Week 7: Trinity

Trinity gave X problems with their speed as the long punt return that led to a TD and the long run towards the end come to mind.

The 2 QB System definitely doesn’t ever work for weeks or months at a time. Week 8 and St. X doesn’t have a consistent or average Starting QB and Lineman Playing entire Games Both ways. This is getting to be comical and the Head Coach and Staff are to experienced for this to be happening.

The 2 QB System definitely doesn’t ever work for weeks or months at a time. Week 8 and St. X doesn’t have a consistent or average Starting QB and Lineman Playing entire Games Both ways. This is getting to be comical and the Head Coach and Staff are to experienced for this to be happening.
It's pretty obvious having Herbstreit start the season as QB1 was an error. There's time to fix it, but coaches have to get over their own egos and make the changes necessary without worrying about the political aspect of the big name.

He had some Power 5 offers and instead took advantage of being able to go to an Ivy League school. He kept his recruiting very quiet. I never got the sense he was on great terms with Specht. I commend his decision.
You hear this often that successful kids don't see eye to eye with their coach.

How can this be? McCaughey was pretty darn good, how can coach and successful QB not see eye to eye?

He had some Power 5 offers and instead took advantage of being able to go to an Ivy League school. He kept his recruiting very quiet. I never got the sense he was on great terms with Specht. I commend his decision.
I don't think Specht really aids in recruitment outside of just giving his opinion on a player if someone calls and asks. Like he isn't working the phones and reaching out to connections.

I don't think Specht really aids in recruitment outside of just giving his opinion on a player if someone calls and asks. Like he isn't working the phones and reaching out to connections.
I have heard this from a number of people which seems kind of odd because Football is the one sport where there is no Club season. High School football is the only season and your only coaches.

I'm guessing because the power sets severely restrict the play calling options and cause too many defensive starters to play both ways. It's too late in the season to fully go to a triple option offense, though this and RPO are probably the best match for the personnel X has. They made the bet that 7 was going to take the jump in understanding how to read a defense, and it hasn't happened. Kid has plenty of arm talent, more than Rueve had a few years back, and probably equal to McCaughey, he just can't seem to be able to get the mental aspect of the position.
I don't know if I agree with the "arm talent" comment-- if accuracy is a component of "arm talent", he struggles mightily there-- and I don't think pure arm strength is a strength (no pun intended) either-- there have been some longer balls that were more like mortar rounds than cruise missiles...

This is what happens when you run this mickey mouse offensive scheme. Not defending 7, but WTH do they expect when a player is thrown in and out of the game. A 2 QB system has proven time and again at all levels it doesn't work.
Historically, there HAVE been 2 QB systems that work-- Florida won a national title with Tim Tebow splitting time (as a ~sophomore) with a senior and I even recall some NFL teams having playoff seasons (or even Super Bowl years) with QBs splitting time (though usually because of injury rather than by design)...

The problem (as I see it) is that the best QB on this team is playing DB now...

It wasn’t like 7 was lighting it on fire before this new offensive wrinkle. They tried to find some sort of spark, and right or wrong it seemed to be working. They have to do some soul searching as the regular season is quickly coming to a close.
What are #3's passing stats for the season (on varsity)? I know he completed (a very short) one late in the game against Trinity-- but I fear that is the only so far this year-- and the other attempts have not been close...

Without a threat to throw the ball back there, I don't think this Stone Age, all-run, one option (where that one option is neither extraordinarily fast nor particularly elusive) offense is going to be successful against good defenses with good athletes on the other side of the line (as we saw against Trinity)-- Elder's defense is/was NOT a good measuring stick...

#3 kind of reminds me of the ~3rd RB option on the 2005-2007 teams, Luca Romeo-- kind of tall, with decent speed and decent power, but not real shifty-- reliable for spelling Ashley, Berning, etc., and usually good for 3-6 yards a play, with the excellent offensive scheme (and line) that those teams featured...

But I can't imagine those teams putting Luca back there to run the ball, as the sole option, on 80-90% of the snaps-- of course, that's because those teams had other (better) options-- but also because it probably would have been unsuccessful, over the course of a full season, if that HAD been those team's best option...

Oh, and this team's frequency of committing offensive penalties (whether false starts or holding) is so high, it makes it REALLY hard for a short yardage, grind-it-out, offensive scheme to sustain any drives-- because, inevitably, on almost every series, you're going to be facing a 2nd and 20 or 3rd and 10, and this scheme is just NOT suited to converting on those kind of long yardage down-and-distance situations.

I wonder how the Bomber defense is going to respond to the Shamrock speed on the edge. Hopefully the Bomber defense can get some turnovers and force the Trinity freshman QB to struggle against this lockdown defense with 5 forced interceptions, 2 forced fumbles, and 1 fumble recovery. I am ecstatic to watch this game tonight.
Were you still "ecstatic" to watch that game, as it unfolded?

Were you still "ecstatic" to watch that game, as it unfolded?
I was quite embarrassed on how the Bombers played this weekend. They have a big match up against Lasalle that would help them hold rights to the King of the Road trophy and keep it for a fourth year in a row. I’m not sure if there will be any playoff momentum if they do not get another win. Who knows?

What are #3's passing stats for the season (on varsity)? I know he completed (a very short) one late in the game against Trinity-- but I fear that is the only so far this year-- and the other attempts have not been close...

Without a threat to throw the ball back there, I don't think this Stone Age, all-run, one option (where that one option is neither extraordinarily fast nor particularly elusive) offense is going to be successful against good defenses with good athletes on the other side of the line (as we saw against Trinity)-- Elder's defense is/was NOT a good measuring stick...

#3 kind of reminds me of the ~3rd RB option on the 2005-2007 teams, Luca Romeo-- kind of tall, with decent speed and decent power, but not real shifty-- reliable for spelling Ashley, Berning, etc., and usually good for 3-6 yards a play, with the excellent offensive scheme (and line) that those teams featured...

But I can't imagine those teams putting Luca back there to run the ball, as the sole option, on 80-90% of the snaps-- of course, that's because those teams had other (better) options-- but also because it probably would have been unsuccessful, over the course of a full season, if that HAD been those team's best option...

Oh, and this team's frequency of committing offensive penalties (whether false starts or holding) is so high, it makes it REALLY hard for a short yardage, grind-it-out, offensive scheme to sustain any drives-- because, inevitably, on almost every series, you're going to be facing a 2nd and 20 or 3rd and 10, and this scheme is just NOT suited to converting on those kind of long yardage down-and-distance situations.
The issue as I see it is the OC doesn't call pass plays for him. Yeah it's really easy to defend run when you know it's going to be run 90% of the time. It would serve them better if they kept this offense to have more pass plays built off of the formation.

I don't think this is an OC issue. I can't imagine any HS team like StX running this type of Offense without the Head Coach giving clear direction he wants to see the ground and pound. The OC is trying to call plays within the framework he has been given. QB1 has maybe not developed into the QB they thought he would be at this point but I think we have to acknowledge he played well enough for StX to beat Moeller. What happened during that game can't be on QB1. Something has to give because you can't keep playing all of these guys both ways and think it is sustainable or even in the team's best interest. If they don't think QB1 is good enough then give #3 the snaps he needs in practice to run the regular offense or bring back the starting QB from last season. Get the team in the right frame of mine and ready for the playoffs.

It's pretty obvious having Herbstreit start the season as QB1 was an error. There's time to fix it, but coaches have to get over their own egos and make the changes necessary without worrying about the political aspect of the big name.
Is Specht afraid Herbstreit will transfer for his sr yr if he doesn't keep playing him?

I agree that the 2QB idea is usually not good. Maybe, they should put the guy from last year back in at QB because this 2 QB approach isnt working as we have lost 2 weeks in a row employing that approach.

Is Specht afraid Herbstreit will transfer for his sr yr if he doesn't keep playing him?
I don't know, maybe. But there seems to be more under the surface than just it being performance based.

Vollmer had 281 yards rushing in a game. I'm guessing he's also a decent thrower. I just don't get it.

I'm sure there is alot of pressure to play the big name.

I don't know, maybe. But there seems to be more under the surface than just it being performance based.

Vollmer had 281 yards rushing in a game. I'm guessing he's also a decent thrower. I just don't get it.

I'm sure there is alot of pressure to play the big name.
They still have not tried Vollmer at QB for a full series in a regular formation. Would love to see him get a couple of series out of a basic set mixing in RB runs, QB runs, short passes, long passes. What's the harm in giving it a try? It's pretty obvious to everyone watching.

You hear this often that successful kids don't see eye to eye with their coach.

How can this be? McCaughey was pretty darn good, how can coach and successful QB not see eye to eye?
This may actually be the case more than you think in HS and College. There are a number of HS &College Players who don’t see eye to eye with Coaches but they still give 110% while on the Field to do what the Coaches ask of them. This can benefit the Team and the Individual Player. Most times Player and Coach understand this.

Trinity gave X problems with their speed as the long punt return that led to a TD and the long run towards the end come to mind.
No doubt. Speed on both sides of the ball.

Defensively Trinity's LBs and safeties were quick to the ball and accounted for 80% of the tackles and 7 tackles for loss
Vollmer still rushed for 100 yards.

Offensively Trinity's #3 accounted for 73% of the teams total yards (172 of 234 yards) and more than half of his yards came on 2 plays - the 57 yards TD reception where he got behind a corner and the 34 yard carry in the 4th quarter.
The punt return was only 23 yards but it gave them a short field.

X's defense did a great job limiting Trinity to 10 first downs.
Clapper and O'Malley combined for 15 tackles.

No doubt. Speed on both sides of the ball.

Defensively Trinity's LBs and safeties were quick to the ball and accounted for 80% of the tackles and 7 tackles for loss
Vollmer still rushed for 100 yards.

Offensively Trinity's #3 accounted for 73% of the teams total yards (172 of 234 yards) and more than half of his yards came on 2 plays - the 57 yards TD reception where he got behind a corner and the 34 yard carry in the 4th quarter.
The punt return was only 23 yards but it gave them a short field.

X's defense did a great job limiting Trinity to 10 first downs.
Clapper and O'Malley combined for 15 tackles.
Our DB play has left a lot to be desired in crucial situations. Gave up a few big plays in this game as well as in Elder game that changed the momentum

Reactions: 4GX