went good. WJ looked good against all the teams, it was shortened by the 50 mile per hour wind and a lot of rain, WJ just started with the last team. And had to stop,
What other schools did they throw against

Dock - That is correct, Westfall’s new coach is WJ alum Logan Stepp. Olentangy’s new coach Wade Bartholomew was at Bloom Carroll who WJ has scrimmage for the past several years and his dad is now coach at Chillicothe.

I’m sure the coaches appreciate/respect one another and feel they are able to get some quality looks from one another. It’s great having a Div I school come to WJ’s 7on7.

Dock - That is correct, Westfall’s new coach is WJ alum Logan Stepp. Olentangy’s new coach Wade Bartholomew was at Bloom Carroll who WJ has scrimmage for the past several years and his dad is now coach at Chillicothe.

I’m sure the coaches appreciate/respect one another and feel they are able to get some quality looks from one another. It’s great having a Div I school come to WJ’s 7on7.
DJ Mendenhall was on the staff at Teays Valley last year, too. Curious what he’s up to these days. I remember watching both guys play!

Agree and that is really cool! I’m sure he will do a great job at Westfall and get them turned around soon - they have had some very good teams in the past.