West branch coach resigns

From what I hear coach harris knows he won’t be around high school football much longer. I’m sure he wants time with his family etc. i don’t blame him. He’s groomed his OC Tim Cooper into one of the best in the area. The town should riot if they do not hire Cooper. He will pick up right where Harris left off as far as building the program.

There's a lot more in the article but here's the highlights:

Following consecutive Eastern Buckeye Conference championship seasons the past two years, the West Branch High graduate informed his players Wednesday he is resigning the held coaching post he held the past three seasons.

"The kids were surprised, but they understood my reasons," said Harris, who also is a high school guidance counselor. "I told them the decision wasn't based on health reasons. I just looked at [the long-range] future and know I won't be at the high school much longer."

Harris, who turned 57 years old in December, previously spent time as an assistant coach at Marshall University, and Cuyahoga Falls and Shelby high schools before he returned to West Branch to join head coach Jim Laut's staff.

"I started coaching 34 years ago," Harris said, "I'm 57, so I decided to [step down] at this time and give a younger guy a chance to be a head coach."

Harris opted to leave the head coaching job, but he intends on staying with the program as an assistant coach.

"I told the kids I'm not going anywhere [next season]," Harris said. "I plan staying on as an assistant coach, coaching both the offensive and the defensive lines."

That type of continuity is important to Harris, when it comes to making a decision on who replaces him as the next West Branch head football coach.

"I feel we have someone internally who can fill the job and provide both continuity and stability to the program," Harris said. "We have a good nucleus returning and I think we can continue [building] on what we've done the last two years. I still want to be a part of it, but in a different role."

There's a lot more in the article but here's the highlights:

Following consecutive Eastern Buckeye Conference championship seasons the past two years, the West Branch High graduate informed his players Wednesday he is resigning the held coaching post he held the past three seasons.

"The kids were surprised, but they understood my reasons," said Harris, who also is a high school guidance counselor. "I told them the decision wasn't based on health reasons. I just looked at [the long-range] future and know I won't be at the high school much longer."

Harris, who turned 57 years old in December, previously spent time as an assistant coach at Marshall University, and Cuyahoga Falls and Shelby high schools before he returned to West Branch to join head coach Jim Laut's staff.

"I started coaching 34 years ago," Harris said, "I'm 57, so I decided to [step down] at this time and give a younger guy a chance to be a head coach."

Harris opted to leave the head coaching job, but he intends on staying with the program as an assistant coach.

"I told the kids I'm not going anywhere [next season]," Harris said. "I plan staying on as an assistant coach, coaching both the offensive and the defensive lines."

That type of continuity is important to Harris, when it comes to making a decision on who replaces him as the next West Branch head football coach.

"I feel we have someone internally who can fill the job and provide both continuity and stability to the program," Harris said. "We have a good nucleus returning and I think we can continue [building] on what we've done the last two years. I still want to be a part of it, but in a different role."
Sounds like a first class Coach, kids from West Branch are lucky to have him

I think this happend so Cooper wouldn't go back to Reserve. Shows what a great person Coach Harris really is.
I think this has been in the works since the end of last season. You don’t just up and leave in 2 weeks. This is clearly something they have been planning for a while. Good luck to Coach Cooper if he is the one to take over

Ha, come on, Deshields is a nice QB, but Lowry is a different animal, may be the top QB in the state. Deshields and WB are good but Canfield will favorites in this game.

Ha, come on, Deshields is a nice QB, but Lowry is a different animal, may be the top QB in the state. Deshields and WB are good but Canfield will favorites in this game.
Best in the whole state? Dude cmon. Very good player but let’s not put him as “best in the state” lol. He’s an excellent QB and i think it’ll be awesome to see two of the best go at it week 1.

97B013A3-E64A-4AC8-9DDA-D7F23CEE7FDD.jpeg

Mick Walker is saying this, he’s worked with Ohio St websites and now with Cincinnati as a recruiting writer. He says so, I’m not saying he is or isn’t but Mick see’s all the top players in the state.

Canfield is a different animal compared to Salem
You said the same tired stuff all last season as EBC teams rattled off playoff win after playoff win. Just last year Canfield's Freshman lost to both Carrollton and Salem who weren't even the top teams in the conference. The delusion around the entire conference needs to stop, West Branch can absolutely hang with Canfield next season and could have last year as well

You said the same tired stuff all last season as EBC teams rattled off playoff win after playoff win. Just last year Canfield's Freshman lost to both Carrollton and Salem who weren't even the top teams in the conference. The delusion around the entire conference needs to stop, West Branch can absolutely hang with Canfield next season and could have last year as well
No and no. It’s not being disrespectful saying that Salem isn’t on the same level as Canfield. Anyone who doesn’t think that Canfield wins the EBC in a landslide is just bias of their school

No and no. It’s not being disrespectful saying that Salem isn’t on the same level as Canfield. Anyone who doesn’t think that Canfield wins the EBC in a landslide is just bias of their school
Canfield wins the league but the EBC was darn good last year. A lot of quality players. Some of them will be back next year.

I think West Branch, Salem, Carrollton, Alliance and others have had good teams and not taking anything away from them but most years Canfield would win if they were in the league. Also West Branch has a very talented QB as well, think it will be a great game next year week 1. Looking forward to seeing West Branch back on the schedule.

I think West Branch, Salem, Carrollton, Alliance and others have had good teams and not taking anything away from them but most years Canfield would win if they were in the league. Also West Branch has a very talented QB as well, think it will be a great game next year week 1. Looking forward to seeing West Branch back on the schedule.
Where’s that game at?