Week 9: StX (7-1) at St. Ignatius (4-4)

ReLoad

The Jesuit Bowl will be played at Pat Catan Stadium in Strongsville, Ohio next Saturday October 16th when the Bombers (7-1) and Wildcats (4-4) square off for the 29th time.

The Bombers lead the series 15-13 which began in 1991 and includes 3 state championship games (1992, 2001 and 2016)

Strongsville Ohio will be a new locale for the teams and will be the 8th stadium used in the series, the other 7 being....
George Finnie Stadium at Baldwin Wallace College (1), Fawcett Stadium in Canton OH (2), StX Stadium (12), Lakewood Stadium (2), Byers Field in Parma (7), Don Shula Stadium at John Carroll College (3) and Ohio Stadium in Columbus (1)

The Bombers have won the past 2 contests, last season's record setting offensive explosion 62-37 on Ballaban Field and the 2019 13-10 squeaker at Byers Field in Parma

Coach Specht’s Bomber teams have beaten the Wildcats 11 of 17 games (2004-present)

The JV kickoff is at noon also at Pat Catan Stadium followed by varsity at 4pm.

GO BOMBERS!

Ig has a Semi-Tough defense that can rise up and play well (only gave up 19 to Ed-- but 21 to Moe [RT], 24 to Springfield, 27 to Hoban, and 28 to Mentor), but an offense that consistently struggles; now that X is likely to see the Ig sophomore (Papesh) who finished the Moe game (well) from the start of this game, X's defensive challenge will be to see if it can contain Ig's excellent RB, Lenehan, when he is complemented by a more effective passing game than the previous QB (Pfaff) was providing this year.

Many observers will say that this makes Ig's offense the more determinant factor in this game; however, I think regardless of who plays QB for Ig, the X defense will likely hold Ig to ~two scores. To me, the wild card is Ig's defense-- if they play as well as they did in their local rivalry game against Ed, then this game could be similarly close... if Ig's defense plays more at the level that they did in the losses to Mentor and Moe, this game could get out of hand... Moe could (perhaps should) have had two more TDs against Ig, that were called back on some arguable penalties-- meaning a Moe offense (with Moe's fastest player, White) that scored 16 vs. X, might well have had 35 in RT against Ig (playing without White)-- THAT does not bode well for Ig in this matchup.

The other consideration (which is ALWAYS a factor in these NE OH vs. SW OH matchups-- which is ALSO the reason I hate that the state championship game has moved back to Canton for this year) is the travel for the visiting team: Ig had to make the ~5 hour bus trip down I-71 to play Moe last week-- it will be X that makes that trip to Ig's "home field" (this week) in Strongsville. Anybody who thinks that doesn't affect the play of the (long) traveling team, doesn't know much about the factors that affect athletic performance. Maybe that factor alone accounts for the difference in Ig's defense's much better performance vs. Ed than Moe.

Because Ig's performance has been so uneven this year, it's hard to handicap this game-- but I think X will win-- with the big variable being Ig's defense:
Ig 34
3 OTs
(with apologies to EagleFan...
given my prediction that the X defense will hold the Ig offense to ~2 scores, this implies that Ig's defense will score ~3 times on X's offense or special teams-- given Ig's success this season with blocked kicks, perhaps not out of the question... I just hope X can keep it close;))

Iggy Moe game, Iggy offense in 1st half was painful to watch. I was hoping 81 could throw it to himself. Ha! 2nd half much better with sophomore QB. A lot of mistakes by Moe kept Iggy in the game. Ig D is stout when it needs to be. Shut down Lenehan and 81 and put the heat on the sophomore QB and it might be a long day for the Cats.

I think whenever Eds travels to Cincy, they go the night before so travel isn't a big issue. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Ignatius has mostly stayed overnight when going to Cincinnati. Not sure why they didn’t yesterday - minimizing COVID risk is all I can think of.

Ignatius has mostly stayed overnight when going to Cincinnati. Not sure why they didn’t yesterday - minimizing COVID risk is all I can think of.
We've been told (by Specht) that X has stopped traveling the night before, for the Jesuit Bowl, to cut expenses-- with ~120+ players, probably ~20 team staff members, ~50+ band members and staff, etc., it was quite costly to provide room & board for that hoard...

I would assume that Ig has decided to do the same thing, on its return trip(s) down here-- that's why these games are scheduled for Saturday afternoons: depart early Saturday morning, arrive mid-day, a short recovery period from the bus trip, play the game, and then immediately get back on the bus to get home late Saturday night--not really a "fun" day.

That's why I hope we never see the GCL forced to create a league with Cleveland teams in it-- one trip like that every other year is MORE than enough-- and (unfortunately), X made a similar trip already, to (nearly) the outskirts of Chicago, to play Mishiwaka Penn in Northwestern Indiana (not to mention a 2+ hour trip to play Olentangy Liberty-- with BOTH of those games effectively over by the end of the 1st quarter)... Plus, if a team from SW Ohio makes it to the state title game, now, with ALL of the final games in Canton, it adds ANOTHER trip of similar length to the schedule-- it starts to feel like playing minor league baseball. I'd submit that X would have been better off playing only 9 games this year, and skipping the trip to Mishiwaka-- if that was the tradeoff on offer; at least with "Football North", that "team" came down to play here.

Last edited:
We've been told (by Specht) that X has stopped traveling the night before, for the Jesuit Bowl, to cut expenses-- with ~120+ players, probably ~20 team staff members, ~50+ band members and staff, etc., it was quite costly to provide room & board for that hoard...

I would assume that Ig has decided to do the same thing, on its return trip(s) down here-- that's why these games are scheduled for Saturday afternoons: depart early Saturday morning, arrive mid-day, a short recovery period from the bus trip, play the game, and then immediately get back on the bus to get home late Saturday night--not really a "fun" day.

That's why I hope we never see the GCL forced to create a league with Cleveland teams in it-- one trip like that every other year is MORE than enough-- and (unfortunately), X made a similar trip already, to (nearly) the outskirts of Chicago, to play Mishiwaka Penn in Northwestern Indiana (not to mention a 2+ hour trip to play Olentangy Liberty-- with BOTH of those games effectively over by the end of the 1st quarter)... Plus, if a team from SW Ohio makes it to the state title game, now, with ALL of the final games in Canton, it adds ANOTHER trip of similar length to the schedule-- it starts to feel like playing minor league baseball. I'd submit that X would have been better off playing only 9 games this year, and skipping the trip to Mishiwaka-- if that was the tradeoff on offer; at least with "Football North", that "team" came down to play here.
One of the great traditions that had developed from this rivalry was that, at the JV level, the home team players' families hosted a couple of the other team's players on the Friday night before the game. Saved the expense of those guys having to stay in a hotel as well. Too bad this no longer seems to be the case.

One of the great traditions that had developed from this rivalry was that, at the JV level, the home team players' families hosted a couple of the other team's players on the Friday night before the game. Saved the expense of those guys having to stay in a hotel as well. Too bad this no longer seems to be the case.
I recall that tradition-- and it was a nice tradition-- but it didn't solve the (much bigger) problem of the costs for the varsity teams to be fed and housed overnight; thus, we have the all-day marathon that is the current draining experience for these NEOH/SWOH games-- unless they start agreeing to meet in the middle, and play in Columbus somewhere (which I think X DID do once, with somebody, at Columbus DeSales' field-- not sure about that, though)...

Ignatius and Moeller played in Columbus for a number of years, maybe ‘14-17 or so. Much easier travel situation, although it basically guarantees no fans.

The Wildcats 4 losses have been by a total of 9 points.
Two of those losses were to 8-0 teams St. Edward and Springfield
The defense and special teams are playing well enough for the Wildcats to be undefeated if not for the issues at the QB position (injury followed by inexperience).

The Bombers stumbled in Week 7 losing by a point to a visiting winless Louisville Trinity team.
A great majority of the Bomber faithful pin the loss on a nut job Yappi poster who supplied the opponent with locker room bulletin board material by publicly wishing for a different opponent, specifically Center Grove.
I believe the game was lost on the field and injuries to 3 key players played a role.
All 3 were back for last weeks 49-14 win over LaSalle, a victory which secured the GCL-S title and less importantly King of the Road trophy.

As happens toward the end of every season, the Bomber varsity roster was updated with JV players eligible for the final 2 game and the post season. Five players were added a LB to help on special teams, a QB prepping for next season, a DLineman for depth and a couple of cornerbacks, the position exploited by Trinity in the aforementioned loss.

Last edited:
Cleveland St. Ignatius (X leads series 15-13)
1991 X lost 39-10 Week 9 at George Finnie Stadium at Baldwin Wallace College
1992 X lost 24-14 State Championship at Fawcett Stadium
1996 X lost 35-14 Week 9 at Ballaban Stadium
1997 X lost 19-14 Week 9 at Lakewood Stadium
1999 X won 50-33 Week 9 at Lakewood Stadium
2000 X lost 29-10 Week 9 at Ballaban Stadium
2001 X won 42-41 Week 9 at Byers Field in Parma
2001 X lost 37-6 State Championship at Fawcett Stadium
2002 X won 18-17 Week 9 at Ballaban Stadium
2003 X won 20-17 Week 9 at Byers Field in Parma
2004 X won 13-10 Week 9 at Ballaban Field
2005 X won 22-0 Week 9 at Byers Field in Parma
2006 X won 17-0 Week 9 at Ballaban Field
2007 X won 17-14 Week 9 at Byers Field in Parma
2008 X lost 19-16 in OT Week 9 at Ballaban Field
2009 X lost 30-21 Week 9 at John Carroll
2010 X won 19-9 Week 9 at Ballaban Field
2011 X won 14-12 Week 9 at John Carroll
2012 X lost 32-21 Week 9 at Ballaban Field
2013 X won 13-10 Week 9 at John Carroll
2014 X won 24-10 Week 9 at Ballaban Field
2015 X lost 34-20 Week 9 at Byers Field in Parma
2016 X lost 31-14 Week 9 at Ballaban Field
2016 X won 27-20 (2 OT) State Championship at Ohio Stadium in Columbus
2017 X lost 28-14 Week 9 at Byers Field in Parma
2018 X lost 27-20 Week 9 at Ballaban Field
2019 X won 13-10 Week 9 at Byers Field in Parma
2020 X won 62-37 Week 6 at Ballaban Field

Average margin of victory: 11 points

After watching the Moe- Ignatius game yesterday, I don't know what to make of Ignatius. They have a big line, but seemed to give up pressures easily. 25 looked like their best player aside from Spellacy who is really good. They hung tough when it looked like they were going to get blown out, then couldn't sustain. They should have run all over Moeller. I just don't get it.

I think X wins by 16 or so, Ignatius has seemed to rise to the level if their competition this year. If they can't pass and X can sit on the run it's going to be tough. X receivers should have a big game.

StX vs St. Ignatius by the Numbers
Average Margin of Victory: 11 points
Average Points per Game: 41
Average Score per Game: 26-15
State Championships (3): Ignatius leads 2-1
X record on Ballaban Field: 6-6
X record on the road (all non home games) 9-7
Winning Streaks: St. Ignatius 4 (1991-1997) StX 6 (2002-2007)
Specht vs Kyle: StX leads 11-7

5 Favorite Jesuit Bowls in order:
1. 2016 State Championship OT win at Columbus Stadium
2. 2001 Regular Season 42-41 win scored 21 unanswered 4th quarter points shocking the Wildcat home crowd
3. 1999 50-33 win Steve Sollman 6 TD game at Lakewood in a downpour, hyped by teams on the Cheerios Box
4. 2020 Record setting 62-37 win as Brogan McCaughey and Liam Clifford shatter single game records
5. 2007 Fantastic defensive struggle in windy Parma as Danny Milligan hits the FG in double OT to preserve the perfect season for the best StX team in Bomber history

5 Least Favorite Jesuit Bowls in order
1. 2001 State Championship beat down, Mooney no time to throw and defense couldn't stop Szepf, Welo and Gonzalez
2. 1992 State Championship loss after leading 14-10 at the half, the offense inept in 2nd half with QB and RB on sidelines
3. 2012 Wearing pink uniforms the Bombers were unable to stop Tim McVey (36 carries for 145 yards and 4 TDs)
4. 2017 An undefeated Bomber team (8-0) is unable to stop Jahadge Floyd (36 carries for 215 yards)
5. 2008 Bomber defense led by seniors Luke Kuechly and Pat Muldoon hold Iggy to 10 first downs and 150 yards but lose in OT due to injury depleted offense. Team misses playoffs.

After watching the Moe- Ignatius game yesterday, I don't know what to make of Ignatius. They have a big line, but seemed to give up pressures easily. 25 looked like their best player aside from Spellacy who is really good. They hung tough when it looked like they were going to get blown out, then couldn't sustain. They should have run all over Moeller. I just don't get it.

I think X wins by 16 or so, Ignatius has seemed to rise to the level if their competition this year. If they can't pass and X can sit on the run it's going to be tough. X receivers should have a big game.
Just my opinion, but the offense Ignatius runs doesn't fit the personnel trying to run it.

You have a RB that would be ideal in an I formation. Instead he stands there, is handed the ball with no momentum, and looks for something to run through.

Countless 4th and shorts and still in a shotgun.

Zero freezing of the LBS because the offense doesn't do play action. WRs don't get separation.

And the QB play has been abysmal along with the play calling overall.

StX vs St. Ignatius by the Numbers
Average Margin of Victory: 11 points
Average Points per Game: 41
Average Score per Game: 26-15
State Championships (3): Ignatius leads 2-1
X record on Ballaban Field: 6-6
X record on the road (all non home games) 9-7
Winning Streaks: St. Ignatius 4 (1991-1997) StX 6 (2002-2007)
Specht vs Kyle: StX leads 11-7

5 Favorite Jesuit Bowls in order:
1. 2016 State Championship OT win at Columbus Stadium
2. 2001 Regular Season 42-41 win scored 21 unanswered 4th quarter points shocking the Wildcat home crowd
3. 1999 50-33 win Steve Sollman 6 TD game at Lakewood in a downpour, hyped by teams on the Cheerios Box
4. 2020 Record setting 62-37 win as Brogan McCaughey and Liam Clifford shatter single game records
5. 2007 Fantastic defensive struggle in windy Parma as Danny Milligan hits the FG in double OT to preserve the perfect season for the best StX team in Bomber history

5 Least Favorite Jesuit Bowls in order
1. 2001 State Championship beat down, Mooney no time to throw and defense couldn't stop Szepf, Welo and Gonzalez
2. 1992 State Championship loss after leading 14-10 at the half, the offense inept in 2nd half with QB and RB on sidelines
3. 2012 Wearing pink uniforms the Bombers were unable to stop Tim McVey (36 carries for 145 yards and 4 TDs)
4. 2017 An undefeated Bomber team (8-0) is unable to stop Jahadge Floyd (36 carries for 215 yards)
5. 2008 Bomber defense led by seniors Luke Kuechly and Pat Muldoon hold Iggy to 10 first downs and 150 yards but lose in OT due to injury depleted offense. Team misses playoffs.
Not to mention a straight-on, toe-kicking placekicker wearing a square-toed kicking shoe (in 2008!), who was not a sure thing to even convert a point-after touchdown, let alone a ~20-yard FG-- which he ALSO failed to do in that game-- one of the WORST St. X special teams squads in the Specht era-- though that season's place-kicking futility was later matched for several YEARS, until Rohmiller's emergence recently. That 2008 game was lost on the tip of that square-toed kicking shoe.

Just my opinion, but the offense Ignatius runs doesn't fit the personnel trying to run it.

You have a RB that would be ideal in an I formation. Instead he stands there, is handed the ball with no momentum, and looks for something to run through.

Countless 4th and shorts and still in a shotgun.

Zero freezing of the LBS because the offense doesn't do play action. WRs don't get separation.

And the QB play has been abysmal along with the play calling overall.
I agree completely. Lenahan is a better power back than scat back, and that would take more advantage of the size of the line. I hate to say it, because I think he is a legend, but I think it is time for Kyle to hang up the headset, and for the entire coaching cupboard to be emptied there.

I agree completely. Lenahan is a better power back than scat back, and that would take more advantage of the size of the line. I hate to say it, because I think he is a legend, but I think it is time for Kyle to hang up the headset, and for the entire coaching cupboard to be emptied there.
Keep the Zinger though.

Other than Franzinger, the entire Varsity coaching staff is average at best.

I recall that tradition-- and it was a nice tradition-- but it didn't solve the (much bigger) problem of the costs for the varsity teams to be fed and housed overnight; thus, we have the all-day marathon that is the current draining experience for these NEOH/SWOH games-- unless they start agreeing to meet in the middle, and play in Columbus somewhere (which I think X DID do once, with somebody, at Columbus DeSales' field-- not sure about that, though)...
Xavier vs. St Edward at Columbus DeSales was fall of 2007 I believe.

Xavier vs. St Edward at Columbus DeSales was fall of 2007 I believe.
Yes, Week 8 October 13, 2007; X 45 St. Ed 0
I was there and they didn't play in a stadium, it was on a practice field with no stands.
StX starting QB John Hurley broke his leg in that game and Luke Massa came in as a sophomore and played a near perfect game (5 for 5 for 122 yards and 2 TDs)
Granted he entered the game in the 2nd quarter with a 28-0 lead and the Bomber defense was in the process of holding Eds to 139 total yards for the game but he made some great throws

Last edited:
Other than Franzinger, the entire Varsity coaching staff is average at best
They have been in all 8 games (4 losses by a total of 12 points) and their opponents cumulative record is 38-21.
Maybe the sentiment is that they get out coached in close games since they have lost 4 of 5 one score games (beat Hoban by 6).

They have been in all 8 games (4 losses by a total of 12 points) and their opponents cumulative record is 38-21.
Maybe the sentiment is that they get out coached in close games since they have lost 4 of 5 one score games (beat Hoban by 6).
Or maybe those of us that have been following the program for 30+ years see and know a little more?

Losses are losses, if they're by 4 or 40. There have been a lot of them in recent years, with either coaches trying to force certain offensive schemes, or sticking with things that clearly aren't effective.

The only outlier to this is Hoban. The Knights have been on a dominating D2 run, yet they have lost all but one recent contest to one good, one average, and a below average Ignatius team. The only game they won was a 21-14 contest.

As for this game, I've watched X shut out much more talented Ignatius teams. Forecast calls for rain in Strongsville. That might be the only way this game stays close.

Last edited:
Ignatius played Moeller somewhere in the Columbus area. As I recall, both schools were dissatisfied with the mid-Ohio location.
2014-2017. First two were at one of the Dublins (Coffman?), second two were at Otterbein University. They split at each location for a total of 2-2 record.