Week 8: Elder (5-2) vs. Indianapolis Roncalli (7-0)

Ok. Two things. I just rewatched the YouTube replay of the last play. The Roncalli kid clearly comes running from the end zone his Left foot is clearly out of bounds he then leaps and tips the ball to a teammate. Game over and ref is right there and makes the right call.
Other thing- is there a 10 second run off in high school football? With 46 seconds to go and Roncalli out of time outs. Roncalli player suddenly has an injury. If 10 second run off Elder does not have to run a play. Game over

I was confused by that also. Cowans is #51 on the roster. There is no #43 on the roster. I suppose it's possible he doesn't have a 51 white jersey. I also saw Autenrieb play some. I was just repeating what Ramsey said in pregame on PSRN.
I think it's an eligible receiver issue. #51 isn't eligible and #43 is.

Last edited:
Ok. Two things. I just rewatched the YouTube replay of the last play. The Roncalli kid clearly comes running from the end zone his Left foot is clearly out of bounds he then leaps and tips the ball to a teammate. Game over and ref is right there and makes the right call.
Other thing- is there a 10 second run off in high school football? With 46 seconds to go and Roncalli out of time outs. Roncalli player suddenly has an injury. If 10 second run off Elder does not have to run a play. Game over
No there is not that's a Pro/College rule, not a HS rule. But in IHSAA football, I guess the play clock is 40 seconds instead of the 25-second play clock in Ohio. That worked out in Elder's favor as they were able to run the clock down to 5 seconds before running the final play to end the game.

Forget this. This question does not apply to the circumstance. The clock started when they got the kid off the field and Elder let it run down to 5 seconds

No there is not that's a Pro/College rule, not a HS rule. But in IHSAA football, I guess the play clock is 40 seconds instead of the 25-second play clock in Ohio. That worked out in Elder's favor as they were able to run the clock down to 5 seconds before running the final play to end the game.
Ohio switched to 40 second clock also a few years ago.

One more important call out from last week is the huge play by Paff stripping the RB in stride to eventually convert to a score. Without that play we likely lose or potentially give up another score. This play got lost in what happened at the end of the game and the boy needs to be recognized.

What would be nice is having a visible play clock for all games. If the smaller schools don’t have the infrastructure to support it, that’s fine, but there’s no D1 school that can’t find the $ & space to put up a play clock at both ends of the field. It’s ridiculously inefficient to have the back judge raise his hand with 10 secs left.