Well Traveled Mauro Returns To Ohio To Coach Fairview

So now we aren't just talking about the Fairview program possibly being "devastated" by this hire, we're also talking about betrayal. Jeez louise y'all are dramatic. Give me a break with that holier than thou nonsense. My two cents are that if you complete your one year contract and change jobs, or change jobs after serving your best for 2-3 years at a school... that isn't disloyal. That's fulfilling your terms of your contract. People change jobs all the time and yet we still function as a society. If any football program or business falls apart because one person in your organization left, well, your organization wasn't very strong to begin with.
consistency and continuity is crucial for many teams to succeed, so if there is a lot of staff turnover its usually doesn't allow for long term success. Now, maybe just turnover of the HC but most key assistants stick around you have a chance. But continuity might be more important.

I'm a WBL guy. Not even associated with Fairview and don't know Mauro in any personal or professional way. I think a lot of these comments show antiquated views and expectations of how school staff should not only do their jobs, but also exist in their jobs. That's been the premise of most of my posts. I'm not a bitter individual nor do I come to these discussion board to air any grievances; but I do consider myself practical and hopeful. With that said, I wish Mauro and Fairview all the success and well wishes. The kids certainly deserve it after this past year.

Big talker....."I am here for the long haul".....watch out and best of luck Fairview. I read through him the first time I met him.
Care to elaborate? Former Morrow county resident here. I was hoping things would change when he took the job and brought in the former Pleasant Coach (Kubbs) to assist.

Meh. The schools have no problems ditching coaches for all kinds of reasons. Not sure why the Coach has to have some higher level of loyalty to a school then a school has to a coach.
true, I forgot that side of it. one angry board member and its all over.

How about Earnie Simpson vs. Bob Olwin for most Head Coaching jobs?????

Olwin
1979-82 Antwerp
1983-84 Mechanicsburg
1985-88 Tiffin Calvert
1989-91 Heidelberg College OC
1992-? Ridgedale
?-1994 Arlington
1995-2007 Fairview
2008-11 Versailles
2012 Lake
2013-17 Ada
2018-19 Farview offensive assistant
2020- Edon

Care to elaborate? Former Morrow county resident here. I was hoping things would change when he took the job and brought in the former Pleasant Coach (Kubbs) to assist.
A simple google search and a review of how many places he has been says enough about a person. I knew a guy who played for him and said to watch out for the guy. All nice and involved, but looking for the next best thing and about himself. A lot of people had drank the Kool-Aid......and found out what he was really about when he up and left.

Chris was a nice addition of course (Hometown Boy with a ton of experience), but he wanted to help the year or two prior and did not get asked to do so, upset a lot of people in town. So technically Phil didn't bring him in, he just made if official. Not sure if he will be helping or not this fall. Excited to see what the new coach brings to the table.

He strikes again.....the one and done coach! How can school boards not read into his gimmicks. C'mon people

When the news broke yesterday I was kind of pissed but after a day of thinking about it, I'm pretty glad he left. I don't think he had what it takes to win any more (his terrible clock management cost us the Wayne Trace game this year) and his offense didn't seem to be clicking with our o-lineman.

We had a game this year where we threw 8 passes followed by a game throwing 27, and it was like that all season. No consistent offensive identity at all.

Also, for me personally, my oldest son starts his freshman year/season next year and I want a higher character individual coaching him than Mauro has shown himself to be.

So Fairview have anything coming up? I can see a coordinator in NW Ohio maybe wanting to take this job potentially.

So Fairview have anything coming up? I can see a coordinator in NW Ohio maybe wanting to take this job potentially.

My "conspiracy theory" is they wanted Olwin back last season but couldn't get him to leave Edon while Gallahue was still there as QB so our AD hired Mauro knowing it would be a 1-2 season deal to keep the seat warm for Bob.

I could be WAY off-base though.

My "conspiracy theory" is they wanted Olwin back last season but couldn't get him to leave Edon while Gallahue was still there as QB so our AD hired Mauro knowing it would be a 1-2 season deal to keep the seat warm for Bob.

I could be WAY off-base though.
Honestly I don't think you are. That actually seems plausable. Question is how old is Bob Olwin now?

Honestly I don't think you are. That actually seems plausable. Question is how old is Bob Olwin now?

He's getting up there but he's probably in better shape now than he was 15 years ago. That and his twin grandsons being 1.5 years away from high school (and one of them looking like Bob's son reincarnated, only better) makes me think he could give us a decent 6+ years of coaching still.

Doesn't seem like a guy who stays long at his stops. I give him three years.
I was off by a couple years. Last year I thought Kevin Kline would have been a good fit there, being an alumni and all, but now I am not sure he leaves Pleasant after one season to come back to this part of the state. Any other names being thrown around for the job besides Olwin?

I was off by a couple years. Last year I thought Kevin Kline would have been a good fit there, being an alumni and all, but now I am not sure he leaves Pleasant after one season to come back to this part of the state. Any other names being thrown around for the job besides Olwin?

If it isn't Olwin, I think it'll be either Jon McCord (Craig's son) who was our DC and DBs coach this year, or Andrew Mickey who was Rakes' DC when he was here. Mickey wanted the HC job last year and left on kind of bad terms after Mauro got it though so I'm not 100% sure he'll apply.

I'd be okay with any of these hires.

I just don't want us to go with an unknown/out of the area hire again.

We've produced a few coaches in house lately (Kline/Cooper were both alums and alum Andy Robinson just got the Montpelier job) so we shouldn't have to stray far to find one for ourselves.

Last edited:

Kline's son being at OSU I assume was a big reason in him taking that job. Pressure was mounting at Defiance, so he took the first job somewhat close to Cbus he could find. Not faulting the strategy.

My first thought was their former D-Coordinator under Rakes. Just a little strange though because you would think if he wanted the job and the administration wanted him, he would've gotten the hire last year and they never would have dealt with Mauro

Haven't heard. Hopefully not. Track record doesn't speak well. At least 4 different schools in 4 years with an excuse of why he coming in and a different one when he leaves

The only thing I'll give him here is his excuse stayed constant. Came in saying his grandkids live in NE Ohio and he wanted to be back in the state to be closer to them. Goes out not mentioning grandkids, but saying he's moving to NE Ohio.

Knowing his track record and family situation, this one is really all on Fairview. Anyone who thought he'd stay more than a year or 2 didn't do their homework.

Mauro is a nice guy but possibly only stayed at Jackson because his son went to school there at the time. And also at that time getting to play the Hoovers and McKinleys was a big D1 stage. Good but not great coach. Very good at getting high numbers into a program. Bizarre predilection for jumping around ceaselessly, obviously. I had no idea he was still coaching.

At any rate, why knock this hire?
This is exactly what everyone who knocked this hire in the first place was thinking. Mauro brought Fairview their worst record since 2015 and is gone not even 2 months after the season ended. Unless the Fairview admin knew this was going to happen and had a second hire in mind, they are in a worse position than what they started in last year.