Week 6: Elder(2-3) vs. St. Xavier(5-0)

It is not only Moeller's basketball program that pushes players to only play basketball, but their baseball coaches are just as bad or worse at asking their best players to play a single sport. I don't understand this mentality. Specht and StX really push for kids to play multiple sports and I think it pays off
Absolutely! Things have changed so much since I was there. Some for the good, other things not (in my opinion). I understand most changes and I’m a realist, but that crap about doing one sport has cost them football players. I’m a football guy so it makes me disgruntled ?. Others don’t care.

Yeah, it’s still not hard to get in. And the first question from that review board is “Did your dad go here?” Don’t sell me this bs that they’re only taking “A” students.
I personally know legacies that didn't get in and they weren't even necessarily terrible students. Didn't perform all that well on the entrance test and didn't have a stellar enough record beyond it and didn't get in. The standard is still there despite what you may think

It is not only Moeller's basketball program that pushes players to only play basketball, but their baseball coaches are just as bad or worse at asking their best players to play a single sport. I don't understand this mentality. Specht and StX really push for kids to play multiple sports and I think it pays off
Especially doesn't make a lot of sense for a sport like baseball where we can't even play it up here for a solid portion of the year

Wrong again- my son had to sit for that, and they already have that information from the application. Try again.
I went to college with plenty of those kids. It’s not THAT hard to get in. I know it’s tough to not have your a** kissed every second of the day, but it’s the truth.

I personally know legacies that didn't get in and they weren't even necessarily terrible students. Didn't perform all that well on the entrance test and didn't have a stellar enough record beyond it and didn't get in. The standard is still there despite what you may think
And I know plenty who weren’t that smart, but got in bc their dad was a graduate. I’m not even saying that to bash X, just don’t feed us this crap that you’re only getting the cream of the crop.

The standard is lowered for certain students. X has an entire department to get get minorities and non catholics to attend their school. Over 20% of their enrollment are non catholics. The Diversity Program sounds better than Presidential Scholarships.

The standard is lowered for certain students. X has an entire department to get get minorities and non catholics to attend their school. Over 20% of their enrollment are non catholics. The Diversity Program sounds better than Presidential Scholarships.
And there’s nothing wrong with that, just stop blowing smoke. A quasi diligent student is able to get in.

There is no question, diversity, legacy, and academics are all part of the admissions equation at X. If you don’t think they should be that is fine, your entitled to your opinion. Athletics is not. If you want to believe something different that is also fine don’t really care. This seems to work for them and there is not an issue with enrollment.

One area I believe Elder could improve on is the use of their “scholarship dollars”. I could be wrong, but I believe if you are in the honors program at elder you are on scholarship. Elder needs to have an “honors program.” But I don’t believe in its current form they are getting a return on their investment. How many of the kids on scholarship in the Honors program wouldn’t go to Elder with or without the scholarship dollars? They are getting a more expensive education and paying less for it. That scholarship money would be better spent on a diversity or need based program. I’m sure people will tell me how wrong I am but I’m trying not to be like Trey and complain without offering any solutions.

There is no question, diversity, legacy, and academics are all part of the admissions equation at X. If you don’t think they should be that is fine, your entitled to your opinion. Athletics is not. If you want to believe something different that is also fine don’t really care. This seems to work for them and there is not an issue with enrollment.

One area I believe Elder could improve on is the use of their “scholarship dollars”. I could be wrong, but I believe if you are in the honors program at elder you are on scholarship. Elder needs to have an “honors program.” But I don’t believe in its current form they are getting a return on their investment. How many of the kids on scholarship in the Honors program wouldn’t go to Elder with or without the scholarship dollars? They are getting a more expensive education and paying less for it. That scholarship money would be better spent on a diversity or need based program. I’m sure people will tell me how wrong I am but I’m trying not to be like Trey and complain without offering any solutions.
This is a garbage statement. I have provided millions of solutions and this was exactly one of them.

This is also a solution I said could work. But I got bombarded with “it’s not fair that they would get special treatment”, even though that’s how it works.

People that say I haven’t offered solutions are blind.

This is also a solution I said could work. But I got bombarded with “it’s not fair that they would get special treatment”, even though that’s how it works.

People that say I haven’t offered solutions are blind.
Your like politicians, you throw out solutions with no way to pay for them. And I love people who say “non Catholics” go to school there. How many “Catholics” don’t go to church. Probably need to change that to practicing Catholics, or don’t make it an issue

Your like politicians, you throw out solutions with no way to pay for them. And I love people who say “non Catholics” go to school there. How many “Catholics” don’t go to church. Probably need to change that to practicing Catholics, or don’t make it an issue
Like what? What exactly are you even talking about?

Elder has hundreds of scholarship programs - you’re telling me creating a new one for non feeder kids is too expensive?

Look at my last list of ideas and tell me what im that list needs a boat load of money to implement. You’re making stuff up.

Last edited:
Like what? What exactly are you even talking about?

Elder has hundreds of scholarship programs - you’re telling me creating a new one for non feeder kids is too expensive?

Look at my last list of ideas and tell me what im that list needs a boat load of money to implement. You’re making stuff up.
Yes, I’m saying anything that will accomplish the goal needs money. Just your smiling face isn’t going to do anything.

This is true although Im not certain what the exact number would be. I think your estimate is larger than what it is in reality

That's terrible. We'd be at another school.

The amount of work it takes to be a D1 prospect in any sport is insane, so it’s hard to blame kids who choose to focus on one sport. I do agree, it’s a problem when coaches force the decision on the kids.

The amount of work it takes to be a D1 prospect in any sport is insane, so it’s hard to blame kids who choose to focus on one sport. I do agree, it’s a problem when coaches force the decision on the kids.

I don't blame the kids but parents and coaches ought to know better and they should be better advocates for kids and their childhoods. Being a DI prospect is so rare it's just dumb to prioritize. If you're good enough in football, playing baseball and basketball won't hurt.

Great coaches usual promote multiple sports. Wish Moeller basketball program would be okay with their kids playing other sports, specifically football.

Absolutely! Things have changed so much since I was there. Some for the good, other things not (in my opinion). I understand most changes and I’m a realist, but that crap about doing one sport has cost them football players. I’m a football guy so it makes me disgruntled ?. Others don’t care.

Miles McBride and Gus Ragland are two of the better FB players at Moeller in past 5 years. Both played multiple sports. McBride would have played FB and BB all 4 years had he not got hurt. Ragland played 3 sports, only to give up Baseball and Basketball his SR year to work on football headed into Miami U. 90% of Moeller multi sport athlete typically settle into one sport due to the year round commitment it now takes to excel in that sport. It's not the 70's or 80's anymore. No way these kids are being forced to choose based on coaches pressure. Sorry

Miles McBride and Gus Ragland are two of the better FB players at Moeller in past 5 years. Both played multiple sports. McBride would have played FB and BB all 4 years had he not got hurt. Ragland played 3 sports, only to give up Baseball and Basketball his SR year to work on football headed into Miami U. 90% of Moeller multi sport athlete typically settle into one sport due to the year round commitment it now takes to excel in that sport. It's not the 70's or 80's anymore. No way these kids are being forced to choose based on coaches pressure. Sorry
Bitner I believe played all 3 sports at Elder from freshman year thru his senior year and played varsity from sophomore to senior year and never regretted it. I think he missed out on some camps that would have gotten him more offers in football. Besides being beat up a bit going from one sport to the next he weathered the grind very well and don't think any of coaches asked him to not play at Elder!

I specifically remember a kid at Moeller (in the last decade), who was All-State as a junior in baseball, then getting pressure from the (then) football coach to give up baseball, so that he could fully take part in off-season weightlifting for football... this kid had no size whatsoever-- and would never have been a contributor to the football team, in any capacity-- so it made no sense to me, that the Moeller football coach would have been pushing him to do that... Fortunately, the kid made the right decision for his future athletic career.

I specifically remember a kid at Moeller (in the last decade), who was All-State as a junior in baseball, then getting pressure from the (then) football coach to give up baseball, so that he could fully take part in off-season weightlifting for football... this kid had no size whatsoever-- and would never have been a contributor to the football team, in any capacity-- so it made no sense to me, that the Moeller football coach would have been pushing him to do that... Fortunately, the kid made the right decision for his future athletic career.

I'm positive those are the exact facts as it relates to this young man. LOL. Moeller has 3-4 kids in the 5'6'' to 5'8'' range making a huge impact on their FB team right now. Was the kid to refer to smaller than 5'6, or was he just not bought into what was expected for him to be a part of the football program? 2 side to every story GX?

I don't blame the kids but parents and coaches ought to know better and they should be better advocates for kids and their childhoods. Being a DI prospect is so rare it's just dumb to prioritize. If you're good enough in football, playing baseball and basketball won't hurt.
I get a little annoyed when I hear about College Coaches (mostly football) saying they want kids playing multiple sports, but then don’t offer a kid bc he can’t make it to a certain camp or 7 on 7. I think they prefer a kid focused on one sport, but don’t want to scare away truly elite athletes who excel in multiple sports.

I'm positive those are the exact facts as it relates to this young man. LOL. Moeller has 3-4 kids in the 5'6'' to 5'8'' range making a huge impact on their FB team right now. Was the kid to refer to smaller than 5'6, or was he just not bought into what was expected for him to be a part of the football program? 2 side to every story GX?
I'm not gonna name him-- but I'll let you do the (easy) detective work-- All-State as a junior in baseball (in the last decade), 5'7" or less-- not very muscular, and NOT possessed of the kind of speed that those two midgets that Moeller is rolling out on the football field this year have-- this kid's skills were in his hands-- hitting and fielding. I know what was happening because this kid was a teammate of somebody I know quite well. He decided to tell the football coach to take a flying leap-- and ended up with a college Division I baseball scholarship-- something he NEVER could have dreamed of getting from playing football.

Proof the season is not over. Anything can happen, and Trinity just proved it. Elder needs to right the ship tomorrow vs. Moeller.

Proof the season is not over. Anything can happen, and Trinity just proved it. Elder needs to right the ship tomorrow vs. Moeller.
Trinity’s biggest advantage was having had Coverdale coach there for 20 years. They were extremely well prepared for X’s up tempo Offense. Offensively, Trinity totally “borrowed” that Quick Hitting Fade route Elder ran successfully last week.